Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: decisions decisions new [Re: skybama]
      #5559983 - 12/07/12 09:20 PM

If of equal quality in mirror figure, there will not be a sharper image in an eight vs. a 10. The 8 is a nice sized Dob, but I have found that the 10 is not all that much more difficult to haul and handle than an 8. I recommend you visit a star party held by your local astronomy club to note the differences. Eight and 10 inch Dobs are very popular sizes and should be readily available.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: decisions decisions new [Re: Achernar]
      #5560145 - 12/07/12 11:20 PM

Also, an adjustable chair.

Saneless

Reged: 12/03/12

#5560253 - 12/08/12 12:45 AM

I felt like there was no rush in finding the objects in the sky. I wanted this to be a hobby that was interesting, rewarding, and actually built a skill all while making me familiar with my surroundings.

Much like I feel I have absolutely no idea what the layout of a city is like if I stick to GPS, I didn't want that to happen with the sky. Soo, I felt like it wasn't necessary. Everything that's in the sky will stay in the sky, and it's up to me to build my skill to earn the right to see it. I wanted a challenge everytime I stepped outside. What would an intelliscope do for me? So I can just buzz through all the objects in the sky. Big whoop. I really just didn't see the point.

Aside from that, I didn't feel like it was worth the $300 premium for the intelliscope version.

If in the end I regret it, I can always get another scope like a go-to. But I wanted my beginner scope something that taught me to appreciate finding things on my own. I'll never forget the first time I went through all the hard work to find andromeda. It made the fairly unimpressive image actually very satisfying.

Edited by Saneless (12/08/12 12:47 AM)

rforrester
journeyman

Reged: 12/08/12

Loc: Birmingham, al
      #5560407 - 12/08/12 04:42 AM

Hi Skybama,
I am guessing you are from Alabama. If so what part? I live in a small city north west of Birmingham.

skybama
journeyman

Reged: 12/04/12

Loc: North Alabama
Re: decisions decisions new [Re: rforrester]
      #5560468 - 12/08/12 07:30 AM

Quote:

Hi Skybama,
I am guessing you are from Alabama. If so what part? I live in a small city north west of Birmingham.

I'm just north of Huntsville.

Thanks for all the suggestions. This has been a fairly difficult decision because i tend to jump into things head first and buy the best equipment available. But, all things considered, I think I am going with the Z8. It is very afforable right now and I can always upgrade later. The Intelliscope would certainly be nice but I think the Z8 will force me to "learn" the sky.

phillip
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/26/05

Loc: Sterling, Illinois
      #5560634 - 12/08/12 10:29 AM

I have the XT8 and gives the starting aperture for decent viewing. But also enjoy using the portable goto scopes. The XT8I would make perhaps the better choice for you as all in one package, will at least put you in the area for easier locating. Abit pricy but the Celestron 8SE be a more accurate locator. As I have the XT8 went for the 6SE as near half the price.

Enjoy using the Sky Safari + absolutely a beauty at the scope, also alerts me on planets when GRS and Shadow transits on Jupiter, my favored.

Enjoy.

Edited by phillip (12/08/12 10:38 AM)

Dave74
sage

Reged: 10/23/12

Loc: Gelatinous, MA
Re: decisions decisions new [Re: phillip]
      #5560641 - 12/08/12 10:35 AM

That's a good choice. I think you'll enjoy it.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5560664 - 12/08/12 10:46 AM

I see there is a great deal on the Z8 right now with free shipping.That will certainly give you a very good start and actually many people never go beyond an 8" scope-the 8" SCT is very popular.

Enjoy your new scope!

skybama
journeyman

Re: decisions decisions new [Re: BigC]
      #5561917 - 12/09/12 06:33 AM

Will the ES 14mm eyepiece be suitable for the Z8? Is there a better one?

What kind of filters should I invest in? Should I just get a complete set? Are some better than others?

I have Google Sky and SkEye on my android phone. I also have GoSkyWatchP and Planets on my iPad. I would like to get an astronomy program to install on my main PC in the house. Which one is best?

Edited by skybama (12/09/12 06:34 AM)

TexasRed
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/11

Loc: East Texas
      #5561936 - 12/09/12 07:15 AM

If you don't have to keep your eyeglasses on when you observe, the ES 14mm is a great eyepiece!

I've bought a lot of filters, and the one that gets used the most and was actually worth what I spent on it (to me) is the Orion UltraBlock.

Download and install Stellarium. It's free.

skybama
journeyman

Re: decisions decisions new [Re: TexasRed]
      #5561952 - 12/09/12 07:50 AM

Dob dust covers?

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
      #5562086 - 12/09/12 09:49 AM

Shower caps work nice.

planet earth
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/10

Loc: Ontario Canada
      #5562512 - 12/09/12 01:58 PM

I'd get the Z10 over the 8 inch, because of the extra light grasp about half a mag.
Forget the object locater. Spend the money you save on better eyepieces for the f5 (f5 has more coma then a f6) and a OIII or UHC filter.
A 8 inch isn't any sharper then a 10" unless the 10" is of poor quality. The 10" with it's better resolution will show finer detail on planets.
Sam

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: decisions decisions new [Re: planet earth]
      #5562566 - 12/09/12 02:29 PM

All things considered, the 10" will show more. And, the object locator does seem a bit gimicky - after all, half the fun is in planning and then actually getting there. It would be nice for you to actually compare the 8" and 10" side-by-side to see how well they fit into your environment. If you have to carry it down 10 flights of stairs, or haul it in a small compact car to get to a dark observing site, these are considerations. If you can leave it setup just inside your sliding glass doors and then need to only move it a few feet to begin your observations, this is also a consideration. I would think that a small scope that gets used regularly would be better than a large scope that never makes it out under the stars.

frito
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/05/12

Loc: Fremont, CA
      #5562607 - 12/09/12 03:02 PM

Quote:

Will the ES 14mm eyepiece be suitable for the Z8? Is there a better one?

What kind of filters should I invest in? Should I just get a complete set? Are some better than others?

I have Google Sky and SkEye on my android phone. I also have GoSkyWatchP and Planets on my iPad. I would like to get an astronomy program to install on my main PC in the house. Which one is best?

I used a friends 14mm ES 82* in my XT8 last night, i was comparing it to my 16mm Nagler Type 2. performance was very similar. in a 1200mm focal length scope its a good low to medium power eyepiece as it has about a 1 degree true field but considerably more magnification than a plossl of the same true field. a good example is the 25mm plossl is about the same true field but you can see much more detail in the 14/16mm 82 AFOV eyepieces.

on the filters honestly all you really need is a variable polarizing filter for the moon that way you can adjust how bright or dim it is depending on the phase. a UHC filter for nebula viewing at dark sites. light pollution filter possibly for the same purpose but in more light polluted areas. color filters are not all that useful for visual observing in my experience.

on the astronomy program side of things buy skysafari plus for either the android phone or your ipad, what ever device you think you'll use at the telescope more. if you had both android devices you would not have to make this choice because once you buy it on the play store you can install it on as many android devices you have linked to the google account. i have it on both my phone and tablet.

for the PC stellarium is a very nice free program.

Edited by frito (12/09/12 03:04 PM)

skybama
journeyman

Re: decisions decisions new [Re: frito]
      #5564224 - 12/10/12 01:48 PM

Is the Zhumell 2" 2x ED barlow decent?

So why wouldn't I buy the ES 11mm instead of the 14mm? It's $10 cheaper and better magnification. Or the 4.7mm or 6.7mm for that matter.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5564537 - 12/10/12 05:14 PM

Keep in mind that seeing does not often support high magnifications. When you push power too high under all but really great sky conditions, the image, especially on planets, gets mushy. The 11mm ES would likely be useful many nights, but the single digit eyepieces may just be too potent for most scopes on all but a few pristine occasions. Usually the best observing range for most scopes is from 120 to maybe 160-180x, so you csn calculate what focal length eyepieces would be most useful for your scope by dividing the focal length of various eyepieces into the focal lenght of your scope, which yields magnification.

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
      #5564559 - 12/10/12 05:23 PM

Quote:

I have the same question. I found this thread on it:
http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Number/4506829

Someone in that post says "I actually never use it with 2" eyepieces...All Barlows tend to be tricky to use with long focal length eyepieces because of how much they play around with the eye relief."

Rhere is also this one for less $$: https://www.astronomics.com/astro-tech-2x-apochromatic-ed-barlow-2-inch-eyepi...

Edited by stargazer424 (12/10/12 05:28 PM)

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Lake Mary, Fl.
      #5564564 - 12/10/12 05:25 PM

Quote:

So why wouldn't I buy the ES 11mm instead of the 14mm? It's $10 cheaper and better magnification. Or the 4.7mm or 6.7mm for that matter.

Yes that barlow is good and will work well with your scope. Also the 14mm with the 2x barlow will give you a 7mm which will be a very good magnification to view planets with on most nights.

skybama
journeyman

Re: decisions decisions new [Re: Billytk]
      #5565426 - 12/11/12 05:59 AM

Ok, so it's a done deal.

Zhumell Z8 Dobsonian
Zhumell 2" 2x ED Barlow
Zhumell 1.25" See It All filter set
All that for $509

ES 14mm 82* Eyepiece (Xmas gift from wife)

Can't wait to get started.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 30 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1433

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics