Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
johntrob
sage

Reged: 03/14/11

Loc: Georgia, USA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: greju]
      #5541084 - 11/26/12 09:28 PM

People, get real. It takes us how many posts to figure out there is a problem and not to order? Newbies exempted.

Can we hang this on as a sticky warny?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #5541802 - 11/27/12 10:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

The doors are closed. No one is working there. Readers of this thread should be aware that does not mean they have filed for bankruptcy nor dissolved the corporation.
But it does mean that they are NOT an active retailer, either in store or online.
Recent posts have made clear that posters did not understand that.

I guess that would be hard to understand considering the website is still up and seemingly taking orders.

Don, you seem to know a lot about the situation. Were you an employee there or involved in any other way? Maybe you could let the powers that be know that maybe they should shut down the website if " they are NOT an active retailer, either in store or online." Might alleviate some of the confusion.

I worked for Scope City from Oct.2005-Feb.2012. I'm also a Lumicon dealer and Lumicon is currently operating out of the same building as the HQ of Scope City, so I have my ear to the ground, so to speak.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
      #5542067 - 11/27/12 12:52 PM

In my book, the company is toast. Good riddens, considering the deception regarding the company's health via their website. Even if they re-open their doors, why would anyone do business with them when there are so many other (and much better) choices?

Buh bye.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5542219 - 11/27/12 02:16 PM

Quote:

In my book, the company is toast. Good riddens, considering the deception regarding the company's health via their website. Even if they re-open their doors, why would anyone do business with them when there are so many other (and much better) choices?

Buh bye.

Hanlon's razor seems appropriate for this situation:

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity/incompetence/ignorance/laziness..."

In this case, it seems probable that there is no left to shut the door and clean up the mess. It's like a fishing net snagged on a rock at the bottom of the ocean. It just goes on catching fish until it disintegrates..

Jon

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5542245 - 11/27/12 02:30 PM

Great simile, Jon. well said.

Enjoy the night sky.

Jack

SteveNH
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Millbrae, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5542382 - 11/27/12 04:03 PM

+1

HGSkinner

Reged: 11/28/12

Loc: WI
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: oldstargazer]
      #5544092 - 11/28/12 03:28 PM

Many people check the website http://www.resellerratings.com to see if web retailers are reliable. Unfortunately, no one has posted any reviews of scopecity.com, so it wouldn't have helped in these cases. If anyone who has had a bad experience would be willing to create an account and write a review, it might save someone else from having a similar experience down the road.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5544223 - 11/28/12 05:02 PM

Quote:

Hanlon's razor seems appropriate for this situation:

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity/incompetence/ignorance/laziness..."

Certainly applies to government, I'll give you that...

But nah, you don't need motive to convict. I learned that from the "Law and Order" tv show.

grommit
journeyman

Reged: 12/27/12

#5621163 - 01/13/13 04:27 PM

I just found out about this when I dropped by the Simi store to look for a case. I hadn't been since the last annular eclipse. It looks like the building and warehouse, though showing no sign of recent activity, is still full of scopes and merchandise. Pity.

Edited by grommit (01/13/13 04:33 PM)

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: grommit]
      #5621209 - 01/13/13 04:50 PM

It is a shame for sure all those scopes sitting there going nowhere.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: panhard]
      #5621260 - 01/13/13 05:16 PM

At the risk of sounding like a circling vulture here (well, a drooling and adoring one anyhow!), a Parks Newtonian ota is basically one of my someday-attainable-grail scopes. Will there be an auction somewhere in the coming weeks or months with these glistening mirrors being bid on? I'm broke now of course, but I would perhaps sell a kidney if it meant a chance at ownership of one of those bad boys ...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5621437 - 01/13/13 06:52 PM

I'll see that kidney and raise you a liver lobe....

Hey, if eyepiece boxes are worth money, anything is possible...

Prof

Reged: 09/25/12

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: oldstargazer]
      #5621685 - 01/13/13 09:06 PM

Yep, as of 1/9/13, they are still running their website and still collecting "customer's" money. I paid with PayPal and have already filed a dispute, since I paid for the overnight delivery, and the product still hasn't shipped. I will also file with the BBB. Whoever mentioned mail fraud has a good idea. I will visit my local post office and see if I can get them involved. Anyone here have a contact with the Federal Trade Commission?

Tim

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Prof]
      #5621784 - 01/13/13 09:57 PM

Sorry to hear, Prof. Your local DA might be interested as well.

I appreciate what Jon said above but there is zero excuse for the website to be taking people's money under a false pretense. Ignorance of the law and all that. It's not like I don't have compassion for their situation - I do. Still, after all this time, there is no excuse...

aonifer

Reged: 12/17/11

#5622494 - 01/14/13 11:22 AM

It blows my mind that not only are they still taking orders (and the website updated it's copyright date!), but Paypal is still allowing the money to go out! This has been going on for months, now. I feel like I'm watching a horror movie. "Don't push the checkout button! DON'T PUSH THE CHECKOUT BUTTON!"

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: aonifer]
      #5628616 - 01/17/13 06:24 PM

The copyright date's get updated automatically to reflect the current year.

Don't bother with the BBB. They cannot do anything. Their only leverage is that the company doesn't want a bad BBB rating. If they cannot reach the company, they cannot ask them to respond to the complaints.

I would expect Paypal to be your best bet. Once they close the account, nobody will be able to pay. I am surprised that they have done nothing. Let it be a lesson that PayPal isn't able to respond in a timely manner to something this simple.

Also contact your DA. This is pure fraud.

EDIT: Decided to call Paypal and had a chat with their fraud department. They were very interested in hearing about the issue, and seemed like they were going to act upon it immediately. They were limited in what they could tell me about the account, but they must have seen something because she told me she could see something fishy was going on.

It seems like at this point they will attempt to contact the owner. If he cannot show he's in business, then they will close his account.

Edited by Footbag (01/17/13 06:48 PM)

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5628683 - 01/17/13 07:08 PM

What makes this even worse is that a lot of legitimate astronomy suppliers have very little inventory right now. So, I bet a lot of people see products they can't find anywhere else online and purchase from scopecity. This has been going on far too long. I don't understand why law enforcement hasn't intervened. This is awfully frustrating for the victims, bad for legitimate suppliers, and not good for the hobby, in general.

Doug Reilly
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/08

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Dave74]
      #5630027 - 01/18/13 02:22 PM

Ah, shoot. I have to see this now. I ordered a Parks focuser from them a few days ago. I decided against that focuser, and tried to email to cancel, it got bounced. Called...number disconnected. Then had the bright idea of looking it up online. I have ordered from them in the past. It was only $85, but I put a claim into paypal.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Doug Reilly]
      #5630140 - 01/18/13 03:46 PM

Is it possible to get in touch with the company who does their webhosting and get the site taken down?

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Taylor]
      #5630346 - 01/18/13 06:13 PM

I doubt it if they are still paying for it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9215

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics