Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
howard929

Reged: 01/02/11

Loc: Low End of High Ground
Re: Celestron X-Cel LX 2x Barlow Lens 1.25"... ?? new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5631595 - 01/19/13 01:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:

If you are using a Barlow with shorter focal length eyepieces, these are non-issues. Myself, I use Barlows only with shorter focal length eyepiece when I need magnifications that are higher my shortest focal length eyepieces can provide. For this, a simple 2 element Barlow is just fine.

Jon, this is basically what I would need one for as well. So then a 2 element barlow will work just fine for me. The one I have does work great, especially in my dob, but I don't want to take changes and damage my Refractors diagonal.

Does that Barlow have set screws that have you concerned? The diagonal you have won't notice them if it is. Just the eyepieces that your already have been using them with. Still. Your call.

Edited by howard929 (01/19/13 01:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Celestron X-Cel LX 2x Barlow Lens 1.25"... ?? new [Re: howard929]
      #5631647 - 01/19/13 02:10 PM

Quote:

Does that Barlow have set screws that have you concerned

Not quite sure what you mean, but no I didn't see any other screw on the barlow except the one that secures the ep. I will try to get a pic up of the barlow. BTW., there is no name brand on this one, it just says 2x Barlow lens.

howard929

#5631666 - 01/19/13 02:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Does that Barlow have set screws that have you concerned

Not quite sure what you mean, but no I didn't see any other screw on the barlow except the one that secures the ep. I will try to get a pic up of the barlow. BTW., there is no name brand on this one, it just says 2x Barlow lens.

How is it going to damage your diagonal?

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron X-Cel LX 2x Barlow Lens 1.25"... ?? new [Re: howard929]
      #5631687 - 01/19/13 02:45 PM

It goes too far into the diagonal and hits the mirror....bottoms out in other words. I have to head out for a couple of hours but will get a pic of the barlow up later. It could also be that I am very new to refractors and diagonals and don't know what the heck I'm doing..lol

howard929

#5631697 - 01/19/13 02:53 PM

But hey. Here's what happened to me.

Just starting out I bought a used 2x 1.25" Barlow off a nice gent around here for $11. At the time I thought it was really great.

Jumping forward to better times I bought the GSO Barlow in my sig line and between them there's no comparison. The older one I use just for barlowing my laser.

cliffy54
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/14/10

Loc: ma
      #5631878 - 01/19/13 05:06 PM

The Celestron X-cell barlow is for sale on astromart. $45.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron X-Cel LX 2x Barlow Lens 1.25"... ?? new [Re: cliffy54]
      #5631920 - 01/19/13 05:32 PM

Quote:

Just got home, will check it out later, thank for the heads up.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5632146 - 01/19/13 08:01 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Just got home, will check it out later, thank for the heads up.

Agena Astro has the GSO Barlows for $33 shipped.

If you have a long Barlow that can be inserted far enough to contact the diagonal mirror of your refractor, that is not a good thing...

Jon

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron X-Cel LX 2x Barlow Lens 1.25"... ?? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5633311 - 01/20/13 02:14 PM

Thanks Jon, I've checked the GSO's, not bad.

So question....To barlow, or not to Barlow ?? I mean does one really need a barlow ! Wouldn't it be quicker ans easier to just change ep's, providing one has a good assortment ? I noticed, and remember, it did take more time to remove an ep, add the barlow and then insert the ep again. By this time the object has gone out of the fov.
I was thinking of maybe getting some planetaries to add to the 9mm I have now...say a 5 or 6mm. This would then give me the following range. 9, 10,12,18,25 and 32mm. Maybe later get 40mm.
How often do you all use a barlow ??

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
      #5633707 - 01/20/13 06:13 PM

Hi Rob
I use it to retain eyerelief.. a medium power eyepiece and a barlow gives high power + good eyerelief

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5634422 - 01/21/13 07:13 AM

Quote:

I was thinking of maybe getting some planetaries to add to the 9mm I have now...say a 5 or 6mm. This would then give me the following range. 9, 10,12,18,25 and 32mm. Maybe later get 40mm.
How often do you all use a barlow ??

Rob:

Your scopes have focal lengths of 1000mm and 1200mm. With the 9mm eyepiece, this provides 111x and 133x. A 5mm would provide 240x and 200x. Probably adequate for most situations but there maybe situations when more is desired. In my 4 inch refractor, I find that at times I use as much as 300x viewing double stars and to do that a Barlow is necessary, even with a 3.5mm eyepiece.

If you use a laser collimator to collimate a Newtonian, a Barlow is almost a necessity...

Like a pair of hand holdable binoculars, I think a decent Barlow is just something everyone ought to have, it is handy thing to own... I like the GSO 1.25 inch 2x because of it doubles as a 1.5x Barlow and it also serves as short extension tube and as a filter holder.

Jon

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Re: Celestron X-Cel LX 2x Barlow Lens 1.25"... ?? new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5634778 - 01/21/13 11:44 AM

Jon thanks for the reply. Guess I was just trying to put it off, especially since I have a Barlow already.
I think I can work with the one I have. As far as being worried that I insert the barlow too far, I've come up with an idea. I have rubber O rings and by placing one on the Barlow set to where it won't bottom out will do the trick...I think. This way when I insert the barlow it will go as far as the O ring.
Here is the barlow I have. I can break it down into three sections with the lens being located in the smaller black tube. This does screw into ep's, tried that just now.

I think I may still get that GSO for $33 and just use the one I have for the Dob.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3334

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics