Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Greyhaven
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: First post - first scope - is this a good choice? new [Re: onion]
      #5566599 - 12/11/12 09:21 PM

Onion
That shed is even cooler with the roof rolled off and a scope pointed skyward.I think you've got a great deal for your money. Now you'll have to connect the camera to the scope Here are a couple of ways: First you'll need a T ring It replaces the original lens on your camera and this is camera specific just order one for your brand camera and the next item would be the T adapter this screws into the
t ring and the other side will replace the Visual back on your SCT ,the visual back is the piece you would normally insert the eyepiece or diagonal in' it does just screw off and the T will replace it. Here's a shot of the T ring on the camera and the T adapter

or you can just purchase the T ring and one of these 1.25 adapters that will screw into the T ring and then just slide into the regular eyepiece holder there available with or without built in barlow lens.

A third option you would have to have if you wanted shots through the different eyepieces for higher magnifications using your regular camera lens is a universal afocal camera adapter they are better used with small point in shoot digital cameras as they my not allow enough room for a full sized camera and lens setup and the eyepiece side can't adjust to some larger eyepieces.
Maybe these are already in the accessories you got with your new scope. Maybe you could share a shot of your scope ,we all like to look at that kind of thing, we lead such sheltered lives. Sounds like you got a nice set up. Don't rush out and spend money on a wedge you will be hard put get the mount to work well enough for more than 30 second exposures and that is too short a time for field rotation to show up. If you are going to have a computer available at your AP site Back Yard EOS is a great program for setting up an observing session and will control your camera, check out their site they have a 30 day free trial and it cost is low if you decide to buy it. I wouldn't go with out it I have it installed in all three of my computers.
Be Well
Grey

Edited by Greyhaven (12/11/12 09:40 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
onion
journeyman

Reged: 12/07/12

Loc: N.E. Indiana
Re: First post - first scope - is this a good choice? new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5567905 - 12/12/12 04:23 PM

Grey,
I'm sure the shed does look better with the top rolled off. I have a shed on my wish list. Maybe sometime in the next few years. I'm going to take this slow. I went out last night for the first time with the new scope. Funny thing - I woke up at 1AM for some reason (pretty sure is was the new scope calling my name) and looked outside - clear skies! So.... without waking the family, I set the scope up in the driveway - not ideal I know but this was spur of the moment - Now, I've never used this scope (this is my first scope) so I'm trying to figure this out in the freezing cold I did the GPS align once - failed alignment?? Tried again...failed?? So I go inside and do a quick search in the net and find that the Nexstar GPS is off by about 20 d's on the GPS align mode. So . . .I go back out, try again. This time I slew around to the alignment stars that it thinks it's pointing to (using my nifty new star chart to help me find them ) and BOOM - well an hour later - I'm ready to go. I tell the scope to go to Jupiter - it does, but there is a problem. While Jupiter is in the finder scope it not in the 8"?? Long story short - at 4AM I put the scope away and while doing so, I noticed that the finder scope was not aligned! Doooh! Today - I aligned the scope and the finder scop so I should be all set for tonight. Clear skies are in the forcast and I think it's a new moon so maybe tonight I will have some luck. Not to mention Geminid meteor shower is in full swing tonight

This camera looks perfect! I would be interested in that for sure!

Not sure how to post a pic of my new scope on this forum - I'll figure that out and get a pic up asap!

Thanks again for all of your help.

Onion

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 28 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 971

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics