Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: Midnight Dan]
      #5616776 - 01/11/13 07:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

... also, with the 1.25" "adapter" on i can see ...

Hi Howard:

Just want to re-iterate what others have said, that the 1.25" section is NOT an adapter. It is part of the eyepiece and normally should NOT be removed, even if you use it in a 2" diagonal.

Just leave the eyepiece fully assembled and insert it into either a 1.25" or a 2" diagonal. It will work as designed in that configuration.

While you *can* remove the 1.25" barrel and lens group and use the eyepiece as a 22mm (which sounds like what you were doing), I would not recommend that. The views suffer and it is not optimized for that configuration. If you need a larger view of the sky, you're much better off buying a longer focal length eyepiece.

-Dan

Dan, good points.

I don't own any Hyperions, I was just trying to figure out why that 13mm did what it appeared to do after it was partially taken apart and used.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Heitman
sage

Reged: 01/26/07

Loc: Reeds, NC
      #5616900 - 01/11/13 09:22 AM

Hello,
I agree with Dan, use it as a 5mm ep. I've also tried this, and while it was useable without the bottom lens group, the views definitely suffered.

Tim

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: howard929]
      #5616933 - 01/11/13 09:50 AM

Quote:

Dan, good points.

I don't own any Hyperions, I was just trying to figure out why that 13mm did what it appeared to do after it was partially taken apart and used.

Oooops! Sorry, Howard! I started my post with "Hi Howard" but meant to say "Hi Matt". I wasn't responding to your post. I went back and changed it so it's correct now.

-Dan

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5616983 - 01/11/13 10:30 AM

Hi

i knew you meant hi matt.

heres an overview from baader i found,
hyperion brief description (pdf)
of whats to be used and how it can and should not be disassembled. it makes more sense to me now in regard to everything explained here. i really have not seen a degradation in quality at the 22.5 focal length, so that is a bit perplexing that everyone is saying i "shouldnt do that". and their material says its designed to do that. it is a weird product , i didnt know what i was getting into. at least now its crystal clear whats going on so thanks! it will be interesting to do some testing with this in different scopes with clearer skies as well..its been high humidity all winter it seems.. a glare to the air..anyhow, super informative thanks!

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: lamplight]
      #5617007 - 01/11/13 10:44 AM

That's a great link Matt. Made this much clearer for me now, and can follow what's being said here.

oh, my scope arrives today ...gonna be a fun weekend.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5617054 - 01/11/13 11:08 AM

its supposed to rain here all weekend which i why i forced myself out last night from about 10-1am. frustrating night, but thats another thread lol. i hope its clear for you, never know!

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
      #5617122 - 01/11/13 11:44 AM

Matt it was semi clear most of the week. Was too tired last night for the scope. Spend ten minutes with the binos and then called it a night. Same here, rain and cloudy all weekend. Must be the new scope curse kicking in already.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5617388 - 01/11/13 02:43 PM

Quote:

... is a bit perplexing that everyone is saying i "shouldnt do that". and their material says its designed to do that.

Well, there's marketing and then there's reality.

The eyepiece will work best in the 5mm mode. It is also designed to take advantage of small changes in focal length by inserting the fine tuning rings. I'm sure at some point, someone at Baader said, hey, if I leave the 1.25" part off altogether, it doesn't look too bad! We can market that as an additional "feature"!

And of course, it DOES work, as you've seen. Depending on how long you've been observing and how picky you are about the quality of the views, it may be acceptable to you or it may not. But I doubt that working at 22mm was part of the design criteria, and it is definitely a lower quality view than the 5mm mode.

In the end though, eyepiece selection and use is a very personal thing. What works for one person won't for another. So while I would not recommend using it in the 22mm mode, I would not say "Don't do it". If you're happy with the views, that's all that matters. Fact is, eyepieces are expensive and if you don't want to invest in a longer focal length unit right now, this may be an adequate solution.

-Dan

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5617435 - 01/11/13 03:08 PM

Hi

im sure it did happen that way..
Quote:

it is definitely a lower quality view than the 5mm mode.

ill look closer at the sharpness and possible distortion as on the moon pic, as i can see it there.. it was almost too wide , and i was searching stars the last few nights, so i might not have noticed that. i did not appear to have any issuies focusing though.. wonder if thats due to the scope and relatively low power.

well at least they didnt lie about the eye relief which was my big question, it is generous in 5mm "mode". so much for my first 2" eyepiece. ill have to make up for that mistake

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
      #5618307 - 01/12/13 12:40 AM

As a side note, that 1.25 baader element fits in other 2" eyepieces that are threaded for filters. I tried it in my Q70 38mm and got some interesting views. It just dawned on me to try it one day.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5618636 - 01/12/13 09:10 AM

Well now.. This ain't no one trick pony.

Greyhaven
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/11/04

Loc: Greater downtown Maine
Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: Jeff2011]
      #5619557 - 01/12/13 06:04 PM

Jeff I'm glad to see an example of that adapter in use. I got one to go with my T3 and 8mm,13mm and 17mm Hyperions. It seemed to be such a slick way for afocal shots. Alas the weather has kept any astro photography on the back burner.
At under $20. there seemed to be no reason not to give it a try.
Thanks for sharing the shot.
Be Well
Grey

Edited by Greyhaven (01/12/13 06:09 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: eye relief with 2" Hyperion eyepieces? new [Re: Greyhaven]
      #5622769 - 01/14/13 02:16 PM

Jeff, greyhaven: is this the adapter you got for use with a t adapter? i have the celestron universal t adapter (1.25") that iod like to use it with:
from some docs i was reading:

"The M43 thread serves for adaptation of T-2 accessories for classical eyepiece projection. A stepper ring from M43 onto T-2 thread (Hyperion M43/T-2 #2958080) is to be used in this case."

thanks!

Jeff2011
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/01/13

Loc: Sugar Land, TX
      #5623342 - 01/14/13 08:19 PM

Matt,

Yes. I believe the T2 can be used with a standard t ring camera adapter. Not the extra wide one though. I did get the baader T ring adapter for my T3i because at the time I was not sure.

Grayhaven, Thanks. I use it for eyepiece projection not afocal. With afocal you keep the camera lens on.

You can see my setup and more pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/jeff-guck-in-die-luft

Edited by Jeff2011 (01/14/13 08:20 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1767

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics