Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
CabbageMS

Reged: 12/06/11

Scopecity - a scam?
      #5508322 - 11/07/12 12:50 PM

Hi all!

I am new here so sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong place!

I recently tried to order a mount and counterweight to piggyback my DSLR onto my ETX scope. I ordered from a US site called Scopecity.com. I placed for and paid for my order at the end of July '12. So far I've had nothing to say it's been dispatched.

This site looks genuine enough but I can't get replies from them via the contact us form, the email address nor their phone number? Has anyone else ordered from them before? Have they gone out of business?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GpB311
sage

Reged: 05/29/12

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: CabbageMS]
      #5508362 - 11/07/12 01:23 PM

Its not showing up on their website store locator, so I dont know if its still there, but Ive been to a scope city in Costa Mesa and if its the same company, they seemed totally on the level at the time. It was right after I had gotten my telescope and the people working there were very helpful, however, they did mention that they were just a satellite store and not a major branch.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/03/11

Loc: Western Oklahoma
      #5508372 - 11/07/12 01:29 PM

I ordered one of the dbk imagers from them last december and never got it. I called imaging source and they told me and was later comfirmed from another source that they are not paying their suppliers on time or not all in some cases and therefore not getting the equipment to ship out for customers. Like you I had paid up front and finally had to get the better business involved because the time to file with paypal had already expired. So if you paid with paypal start the process with them to get your money back before it is past the period of time that is allowed with them.

With my case after getting the BBB involved they finally sent me some CCD imager that I had never heard of as compensation for the imager that I ordered but never got. I figured at the time something was better than being out the money that I paid up front but don't like the CCD thing at all since I don't have a guide scope and it requires very long times on target to get anything at all to show up.

So long story short they used to be a very good store but seem to now be having money flow issues.

aamilo

Reged: 02/28/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: oldstargazer]
      #5508377 - 11/07/12 01:37 PM

I read in another thread here (I think in the eyepieces thread) that they have gone out of business. Hopefully you paid via CC, if so get them involved now.

CabbageMS

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: aamilo]
      #5508433 - 11/07/12 02:12 PM

Oh brilliant... just trying to recover my money with Paypal, but because it's gone past 45 days they won't allow me to dispute it. The problem is when dealing with the US (I'm in the UK), things can quite feasibly take more than 6 weeks to arrive, so that is an annoying system Paypal have there.

It's concerning that their could still be people going onto that website and placing and payign for orders. It looks like i've lost my $90. :'(

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5508460 - 11/07/12 02:32 PM

Quote:

Oh brilliant... just trying to recover my money with Paypal, but because it's gone past 45 days they won't allow me to dispute it. The problem is when dealing with the US (I'm in the UK), things can quite feasibly take more than 6 weeks to arrive, so that is an annoying system Paypal have there.

It's concerning that their could still be people going onto that website and placing and payign for orders. It looks like i've lost my $90. :'(

I am not sure if you have any recourse. Hopefully there is something you can do... The local Scope City closed down several months ago.

Scope City Closes its doors

Jon

barbarosa
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/11/10

Loc: "lamorinda", CA
      #5508469 - 11/07/12 02:41 PM

It is barely possible that the Better Business Bureau can help resolve your problem.

People overlook the BBB as both an evaluative resource before buying and a means of resolving a disspute after buying.

Scope City INC gets an F rating (the lowest).

Scope City is a California corporation but not a publicly traded, so the State has no real information.

To find out if the company is bankrupt you need to use a business service, such as D&B. These are not free, but many libraries have access.

The company is in business, although with fewer stores than it onece had.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

#5508472 - 11/07/12 02:43 PM

That is exactly what happened to me as well. Just so others know paypal told me that if you have paid using them and have not received the item and it looks like you will go over the time limit file a dispute so you are covered and then they can just close it out if the item arrives.

Contact the BBB in their area with the details of the case and they will get on it for you and that is what got them to finally take my calls and do something for me.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5508555 - 11/07/12 03:30 PM

I am sorry about your problems. Most astronomical vendors are on the up and up.

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: GeneT]
      #5508581 - 11/07/12 03:43 PM

All I can say is lick your wounds and re-group.

Grandpa Jim
old fogey

Reged: 08/04/12

Loc: GREAT AMERICAN DESERT
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: panhard]
      #5508728 - 11/07/12 05:04 PM

I ALWAYS use "PayPal" whenever possible for just that reason...............

CabbageMS

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Grandpa Jim]
      #5508739 - 11/07/12 05:11 PM

I'm not exactly sure what the Better Business Bureau is, certainly havent got that in the UK as far as I know. I'll google it and see if its something they can help me with.

pdfermat
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/12/07

Loc: Wisconsin
      #5508954 - 11/07/12 07:59 PM

This amazes me - I just went to their website and there is absolutely no indication that they are closed. So at this point are they just taking people's money and not shipping items? How can this be even close to legal? What am I missing here????

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: pdfermat]
      #5508962 - 11/07/12 08:10 PM

This is BS. If Scopecity is out of business, where did this man's money go. Someone cashed in. Someone should be held accountable for either delivering the product or refunding the money. This is outrageous.

I googled for a local (MA) scope shop just last week and a scope city site was the only thing to come up. I realized that they weren't local so I moved on. But these people are straight ripping people off!

Dave Hederich
sage

Reged: 09/12/07

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Dave74]
      #5509089 - 11/07/12 09:44 PM

Wow, I just visted their website, and it really looks legit. If they're still taking people's money and not delivering product, it's pretty much organized crime.

la200o
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/09/08

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Dave Hederich]
      #5509117 - 11/07/12 10:14 PM

If they're closed and taking money, it's mail fraud, a federal offense.

Bill

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5509144 - 11/07/12 10:29 PM

Scope City was certainly a company at one point. I visited their San Francisco store when I was visiting out there. Looks to me like it's fallen apart. Stores have closed and they are not running a good online business. Interesting for sure. I had visited their site a few times when I was looking for stuff. Glad I didn't purchase anything. We'll see if they come back or not, but this won't help them.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5509174 - 11/07/12 11:03 PM

I got lucky and the guy that was running shipping at scopecity gave me a heads up that I would probably not get my item the day he quit. I had been calling about once a week when it went past 60 days with no imager and kept getting the standard response that it hadn't arrived yet from the manufacturer and then I just happened to call on the right day to get the true answer from the shipping man. That was when I called imaging source and told them about my order with scopecity and they did inform me that they had not been paid so they would not be shipping any product to scopecity.

I called scopecity and asked to speak with someone in charge and the lady on the phone said no one was in charge. I asked to speak with the manager and she said there was no manager. I then called paypal and of course it was way past the point of being able to get anything from them. However they did call and talk with scopecity about my case. I also posted an online report with the BBB for the store in Simi Valley which was listed in the online store guide. They responded in a day or two that a report had been made and suggested that I try talking to them again. That time they took my call and did in fact transfer me to someone to help me with my lack of product and the fact that they had almost 300 dollars of my money. I had already browsed their catalog looking for items of similar value to what they owed me and that was when they made the offer of that CCD camera. Probably a good camera, Optic STar, but I just really didn't want a CCD camera and still don't like using it. But figured might as well get something for the money that I had already paid them.

Anyway good luck and for sure file a report with the BBB online. I used Bing to find the office in that county and they had a form to fill out on line. I did post all this back when it happened but it got deleted after a few days I think.

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
      #5509201 - 11/07/12 11:20 PM

I saw your info on the BBB. Very interesting stuff on there.

I can tell you one company that is super solid... Astronomics.com (our sponsor). I've had good luck with them every time. Like clockwork on the shipping (of course I'm not too far away from them). I find their descriptions of products to be informative and honest. I also find their stock indicators to be pretty accurate and avoids those misleading purchases where the item isn't actually there.

Optcorp is another company I've had good luck with so far.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

#5509223 - 11/07/12 11:41 PM

I have bought lots of stuff from Astronomics myself and would have bought the imaging source camera from them but they don't or didn't carry it, haven't looked for it in a while since I finnaly got one from Starizona. I for sure have nothing but praise for Astronomics, good products, great prices, and great service. I got my CG5 from them and it can do stuff that isn't supposed to be possible.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5509226 - 11/07/12 11:45 PM

Quote:

Another good reason to H8 paypal, and avoid them when possible.

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: barbarosa]
      #5509248 - 11/08/12 12:08 AM

Quote:

hahah, I looked up Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird the same owner of Astromart. Anacortes and Astromart both have an F rating. I'm sure Herb kicked someone without telling them why and then didn't respond to the BBB.

Astronomics has a A+ rating.

Astronomics has always been good go me, quick to respond to e-mails. Telescopes.com has been solid site too, I don't know if I ever paid for shipping there. Scopestuff has also been a good experience.

Just sucks there are a few bad sites out there that make an already expensive hobby more expensive or frustrating.

Jim

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5509256 - 11/08/12 12:17 AM

Quote:

Paypal is a pretty solid company. They don't fit everyone needs for sure, but they are a pretty safe and secure way to buy something online. It's not paypals fault scopecity sucks. They simply hold part of the sellers funds in a reserve for 45 days. With the exception of international in this case, that's typically long enough to get a shipment without something going wrong.

I'd never trust a money order with buying equipment online. That's WAY too scary for my blood.

cloud_cover
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/17/10

Loc: Restaurant at the End of the U...
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: jerwin]
      #5509289 - 11/08/12 01:09 AM

I'm sorry to hear about your fiasco.
So far the retailers I've used: Astronomics, OPTCorp, Agena have all been good and they don't take my money until the stock is physically in.
I hope the BBB manages to help you settle your case!

ozyrithm

Reged: 11/01/12

#5509497 - 11/08/12 08:09 AM

Quote:

Paypal is extremely buyer friendly in any case. If you really want to hate Paypal try running a business through it without getting eaten alive by unscrupulous chargebacks.

ozyrithm

Reged: 11/01/12

#5509520 - 11/08/12 08:28 AM

Quote:

I placed for and paid for my order at the end of July '12. So far I've had nothing to say it's been dispatched.

Sorry to hear that.

That last sentence is particularly distressing. Honestly, if a business can't give you a shipping confirmation and tracking number within 2-3 days at most, it's time to start to the process to dispute.

I've dealt with plenty of honest people selling things online for a living, from Buffalo to Tokyo. If a guy working out of his uncle's garage can handle those logistics, there's no reason anyone else can't.

Quote:

This site looks genuine enough but I can't get replies from them via the contact us form, the email address nor their phone number?

There was a time when the quality of a website could be a useful, but not necessarily accurate indicator of the legitimacy of a business. In today's highly frameworked, templated web it's easier to toss up a slick website than us a word processor.

Personally, I wish more vendors would sell through places like Amazon, letting them handle the fulfillment, deal with the liability for improper packaging and benefit from the trust associated with the name.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: ozyrithm]
      #5509524 - 11/08/12 08:32 AM

Even though the 45 days have passed, I would still contact Paypal. A friend was able to resolve a dispute several months after the dead line and Paypal refunded his money.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5509542 - 11/08/12 08:46 AM

Quote:

Scope City was certainly a company at one point. I visited their San Francisco store when I was visiting out there. Looks to me like it's fallen apart. Stores have closed and they are not running a good online business. Interesting for sure. I had visited their site a few times when I was looking for stuff. Glad I didn't purchase anything. We'll see if they come back or not, but this won't help them.

Same here; I almost ordered a Glatter laser/Tublug from them a couple of weeks ago. Luckily, I had a discount card from Woodland Hills (TelescopeS.net) and it was delivered yesterday. (BTW, nice laser/Tublug, came in bolt cases.) The site has been there a long time and appeared to be a legit business. With today's economy though, luxury item businesses (and astronomy equipment would fall into that category) are having a hard time. Hopefully they'll get it straightened out; but it will still take them awhile to reestablish a customer base; trust in this hobby is key to having a succesful business. People will deal with slow (like ES is going thru now), but no product/no contact--just plain wrong.

aamilo

Reged: 02/28/12

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
      #5510034 - 11/08/12 02:06 PM

Quote:

Here is the post I was talking about: Scope City Closed

Did you contact Paypal yet? I would do it anyways and tell them what happened. Next, did you by chance use a Credit Card with Paypal? If so, call your credit card company. I know they would take care of it for you. Lastly, you can try the BBB online here: BBB File a Complaint

Hope this helps.

GpB311
sage

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: aamilo]
      #5510080 - 11/08/12 02:45 PM

Sad to hear its really this bad, I had hoped to go to their Costa Mesa location from time to time after having such a good experience there.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5510123 - 11/08/12 03:18 PM

Quote:

Quote:

hahah, I looked up Anacortes Telescope & Wild Bird the same owner of Astromart. Anacortes and Astromart both have an F rating. I'm sure Herb kicked someone without telling them why and then didn't respond to the BBB.

Jim

I'm not surprised to hear this at all. I went into his store years ago with money in hand to purchase a 4" Tak refractor. The staff were jerks, and ran me out of their store like I was some kind of street person. When I called the owner (Herb) the following day, he just started screaming at me on the phone about how I littered in his parking lot (don't have any idea what he was talking about).
He's lost about $10,000 worth of my business since that happened. Stay clear of Anacortes!

panhard
It's All Good

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: ozyrithm]
      #5510175 - 11/08/12 04:03 PM

I think that a few of you missed this.
Quote:

Mister T.

Reged: 09/15/09

Loc: Sun Prairie, Wisconsin
      #5510177 - 11/08/12 04:04 PM

I recently ordered a pair of Park setting circles from ScopeCity. They reported "out of stock", but that they were expected shortly.

After 3 weeks I cancelled the order and went directly to Parks.

That's about all I can tell ya.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/09/04

Loc: Moorpark, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Mister T.]
      #5510293 - 11/08/12 05:24 PM Attachment (42 downloads)

I just drove over there to check out Scope City. It is definitely closed. This is their main store in Simi valley, CA.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Steve_M_M]
      #5510302 - 11/08/12 05:30 PM Attachment (39 downloads)

What I want to know is when is the Going out of Business Sale? Check out the backroom just a month ago.

Steve_M_M
Carpal Tunnel

#5510307 - 11/08/12 05:32 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

More.....

Mary B
Vendor - Echo Astronomy and Electronics

Reged: 05/21/10

Loc: Minnesota
      #5510338 - 11/08/12 05:56 PM

Who is the owner? Try a personal call if you can track down his phone number. You can also file a claim in small claims court, the fee is usually very little.

hcsceo

Reged: 10/14/09

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Mary B]
      #5510358 - 11/08/12 06:13 PM

The guy is in the UK. I bet everything on the floor is on floor leasing. Once they call that in you shut the doors. If he is taking money on the website and not delivering it'll catch up with him soon enough. If I had to guess someone around here that knows him has already contacted him about this thread.

Dave74
sage

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: hcsceo]
      #5510377 - 11/08/12 06:27 PM

What a GD bum!

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
      #5510463 - 11/08/12 08:04 PM

IIRC, there was a post a while ago about order processing problems with the Scope City on-line store. I don't remember the particulars. However, I read the thread as a heads-up.

Since 2005, the San Francisco Scope City is where I bought four binoculars. On the same day that I luckily got some Baader Astrosolar Film (one week before the transit of Venus), I made an in-store delivery/pickup order for a Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX. (This is the way I previously obtained my Pentax 20x60 PCF WP II.) After waiting for more than two months, I cancelled the order. No charges to my credit card ever occurred. I did wonder if Scope City might be in trouble with suppliers, but it is a reality that the Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX has been difficult to find recently. When Eagle Optics showed "in stock" on their website, I placed an immediate phone order. The binocular arrived A-OK in a few days.

I was sorry that I couldn't get the Fujinon from Scope City. Amateur astronomers are fortunate when there's a real store to visit. Presently, I have no reason to contact or go to the San Francisco Scope City. If it's gone, that is a shame because I have enjoyed my visits.

Dave74
sage

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Man in a Tub]
      #5510703 - 11/08/12 10:25 PM

Well, the internet site should be taken down at the least. Gimme a break.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

#5510727 - 11/08/12 10:37 PM

Well I just got an idea. Why don't we and all our friends get on twitter and tweet that know one should use the scope city website to order anything because you won't get it.

Dave74
sage

#5510804 - 11/08/12 11:17 PM

I just went over to Astronomy fourum to spread the word. Not sure the mods want to hear it. Weird.

Dave74
sage

#5510891 - 11/09/12 12:12 AM

...and banned from Astronomy forum. Whatever. I guess I'm what they call a vendor troll.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5511049 - 11/09/12 05:08 AM

Quote:

More.....

The Scope City in San Diego was much the same.. Lots of scopes but they didn't have the stuff that people wanted. Parks Newtonians on EQ mounts (owned by the same people) never made it out of the 1980's...

For southern California astronomers, Woodland Hills is a great store, OPT is a great store...

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5511310 - 11/09/12 09:44 AM

Quote:

...and banned from Astronomy forum. Whatever. I guess I'm what they call a vendor troll.

Banned for life here too as a menace to society. CN seems to be full of us.....we're like the Astronomy Antiforum.

CabbageMS

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5512771 - 11/10/12 07:38 AM

Thanks for taking the time to reply fellas.

I went to my bank but unfortunately they couldn't help, firstly because I paid through debit card and secondly it went through the paypal system and therefore is paypal's responsibility. I do find it frustrating that Paypal still accept payments through to Scopecity when they've been made aware of the problems. Perhaps it'd be worth putting some form of sticky somewhere to warn people? As the website still accepts payments and looks legit.

Thanks for the link to the BBB, I'll see what they can do.

CabbageMS

#5512790 - 11/10/12 07:50 AM

Ok I've submitted a complaint through BBB, let's see what happenes.

Reid W

Reged: 10/06/10

Loc: Shreveport, LA
      #5513265 - 11/10/12 02:30 PM

Rats. I've initiated a paypal claim too. It's beginning to look like the dual saddle at such a low price was indeed "too good to be true".

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5513411 - 11/10/12 04:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Paypal is a pretty solid company. They don't fit everyone needs for sure, but they are a pretty safe and secure way to buy something online. It's not paypals fault scopecity sucks. They simply hold part of the sellers funds in a reserve for 45 days. With the exception of international in this case, that's typically long enough to get a shipment without something going wrong.

I'd never trust a money order with buying equipment online. That's WAY too scary for my blood.

Guess I'm a few days late reading this. You're right this is ScopeCity's fault not Paypal, and yes Paypal is solid, that's not necessarily what I was getting at nor was it my intent to whitewash over ScopeCity. It's just that I've never felt safe buying new and using Paypal, mostly because of the return/refund hassles, but also due to their fees which nickel and dime me to death. American Express Blue Card is so much more secure and VERY EASY when submitting claims; and I don't have to worry about trying to recover the Paypal fee. I use my Paypal account only for when I sell astro gear, and that's a last resort, since I much prefer check/money order; unless postage is greater than the Paypal fee.

panhard
It's All Good

#5513551 - 11/10/12 06:57 PM

Lets remember the original topic is ScopeCity.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5513562 - 11/10/12 07:11 PM

Sorry Herb. Does seem to have been pretty much summed up though, don't do business with ScopeCity, they're closed. IIRC at least one of the CN members here used to be affiliated, but is on his own now. And I seem to remember reading something quite some time back about them closing.

panhard
It's All Good

#5513567 - 11/10/12 07:13 PM

Just a reminder that is all.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

#5513726 - 11/10/12 09:41 PM

I just want to remind everyone also about what paypal told me while they were helping me get through to socpecity when they did this same thing to me. I spoke with a paypal rep on the phone about this issue and was told that if you have ordered an item from anyone, anyone at all and it looks like it might not get to you within the 45 days, FILE a claim with paypal for item not received. He said that they would rather have someone submit a claim that might have to be closed because the item has arrived rather than have a customer miss the deadline and not receive their item and not be able to get a refund. So don't forget file a claim if the deadline is getting close, you can always close it.

Dave74
sage

#5513749 - 11/10/12 10:12 PM

Great advice.

scopeboy42
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Loc: Garner, NC USA
      #5519601 - 11/14/12 02:22 PM

Quote:

I just drove over there to check out Scope City. It is definitely closed. This is their main store in Simi valley, CA.

Can we assume that Parks Optical (next door and the same owner) is closed as well?

Reid W

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Reid W]
      #5519682 - 11/14/12 03:14 PM

Upgraded to a claim. They have 10 days to respond.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: scopeboy42]
      #5519690 - 11/14/12 03:18 PM

Quote:

Scope City 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
Scope City unconditionally guarantees that you will be 100% satisfied with your mail order purchase, or just
return the merchandise in original condition within 15 days for a Full Refund, less shipping and handling charges!

Astro88

Reged: 08/30/09

#5519884 - 11/14/12 06:04 PM

If they are continuing to accept orders and payments, but not delivering anything and refusing refunds, you can file a complaint with the state's Attorney General (http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general). It doesn't cost anything, and if there is fraud, the Attorney General's office will take them to court - you don't need to.

However, if they simply fell on hard times, and went out of business after you placed an order, then there is probably not much you can do, and the States Attorney probably won't get involved.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Astro88]
      #5521187 - 11/15/12 12:57 PM

Scope City and Parks are closed.
Lumicon was purchased by Marc & Debbie Neveux and is up and running and shipping again.
The website is still up probably because the web host hasn't noticed the business is closed.
I left there in early February 2012 and the last Scope City employee left on Nov.1 and is now working at Woodland Hills Camera.
As far as I know, SC is not currently operating.
There may be a liquidation sale in the near future--keep your eyes open.

GpB311
sage

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Starman1]
      #5521195 - 11/15/12 01:03 PM

Aside from here, any suggestions about where such a sale might be announced? Would they update the site for that?

panhard
It's All Good

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: GpB311]
      #5521211 - 11/15/12 01:17 PM

Someone here might catch it and post about it. Just keep an eye on their site.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5521232 - 11/15/12 01:28 PM

Doubtful there would be a lot to liquidate. A lot of these businesses don't "own" their inventory. It is "on loan" from the mfg...most of it will go back. Most of what is left over will be used scopes/mounts and accessories (filters, collimaters, eyepieces, etc). Not that there won't be some bargains, but don't expect everything they had in the store to be up for grabs. Truthfully, I hate seeing anyone in this business go bust. I'd rather have them up and running...

faltered
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/01/05

#5521247 - 11/15/12 01:39 PM

yet their website scopecity.com continues to be able to accept orders? That's a terrible thing and the word should be spread that they are no longer in business.

RTLR 12
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/04/08

Loc: The Great Pacific NorthWest
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Astro88]
      #5521364 - 11/15/12 02:48 PM

Quote:

If they are continuing to accept orders and payments, but not delivering anything and refusing refunds, you can file a complaint with the state's Attorney General (http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general). It doesn't cost anything, and if there is fraud, the Attorney General's office will take them to court - you don't need to.

However, if they simply fell on hard times, and went out of business after you placed an order, then there is probably not much you can do, and the States Attorney probably won't get involved.

If they file for bankruptcy you can file claim against them in court.

Stan

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: RTLR 12]
      #5521425 - 11/15/12 03:25 PM

"If they file for bankruptcy you can file claim against them in court."

Costing you extra $$$$; and believe me, the creditors will get paid before you do. Chances are you'll end up with nothing, maybe a penny or two on the dollar if you're lucky. Sorry, that's just the way business law works....

Dave Hederich
sage

Reged: 09/12/07

#5522046 - 11/15/12 10:26 PM

The main question would be if they continued to process credit card payments from the website after they were "out of business." That has to fall into a different classification than simply closing down the store and "forgetting" to shut down the website.

Gastrol
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/04/11

Loc: los angeles
      #5522060 - 11/15/12 10:33 PM

Hope they don't turn out to be another Pocono...

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5522095 - 11/15/12 11:07 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure if you have any recourse. Hopefully there is something you can do... The local Scope City closed down several months ago.

Scope City Closes its doors

Jon

The complaint on the BBB site dated 1-6-2012 I find curious.

http://www.santabarbara.bbb.org/business-reviews/Rescue-Equipment-Supplies/Sc...

And the website is still up as of today?

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
      #5522150 - 11/16/12 12:07 AM

If you were stateside this'd be grounds for a lawsuit on the otherhand I never would've let it go beyond thirty days without stopping the process.
Its too bad.

I'd contact the states attorney too. Alas you r across the pond and they know they've got you over a barrel. You could make a free google viewable website presenting your case and others. You still wont get your money back but you'll be acting constructively in warning others - IF infact they are the thieves this thread portrays them as.

EJN
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/01/05

Loc: 53 miles west of Venus
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: greju]
      #5528494 - 11/19/12 06:04 PM

Quote:

And the website is still up as of today?

Not only is the website still up, when you click on "Store Locator" you get:

"Visit Scope City showrooms throughout California with more showrooms in other
states Coming Soon!"

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Gastrol]
      #5528500 - 11/19/12 06:08 PM

Quote:

Hope they don't turn out to be another Pocono...

I thought they already were.

iceblaze
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/15/11

Loc: 33.9° N, 118.4° W Lawndale, ...
      #5529259 - 11/20/12 01:09 AM

Quote:

Doubtful there would be a lot to liquidate. A lot of these businesses don't "own" their inventory.

I don't know about that. I was at their Simi Valley location about two months ago and they had some amazing specimens. I'm talking 8-10" brass refractors. I don't remember the specifics as I only had a glance, but they had a lot of awesome scopes and tons of parts laying around to boot. If they liquidate, the Simi Valley location is where all the good stuff is

-James

Reid W

#5539207 - 11/25/12 06:29 PM

Scope City's 10 day window to respond to Pay Pal has passed. Due to the non-response of Scope City, Pay Pal has returned my money today. Thanks Pay Pal. If you have not received your order, don't let your time expire to collect a refund from your credit card company or pay pal.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

#5539585 - 11/25/12 11:00 PM

Glad you were able to get your refund via paypal. They have always come through when I have had a claim and from now on when a delivery is looking like it will come after the time limit I will for sure file a claim just in case.

Reid W

#5540205 - 11/26/12 12:12 PM

Also, it just goes to show that a slick website doesn't necessarily mean that you will get your stuff.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5540269 - 11/26/12 12:59 PM Attachment (22 downloads)

Just checked the State of Colorado Sec of State website. They still show Scope City as an active corporation; nothing showing as filed for dissolution (see attached)......

Starman1

#5540290 - 11/26/12 01:15 PM

The doors are closed. No one is working there. Readers of this thread should be aware that does not mean they have filed for bankruptcy nor dissolved the corporation.
But it does mean that they are NOT an active retailer, either in store or online.
Recent posts have made clear that posters did not understand that.

dgreyson
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/06/12

Loc: South Carolina
      #5540705 - 11/26/12 05:30 PM

I spoke to a lady who answered the phone at Parks optical (part of scope city) and she said they were going through "Re Orginization" and hoped to be back in business next month. Which i expect means they are trying to work out their debts with creditors so I wouldnt be too hopeful they will open again unless someone steps up with some cash to lend.

greju
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/13/05

#5541037 - 11/26/12 08:59 PM

Quote:

The doors are closed. No one is working there. Readers of this thread should be aware that does not mean they have filed for bankruptcy nor dissolved the corporation.
But it does mean that they are NOT an active retailer, either in store or online.

I guess that would be hard to understand considering the website is still up and seemingly taking orders.

Don, you seem to know alot about the situation. Were you an employee there or involved in any other way? Maybe you could let the powers that be know that maybe they should shut down the website if " they are NOT an active retailer, either in store or online." Might alleviate some of the confusion.

johntrob
sage

Reged: 03/14/11

Loc: Georgia, USA
      #5541084 - 11/26/12 09:28 PM

People, get real. It takes us how many posts to figure out there is a problem and not to order? Newbies exempted.

Can we hang this on as a sticky warny?

Starman1

#5541802 - 11/27/12 10:26 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I guess that would be hard to understand considering the website is still up and seemingly taking orders.

Don, you seem to know a lot about the situation. Were you an employee there or involved in any other way? Maybe you could let the powers that be know that maybe they should shut down the website if " they are NOT an active retailer, either in store or online." Might alleviate some of the confusion.

I worked for Scope City from Oct.2005-Feb.2012. I'm also a Lumicon dealer and Lumicon is currently operating out of the same building as the HQ of Scope City, so I have my ear to the ground, so to speak.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5542067 - 11/27/12 12:52 PM

In my book, the company is toast. Good riddens, considering the deception regarding the company's health via their website. Even if they re-open their doors, why would anyone do business with them when there are so many other (and much better) choices?

Buh bye.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5542219 - 11/27/12 02:16 PM

Quote:

In my book, the company is toast. Good riddens, considering the deception regarding the company's health via their website. Even if they re-open their doors, why would anyone do business with them when there are so many other (and much better) choices?

Buh bye.

Hanlon's razor seems appropriate for this situation:

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity/incompetence/ignorance/laziness..."

In this case, it seems probable that there is no left to shut the door and clean up the mess. It's like a fishing net snagged on a rock at the bottom of the ocean. It just goes on catching fish until it disintegrates..

Jon

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
      #5542245 - 11/27/12 02:30 PM

Great simile, Jon. well said.

Enjoy the night sky.

Jack

SteveNH
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Millbrae, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5542382 - 11/27/12 04:03 PM

+1

HGSkinner

Reged: 11/28/12

Loc: WI
      #5544092 - 11/28/12 03:28 PM

Many people check the website http://www.resellerratings.com to see if web retailers are reliable. Unfortunately, no one has posted any reviews of scopecity.com, so it wouldn't have helped in these cases. If anyone who has had a bad experience would be willing to create an account and write a review, it might save someone else from having a similar experience down the road.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5544223 - 11/28/12 05:02 PM

Quote:

Hanlon's razor seems appropriate for this situation:

"Never attribute to malice, that which can be explained by stupidity/incompetence/ignorance/laziness..."

Certainly applies to government, I'll give you that...

But nah, you don't need motive to convict. I learned that from the "Law and Order" tv show.

grommit
journeyman

Reged: 12/27/12

#5621163 - 01/13/13 04:27 PM

I just found out about this when I dropped by the Simi store to look for a case. I hadn't been since the last annular eclipse. It looks like the building and warehouse, though showing no sign of recent activity, is still full of scopes and merchandise. Pity.

Edited by grommit (01/13/13 04:33 PM)

panhard
It's All Good

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: grommit]
      #5621209 - 01/13/13 04:50 PM

It is a shame for sure all those scopes sitting there going nowhere.

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

#5621260 - 01/13/13 05:16 PM

At the risk of sounding like a circling vulture here (well, a drooling and adoring one anyhow!), a Parks Newtonian ota is basically one of my someday-attainable-grail scopes. Will there be an auction somewhere in the coming weeks or months with these glistening mirrors being bid on? I'm broke now of course, but I would perhaps sell a kidney if it meant a chance at ownership of one of those bad boys ...

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5621437 - 01/13/13 06:52 PM

I'll see that kidney and raise you a liver lobe....

Hey, if eyepiece boxes are worth money, anything is possible...

Prof

Reged: 09/25/12

#5621685 - 01/13/13 09:06 PM

Yep, as of 1/9/13, they are still running their website and still collecting "customer's" money. I paid with PayPal and have already filed a dispute, since I paid for the overnight delivery, and the product still hasn't shipped. I will also file with the BBB. Whoever mentioned mail fraud has a good idea. I will visit my local post office and see if I can get them involved. Anyone here have a contact with the Federal Trade Commission?

Tim

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Prof]
      #5621784 - 01/13/13 09:57 PM

Sorry to hear, Prof. Your local DA might be interested as well.

I appreciate what Jon said above but there is zero excuse for the website to be taking people's money under a false pretense. Ignorance of the law and all that. It's not like I don't have compassion for their situation - I do. Still, after all this time, there is no excuse...

aonifer

Reged: 12/17/11

#5622494 - 01/14/13 11:22 AM

It blows my mind that not only are they still taking orders (and the website updated it's copyright date!), but Paypal is still allowing the money to go out! This has been going on for months, now. I feel like I'm watching a horror movie. "Don't push the checkout button! DON'T PUSH THE CHECKOUT BUTTON!"

Footbag
Postmaster

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: aonifer]
      #5628616 - 01/17/13 06:24 PM

The copyright date's get updated automatically to reflect the current year.

Don't bother with the BBB. They cannot do anything. Their only leverage is that the company doesn't want a bad BBB rating. If they cannot reach the company, they cannot ask them to respond to the complaints.

I would expect Paypal to be your best bet. Once they close the account, nobody will be able to pay. I am surprised that they have done nothing. Let it be a lesson that PayPal isn't able to respond in a timely manner to something this simple.

Also contact your DA. This is pure fraud.

EDIT: Decided to call Paypal and had a chat with their fraud department. They were very interested in hearing about the issue, and seemed like they were going to act upon it immediately. They were limited in what they could tell me about the account, but they must have seen something because she told me she could see something fishy was going on.

It seems like at this point they will attempt to contact the owner. If he cannot show he's in business, then they will close his account.

Edited by Footbag (01/17/13 06:48 PM)

Dave74
sage

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Footbag]
      #5628683 - 01/17/13 07:08 PM

What makes this even worse is that a lot of legitimate astronomy suppliers have very little inventory right now. So, I bet a lot of people see products they can't find anywhere else online and purchase from scopecity. This has been going on far too long. I don't understand why law enforcement hasn't intervened. This is awfully frustrating for the victims, bad for legitimate suppliers, and not good for the hobby, in general.

Doug Reilly
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/08

#5630027 - 01/18/13 02:22 PM

Ah, shoot. I have to see this now. I ordered a Parks focuser from them a few days ago. I decided against that focuser, and tried to email to cancel, it got bounced. Called...number disconnected. Then had the bright idea of looking it up online. I have ordered from them in the past. It was only $85, but I put a claim into paypal.

Taylor
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/10/05

Loc: Owasso, OK
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Doug Reilly]
      #5630140 - 01/18/13 03:46 PM

Is it possible to get in touch with the company who does their webhosting and get the site taken down?

panhard
It's All Good

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Taylor]
      #5630346 - 01/18/13 06:13 PM

I doubt it if they are still paying for it.

Gregen

Reged: 11/25/12

Loc: CA
      #5630803 - 01/18/13 11:27 PM

It is sad that such a good store has gone down the rocks with its customers. Some of the telescopes in the store are soo nice. One is from the early 1900s and I bet it and all others are just collecting dust with hundreds of other great things. If only they could pull out of these times and this great store would continue.

magic612
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/30/08

Loc: S. of Chicago's light dome
      #5630900 - 01/19/13 12:34 AM

Quote:

I doubt it if they are still paying for it.

Well, there's a couple options there. First, if they are monthly, then they are paying for their hosting services. I have had several hosting companies, and they give you a grace period of at most a few days, and if you don't pay, your site is taken down (I had a credit card expire I was using to maintain the site and didn't realize it, that's how I know). The other option is they are paid well in advance; many hosting companies prefer to get an annual payment, and the offer a discount for the larger, upfront fees. If they are paid well through a certain time period, the hosting company doesn't know if the company is out of business - they'll keep hosting it until the contract is up, which could be a while, perhaps.

It wouldn't stay up if it hadn't been paid (or at least, I highly doubt it would). I'm pretty sure of that. But it may not have anything to do with current payments - it could be pre-paid into the future a ways.

mayidunk
Don't Ask...

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Betwixt & Between...
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: magic612]
      #5849970 - 05/09/13 12:45 PM

Old thread, but I thought this would be an interesting end to it, considering the timing...

I started reading these threads last night, surprised that ScopeCity was in trouble! I went to their website, and sure enough, it seemed to be functioning. I came back to these threads today, just to finish reading them, and decided to try the website again. It looks like someone finally pulled the plug as the pages are now completely blank!

Momerath
sage

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Upstate SC,
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #5850891 - 05/09/13 08:30 PM

Nope still functioning. I just went there at 20:30 on 5/5/13. I sure hope no one buys anything from them and gets stuck!

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Momerath]
      #5851959 - 05/10/13 12:55 PM

Their shopping cart is down, so they can't take orders. They need to just go away...

collaredkeeper

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: Redlands, CA
      #6529043 - 05/16/14 01:19 PM

They are still selling stuff....what the heck!

Check out the SBIG ST-8300M for $1995! Not only is this old stock (SBIG isn't even selling them anymore), but it's the same price as their new STF models.

One last and important thing is this phrase they are using in the listing:
"DUE TO PERSISTENT BACK-ORDER STATUS, EXPECT A 1-MONTH OR LONGER DELAY FOR DELIVERY" Sounds like close to the same amount of delay paypal needs before closing the ability to dispute the problem.

Why are these guys still out there? I feel bad for the guys who've gotten scammed by them.

P.s. their cart is still alive and working, so I don't believe they are just parking their domain name. Maybe a change in service or management?

EDIT: Appears the cart doesn't actually work, thanks for the comments. You can ignore this post, it looks like they are out of business and just letting their website carry on.

Edited by collaredkeeper (05/17/14 09:11 PM)

Bright_Light
journeyman

Reged: 03/14/14

Loc: Las Vegas, NV
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: collaredkeeper]
      #6530169 - 05/17/14 01:07 AM

Can't someone in Cali see if the store is in fact open.?Yes, indeed this could be a scam. Copyright at the bottom reflects 2014. A who.is check says its inactive and expires Nov 2014.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#6530706 - 05/17/14 11:36 AM Attachment (11 downloads)

Quote:

They are still selling stuff....what the heck!

Just like one year ago, checkout is shut down. This is what happens when you click the checkout button.

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Bright_Light]
      #6530978 - 05/17/14 02:13 PM

Quote:

Can't someone in Cali see if the store is in fact open.?Yes, indeed this could be a scam. Copyright at the bottom reflects 2014. A who.is check says its inactive and expires Nov 2014.

Either earlier in this thread or another one, the stores have been reported closed.

My last contact with the SF store was around September 2012.

Edited by Man in a Tub (05/17/14 02:15 PM)

collaredkeeper

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: Redlands, CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Bright_Light]
      #6531618 - 05/17/14 09:10 PM

Quote:

I think that solves it then, that and the checkout is not "fully" working. It must definitely be closing with the webhosting probably paid for until Nov. Thanks for that research, it's unfortunate as someone spent a lot of time developing the website and business.

Glen A W
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/04/08

Loc: WEST VIRGINIA USA
      #6532700 - 05/18/14 03:11 PM

It was a business that time passed by. I thought it was a miracle they kept going as long as they did. The Parks products were just about the best in their day. Their day was thirty or forty years ago, though! The fiberglass tubes were particularly famous.

Actual stores where you can look at scopes are something many of us will never see. I make a point of visiting any which are near places I travel to, just to see what's going on. Not much, usually.

Glen

samovu

Reged: 07/05/13

Loc: So CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: Glen A W]
      #6533050 - 05/18/14 06:40 PM

I think they may be under new ownership. Will visit in the next week a report. Data from the past:

- Noticed them when visiting a nearby company back maybe August of last year and they were not open for business. Looked like they had gone out of business.

- A few months ago it looked like someone was putting things in order (I stopped by again and looked inside) but no way to contact, phone or otherwise as I recall.

- A couple of months ago I stopped by again when I saw an "Open" sign but the door was locked. It did look like there was a business going on inside and there was a handwritten note stating that everyone was "in the back" and to call the indicated number which I did. No answer.

- About an hour later the owner of that number (and presumably the proprietor) called back. When I explained that I had tried to reach him earlier to come in he was apologetic and described that there was a lot of noise out back and that he didn't hear the phone ring. That happens to me too. Sounded like they were opening up and he had plans to offer education and other astronomy related services. Don't ask me what all that means as it sounded good but I don't recall the details.

So I will drop by again in the next week or two and let folks know if they are open for walk in business.

Cheers,
John

John Miele
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/29/05

Loc: North Alabama
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: samovu]
      #6534989 - 05/19/14 09:21 PM

An open sign but the door was locked? Handwritten note that everyone was out "back"? Call the number and no one answers. Someone calls back and says "sorry...there was too much noise to hear the phone? I'm sorry but what a bunch of knuckle heads. Do they know ANYTHING about running a business? Just because it's astronomy gear why are we expected to put up with that type of business model...come on guys...you open a store to make money.Bottom line. If you dont know how to do that then forget it...John

B. Cook
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/18/10

Loc: No. California
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: John Miele]
      #6538792 - 05/21/14 05:54 PM

Scope city is CLOSED period. You can contact Lumicon in Simi Valley CA. They acquired some of product from the San Fran. store when it closed. The manager/owner also went to Lumicon.

samovu

Reged: 07/05/13

Loc: So CA
Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: B. Cook]
      #6571329 - 06/08/14 07:43 PM

Yup, no more Scope City. The new sign at that location reads: Parks Science and Astronomy Center. Not sure why the Scope City website is still up. This new establishment was open for business.

oldstargazer
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Scopecity - a scam? new [Re: samovu]
      #6571661 - 06/08/14 10:30 PM

I tried to buy a planetary capture device from scope city a few years ago and they were not paying their vendor bills. Therefore the vendors were not shipping them any product. I finally had to get the bbb involved to get something for the money they received up front for the device which they kept saying would be shipped any day. I finally called the vendor and they were the ones that told me that they would not send any product to scope city because they were not paying for product.
The funny thing about parks is that they have always been at the simi valley site, so were they operating scope city like a radio shack franchise or vice versa.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9172

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics