Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Synon

Reged: 06/02/12

Loc: Flagstaff AZ
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5630936 - 01/19/13 01:05 AM

Just got back in from in from some viewing in the low 20's for a couple hours. Scope (meade 8" CAT) was covered in frost, I put caps on both the eyepiece hole and over the corrector plate before coming inside, frost was mainly on the body. Is too much frost going to hurt anything? I don't want to hurt my baby, but this was the best seeing I've ever had of jupiter! I was making out bubbles and waves in the bands, I didn't want to come back inside... I had to hold my breath to take a look through the eyepiece to avoid fogging/frosting it up too quickly.

Edited by Synon (01/19/13 01:21 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JamesL

Reged: 10/19/12

Loc: Pacific,MO
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: nirvanix]
      #5630975 - 01/19/13 01:59 AM

I had the best views of the moon and jupiter ever.The seeing was good and got to see a black spot shadow that moved across jupiter and higher magnification 10mm could see what looked like turbulance in the bottom ring. I was so thrilled, then looked at the moon with es82 11mm and it was awesome.Then I stepped on my glasses that were laying on the ground and smashed them flat as a pancake.Oh well it was worth it!

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: JamesL]
      #5631009 - 01/19/13 03:22 AM

It's been extremely cold and cloudy here in northern Utah for most of the past two months ... we had almost two feet of snow in my area just last week and there have been a few nights with the temps down to -5 or so. One thing that's put me off taking my equipment out below 30F and then bringing it back in the house is the frost and condensation, even when sealed in the carriers and cases... and the extreme low temps makes me worry about all the cables, possibly cracking them.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: saberonyx]
      #5631090 - 01/19/13 06:23 AM

Quote:

Everyone came over for some pizza tonight.It was a good clear night ,cold but the wind died down to just a breeze.I pulled everyone out for 2 sessions.I had to hit them hard and fast with the big stuff ,Jupiter right away with the 30 mm then the delos 10mm and the wows were popping out of everyones mouth.It was really clear and the bands were very bright.Of course,men like me,Mr Acker or any one else from cold regions could stay out all night but my guests were dropping like flies.

Yikes, just looking at those clothes makes me feel cold. They're dressed about right for a crisp night in late August!

Typical for people who are never outside except to walk from the house to the car or from the car to the store.

Edited by Tony Flanders (01/19/13 06:25 AM)

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Synon]
      #5631226 - 01/19/13 09:53 AM

I don't think that frost on the body is a problem. Heck, our cars with all of their electronics stay outside in sub freezing temperatures for 3 months of the year and we have no problems. The lenses are mirrors are mostly what people are concerned about because when you bring them inside they fog up and have excess moisture on them. When they dry, the moisture can leave spots and streaks or even attract particles from the house air onto the lens. If you cap everything up before going in and then return it to the case, then you trap the cold air around the lenses and mirrors and allow everything to slowly warm up, thus not having everything fog up.

Eric

brianc99

Reged: 11/27/12

Loc: Southern NH
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: hectar]
      #5631227 - 01/19/13 09:56 AM

Quote:

So here is an idea and perhaps someone has already tried it?
i.e: If you buy a cheap tent like this (29.99$)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents/PRD~0765023P/...

cut hole(s) near the roof and stick out upper end of the scope from it. seal the hole with waterproof fabric by duck tape or something in such way that it gives some freedom to move the scope (something like a "bellows" used in the FD fans). Then just stay inside the tent, keep it warm by portable heater and do observations.

With the tent poles forming a crossbar at the peak of that tent, I suspect you'll end up with too many obstructions to use that tent as an observatory.

I've thought of looking around for one of those cheap vinyl garages that people use for snowmobiles, ATVs and the like, and cutting a hole in it for the scope. Maybe a used one from Craiglist. I'm not close to taking on that project, though.

And yes, it was cold in southern NH last night, but the clearest it's been in a while. Orion Nebula looked great through my little 80mm. It only took a couple of minutes for my eyes to water up, though, and I blobbed a big tear right onto the eyepiece. Thus ended my observing for the night.

Brian

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: brianc99]
      #5631277 - 01/19/13 10:31 AM

Some of my best viewing takes place in the wee hours of the morning in temperatures of -20 to - 30 C.

It's a very peaceful and serene for some reason....

But I don't use my go-to. I wish I could, bit it begins to really protest at about -20.

Is frost really that hard on your scopes....I don't think so, mine are all fine, even after many many sub zero sessions.

If it's clear in the winter, it's usually transparent, take advantage of it. Winter skies are incredible. Wanna see spiral structure in M51? The wee hours of a cold winter night is all you need.

jake

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: brianc99]
      #5631301 - 01/19/13 10:43 AM

It was cold here too last night....until the clouds rolled in.

beatnick

Reged: 05/11/12

Loc: California, USA
      #5631330 - 01/19/13 11:04 AM

Yo Spartans -

Spoiled California Boy here. 32F is my line.
Then only 1/2 hr. Run out take the cover off the
6se goto. Solar system align on Hupiter see
two or three highlites. Unplug put cover on
run back in and thaw out. Life is good.
even at 70.

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: hectar]
      #5631332 - 01/19/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

So here is an idea and perhaps someone has already tried it?
i.e: If you buy a cheap tent like this (29.99$)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents/PRD~0765023P/...

cut hole(s) near the roof and stick out upper end of the scope from it. seal the hole with waterproof fabric by duck tape or something in such way that it gives some freedom to move the scope (something like a "bellows" used in the FD fans). Then just stay inside the tent, keep it warm by portable heater and do observations.

That tent is only 3'-8" high, so with a refractor you'd be observing lying down and with a dob you'd only be able to keep the rocker out of the wind. Even the high end observatory tents don't provide much cover for a dob owner.

One thing I've found helpful at -5F is a pair of Mechanix gloves (Walmart 15USD). They have a thin,tight fit, and a high friction material on the gripping side. I can get keys out of my pocket while wearing them, and thumbscrew manipulation is also easy. Not as toasty as mittens, but my hands feel cool after an hour out, not cold.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5631375 - 01/19/13 11:25 AM

I am trying to do my part to help you guys with the cold weather. I drive my 4X4 that gets about 10mpg everywhere I go and I have a lead foot. If you want I can go out and leave it running in the driveway for a little bit every day if you think that'll help.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5631485 - 01/19/13 12:30 PM

What really s#*$%, is that the weather was clear, great night for viewing last night...and I didn't get out. Tonights the DAS public viewing open house at Chamberlin Observatory. Maybe I'll pack up the dob and go...maybe get someone to help me use the glatter/tublug better.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5631568 - 01/19/13 01:22 PM

Well its back to Solid clouds and -8 going to -27 tonight.
Glad I had the Hour last night and luky I went early instead waiting till 9pm

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5631578 - 01/19/13 01:27 PM

Partly cloudy and in the 40's now but VERY windy. Suppose to be only in the 30's tonight and tomorrow night....I can deal with that.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5635565 - 01/21/13 07:16 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

At least the clouds give good sunsets in winter

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5635566 - 01/21/13 07:17 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Horizon

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
      #5635629 - 01/21/13 08:03 PM

Wow, beautiful pics!!

-- Chris

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: CJK]
      #5635748 - 01/21/13 09:23 PM

wow nice pics.

Snowing here for the past few hours. At least it was a clear weekend.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5636002 - 01/21/13 11:53 PM

Thanks!
hope its not a sign for colder weather

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5636111 - 01/22/13 01:43 AM

The sky is clear,saw Moon and Jupiter close .

But it is 12 degrees F with wind making it feel colder!And it will likely get near ZERO by dawn.

Yesterday I splurged on insulated coveralls ,insulated hood ,insulate pac boots, and head/face cover.

But using the face cover over my mouth and nose results in it becoming soaked with breath moisture and fogging my glasses. In lower position,the face cover does an excellent job of keeping my neck and chim warm but the oxygen intake orifice is exposed! --I mean my NOSE gets COLD!!!

Still need those observatory walls to shelter from the wind.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 12 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3463

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics