Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
Gregen

Reged: 11/25/12

Loc: CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: panhard]
      #5630803 - 01/18/13 11:27 PM

It is sad that such a good store has gone down the rocks with its customers. Some of the telescopes in the store are soo nice. One is from the early 1900s and I bet it and all others are just collecting dust with hundreds of other great things. If only they could pull out of these times and this great store would continue.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: panhard]
      #5630900 - 01/19/13 12:34 AM

Quote:

I doubt it if they are still paying for it.

Well, there's a couple options there. First, if they are monthly, then they are paying for their hosting services. I have had several hosting companies, and they give you a grace period of at most a few days, and if you don't pay, your site is taken down (I had a credit card expire I was using to maintain the site and didn't realize it, that's how I know). The other option is they are paid well in advance; many hosting companies prefer to get an annual payment, and the offer a discount for the larger, upfront fees. If they are paid well through a certain time period, the hosting company doesn't know if the company is out of business - they'll keep hosting it until the contract is up, which could be a while, perhaps.

It wouldn't stay up if it hadn't been paid (or at least, I highly doubt it would). I'm pretty sure of that. But it may not have anything to do with current payments - it could be pre-paid into the future a ways.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: magic612]
      #5849970 - 05/09/13 12:45 PM

Old thread, but I thought this would be an interesting end to it, considering the timing...

I started reading these threads last night, surprised that ScopeCity was in trouble! I went to their website, and sure enough, it seemed to be functioning. I came back to these threads today, just to finish reading them, and decided to try the website again. It looks like someone finally pulled the plug as the pages are now completely blank!

Momerath
sage

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Upstate SC,
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5850891 - 05/09/13 08:30 PM

Nope still functioning. I just went there at 20:30 on 5/5/13. I sure hope no one buys anything from them and gets stuck!

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Momerath]
      #5851959 - 05/10/13 12:55 PM

Their shopping cart is down, so they can't take orders. They need to just go away...

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 35 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8048

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics