Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Ebyl

Reged: 07/04/12

Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5768477 - 03/31/13 10:31 AM

Quote:

That's what the Ferrari quote is all about. If they are being a snob, that quote will shut them up. If they are being serious, or just making conversation, that quote always draws a smile and most times a chuckle. After that its all gravy.

Even if I had genuine interest in something, I'm pretty sure being told that would put me off. At the very least from the person/group that was out there. I'd probably find another astronomy club or whatever to get my answers and pay my dues.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5768478 - 03/31/13 10:31 AM

Quote:

Do thers here get this question? How do you respond?

I honestly say "I bought all this stuff with the money I saved by not leaving my exterior lights on all night long."

If nothing else it makes them think.

obin

Edited by obin robinson (03/31/13 10:32 AM)

jgraham
Postmaster

Reged: 12/02/04

Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Soci...
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5768491 - 03/31/13 10:36 AM

Heh, heh, that's when it is nice to have my secret weapon... my homebuilt 16.5" f/6.5. Big, impressive, and it cost me all of $350 to build! That's what you can do with over 30 years of telescope making experience.

Yeah, I hate this question, but I'm honest and explain what they are seeing (I usually use my LXD75 AR6 for outreach) is not typical starter gear and this is a hobby that can be enjoyed with very modest gear, or even none at all!

GTBaker

Reged: 02/01/13

Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: btb]
      #5768510 - 03/31/13 10:47 AM

Quote:

I have told people it cost more than they have in their billfold.

That's not hard these days. I never have cash on me... always use debit.

I've never had that question asked yet...as I never had my scope out yet due to this lousy weather.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/18/12

Loc: western MA, U.S.
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5768520 - 03/31/13 10:55 AM

I've gotten the question too.. But from friends who spend similarly on music gear and they haven't pushed which I Would think is rude. I know its kind of naive to say its not a financial decision hardly at all for me...my friends and family understand this about me. I am most clearly not of the type who would think of money when seeing say a motorcycle, telescope , some new technology/gadget or guitar...I think of how nice it is to use these quality things... I know some people even here think listing your gear is a bragging thing which I don't get either..I mean maybe it is for some, not myself. I thi kits helpful since I'm always giving and receiving info here.

Anyways, I find your friends pushing rude .. they're
Reducing someone else's passion, interest, excitement, thirst for knowledge and experience, to a context that works for them.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: City Kid]
      #5768524 - 03/31/13 10:58 AM

Quote:

My answer to that question depends on who's asking. There are some people that I don't mind just giving them the answer. )

Yes I guess that's true too.. (Norte to self: read the whole thread before getting all defensive about my buying decisions).. Carry on.

Midnight Dan
Postmaster

Reged: 01/23/08

Loc: Hilton, NY, Yellow Zone (Bortl...
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: GTBaker]
      #5768531 - 03/31/13 11:00 AM

If someone is asking questions, it means they may have a budding interest in the hobby. The last thing you want to do is give a snappy response that makes it seem too expensive. Things like "More than you have in your wallet" or the "If you have to ask ..." response, will have that effect.

I like Carols's response - that you can get into the hobby with a relatively inexpensive scope, and if you're interested, work your way up to equipment that's more capable and costs more. It provides them with a general idea of what the hobby costs to get into, and the realization that what they're looking at is an advanced scope that costs more.

-Dan

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5768537 - 03/31/13 11:02 AM

I have no issues telling anyone what my gear cost. If you been in the hobby a while, you know what stuff costs.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: Ebyl]
      #5768539 - 03/31/13 11:03 AM

Quote:

If you are certain the person is asking for those reasons, to justify their distaste or disinterest in the hobby, then I would agree it's rude. But making judgements like that can be extremely tenuous. I would be worried about putting off someone from the hobby that simply doesn't have the best people skills and comes across the wrong way.

I always try to remember that the more people I can get interested in the hobby, the better it is for all of us.

Agreed. But I think you can get a pretty good idea of where the person is coming from if they're pushing on price but haven't asked any other questions of what it can be used for specifically, or why YOU bought it, etc...

Ebyl

Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: lamplight]
      #5768563 - 03/31/13 11:15 AM

Quote:

But I think you can get a pretty good idea of where the person is coming from if they're pushing on price but haven't asked any other questions of what it can be used for specifically, or why YOU bought it, etc...

I agree that's often the case. I hesitate to rely on such judgements, though, because there have been times in my life when my judgements have been wrong. And no doubt there are times when it would be impossible to misjudge someone.

Going back to the Ferrari or supercar reference, my belief is that if you own (and use in public) something interesting/unique/rare/whatever like that, you should be prepared to politely field a range of questions about it, including cost. But here's the catch... If you as an owner, or even anyone associated with Ferrari itself, are elitist and rude, it's not going to hurt Ferrari. They will still sell their cars and merchandise no matter what the salespeople and owners act like.

Amateur astronomy is not so lucky. Every person added to the hobby, or even every person who just gains a slight interest in astronomy, is a boon to the hobby. More people can mean anything from more awareness about light pollution, to enough interest in telescopes to keep a wide range in choice in telescopes for us, to even more money being funneled into astronomical research.

I always try to keep that in mind when interacting with people regarding amateur astronomy, even if they are coming off as somewhat rude. We need everyone we can get, unlike a group such as Ferrari or Pagani, who will sell their stuff almost no matter what (assuming the quality remains acceptable).

chaoscosmos
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Mission Viejo CA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Ebyl]
      #5768601 - 03/31/13 11:32 AM

Sheesh, sometimes I'm mildly curious myself how much cash is into some of the scope set-ups in the "post a photo of your refractor" thread, but just figure it's as much or more than some people pay for their house...

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5768606 - 03/31/13 11:33 AM

I have certain family,friends ,neighbors, and co-workers who want to know the price of everything in order to pass their judgment of whether it was a good deal and money well spent.

Since my interests and attitudes do not coincide with theirs ,it usually leads to put-downs or head-shaking or both.

I disagree that the person who immediately asks what did it cost? is interested in astronomy. Only after showing some interest in actually looking ,and maybe some comments about "how do I do this?" does a person ask about cost.

Those whose first question is always cost have a different outlook.

Finally, yes,I am a bit suspicious,because of experiences with ordinary looking people who do bad things.

I'd rather they think there is nothing worth stealing than try to impress someone with how I can afford to buy a $5000 scope(I can't anyway,but that is none of their business either)

Do your houseguests or block party guests demand the price of your sofa? gas grill?

I prefer to say that I shop carefully and you can see a lot without spending a lot of money but you can spend a lot of money if you want.

kansas skies
sage

Reged: 12/02/12

Loc: Kansas, USA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5768634 - 03/31/13 11:41 AM

I thought about this for awhile, and I honestly can't remember anyone ever asking this question. Quite a few people have looked through my telescopes through the years. Their reactions, as expected, seem to vary from mildly interested to highly enthused. With very few exceptions, their interest is directed toward the object being viewed, and not toward the equipment being used. The few that show interest in equipment usually already own something with which to compare. Those that don't seem to be more interested in what they can put together for themselves, and not in what I have invested.

Bill

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5768643 - 03/31/13 11:47 AM

What is a list of your gear if not bragging?

If not offering a list of stuff for sale or trade what else could it be?

It is your right to brag if you like and no one needs my permission or approval.

Entirely different is a list of the gear used in making a specific observation or project.Then the gear is actually germane to the discussion or observation.And knowing what gear was used is helpful to others.

Do you routinely list all your other possessions in public forums ? I don't think so.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5768645 - 03/31/13 11:48 AM

How much does it cost? How much you got? Guess the true answer is: "more next week then this week". Although when it comes to clouds, I've got the market cornered.....

Ebyl

Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: BigC]
      #5768648 - 03/31/13 11:49 AM

Quote:

Do your houseguests or block party guests demand the price of your sofa? gas grill?

I'm willing to bet every house guest already has some experience with grills and sofas. Even if they have not used grills, they have probably seen them in ads or in stores where a price is visible. They have a concept of what those things are worth.

Most people do not have a concept of what a piece of equipment costs that allows you to see another galaxy or the GRS on Jupiter.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: kansas skies]
      #5768649 - 03/31/13 11:49 AM

I'd answer the question with this question,

"Are you interested in getting a telescope?"

It's a way to side step an inappropriate question and yet open the door to a discussion that will lead to some meaningful answers.

His response to your question will tell you his true intent. Then you may be able to talk value. But if he responds with something like, "Nope, just want to know how much." Then pull out the Ferrari answer because it's none of his business.

lamplight
Carpal Tunnel

Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5768728 - 03/31/13 12:47 PM

That's good Paco! If we keep at thisi think we will cover every possible variation of perceived motives and personality type, all the while not really knowing where other people are coming from because it seems the human condition to assume our point of view is really what another's point of view is. I don't hold myself exempt .. It's almost funny. You can see how even in this thread, some people are outright saying that another's motives for doing some are definitely "X" because that's what they are thinking. That's ridiculous and unfortunately the point where communication breaks down all too quickly. That's one reason I don't spend a lot of time with people lol. If I'm not doing the same thing , I'm incapable of understanding some people's point of view even when I try hard. So I for one will today try to be more accepting because it might give me a little more peace, not because you deserve it.

CharlesW
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/02/12

Loc: Chula Vista & Indio, CA
      #5768760 - 03/31/13 01:05 PM

My wife is very secretive when it comes to telling, even her family, the details of our finances, but I'm less so. As a retired deputy I don't mind asking casual questions of the person so I can gauge their interest and intentions, and then I'll give them a more or less accurate accounting.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: CharlesW]
      #5768790 - 03/31/13 01:21 PM

I have been asked this a number of times at outreach events. I always say, basically, that it is like any hobby people pursue -- fishing, golf, music, offroading -- and that folks spend varying amounts and still enjoy it. Then I note that my partcular equipment, counting the full eyepiece case sitting over there, probably amounts to about $8,000, but that it was amassed over time, and that a beginner can get into astronomy at a nice level for less than a quarter that much. I think, as some have notedm that unlike cars or boats or golf clubs, most people really have no idea what our gear might cost, and they are just looking for a ballpark number which, in their imagination, could range from the high hundreds to the tens of thousands or anywhere in between.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4636

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics