Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 06/16/12

Loc: Ottawa, Ontario
C-c-c-c-cold!
      #5629132 - 01/17/13 11:35 PM

So tonight was the first (somewhat) clear nigh in such a long time that I decided to take my little F5 achro out to and see if my contrast booster would help with the purple halo on Jupiter. Not a good idea! It was -10 Fahrenheit! I allowed the scope to cool for 30 minutes but I guess the cold made the filter fall off the EP and onto my 2 inch diagonal. I fished it out and put it on another EP (It did not help by the way, but cutting the aperture down did). Anyway, after a while the cheap grease on my focuser froze and I could barely move it! My red dot finder also froze over as I looked for other targets. I could not take the cold fingers anymore and decided to take everything inside. Bad move, I should have brought the cases outside, pack everything and the store it all in the garage. My scope and accessories were frozen and once inside everything was dripping wet as it thawed. I had to take a hair dryer to it all because there was way too much water and it was dripping down the Achro lens! After drying everything I checked the diagonal and noticed a few minor scratches on the miror from the filter.Argh. When I observed at 30 or so degrees I have no issues, but no more at -10!

Eric

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Reged: 02/17/10

Loc: Southeast Idaho, USA
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Eric63]
      #5629236 - 01/18/13 01:16 AM

Tough news about your diagonal. It's cold here too (-7F right now). I typically draw the line at 15 F as my 'lower limit'.

I wouldn't worry too much about some small scratches. If they are going to be a problem you would have noticed it right away (although you might start noticing them eventually).

Edited by WaterMaster (01/18/13 01:17 AM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5629361 - 01/18/13 05:14 AM

It's perfectly possible to observe at -10F, but it does require extra work.

Crayford focusers are unaffected by cold, but rack-and-pinions do have a tendency to set up. If you plan to use your refractors in cold weather, disassemble the rack and pinion, clean out the nasty Chinese goop, and repack with lithium grease.

I can't imagine that the filter literally fell off from cold. I bet it wasn't screwed in properly in the first place -- probably because your fingers were numb.

Yes, of course you shouldn't bring cold stuff indoors unsealed. Not at 30F, either. But I doubt that any real harm was done.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5629438 - 01/18/13 07:43 AM

Ouch to hear,and buuuurrrrrr that's cold.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5629495 - 01/18/13 08:53 AM

Thank you Gentlemen. I think I too will draw the line at about -5C (23F). Its just not comfortable for visual observing when its too cold. Im just glad I did not take my new Mak outside. Last time, I went out for an extended session at -5C and I packed everything outside at the end of the evening, and then brought it in all inside. The outside of the scope and eyepieces were a bit damp, but the lenses were all perfect when I took a quick look after an hour.

Tony, I was thinking of re-greasing the focuser but I was afraid to screwing up the collimation. I re-greased my AZ3 and AZ4 with Lithium last fall and it made a huge difference. Anyway I am thinking of selling the achro anyway since the 150Newt has now become my wide field scope. I just wanted a quick look last night and not worry too much about cool down. Next time I will stick to Binoculars when its that cold.

As for the diagonal, they are not deep scratches and I dont think that I will really notice anything. They almost look like 3 small scuffs, but I could not remove them with Alcohol. Now I know why they say to buy an expensive dielectric; the cheaper ones can scratch easily. As a Newbie I expect a bit of damage and know that I will need to replace some stuff down the road. I guess this is another reason beginners should not buy expensive accessories right away! I already damaged a cheap EP by over cleaning it. I know better now.

Eric

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5629512 - 01/18/13 09:05 AM

The learning curve of all hobbies. We learn from mistakes...we hope..lol
I might brave the cold late tonight/am if it's clear. Had planned a first light with the new XLT102 but it might be just a short session with only one ep.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5629533 - 01/18/13 09:18 AM

In the military, I was stationed at Thule, Greenland (think spit and hit the North Pole). When the Temps hit above 0*F, we'd be running around in short sleeved shirts. Our SUMMER high was 40*. In the year I was up there, I saw one (1) fly--and it was probably imported. But I did learn one thing: The cold is a harsh mistress; she does not suffer fools gracefully. -15, that was morning frost...-40, more the average in winter. But in winter, when it stayed dark, with NO light pollution, the sky was just indescribeable. During our daylight season (yes, Virginia, way up North we have TWO seasons, Light and Dark!) Seeing the glacers and climbing on the iceburgs when the ocean is frozen over is what we did when the seasons changed(Y'all ain't had NO drink till you've had one chilled with a chunk of multimillion year old ice from an iceburg to chill it, one chunk lasts all night). It really was out of National Geographic. Yes, I've seen a part of the real natural world that many will never see for themselves, but I was really glad to get back home.......

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5629534 - 01/18/13 09:19 AM

Quote:

Thank you Gentlemen. I think I too will draw the line at about -5C (23F). Its just not comfortable for visual observing when its too cold.

Yikes! In your part of the world, that's going to rule out a big chunk of the year -- and the time of the year with the best small-scope targets, too. It's true that -10F causes real problems for hands. But properly dressed you should have no trouble at +10F unless it's windy.

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
      #5629636 - 01/18/13 10:30 AM

Last night I decided not to take advantage of a clear night because of the cold. Well, it was windy and cold and the wind was the deciding factor. Also, I got in two really good observing sessions in the last 10 days, so I was feeling a little bit less in need of being out under the stars.

stargazer424
sage

Reged: 10/03/05

Loc: Central NJ
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: uniondrone]
      #5629652 - 01/18/13 10:39 AM

-10F ??? This weekend is going to be the first clear nights in a while, and I'm debating NOT going out b/c its going to be below 30F! I don't have much of tolerance for cold...

I can't wait for SPRING!!!! Fishing, stargazing, camping...bring on the warm weather!!!

EDIT: Also bringing my dog to the dog park

Edited by stargazer424 (01/18/13 10:40 AM)

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/25/10

Loc: MedHat, AB, Canada
      #5629654 - 01/18/13 10:40 AM

Wind definitely is worse then the cold. last night the trees were bending and just ruining the rare clear skies experience. Back to clouds this morning

"Not a good idea! It was -10 Fahrenheit!" Realy ? you def no Canadian LOL

uniondrone
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/05/09

Loc: Streetlight Archipelago
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: NeilMac]
      #5629678 - 01/18/13 10:53 AM

Quote:

"Not a good idea! It was -10 Fahrenheit!" Realy ? you def no Canadian LOL

Well, -10F is -23C. That is pretty cold for standing in one spot looking through an eyepiece for hours on end. I've gone ice fishing at that temperature, but not stargazing... at least not yet.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5629726 - 01/18/13 11:14 AM

Hours on end yes, 30-60 min when dresses well should be ok lol.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
      #5629777 - 01/18/13 11:40 AM

holy *BLEEP* thats cold. the woirst ive done this year so far i think was lower 20's (F). maybe teens cant remember i have taken to coming in and warming up a bunch. last night i went jogging in the 20s (what else was there to do?) and what a difference between standing still getting cold. if the scope freezes up its too cold for me!! course.. if i HAD to deal with that over not observing for months at a time, id be searching out that lithium grease like yesterday. and some electric body gear or handwarmers or all of the above.

Dan! i took mine for a wlak in the woods yesterday it was great! not anything like these temps being discussed here in ma.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5629817 - 01/18/13 11:58 AM

Quote:

The learning curve of all hobbies. We learn from mistakes...we hope..lol
I might brave the cold late tonight/am if it's clear. Had planned a first light with the new XLT102 but it might be just a short session with only one ep.

Depends on the EP....the first light on my 13T1 Nagler--that was the only eyepiece I used that night...and there have been nights the ES82 24mm hasn't left the focuser. But there have been too many nights this year where NO eyepiece was in the focuser............

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

#5629853 - 01/18/13 12:16 PM

You may be right Tony, perhaps I could try a little colder. I have skied in -40 (where C and F meet!) and with proper clothing I have stayed warm. But I now find -10F to be my comfort limit for skiing (getting too old to freeze ). But even -10F allows for many nights outside. Anyway, January and February are really the only trouble months. The truth is that its the clouds that are keeping me in these days, not the cold. Yesterday I was more worried about my equipment than myself; but with proper planning I am sure that this will no longer be an issue. Like I said earlier, I will make sure that everything is packed away outside first. I thought I could have a grab and go setup that I would take outside fully assembled, and back in when finished. This is probably OK for the summer, but not for winter

Eric

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

#5629873 - 01/18/13 12:24 PM

Oh I'm a good ol' Canadian EH (and from cold Quebec stock too! ). It's not me I was worried about, it was the equipment!!!

But you guys in Alberta...now that's up North!. But I forgot, we don't get Chinook's like you out here

Eric

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5629880 - 01/18/13 12:30 PM

It wasn't cold last night, and starting at 7pm I had family commitments......but that didn't stop me from setting it up at 4:30 and viewing the moon and Jupiter for a few quick looks. I was tearing it down around 6:15; so it barely had time to get dark. BUT, at least I had a few moments. Wonder what my wife is gonna say when I tell her I want to go to the dark site tonight.........probably, have fun....

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5629901 - 01/18/13 12:51 PM

Quote:

Oh I'm a good ol' Canadian EH (and from cold Quebec stock too! ). It's not me I was worried about, it was the equipment!!!

But you guys in Alberta...now that's up North!. But I forgot, we don't get Chinook's like you out here

Eric

LOL, yup its +5 right now but going to -24c tomorrow, and that Frilling wind that pops up now and then ruined last nights clear skies, couldn't keep the scope or myself steady at times.

nirvanix
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/07/07

Loc: Saskatoon, SK
      #5630115 - 01/18/13 03:26 PM

Not to boast or anything (but I am ), I did observe for a couple of hours at -40F. It was the best view of the double cluster I've ever had. The sky was extremely transparent and allowed me to see the red stars in the double cluster. Of course I wear the proper gear and plenty of it. That view cost me though - the epoxy holding my secondary to the stock failed and the secondary fell off and got chipped!

I've often had to observe in -20C to -30C here in winter if I want to get out on clear nights, but if you're dressed for it you won't be bothered by it.

Atl
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/13/12

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: nirvanix]
      #5630123 - 01/18/13 03:35 PM

I am glad I live in the desert...

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5630145 - 01/18/13 03:50 PM

Well it's about 20f here right now and not a cloud in the sky.....but I will be going out this evening so most likely no scope time. BUT that could change and I am getting my gear together just in case.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5630189 - 01/18/13 04:12 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

It is nice out in the cold when its not windy, skies are normally so crisp.

Right now +7c +1c with the windchill and cloudy. Tonight -15c without windchill.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

#5630237 - 01/18/13 04:39 PM

wonder what Red Green would use if his scope froze?

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #5630411 - 01/18/13 07:03 PM

I'm going out tonight. At 6:02 p.m., it is 60.3 degrees F here in San Antonio.

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: GeneT]
      #5630431 - 01/18/13 07:14 PM

Quote:

wonder what Red Green would use if his scope froze?

Warm WD40

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: GeneT]
      #5630515 - 01/18/13 08:04 PM

Oh, rub it in why don't you

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5630575 - 01/18/13 08:59 PM

Hey, WD40 has a thousand and one, maybe a thousand and two now ways of being used!!!!!

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5630657 - 01/18/13 10:06 PM

I often observe at or below zero. If I didn't I would lose four months of observing under some of the year's best skies.

I approach it as a mountaineering or military problem requiring careful planning, simplicity, precision, attention, and good gear. Ten below begins to be tough, however, and I won't do it unless the skies are good and, perhaps most important, I feel good. It's very hard to force it, especially for several days in a row. At that point it is more mental discipline than physical comfort/discomfort. It is much, much easier at home than at a distant site, though the latter is bearable with a propane heater or a warm car. I only observe at home now, and I come in to warm my hands by the stove and drink hot chocolate. I have no intention of giving it up--too much great stuff to see.

Dark skies.

Jack

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5630705 - 01/18/13 10:24 PM

The biggest problem I have below 10 to 15 F is watery eyes - it's even worse when the wind blows. I still go out when it's colder, some of my clearest skies happen in mid-winter. I even went out for the Quadrantids at 2 AM and 0F.

Because I spend a lot of time out of doors with my job, I'm well versed in coping with standing around in the cold (I'm the boss so I spend most of my time watching other people work ).

But it's a hobby. I like it to be fun. And the older I get, the less fun extreme astronomy gets (and I gave up mountaineering 11 years ago ). It's got to be pretty spectacular to overcome the warmth and comfort of the man cave.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: WaterMaster]
      #5630739 - 01/18/13 10:42 PM

Yeah, I used to be a boss--so I know about that standing around. I guess I'm like the old mill horse--I just keep doing what I've done all my life, most of which has been spent in the cold--cold mountains, cold water. I will not deny that it's getting harder--I'm 71. Yep, dumb old mill horse that will die with his traces!

My eyes don't seem to water. Luck.

Dark skies..

Jack

saberonyx

Reged: 02/02/12

Loc: levittown, new york
      #5630755 - 01/18/13 10:52 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

Everyone came over for some pizza tonight.It was a good clear night ,cold but the wind died down to just a breeze.I pulled everyone out for 2 sessions.I had to hit them hard and fast with the big stuff ,Jupiter right away with the 30 mm then the delos 10mm and the wows were popping out of everyones mouth.It was really clear and the bands were very bright.Of course,men like me,Mr Acker or any one else from cold regions could stay out all night but my guests were dropping like flies.Everytime I turned around ,someone else ran inside to the comfort of the warm house.After some pop corn and cake they braved the cold again to see the sights of Orion.It was a real fun night and we can"t wait for the warm weather.YES ITS ALL ABOUT THE COLD IN WINTERTIME.

Edited by saberonyx (01/18/13 10:54 PM)

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: saberonyx]
      #5630772 - 01/18/13 11:01 PM

I just had the same weather here in NA.. Braved it till about 10:30, went out around 6 I guess, it's about 20F. It stopped being fun as I got uncomfortable so glad to get some clear sky.. 3 dark bands easy in my refractor.. Then the 10" reflector for a bit. Nice sky but still having a heck of a time seeing M106 and neighboring m's.. Need to get it higher in the sky I guess.

hectar

Reged: 12/24/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: lamplight]
      #5630785 - 01/18/13 11:13 PM

Since we are talking about cold, I am just jumping in here
We did had clear skies last night but cold kept me out. I was thinking there must be a way to fight back my fellow comrades.

So here is an idea and perhaps someone has already tried it?
i.e: If you buy a cheap tent like this (29.99$)

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents/PRD~0765023P/...

cut hole(s) near the roof and stick out upper end of the scope from it. seal the hole with waterproof fabric by duck tape or something in such way that it gives some freedom to move the scope (something like a "bellows" used in the FD fans). Then just stay inside the tent, keep it warm by portable heater and do observations.

My question is would that arrangement affect performance of the scope as its upper end (say a refractor lens) is in sub zero temp range and lower end where eyepiece/mount etc are @ 10-15C range

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: hectar]
      #5630806 - 01/18/13 11:28 PM

Getting out of the wind makes a lot of difference. Kendrick makes and observatory tent.

In my backyard, I surround myself with light shields, which also keep light wind at bay (although I don't use them if winds are more than 5-10 mph).

hectar

Reged: 12/24/12

Loc: Ontario, Canada
      #5630828 - 01/18/13 11:44 PM

Those tents look good but are expensive. Let's just say that this solution is for the backyard and during the minimum wind conditions.

Would the temperature extremes at the scope will affect its performance/views?? I believe air column temperature inside the refractor(if used) would be @ in the mid range but the exposed side of the lens is in sub zero: what could happen to lens? it would crack?

WaterMasterAdministrator
Moat Keeper

#5630840 - 01/18/13 11:53 PM

Yeah, that's why I don't have one

In answer to your other question, I don't think you'd have too much trouble with thermal currents using a refractor, but a reflector, open at both ends, is essentially a chimney. The air temp in the tube itself, without infiltration, is going to equilibrate. Consequently the objective is in little danger of cracking.

Dennis_S253
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/22/11

Loc: West Central Florida
      #5630847 - 01/18/13 11:59 PM

Any body heard of these? What is 200 gram thermo...
boots

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Dennis_S253]
      #5630852 - 01/19/13 12:04 AM

-4c and I got an hour in before the haze moved in. Got some nice pics and will work on them tomorrow.
Got the moon posted and happy I got the culmination right.

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Dennis_S253]
      #5630856 - 01/19/13 12:07 AM

200 ram thermo is just insulation--and not much. If you want a pair of warm boots, get some Sorel pacs--Caribou, Bear, Glacier models are all very warm.

Dark skies.

Jack

Synon

Reged: 06/02/12

Loc: Flagstaff AZ
      #5630936 - 01/19/13 01:05 AM

Just got back in from in from some viewing in the low 20's for a couple hours. Scope (meade 8" CAT) was covered in frost, I put caps on both the eyepiece hole and over the corrector plate before coming inside, frost was mainly on the body. Is too much frost going to hurt anything? I don't want to hurt my baby, but this was the best seeing I've ever had of jupiter! I was making out bubbles and waves in the bands, I didn't want to come back inside... I had to hold my breath to take a look through the eyepiece to avoid fogging/frosting it up too quickly.

Edited by Synon (01/19/13 01:21 AM)

JamesL

Reged: 10/19/12

Loc: Pacific,MO
      #5630975 - 01/19/13 01:59 AM

I had the best views of the moon and jupiter ever.The seeing was good and got to see a black spot shadow that moved across jupiter and higher magnification 10mm could see what looked like turbulance in the bottom ring. I was so thrilled, then looked at the moon with es82 11mm and it was awesome.Then I stepped on my glasses that were laying on the ground and smashed them flat as a pancake.Oh well it was worth it!

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: JamesL]
      #5631009 - 01/19/13 03:22 AM

It's been extremely cold and cloudy here in northern Utah for most of the past two months ... we had almost two feet of snow in my area just last week and there have been a few nights with the temps down to -5 or so. One thing that's put me off taking my equipment out below 30F and then bringing it back in the house is the frost and condensation, even when sealed in the carriers and cases... and the extreme low temps makes me worry about all the cables, possibly cracking them.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: saberonyx]
      #5631090 - 01/19/13 06:23 AM

Quote:

Everyone came over for some pizza tonight.It was a good clear night ,cold but the wind died down to just a breeze.I pulled everyone out for 2 sessions.I had to hit them hard and fast with the big stuff ,Jupiter right away with the 30 mm then the delos 10mm and the wows were popping out of everyones mouth.It was really clear and the bands were very bright.Of course,men like me,Mr Acker or any one else from cold regions could stay out all night but my guests were dropping like flies.

Yikes, just looking at those clothes makes me feel cold. They're dressed about right for a crisp night in late August!

Typical for people who are never outside except to walk from the house to the car or from the car to the store.

Edited by Tony Flanders (01/19/13 06:25 AM)

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Synon]
      #5631226 - 01/19/13 09:53 AM

I don't think that frost on the body is a problem. Heck, our cars with all of their electronics stay outside in sub freezing temperatures for 3 months of the year and we have no problems. The lenses are mirrors are mostly what people are concerned about because when you bring them inside they fog up and have excess moisture on them. When they dry, the moisture can leave spots and streaks or even attract particles from the house air onto the lens. If you cap everything up before going in and then return it to the case, then you trap the cold air around the lenses and mirrors and allow everything to slowly warm up, thus not having everything fog up.

Eric

brianc99

Reged: 11/27/12

Loc: Southern NH
      #5631227 - 01/19/13 09:56 AM

Quote:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents/PRD~0765023P/...

cut hole(s) near the roof and stick out upper end of the scope from it. seal the hole with waterproof fabric by duck tape or something in such way that it gives some freedom to move the scope (something like a "bellows" used in the FD fans). Then just stay inside the tent, keep it warm by portable heater and do observations.

With the tent poles forming a crossbar at the peak of that tent, I suspect you'll end up with too many obstructions to use that tent as an observatory.

I've thought of looking around for one of those cheap vinyl garages that people use for snowmobiles, ATVs and the like, and cutting a hole in it for the scope. Maybe a used one from Craiglist. I'm not close to taking on that project, though.

And yes, it was cold in southern NH last night, but the clearest it's been in a while. Orion Nebula looked great through my little 80mm. It only took a couple of minutes for my eyes to water up, though, and I blobbed a big tear right onto the eyepiece. Thus ended my observing for the night.

Brian

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: brianc99]
      #5631277 - 01/19/13 10:31 AM

Some of my best viewing takes place in the wee hours of the morning in temperatures of -20 to - 30 C.

It's a very peaceful and serene for some reason....

But I don't use my go-to. I wish I could, bit it begins to really protest at about -20.

Is frost really that hard on your scopes....I don't think so, mine are all fine, even after many many sub zero sessions.

If it's clear in the winter, it's usually transparent, take advantage of it. Winter skies are incredible. Wanna see spiral structure in M51? The wee hours of a cold winter night is all you need.

jake

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: brianc99]
      #5631301 - 01/19/13 10:43 AM

It was cold here too last night....until the clouds rolled in.

beatnick

Reged: 05/11/12

Loc: California, USA
      #5631330 - 01/19/13 11:04 AM

Yo Spartans -

Spoiled California Boy here. 32F is my line.
Then only 1/2 hr. Run out take the cover off the
6se goto. Solar system align on Hupiter see
two or three highlites. Unplug put cover on
run back in and thaw out. Life is good.
even at 70.

Seldom
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/05/12

Loc: N of Cedar City Light Dome
      #5631332 - 01/19/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

That tent is only 3'-8" high, so with a refractor you'd be observing lying down and with a dob you'd only be able to keep the rocker out of the wind. Even the high end observatory tents don't provide much cover for a dob owner.

One thing I've found helpful at -5F is a pair of Mechanix gloves (Walmart 15USD). They have a thin,tight fit, and a high friction material on the gripping side. I can get keys out of my pocket while wearing them, and thumbscrew manipulation is also easy. Not as toasty as mittens, but my hands feel cool after an hour out, not cold.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
      #5631375 - 01/19/13 11:25 AM

I am trying to do my part to help you guys with the cold weather. I drive my 4X4 that gets about 10mpg everywhere I go and I have a lead foot. If you want I can go out and leave it running in the driveway for a little bit every day if you think that'll help.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5631485 - 01/19/13 12:30 PM

What really s#*$%, is that the weather was clear, great night for viewing last night...and I didn't get out. Tonights the DAS public viewing open house at Chamberlin Observatory. Maybe I'll pack up the dob and go...maybe get someone to help me use the glatter/tublug better.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5631568 - 01/19/13 01:22 PM

Well its back to Solid clouds and -8 going to -27 tonight.
Glad I had the Hour last night and luky I went early instead waiting till 9pm

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5631578 - 01/19/13 01:27 PM

Partly cloudy and in the 40's now but VERY windy. Suppose to be only in the 30's tonight and tomorrow night....I can deal with that.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5635565 - 01/21/13 07:16 PM Attachment (2 downloads)

At least the clouds give good sunsets in winter

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5635566 - 01/21/13 07:17 PM Attachment (3 downloads)

Horizon

CJK
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/05/12

Loc: Northeast TN
      #5635629 - 01/21/13 08:03 PM

Wow, beautiful pics!!

-- Chris

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: CJK]
      #5635748 - 01/21/13 09:23 PM

wow nice pics.

Snowing here for the past few hours. At least it was a clear weekend.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5636002 - 01/21/13 11:53 PM

Thanks!
hope its not a sign for colder weather

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5636111 - 01/22/13 01:43 AM

The sky is clear,saw Moon and Jupiter close .

But it is 12 degrees F with wind making it feel colder!And it will likely get near ZERO by dawn.

Yesterday I splurged on insulated coveralls ,insulated hood ,insulate pac boots, and head/face cover.

But using the face cover over my mouth and nose results in it becoming soaked with breath moisture and fogging my glasses. In lower position,the face cover does an excellent job of keeping my neck and chim warm but the oxygen intake orifice is exposed! --I mean my NOSE gets COLD!!!

Still need those observatory walls to shelter from the wind.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: BigC]
      #5637937 - 01/22/13 10:50 PM

-24F right now! The skies are clear but i'm staying inside.

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
      #5637941 - 01/22/13 10:54 PM

Wow! I believe we'll forgive you for staying in....I guess. I'll get back with you on that

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: BigC]
      #5638017 - 01/22/13 11:32 PM

Man that is cold. Cold here too but only 17f and colder with wind chill.

CJK
professor emeritus

#5638036 - 01/22/13 11:42 PM

Yikes. I've got to remember not to complain about the nights in the 20's F we're having down here.

-- Chris

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

#5638041 - 01/22/13 11:45 PM

With wind chill, it's -40f. Sometimes the warm fireplace cannot be beat.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5638054 - 01/22/13 11:53 PM

Stay warm Eric.

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

#5638064 - 01/22/13 11:59 PM

Rest assured that I am. Nice warm brandy by the fireplace! And reading Sue French's book of course.

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5638112 - 01/23/13 12:36 AM

-16c and cloudy

snowcrow
sage

Reged: 10/21/12

Loc: Vermont
      #5638267 - 01/23/13 05:37 AM

I went to let Pooh-zee (my cat) out this morning, and she gave me this look like, "What the hell is wrong with you!", growled at me, and ran under the couch! I know it's cold went she won't go out! -15F w/windchill!!

northernontario
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/01/09

Loc: Porcupine, Ontario Canada
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: snowcrow]
      #5638293 - 01/23/13 06:24 AM

Even myself...man of the north....observe till two inches of ice is on the secondary...has surrendered this week..-38 this morning.....with -40 to minus 50 wind chills...

bbbrrr....

jake

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5638378 - 01/23/13 08:10 AM

Quote:

-16c and cloudy

See, sometimes you do get lucky...........

csrlice12
Postmaster

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: northernontario]
      #5638380 - 01/23/13 08:13 AM

Quote:

Even myself...man of the north....observe till two inches of ice is on the secondary...has surrendered this week..-38 this morning.....with -40 to minus 50 wind chills...

bbbrrr....

jake

I remember those arctic blasts. In Greenland, we called them "Phases". Phase III was like hurricane force winds with snow (and the ever popular -40 or so). These would sometimes last for days as the winds blew off the icecap. Wasn't fun....that kind of weather is truely unforgiving....

JIMZ7
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/22/05

Loc: S.E.Michigan near DTW
      #5638402 - 01/23/13 08:32 AM

It was the coldest here -2 degrees F. I have seen in a few years. Some parts of the Great Lakes got down to -40 degrees F. while the North Pole was only -6 degrees F. I hate to research on Mt. Washington in New Hampshire where the winds are blowing at 78 MPH with 100 MPH gusts. The wind chill at -90 & the actual temp at -40 degrees F.

Jim

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5638405 - 01/23/13 08:34 AM

Well I guess I can't complain then eh.
I thought about viewing with the dob tonight but it's suppose to be down to 5f and with wind chill -10. So I am staying in tonight and will just get 5 min with the binos now and then.

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: beatnick]
      #5638654 - 01/23/13 10:55 AM

Quote:

Yo Spartans -

Spoiled California Boy here. 32F is my line.
Then only 1/2 hr. Run out take the cover off the
6se goto. Solar system align on Hupiter see
two or three highlites. Unplug put cover on
run back in and thaw out. Life is good.
even at 70.

As a spoiled California boy turned even more spoiled Phoenix, Arizona boy (with a stint living in Hawaii many years ago), even with a jacket on, once the temperature drops below about 55 to 60 degrees, forget it! I'm putting away the binoculars and seeking my nice warm apartment!

One hundred degrees? Bring it on!

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5638676 - 01/23/13 11:04 AM

lol
The only thing to say about the weather is *BLEEP*.
It used to be predictable, AKA seasons. We got about 10 uniform days in the -40c's . When I lived in Edmonton we would have about a month in that range. Now its all over the place, +5 one day -30 the next. Forecasts are useless so I Bought a thermometer for outside, have to look outside to see if its cloudy or not, have been thinking putting a webcam out the window to keep watch LOL.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5638747 - 01/23/13 11:38 AM

In Colorado, it's been known to be 70* that day with snow that night and near 0* in the morning.....

Eric63
scholastic sledgehammer

#5638807 - 01/23/13 12:11 PM

I wonder how you survived in Edmonton. Cold in the Winter and the sun setting at 11:00 PM in the summer!!!

Meadeball
sage

Reged: 10/22/12

Loc: Midlothian, Virginia
      #5638824 - 01/23/13 12:23 PM

Man, I suppose here in Virginia, 12 above last night should be considered downright summertime! I don't see how you guys (or your pipes) hold up up there. Geesh, you're taking your life in your hands just to go get groceries!

Anthony236J

Reged: 12/13/12

#5638866 - 01/23/13 12:47 PM

So frustrating to see clear nights most of the week, then high minus 20s most of the week...

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Anthony236J]
      #5638906 - 01/23/13 01:07 PM

yep similar here.. cl;ear skies but zero with wind chills well below.. i suppose ill try it a bit tonight but im sure it wont last long as i cant even block the wind with my current setup (which is no setup)

CJK
professor emeritus

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: lamplight]
      #5638913 - 01/23/13 01:10 PM

WHAT ARE ALL YOU PEOPLE DOING UP THERE?!?

Come down here where it's warmer!

-- Chris

NeilMac
Carpal Tunnel

#5638943 - 01/23/13 01:28 PM

LOL
Better then living in Grand Prairie or NWT
Some of us can take the cold others cant, no shame in that. I go for walks every day no matter what the temps. As long as Im warmly dressed i dont mind -45c walks, my camera does though, I have to keep it to my chest and unzip quick to take a pic or the rubber freezes in 10secs LOL.
Its been a couple years since its realy been cold, looking at the cracked window in my living room that sounded like a firecracker when it cracked during a week of -40's. Kind of like in the 80's (living in Edmonton) when the tar in the roof of the house would go off like a bang when it went into the -40's LOL.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5638973 - 01/23/13 01:49 PM

Ok, nobody else has said it; so here goes:

How Cold Is It?

It's so cold that..........

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5639598 - 01/23/13 09:38 PM

Kildar13x

Reged: 07/06/11

Loc: Maine
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Anthony236J]
      #5641007 - 01/24/13 04:31 PM

-35f here in Maine the other night. It's warmed back up to 5f though today should I be so lucky! Ha!!

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Kildar13x]
      #5641442 - 01/24/13 08:44 PM

Dang!! I went out a bit ago hoping to catch M79 in Lepus. I'd seen it before once but was curious to grab another view as I only have a very brief glimps of that: its behind the trees right around at its highest point in the sky,. Couldn't find it.. Or rather... I found it but couldn't see it.. Too much turbulance.. the trapezium was visible but dancing in my 4". So gosh darnitalli had to come backin and sit by the fire some more. It's going to be about 2F but its the wind.. I've found my limit. But who knows may pop out briefly again.. So easy with the refractor

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: snowcrow]
      #5641653 - 01/24/13 10:25 PM

When the cat refuses to go outside, neither should you.....smart kitty. I bet she wanted to burrow under the blankets with you to warm her paws.

Taras

Jammer53

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: Central NY
Re: C-c-c-c-cold! new [Re: Achernar]
      #5641702 - 01/24/13 11:03 PM

Yeah -22 in Old Forge. Don't care what's going on in the firmament when it's that cold.

"Only" -12 here in Utica.

Jammer53

Reged: 12/18/12

Loc: Central NY
      #5641705 - 01/24/13 11:05 PM

Quote:

Ok, nobody else has said it; so here goes:

How Cold Is It?

It's so cold that..........

Our old standard is "It's colder than a mother-in-law's kiss". LOL.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
15 registered and 36 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3473

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics