Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Astrohat]
      #5833981 - 05/01/13 10:05 AM

Quote:

I will buy the EQ-2, then. I see it for $200 on Amazon. None is for sale on Ebay. Do you know a place where I could pay much less? Will the shorttube fit perfectly on it, or do I need an adapter? Thank you.

You can bolt the rings to the EQ2. I found mine used for about half price right here in the CN classifieds. It was in new condition.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: REC]
      #5833987 - 05/01/13 10:07 AM

When I was shopping around for a more portable rig (which I didn't buy, because I realized in winter, I have to go *very* far to get a decent sky), I was torn between getting an ~80mm refractor (ST80 was high on the list, due to its price and 'rich field' wide viewing potential) or something more like Orion's SkyScanner 100.

Once I started looking at the refractors, I realized I might need to spend more on the tripod than the scope...I was thinking something along the lines of Vixen's mini porta mount. Nice tripods are expensive On the other hand, tripods are not single use, you may re-use your tripod with binocs or a camera or an upgraded scope.

On the other extreme, the SkyScanner 100 is a toy. But it has a real advantage in that it comes with a table-top alt-az mount. My much larger StarBlast 6 has a similar mount, and I like it. It is stable and durable and easy to use. Of course with the SkyScanner 100, it is so small that having a table or something to set it on isn't really optional. So it is kind of a much less expensive way to be assured that you will get a mount that is up to the duty, and is definitely very portable. Downside is that it is more toy-like, and when you upgrade you will not be able to re-use any part of the SkyScanner except for any EPs you buy.

Of course, if you're set on equatorial, then disregard this message.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5834054 - 05/01/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just noticed the model they sell has an EQ-1, so I would need the telescope without the EQ-1, and then get the EQ-2.

Just remember there is a tabletop version of the EQ1. I put a link to it in my first reply. As long as you have access to a table you can mount the little SV50 (or for that matter the ST80) to it. The total weight of the SV50 and the EQ1 is UNDER 10 lbs. The EQ1 is rated for a scope 3x heavier than the SV50. This whole setup would fit in a backpack and it would work for astrophotography.

obin

Humm..

The ST-80 weighs almost exactly 3 lbs and is much more capable than a 50mm scope. If one is going to go with a 50mm scope, a pair of binoculars is probably a better choice.

In terms of portability, the mount is the important factor.

I have owned several scopes with tabletop mounts. In concept they seem nice but in practice, I have always found them awkward to use. The table has to be very solid and then it's always getting in the way of a comfortable viewing position.

I think the ST-80 on an EQ-1 used in the alt-az mode is a good solution. I had an Celestron ST-80 on an EQ-1 which I gave to a friend, it was reasonable rig.

A solid photo tripod is also viable, I use my ST-80 on a Bogen 3040. Bogen class photo tripods are nice because they are designed to setup quickly and are robust. New, they are expensive but used they can be quite cheap...

(My ST-80 on the Bogen. It has been modified with a 2 inch focuser)

Jon

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5834099 - 05/01/13 11:04 AM

You'll get much less false color and abilty to use higher magnification with a 90mm Mak.

Orion sells one and of course Meade and Bushnell have their Mak and Mount.

AMeade DSX-90 (may not be availavable new?) is not that heavy and show up on ebay used for $150-$200

Or mount a 90 or 100mm Mak on a manual tripod .

But for anything more than snapshots of the Moon you need some kind of tracking.

Visual only will be less frustrating .
I have viewed Saturn as a small but sharp object in a Meade DSX-90.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: BigC]
      #5834116 - 05/01/13 11:13 AM

Quote:

You'll get much less false color and abilty to use higher magnification with a 90mm Mak.

The Mak will be better at the higher magnifications on planets and double stars.

The downside is that it has a relatively narrow field of view which makes finding objects more difficult. The ST-80 is basically a super finder, with a 32mm Plossl, it provides a 4 degree TFoV. By comparison, the 90mm Mak has a maximum possible field of view of about 1.25 degrees and finding objects is more problematic.

Jon

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: BigC]
      #5834124 - 05/01/13 11:16 AM

A Bogen tripod with a fluid head would indeed work well.

As Jon says, the mount affects portability the most, which is why I suggested the AZ-4 as the lightest mount I know of that has slo-mo controls.

But OP only mentions EQ mounts, so maybe he's not interested in altaz. Which is absolutely fine, except it belies the statement that portability is top priority (as it would be for me, were I to take a scope on a bus).

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Widespread]
      #5834160 - 05/01/13 11:35 AM

Why not either an ETX80 or ETX90?

http://store.meade.com/telescopes/etx/etx-80at-tc-bb-achromatic-refractor-wit...

http://store.meade.com/telescopes/etx/etx-90-maksutov-cassegrain-portable-obs...

They come up used around here all the time for a lot less money and they're called "backpack" scopes for a reason. The 2 above come with a purpose built backpack to carry it in.

RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Widespread]
      #5834165 - 05/01/13 11:37 AM

Just for clarification, what I call my "ST80" is in fact a Celestron Wide View 80, but it is EXACTLY the same scope with different paint and stickers, and made by Synta just like Orion's ST80.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: RussL]
      #5834216 - 05/01/13 12:06 PM

ST80 on a Porta II - Starguy has another demo unit on sale.

http://www.mrstarguy.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=434

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #5834320 - 05/01/13 12:48 PM

Quote:

Will a camera tripod be appropriate to view Saturn? Will I have to keep adjusting, causing a lot of vibrations?

The ST80 is a poor planetary scope. It just isn't capable of decent enough magnification.

At its best, Saturn will be a small bright dot with a ring. Jupiter is a slightly bigger bright dot with a couple dark bands, if you are lucky.

It's an OK wide field refractor, that gives false color on bright objects. No more, no less.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5834370 - 05/01/13 01:13 PM

Quote:

The model I am looking at is equipped with an EQ 1 tripod.

I have a few questions to you:

1. I read the tripod is wobbly. Do you know if it wobbles? If it does, what EQ tripod prevents the wobbling? You can make changes or modifications to "tighten up" a small, weak tripod. I did it with my first 60mm EQ-1 scope. The best mod is to replace the legs with something heavier, or perhaps a fixed non-adjustable leg. The EQ-1's that I have used would be fine for visual viewing with a Short Tube 80.

2. If I have to add weight to the tripod, how much would I need? I have to account for that before I head to the bus. I would try to tighten the tripod first by using screws, grommets, wedges, etc to tweak out all the loose connections & pivot points. It just takes a little tweaking.

3. Does a cheap digital camera ($100) will give me pretty much the same quality image than a $600? Forget imaging with this setup. Just enjoy it visually.

4. What adapter do I need to use a camera on it? I guess it depends on the camera that I use as well.

4. What filter should I buy right away? Moon filter? When you can afford it, this is the only filter I would recommend:http://www.adorama.com/AA2458370.html?gclid=CO-P-Nyx9bYCFeU5QgodI2MAsg

5. Is it realistic to consider long exposure astrophotography? I'm thinking of galaxies, nebulae. No

I have a little experience with a Short Tube 90, and can say that it was a very nice, lightweight achromat that provided excellent wide-field views. It fell a little short on planets, but we didn't have a Fringe Killer type filter.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: SteveG]
      #5834399 - 05/01/13 01:23 PM

This scope from another post might be worth looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestron-PowerSeeker-80EQ-Refractor-Telescope-Packag...

It has the same EQ-1 mount, but includes a small drive motor. You would need to beef-up the legs on this, and the supplied eyepieces are of poor quality, but the scope is probably better optically.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: BSJ]
      #5834546 - 05/01/13 02:34 PM

Quote:

The ST80 is a poor planetary scope. It just isn't capable of decent enough magnification.

At its best, Saturn will be a small bright dot with a ring. Jupiter is a slightly bigger bright dot with a couple dark bands, if you are lucky.

Hey, the ST80 is far from optimal as a planetary scope, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're implying. At 100X, Saturn will be a lovely disk with crisp rings, and you have a good shot at seeing the Cassini Division if you work at it.

Jupiter's two main bands are blindingly obvious, and you should be able to see considerable additional detail.

If your ST80 isn't doing this, something is wrong. Either it has defective optics or (more likely) you're using a defective star diagonal.

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5834661 - 05/01/13 03:29 PM

No there's nothing wrong with my 2" diagonal, or the 2" Crayford focuser I put on it too. Couldn't stand getting greaseon me everytime I used it!

Disc or dot with a ring. Same difference. Cassini division? Not in the North East at 100x.

Detail on Jupiter? If two bands are what you call detail, I guess I stand underwhelmed.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: tedbnh]
      #5834847 - 05/01/13 05:23 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

You can spend $30K on a mount and another $12K on a camera and make lousy photos. Or you can get a used ST80, an $80 used CG-3 and a DSLR and do something like this:

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Geo.]
      #5834868 - 05/01/13 05:37 PM

Now that's what I want to do. Use my ST-80 and motorized CG4 to get pics like this for screensavers. What camera were you using?

jezz

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: Utah
      #5834904 - 05/01/13 05:53 PM

George - EXCELLENT

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
      #5834953 - 05/01/13 06:20 PM

@ George

Wow! stunning

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5835022 - 05/01/13 07:02 PM

wow, love it. I want to do that too...lol. just need the ST,mount and DSLR.

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: SteveG]
      #5835167 - 05/01/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

This scope from another post might be worth looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestron-PowerSeeker-80EQ-Refractor-Telescope-Packag...

That does look like a pretty nice deal, thanks for the heads up.

I use an ST80 with an EQ1 often and have no problems with it. The mount handles it fine. As for photography, I've never tried this yet, but I've seen some pretty decent results from just mounting an SLR to a motorized EQ1 for some wide field milky way shots. Seems like a cheap and easy way to get your feet wet in astrophotography to me (but again, I have no real idea what I'm talking about here! )

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2438

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics