Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)
Feidb
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: TL2101]
      #5769618 - 03/31/13 08:11 PM

I have no problem with it. I have a LOT of aperture for the money and sometimes I get a few dropped jaws when they hear what I paid. They have just come from someone with a much smaller scope that has paid twice to three times as much but the difference is, they have all the doodads so they can take images. I'm seeing things for real, no Memorex.

Most people don't often ask how much I spent on eyepieces. That gets pretty much the same reaction if they do ask, especially when they can't tell the difference in the view from an equivalent telescope, equivalent magnification, if there is such present.

The fact is, it's just a question like everything else. Like how far away is the object. In that case, I tell them to ask someone else because I don't have a clue!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
evilmedic13

Reged: 06/23/12

Loc: Chicago,Il
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5769864 - 03/31/13 10:57 PM

Quote:

I have found the best way to reply to a question that seems overly intrusive or nosy is, "why do you want to know."

If someone's being nosy, they usually sheepishly laugh off my follow-up question. If they are genuinely seeking information, they say so.

In the end, I answer what I want and refuse to let someone make me feel funny for telling them to mind their own beeswax...

This is how I do it too. Only for strangers, and some relatives, though. If friends, or co-workers ask, they get told. All others have to do a little justifying first.

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5769875 - 03/31/13 11:09 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What is a list of your gear if not bragging?

When I am reading a post or answering a question, I like to know what equipment is involved. For some, it might be bragging but I think of it as something helpful...

Jon

I've always listed mine so people know what I have vice having to answer; What telescope do you have?

Of course my number of scopes is growing a bit too much. I may need to condense the listing somehow.

John Kuraoka
sage

Reged: 12/12/12

Loc: Sunny San Diego, CA
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #5769900 - 03/31/13 11:29 PM

This whole thing reminds of a passage in The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint-Exupery. I don't have a copy to hand, and I'm probably paraphrasing it poorly because it's been a long time since I read it, but it had to do with perceptions of value in grown-ups vs. children, and how you might buy a lovely cottage for its beautiful views and sunny rooms and joyful gardens, but when talking to other grown-ups you must don the cloak of a grown-up and talk about the price.

I have neither the stuff nor the expertise to be asked this question by others about my astronomical gear. But I have in the past been asked it about photography and backpacking gear. I usually just answered the question, provided some appropriate context, and moved on, unless something triggered my "teaching" mode. In which case I'd provide a lot more context, in some cases going back to my childhood.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5770022 - 04/01/13 01:21 AM

Does no one read the whole reply?

I said in part :"Entirely different is a list of the gear used in making a specific observation or project.Then the gear is actually germane to the discussion or observation.And knowing what gear was used is helpful to others"

Now I suppose if you list everything you have it will naturally include all the gear used in the observation or technique under discussion-

jerwin
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/17/12

Loc: Romeoville IL
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: steve-in-kville]
      #5770027 - 04/01/13 01:27 AM

I always tell them it's my second most expensive hobby, after drinking...and I had SEVERAL years head start on that one.

I sometimes feel kind of guilty that I spend what I spend, but it's my money, it's my hobby I can do what I want with it, it's not my fault that they're putting 3 kids through college. But usually when you’re in the company of your fellow astronomers, they're asking because they want one and want to know what it will set them back.

I had a guy drilling me on my Lunt, and he finally said the "magic words" This is amazing, I want to buy this exact one, what's that going to cost me.

Jim

WarmWeatherGuy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/27/11

Loc: Orlando, FL 28° N, 81° W
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: jerwin]
      #5770117 - 04/01/13 03:41 AM

I saw a YouTube video where someone was showing their nice telescope in their new backyard observatory. One person left a comment that this guy must be really rich. I replied that a swimming pool probably costs more and many people have a swimming pool. We don't claim everyone with a swimming pool is rich. It is just a matter of priorities.

kevint1
sage

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: WarmWeatherGuy]
      #5770253 - 04/01/13 08:19 AM

Quote:

We don't claim everyone with a swimming pool is rich. It is just a matter of priorities.

Exactly!

mark8888
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/24/10

Re: "How much did that cost?" new [Re: kevint1]
      #5770490 - 04/01/13 10:56 AM

I've been asked this question a lot. I tell friends the truth, but if asked by a student or colleague I always say that it's impossible to really say because the scope is made up of so many different components purchased at different times from different places, like eyepieces, diagonals, the mount, etc. If pressed I'll say I really don't know, and then I'll usually give an example cost of one component, like an eyepiece. I might tell students how much they'd need to spend for a basic telescope set.

Wcclower

Reged: 04/14/11

Loc: Terrell, Texas
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5770533 - 04/01/13 11:21 AM

Once a person told me "bet that costs as much as a Buick!"

panhard
It's All Good

Reged: 01/20/08

Loc: Markham Ontario Canada
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Wcclower]
      #5770584 - 04/01/13 11:38 AM

Yes but they didn't mention the year did they. The first time I saw a scope on an equatorial mount I thought it was worth 7 or 8 thousand dollars. I do believe it was an 8" scope.

ubermick

Reged: 04/12/12

Loc: San Rafael, CA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: panhard]
      #5770608 - 04/01/13 11:47 AM

At a star party a few months back, two people asked the question, and gave them the same response:

"Why - are you thinking of getting one?"

First person said "Oh GOD NO!! Just curious!" Clearly no interest, so I simply replied that it was a mid-level scope (C8 on a CG5-GT mount) that I bought used from a friend, but still spent more than my wife would have liked, and left it at that. Second person with his two sons said "Yeah, we've been using binoculars for a few months, and I bought my son a cheap one for Christmas. But now that I've looked through some of your guys' telescopes, I'm thinking of getting a good one, especially since my eldest was really starting to get into it." Got a bit more specific with them about things in that case, let him know that the telescope new was about $1,500 but they can usually be had used for about half of that, but you could get a really good telescope for even less. And then warned him that the cost of the telescope was only part of it, he should budget a little extra for a few good eyepieces to start off with as well, plus power tanks and the like if he gets a GoTo scope. Seemed utterly SHOCKED that a telescope would cost that much, but I pointed him to the CN classifieds, and advised him to keep his eye out on Craigslist.

What was REALLY cool was that I got an email from him last week thanking me for the advice, and letting me know he picked up a used C6 with a non-goto mount for $350 on Craigslist. So there you go - not everyone who asks is being rude!

MawkHawk
sage

Reged: 08/23/09

Loc: SE Michigan, USA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5770631 - 04/01/13 11:53 AM

I don't consider it to be a rude question if, say, another amateur asks or someone I know is interested in purchasing one of their own. I do consider it to be rude when someone asks at an outreach event with that I-can't-believe-you'd-spend-that-much-on-a-telescope-you-must-be-nuts-or-too-rich kind of attitude...

MessiToM
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 12/21/09

Loc: Huntingdon PA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: ubermick]
      #5770642 - 04/01/13 11:55 AM

It makes me feel awkward at times but not offended. In my case it is usually someone at an outreach or public night at a star party. Most seem curious how much they need to spend to get a scope. When asked about my old Z12 people were usually assuming it cost more (was $400 used) than they think.

Then they seem to have a glimmer to their eye that they thought perhaps they would need a few grand to have some decent aperture.....

maybe I helped someone recognize the hobby was within their reach

Footbag
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/13/09

Loc: Scranton, PA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: MessiToM]
      #5770655 - 04/01/13 11:58 AM

I hate getting the question. I usually lie on the very low end.

Unless some rowdy kids happen by, then I tell them the truth and let them know who's paying for it if they break it.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: panhard]
      #5770672 - 04/01/13 12:05 PM

Overall, I tend to de-emphasize the cost of hobbies, and point out the less expensive path.If I brag,and yes I do, it is about finding a great deal at whatever place but never has been or will be how the widow sold her husband's "old telescope" to me for $20,not knowing it was worth $1000.

There are a small number of so-called dealers who prey on those without price knowledge.I see some on ebay and some on c-list,offering 3" alt-az reflectors for hundreds of dollars ,when even the manufacturer suggested retail price is "only" $99.If asked I will defintely warn people away from such.

I don't mind helping out someone truly interested but don't care to give "ammunition" to someone who wants to ridicule the expense.Those same people often think nothing of spending more for cigarettes,tc. .I may think they are foolish too but try to keep it to myself.

I forget which British author mentioned priorities,as in even a person of modest means can have a fine telescope by driving an older car,and so on.One of my co-workers goes on cruises and vacations that cost as much or more than my hobby.Neither of us criticize the other's choice.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: BigC]
      #5770695 - 04/01/13 12:19 PM

Bottom line is, the question is unthoughtful and inappropriate in our culture. We adults know how to handle it as adults.

But for sure, I don't consider myself an ambassador for any hobby: assuming that duty, well, have at it if it floats your boat. lol

Mentor
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/30/10

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5770807 - 04/01/13 01:19 PM

Well said, Paco Grande.

Mark Costello
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/05

Loc: Matthews, NC, USA
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Mike4242]
      #5770831 - 04/01/13 01:32 PM

Quote:

I had my AR152 on a CG-5 at an outreach once and a guy asked me: "What does something like this run? Two or three hundred?". I told him that it cost a little more than that, but he could get a decent beginner scope for around $300. I could tell he was asking because he was interested in getting into the hobby, so I wasn't annoyed; however, I did find it interesting how his concept of what astronomy gear costs was way off.

There have been a few times in which someone has asked me how much my current 5" rig cost or the 4" achro rig I had before that. Sometimes, it was a neighbor who had bought his son a telescope, a couple of times it was a brother who is into "naked-eye" astronomy, a couple of times friends of one daughter or another asked. In all these cases, my inference was that they were trying to get a feel on how much they had to invest to get started with a telescope. Like you, I gave them the quick answer and told them they could get other type telescopes that would be larger for a good bit less money. Oh, the problems of being a refracto-fanatic....

Mike4242
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/02/11

Loc: Memphis, TN
Re: "How much did that cost?" [Re: Mark Costello]
      #5771244 - 04/01/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Oh, the problems of being a refracto-fanatic....

So true!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 43 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4633

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics