Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
izar187
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/02/06

Loc: 43N
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5768800 - 03/31/13 01:26 PM

Quote:

Do others here get this question? How do you respond?

I use alt-az mounted newts. Most were purchased used, and all are on home built mounts.
The expensive stuff, well my such purchases were not bought outright. But by time payments to my hobby fund, first.
So I give them ball park estimates.

Outreach is most often about easy doubles, the brighter deep sky, and what planets are up.
So I'll include the modest cost of Seasonal Star Charts, the Bright Star Atlas or the Pocket Sky Atlas.
Depending on the size of the scope that I'm sharing.

This is actually a pretty affordable hobby, if pursued that way.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: CharlesW]
      #5768828 - 03/31/13 01:40 PM

It depends who is asking. If its someone who is in the hobby, then I tell them right away, I even tell them where I bought the stuff. I have not spent a whole lot more than my original investments, since I sell older equipment to fund the new and don't keep redundant equipment around for very long. If a neighbor or a friend asks, I give them a general idea of what my net investment is, not the dollar value of what I have now. If they whistle and say they can't believe it, I liken it to their set of golf clubs, motorcycle (what a nice scope I could have for the price of some those) or even their bicycle. A neighbor last summer said the cost wasn't as much as he thought and after some research and questions to me he ended up spending about 2K on a nice set up. With some people at outreach I just lowball the price, since I'm not comfortable talking with them. If I think someone is asking so they can gauge my financial state, then I evade the question or just change the subject.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5768833 - 03/31/13 01:41 PM

When doing outreach, people often ask how much my stuff costs. I never tell them. I don't want people to get too curious. What I tell them is to check out some web sites such as Orion and others, that they will show them a variety of telescopes and accessories, and what they cost. I do engage these people in the differences between telescopes and so on.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: izar187]
      #5768845 - 03/31/13 01:47 PM

Normally I'd respond no differently then I would to someone on this forum...I'd tell them. I would let them know you can do it cheaper, or more expensive as you wish. While I have some nice eyepieces, my scopes themselves are factory, nothing special. I would like to upgrade my XTi mirror in a few years, maybe a Zambuto.

steve-in-kville
sage

Reged: 12/24/07

Loc: Pennsylvania, USA
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5768861 - 03/31/13 01:54 PM

Lots of great perspectives listed so far. I guess I have always been very conservative when it came to discussing finances (I was brought up this way).

As mentioned, it could do some good to steer people towards Orion's site if they show a genuine interest.

buddyjesus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/07/10

Loc: Davison, Michigan
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5768873 - 03/31/13 01:58 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Do thers here get this question? How do you respond?

I honestly say "I bought all this stuff with the money I saved by not leaving my exterior lights on all night long."

If nothing else it makes them think.

obin

I love this answer. I am not offended when people ask as usually it is because they are curious about getting a telescope themselves. So instead of mind reading about the reason they are inquiring, I ask them why they are asking before I answer.

Cliff Hipsher
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/31/08

Loc: North Chesterfield, VA
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5769072 - 03/31/13 03:40 PM

Quote:

For those that are reluctant to answer the "how much does it cost" question, what is that concerns you, what makes you uncomfortable?

Jon

For me its not the question in and of itself, but in how the question is being asked. Body language and inflection speak louder than just plain words...

In the extremes one could compare a child's exclamation and facial expression to those of someone who just stepped in dog poo... The former would get the full treatment, and the later would not.

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: buddyjesus]
      #5769134 - 03/31/13 04:29 PM

I have found the best way to reply to a question that seems overly intrusive or nosy is, "why do you want to know."

If someone's being nosy, they usually sheepishly laugh off my follow-up question. If they are genuinely seeking information, they say so.

In the end, I answer what I want and refuse to let someone make me feel funny for telling them to mind their own beeswax...

Carol L

Reged: 07/05/04

Loc: Tomahawk, WI 45N//89W
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5769245 - 03/31/13 05:12 PM

Oddly enough, no one's ever asked me.

herrointment
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/12/11

Loc: North of Hwy. 64
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Carol L]
      #5769271 - 03/31/13 05:17 PM

I have to set up next to the road. The cops always stop and if it's a new officer they always ask and I always tell them.

Noisykids
sage

Reged: 06/01/11

Loc: ma
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Cliff Hipsher]
      #5769409 - 03/31/13 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Umm, yes and no. Those who may have a fleeting interest in getting one for themselves may ask the question.

Not necessarily. There are those who ask as a means as justifying their disinterest or distaste for the hobby.

I use an answer I borrowed from a Ferrari saleman: "If you have to ask, you cannot afford one..."

and the ferrari salesman borrowed that from cornelius vanderbilt, i think.
i think i would tell people what the stuff was and then tell them to look it up.

eta--- jp morgan apparently. i always thought it was in response to a query about one of his yachts.

Edited by Noisykids (03/31/13 06:14 PM)

sg6
professor emeritus

Reged: 02/14/10

Loc: Norfolk, UK.
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Carol L]
      #5769467 - 03/31/13 06:43 PM

Suppose it depends on how the question is put.
There is slight difference between "How much did that cost?"
and "How much would it cost for a similar setup ?"

The first would probably be registered as more aggressive, sort of demanding an answer.

I can understand not wanting to answer in any specific manner, I don't think I would like to do so.

Perhaps the solution is to replay as if asked "how much would a similar setup like that cost?", by answering to get similar now would be $$$. That way they have information relevant to costs now, but not what was specifically paid. Throw in that much can be bought used which reduces the cost and they have an answer and nothing overly specific to your actual outlay.

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5769507 - 03/31/13 07:04 PM

Two times recently at different occasion’s pops to mind, both times I answered exactly what I paid and where I got it from.
I’m very sure both times the question was to estimate accessibility.
As a side note: People guessing can be just as mean as people knowing

tezster
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/14/09

Loc: Missisauga, Canada
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Gert K A]
      #5769537 - 03/31/13 07:28 PM

Giving this a little more thought, I think that the only occasion where I would be wary of answering was if I was alone, and was fearful in some way of harm coming to either myself or my equipment. I have rarely, if ever, faced such a situation.

I will also add, rather than face a simple question with mistrust and suspicion, why not give the person the benefit of the doubt? IMHO, there seems to be a little bit of over-analysis going on in this discussion Discounting the scenario described above, I just tell the person what they want to know, along with some background on the equipment and its associated cost. If the person was asking to somehow pass judgement on me in some way, what do I care? It's one stranger in a world of 6 billion that I will probably never encounter again in my lifetime. I could care less what his opinion of me is, I will go on my merry way with my own life, unaffected by this person's attitude.

Edited by panhard (04/01/13 10:49 AM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: BigC]
      #5769554 - 03/31/13 07:36 PM

Quote:

What is a list of your gear if not bragging?

When I am reading a post or answering a question, I like to know what equipment is involved. For some, it might be bragging but I think of it as something helpful...

Jon

steve-in-kville
sage

Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5769568 - 03/31/13 07:42 PM

^^^^ what he said. That makes a lot of sense to me.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: tezster]
      #5769570 - 03/31/13 07:46 PM

Quote:

Giving this a little more thought, I think that the only occasion where I would be wary of answering was if I was alone, and was fearful in some way of harm coming to either myself or my equipment. I have rarely, if ever, faced such a situation.

I will also add, rather than face a simple question with mistrust and suspicion, why not give the person the benefit of the doubt? IMHO, there seems to be a little bit of over-analysis going on in this discussion Discounting the scenario described above, I just tell the person what they want to know, along with some background on the equipment and its associated cost. If the person was asking to somehow pass judgement on me in some way, what do I care? It's one stranger in a world of 6 billion that I will probably never encounter again in my lifetime. I could care less what his opinion of me is - if he/she happens to be a douche, he/she will remain so afterwards, and I will go on my merry way with my own life, unaffected by this person's attitude.

I get asked the cost of my equipment, questions like this come up after some rapport has been established. Probably someone has looked though the scope, seen a few neat things. It can be a back handed compliment, a form a "male bonding".. It's just a natural part of the flow, I never see it as anything serious..

YMMV

Jon

steve-in-kville
sage

#5769573 - 03/31/13 07:48 PM

The bottom line is, everyone has their own passions, interests & hobbies. That makes us all different, hopefully in a good way.

For example, I do not understand golfers. I would rather watch paint dry. Spend $350 for a single club??!!

(But then what some of us spent on a single EP??!!)

My policy has been, I do not critize your interests, please do not look down on me because of mine.

Many thanks for all the great posts thus far.

rdandrea
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/13/10

Loc: Colorado, USA DM59ra
      #5769574 - 03/31/13 07:48 PM

I've never been offended by this question and I've never been tempted to be rude or hostile to anyone who asked. We are, after all, ambassadors for our hobby.

TL2101
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/17/10

Loc: Concord, Ca
      #5769581 - 03/31/13 07:54 PM

If it is a public outreach or another astronomer I will answer any question pertaining to astronomy or astronomy equipment to the best of my knowledge. If someone asks a general cost question I will give a range like you can find them used for as low as or new for X amount.

What I find strange is when I start getting questions like where do you live and what do you do for a living. I am there to talk astronomy not about my personal information.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
11 registered and 40 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4635

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics