Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
paulr57

Reged: 01/09/13

Loc: Asheboro, NC
Overwhelmed!
      #5615186 - 01/10/13 10:23 AM

Hey Everyone!

I'm new to this forum, and while I've owned a telescope for over 10 years, I'm a newbie! I came here originally to explore the possibility of buying another Telescope and wanted to research the choices and from the moment I logged in here I am totally overwhelmed!

There are so many threads and so many articles I just don't know where to begin. For the moment I've confined myself to the newbie forums (and looking at the wondrous images members have posted)but my basic goal remains in researching for a new Telescope.

I just don't know where to go from here. I don't even know what questions to ask!

I have a 10" Dobsonian and for years have enjoyed lunar, plantetary, and brighter DSO observing. I'm blessed with some pretty dark skies right in my backyard and no major cities within 50 miles.

I need a guide to help point me in the right direction. I don't need someone to do my "research" but need more of a pointer to the areas of this forum that can best help me.

Thanks!
Paul

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: paulr57]
      #5615191 - 01/10/13 10:26 AM

Whats wrong with your 10" Dob?
Or do u want to get into AP?

paulr57

Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5615199 - 01/10/13 10:30 AM

Oh there's nothing wrong with it at all. I'm just getting older and wanted more of a goto scope to save time start hopping so I can spend more time observing and less nudging the scope.

I have some interest in AP but it's not a burning desire. I saw a post from someone who said "How many pictures can you take of the same object" and that makes sense so I'm not planning to make a huge investment in AP quality equipment.

The 10" Dob is a great telescope but it's harder to for my broken body to lug around the tube.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/13/12

Loc: Dunmore, PA
      #5615203 - 01/10/13 10:33 AM

Quote:

Whats wrong with your 10" Dob?
Or do u want to get into AP?

Agreed a 10 inch Dob is a very potent instrument. Do you want something smaller or bigger?

Give us all some more details and we will be happy to give our 2 cents.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5615205 - 01/10/13 10:33 AM

A GOTO is going to be heavier and requires a power supply.

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: kenrenard]
      #5615210 - 01/10/13 10:36 AM

Maybe a small refractor or SCT on a goto would be a good choice. My 72mm refractor is under 5 lbs. However if you are use to 10 inch views its going to be a letdown. I have a friend with a C6 and enjoys it quite a bit.

One option is a hand truck for your dob. I use one for my 8 inch and its no effort at all to take it out. This depends if you have no steps.

paulr57

#5615223 - 01/10/13 10:42 AM

Power supply is not an issue. I have no less than 6 outlets spread out across my backyard. Weight is not too much of an issue provided of course it's not obsessive. It's the length and bulk of the tube. I have to carry it down a flight of stairs to set it up outside.

I don't live anywhere near a store or outlet where I can actually look at setups. At the moment I'm hedging toward a 8" SCT and from what I can see the weight and compact tube assemblies might be a good fit but since I can't physically see one I'm not sure

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5615225 - 01/10/13 10:45 AM

Maybe look at building a observing shed so you dont have to move the scope.

dpwoos
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/18/06

Loc: United States
      #5615238 - 01/10/13 10:52 AM

I think that you would learn a lot by observing with your local astro club, where you can see how folks get setup and how the various scopes perform. Really, no one can tell you what you will enjoy - you will have to figure that out for yourself. There is no better place to do this than out observing.

paulr57

#5615240 - 01/10/13 10:53 AM

Let me describe my viewing area. I have 1.5 acres cleared and fenced which provides me with a variety of places to setup depending upon my target for the night. I have another 5 acres with low lying trees which give me access to the sky closer to the horizon. The fenced area is ringed with power outlets so I don't have to rely on batteries or battery packs.

I am lucky in that I have a pretty unobstructed view to the south and no light pollution to speak of. The nearest major city to the south is Atlanta and that's several hundred miles away. When I purchased the land and built the house I had backyard observing in mind so hence the abundant power supplies and unobstructed views.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5615245 - 01/10/13 10:57 AM

SO you have a Haven that we would all drool over

Building a small observatory might be your best bet, would be nice not have to setup each time and just slide the roof off.

mjs
sage

Reged: 02/26/04

Loc: Northern Indiana
      #5615248 - 01/10/13 10:59 AM

If portability is your primary concern then recognize that the new scope will be considerably smaller than your dob. A dob like yours is considered to be quite portable, all things considered, so something noticeably lighter and less bulky will have to be smaller. Is that acceptable to you?

Is there an astronomy club near you where you could check out alternatives yourself? Nothing like hands on experience to help settle the question!

Mike

paulr57

#5615256 - 01/10/13 11:02 AM

Yes I am fortunate! If it were up to me I'd have the hubble on a pier! Unfortunately life got in the way and my issues are mobility. I'm a retired Firefighter and my body took a serious beating. I have considered a "building" but I've always been concerned with the long hot summers of burning heat and the effects of leaving a scope setup in the warmer months.

paul hart
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/01/04

Loc: Lawn Guyland, New Yawk, Earth
      #5615265 - 01/10/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

SO you have a Haven that we would all drool over

Building a small observatory might be your best bet, would be nice not have to setup each time and just slide the roof off.

I agree, If I had a site like yours I would build a roll off roof observatory. An 8 inch SCT would be a step down from what you observe with presently. You might consider getting DSC's like a Sky Commander, an equatorial table that would let you track for around an hour.

paulr57

#5615267 - 01/10/13 11:07 AM

I've identified a couple of clubs but the closest one is about 50miles north. I guess living in rural America has it's drawbacks.

I will attempt to get to a meeting but the distance in all reality will be a deterrent. I'm willing to travel to a storefront that has display models but I'm not sure how to locate one. If anyone knows of one in North Carolina, South Carolina or Virginia I'd love to have that info!

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5615270 - 01/10/13 11:08 AM

Air vents are not hard to do (if your a handy man). If the scopes can take -30c then high heat should not be a problem, best to ask the manufacturer on the specs. The electronics would be the only thing I would worry about at 100F.

howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
      #5615281 - 01/10/13 11:13 AM

Creeping up in age myself with some pains that don't seem to want to go away, I understand your concerns. If it's between not using that 10" dob because hauling it is too much or buying a shed and storing it outside, I'd go with the shed idea and keep it covered while it's resting. Also, there's a thread in Reflectors dedicated to putting a dob on wheels that you may find helpful.

Jerry-rigged
sage

Reged: 01/30/12

Loc: Coastal Texas.
      #5615290 - 01/10/13 11:17 AM

If you like your 10" dob, but want GoTo, have you considered Orion's GoTo Dobs?
Orion XT10G

Or for less weight, $ and smaller batteries the Push to XT10i?
XT10i

Or heck, go big! build the roll-off roof shed the other guys are talking about and put a XX16g in it!

kenrenard
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: howard929]
      #5615308 - 01/10/13 11:25 AM

Another option one person does in our club was cement a pier and then only have to move out the tube to go observing. An 8 inch Celestron says 12.5 lbs on their site.

You might want to check in the Observatory forum. Those folks all have some good ideas. There is always one of the skyshedpods if you don't want to build anything.

http://www.skyshedpod.com/

There are two problems with all these things
Time and Money.

Good Luck finding what you are looking for. Hope this is of some help. There are some very helpful and experienced folks in the forums so you should get some good advice.

Ken

Seldom
professor emeritus

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: Overwhelmed! new [Re: Jerry-rigged]
      #5615316 - 01/10/13 11:26 AM

If you had on grade storage, many bigger dobs come with wheelbarrow handles. Moving a 90 pound dob with wheelbarrow handles is no big deal.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 41 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1624

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics