Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: I have had the chance to go up to 22000 feet new [Re: GlennLeDrew]
      #5672401 - 02/10/13 01:48 PM

In my case have been considering rooftop or elevated platform to avoid the low-lying ground fog common here.Often there is a visibly dense layer about chest high above the ground.Yet the air above is much less foggy.One can see the effect over grassy fields early many mornings as well.I'm thinking getting above that might increase the number of viewing nights.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RedLionNJ
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/29/09

Loc: Red Lion, NJ, USA
Re: I have had the chance to go up to 22000 feet new [Re: BigC]
      #5672674 - 02/10/13 04:46 PM

Totally depends on your purpose for going higher. Personally, with a very few exceptions, I've found seeing to be significantly poorer in mountain environments. Give me that sluggish, thick airmass for planetary viewing anyday. Once in a while you might get better seeing at altitude, but I'd take predictability over chance.

Grant

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: I have had the chance to go up to 22000 feet new [Re: RedLionNJ]
      #5672945 - 02/10/13 07:46 PM

Quote:

With a very few exceptions, I've found seeing to be significantly poorer in mountain environments.

Obviously, that's not always true -- there's a reason major observatories are built on mountaintops! A general rule of thumb is that the seeing is best at or near the top on the windward side of a mountain, and tends to be terrible in the lee. Which makes sense if you know anything about fluid flow. Think, for instance, of a boat's smooth bow wave and turbulent wake.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1275

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics