Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Astrohat

Reged: 04/30/13

Orion 80mm ShortTube advice
      #5832577 - 04/30/13 03:21 PM

The only place where I can do sky-watching is in my backyard, which is limited by houses and trees on the south side, and houses on the sides. On the north side of the house, there are street lights that are really strong, so the visibility is poor. I can hardly see the Polar Star...

I don't own a car and my place is not an appropriate place to do astronomy, so I will have to take the bus and find a more friendly place. I don't feel either like walking 5 minutes to the bus stop, and carry around 35-pound of weight of equipment. Portability is my top criteria at this time. That's why I am going to purchase the very light 80mm shorttube (4 pounds). With the EQ1 tripod, the total weight is 16 pounds.

The model I am looking at is equipped with an EQ 1 tripod.

I have a few questions to you:

1. I read the tripod is wobbly. Do you know if it wobbles? If it does, what EQ tripod prevents the wobbling?

2. If I have to add weight to the tripod, how much would I need? I have to account for that before I head to the bus.

3. Does a cheap digital camera ($100) will give me pretty much the same quality image than a $600?

4. What adapter do I need to use a camera on it? I guess it depends on the camera that I use as well.

4. What filter should I buy right away? Moon filter?

5. Is it realistic to consider long exposure astrophotography? I'm thinking of galaxies, nebulae.

If you want to take a look at it and read the reviews, it may help you to answer my questions or bring up more points:

http://www.amazon.com/Orion-ShortTube-Equatorial-Refractor-Telescope/dp/B000O...

Thanks in advance for your answer!!!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RussL
Music Maker

Reged: 03/18/08

Loc: Cayce and Lancaster, SC
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Astrohat]
      #5832597 - 04/30/13 03:31 PM

I put mine on an Orion EQ2 tripod, and it is very stable with no more weight than the ST80 weighs. I even put my 120ST on it, and it works, though a bit wobbly. The EQ2 is much more stable than the EQ1.

StarmanDan
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/27/07

Loc: Deep in the heart of Texas
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: RussL]
      #5832730 - 04/30/13 04:40 PM

1. I read the tripod is wobbly. Do you know if it wobbles? If it does, what EQ tripod prevents the wobbling?

All tripods will wobble if the scope on it is close or exceeds the tripods weight rating. You can stiffen the tripod up some by fabricating a stronger spreader plate or hanging a weight from the hub where the tripod legs come together. But in most forms, with these lesser expensive mounts, the mount head itself will eventually become loose as it gets used. If you have the cash, go with the next size mount up from what comes stock and you should be ok.

2. If I have to add weight to the tripod, how much would I need? I have to account for that before I head to the bus.

This will likely be a trial and error process as the mount and tripod have weight limits that if exceeded can cause failure of the mount or tripod legs.

3. Does a cheap digital camera ($100) will give me pretty much the same quality image than a $600?

The mounts and scope you are considering are not very compatible with photography. I've got an ST80 and have used it as a wide field imager and the scope is plagued by false color due to its fast f ratio. You could do afocal photography by holding the camera up to the eyepiece and capture the Moon, Jupiter and Saturn, but anything else would require a better mount that has tracking capability. Then there is the learning curve of being able to polar align the mount and process the images.

4. What adapter do I need to use a camera on it? I guess it depends on the camera that I use as well.

Any SLR camera would work (cameras that have removable lenses). The adapter would depend on the camera you get as not all camera makers use the same lens mount. For instance, I have a Canon EOS camera and got mine from here. You may also need extension tubes as the focus point might be outside the travel of the focuser. These are listed farther down the page mentioned above.

4. What filter should I buy right away? Moon filter?

Probably, I find I can get better contrast with mine. Especially when the moon is close to full.

5. Is it realistic to consider long exposure astrophotography? I'm thinking of galaxies, nebulae.

Not with the mount you are considering. See #3.

I love my ST80. It's a great visual scope and provides some nice wide fields. You might want to invest in a barlow as this will help zoom in on the planets but again, the mount would be your limiting factor as to if you would be successful using it.

Astrohat

#5832908 - 04/30/13 06:07 PM

I will buy the EQ-2, then. I see it for $200 on Amazon. None is for sale on Ebay. Do you know a place where I could pay much less? Will the shorttube fit perfectly on it, or do I need an adapter? Thank you.

jezz

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: Utah
      #5832913 - 04/30/13 06:09 PM

If your not going to use the setting circles on an eq tripod I would suggest spending the money on a good heavy duty photo tripod. This would be easier to transport and set up also. With the ST80 its not a problem keeping your target in the field of veiw.
I use a photo tripod and star hop to what I want to see but mostly just cruise the milky way with mine.

Phil Sherman
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/10

Loc: Cleveland, Ohio
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: StarmanDan]
      #5832922 - 04/30/13 06:13 PM

I'd try attending a star party sponsored by a local astronomy group. Ask around and see if you can arrange to spend some time with a member who has a variety of light pollution filters that you can try with your eyepieces. You might find that there's a specific filter that will give you enough improvement that you can use the scope from home.

When I started back into this hobby shortly after 2000, I purchased a Celestron C114 reflector on an alt-az goto mount. This was a $160 (new) bargain from a local warehouse store. I discovered that the entire unit, with the exception of the tripod legs could be disassembled and packed into an airline carry-on bag. Similar scopes are still available and the beauty of the alt-az mount is that it doesn't require counterweights, which will lighten your load. Of course, you won't be doing any long exposure imaging with this type of mount. You'll be very hard pressed to find a GEM mount that's good for AP that weighs less than 40 lbs assembled.

The only mounts that are super portable and allow AP are camera only mounts (ie the Polarie and others) and the AstroTrack mount. The AstroTrack can be purchased with a pier which will hold the pier's feet and the mount inside it when disassembled for transport. It even comes with a carry bag that has a shoulder strap.

Long exposure imaging requires very very accurate polar alignment. It also usually requires periodic error correction (PEC) to account for irregularities in gear manufacturing. I don't know of any mounts in the less than $10k class that will reliably give you 2-5 minute exposures using a scope without active guiding, another load of gear for you to carry. Polar alignment accurate enough for two minute imaging with a telescope will most likely take you an hour to do, drastically reducing your imaging time if you're planning on using public transportation for the return trip home and aren't planning on staying the night. (If your buses run all night then this may not be a problem.) Local parks and school yards can offer a "darker" site but you'll need to check local restrictions on their use. My community prohibits use of the school yards and parks later than an hour or so after sunset.

Phil

Astrohat

#5832942 - 04/30/13 06:22 PM

If I pay $200 for the EQ-2, I may as well look for inexpensive telescopes that come with the EQ-2. For a few more dollars, I may get the EQ-2 with a second telescope.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #5833038 - 04/30/13 07:18 PM

Quote:

If I pay $200 for the EQ-2, I may as well look for inexpensive telescopes that come with the EQ-2. For a few more dollars, I may get the EQ-2 with a second telescope.

The problem with that reasoning is that in this price range most manufacturers tend to under-mount their telescopes. So while the EQ-2 would work just fine with the ShortTube 80, which is just about as small and light as a telescope can get, it would probably be inadequate for whatever larger scope you bought with it as a package.

I think you can manage with an EQ-1, especially if you use it in alt-az mode and don't attempt to use it as an equatorial mount. As for weights -- don't fret. Just buy a few feet of solid string and hang a sturdy bag under the tripod. Then you can fill it up with rocks, sand, or other "found objects."

A good photo tripod would be more portable but probably also cost significantly more.

Astrohat

#5833041 - 04/30/13 07:20 PM

Will a camera tripod be appropriate to view Saturn? Will I have to keep adjusting, causing a lot of vibrations?

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5833056 - 04/30/13 07:28 PM

Quote:

Does a cheap digital camera ($100) will give me pretty much the same quality image than a $600?

No, of course not. The biggest problem is that low-cost cameras are fully automatic. That severely limits what you can do with them.

If you want to take pictures using the telescope as the main lens, you need a camera with a detachable lens -- i.e. a DSLR.

Quote:

Is it realistic to consider long exposure astrophotography? I'm thinking of galaxies, nebulae.

Absolutely not. Not with that optical tube, and certainly not with that mount -- or anything else in that price and/or portability range.

Realistically, you're restricted to taking pictures of the Moon, very small pictures of the planets, and maybe a few super-bright star scenes or objects, such as the Orion Nebula.

For the Moon, which is by far the easiest subject, just about any camera will do. In fact, people take startlingly good Moon photos by holding cell phones to the eyepiece of their telescopes.

Edited by Tony Flanders (04/30/13 07:31 PM)

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/14/12

Loc: Banana Republic of California
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5833101 - 04/30/13 07:55 PM

Quote:

I think you can manage with an EQ-1, especially if you use it in alt-az mode and don't attempt to use it as an equatorial mount.

I agree with Tony about the EQ1. I have one, use it with a 90mm MAK and the ST80 and it works fine. In EQ mode, you'll get a little bit of movement when making adjustments but it settles down quickly. Some tweaking and you can improve this a bit. It works well enough as long as you don't overload it.

Another possible route. Buy the ST80 used and then pick up a Vixen Mini-Porta. $100 for the scope, $160 for the Mini-porta and you have a nice grab and go for not much money, and a good little mount to boot.

Achernar
Postmaster

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA
      #5833348 - 04/30/13 10:30 PM

This telescope is not a good one at all for astronomical photography, the focuser is too small and the chromatic abberation will be annoying around bright stars. What it is good for is low-power, wide field viewing of large objects such as the Andromeda Galaxy and Veil Nebula. At high power the chromatic abberation is very noticeable, and it cripples it when it comes to lunar and planetary observing. In reality, Short Tube 80's bridge the gap between binoculars and telescope, and that is the role it fills admirably. It can also be used as a large aperture finderscope and guide scope, and it certainly will do okay for a grab n' go telescope as long as you keep the mangification below 50 or 60X. Any more and the limitations of a classical achromat at F/5 becomes apparent. It's not a good choice for imaging galaxies and nebulae for this reason, but a small apochromatic refractor that is suited to imaging can be a very good imaging telescope. Honestly, if this is your first telescope and your budget is limited, a 6-inch Dob is a better choice, and a Short Tube 80 is a good companion telescope for it. Since you indicated you don't have a car, then I would get this telescope and use it until your living situation allows for a more general purpose telescope. You could mount it by the way on a sturdy camera tripod. Moreover, you can get a solar filter for it, and use it during the day to observe the Sun too.

Taras

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/25/12

Loc: League City, TX
      #5833397 - 04/30/13 10:52 PM

Quote:

Portability is my top criteria at this time.

Stellarvue SV50 APO (2.5 lbs)
http://www.stellarvue.com/sv50.html

Orion tabletop EQ:
http://www.amazon.com/Orion-Min-EQ-Tabletop-Equatorial-Telescope/dp/B0000XMX8O

It will work for photography and viewing as well. It even accepts a little sidereal rate motor. All you need to add is your camera. Worst case scenario for a full sky photo just put your regular digital camera on the EQ1 and omit the scope entirely. For a quick grab-and-go you can just use the SV50 with a regular camera tripod.

obin

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: obin robinson]
      #5833529 - 05/01/13 12:37 AM

How about the Orion 09798 StarBlast 4.5 Equatorial? It costs $219 and weights 21 pounds compared to $380 and 22 lbs with the Orion 80mm with the EQ-2 tripod. And the Starblast is 1.5 inches larger. A person photographed Jupiter, M42 and M45 with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Licdjw1DJyE

And Saturn:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfxXvm-wrUE

Astrohat

#5833531 - 05/01/13 12:39 AM

Just noticed the model they sell has an EQ-1, so I would need the telescope without the EQ-1, and then get the EQ-2.

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
      #5833674 - 05/01/13 05:15 AM

I think a simple tripod will work with the ST80 also. Or, for slo-mo controls, I am pretty sure that something like Orion AZ-4 would work, and you could probably achieve zenith.
http://www.telescope.com/Mounts-Tripods/Altazimuth-Mounts-Tripods/Orion-AZ-4-...

A 4 Lb scope on a 7 Lb tripod/mount? Can't beat that for portability. It is certainly not a no-compromise system, but for carrying on a bus, something like this would probably get the most use from me.

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

#5833811 - 05/01/13 08:17 AM

Quote:

Just noticed the model they sell has an EQ-1, so I would need the telescope without the EQ-1, and then get the EQ-2.

Just remember there is a tabletop version of the EQ1. I put a link to it in my first reply. As long as you have access to a table you can mount the little SV50 (or for that matter the ST80) to it. The total weight of the SV50 and the EQ1 is UNDER 10 lbs. The EQ1 is rated for a scope 3x heavier than the SV50. This whole setup would fit in a backpack and it would work for astrophotography.

obin

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5833825 - 05/01/13 08:30 AM

I have a EQ2 that I picked up on the CN classifieds for $100. I have a heavier 80ED on it that weighs 8lbs and it works fine. I use it in both the EQ mode and the AZ mode. You can leave the counter weight at home if you want to just want to use it in the AZ mode.

Bob

REC
Post Laureate

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: REC]
      #5833829 - 05/01/13 08:33 AM

Hey, just looked at the used list and there is a nice Celestron AZ tripod with slow motion controls for $75!

Check it out!

tedbnh
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 11/14/07

Loc: New Hampshire
      #5833973 - 05/01/13 10:01 AM

Someone mentioned using an ST80 to observe the Sun. If you ever attempt to use an ST80 with filter to observe the sun, there is one important caveat: THE DEW SHIELD COMES OFF THE ST80 SCOPE EASILY. DO NOT MOUNT YOUR FILTER TO THE DEW SHIELD WITHOUT SOMEHOW PERMANENTLY AFFIXING THE DEW SHIELD TO THE BODY OF THE TELESCOPE. YOU COULD BE BLINDED IF THE DEW SHIELD WITH FILTER ATTACHED TO IT FALLS OFF.

Sorry for the caps, but sometimes it's not apparent how easily the dew shield can come off this scope.

RussL
Music Maker

#5833981 - 05/01/13 10:05 AM

Quote:

I will buy the EQ-2, then. I see it for $200 on Amazon. None is for sale on Ebay. Do you know a place where I could pay much less? Will the shorttube fit perfectly on it, or do I need an adapter? Thank you.

You can bolt the rings to the EQ2. I found mine used for about half price right here in the CN classifieds. It was in new condition.

galexand
sage

Reged: 07/10/12

Loc: Bloomington Indiana
      #5833987 - 05/01/13 10:07 AM

When I was shopping around for a more portable rig (which I didn't buy, because I realized in winter, I have to go *very* far to get a decent sky), I was torn between getting an ~80mm refractor (ST80 was high on the list, due to its price and 'rich field' wide viewing potential) or something more like Orion's SkyScanner 100.

Once I started looking at the refractors, I realized I might need to spend more on the tripod than the scope...I was thinking something along the lines of Vixen's mini porta mount. Nice tripods are expensive On the other hand, tripods are not single use, you may re-use your tripod with binocs or a camera or an upgraded scope.

On the other extreme, the SkyScanner 100 is a toy. But it has a real advantage in that it comes with a table-top alt-az mount. My much larger StarBlast 6 has a similar mount, and I like it. It is stable and durable and easy to use. Of course with the SkyScanner 100, it is so small that having a table or something to set it on isn't really optional. So it is kind of a much less expensive way to be assured that you will get a mount that is up to the duty, and is definitely very portable. Downside is that it is more toy-like, and when you upgrade you will not be able to re-use any part of the SkyScanner except for any EPs you buy.

Of course, if you're set on equatorial, then disregard this message.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
      #5834054 - 05/01/13 10:40 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just remember there is a tabletop version of the EQ1. I put a link to it in my first reply. As long as you have access to a table you can mount the little SV50 (or for that matter the ST80) to it. The total weight of the SV50 and the EQ1 is UNDER 10 lbs. The EQ1 is rated for a scope 3x heavier than the SV50. This whole setup would fit in a backpack and it would work for astrophotography.

obin

Humm..

The ST-80 weighs almost exactly 3 lbs and is much more capable than a 50mm scope. If one is going to go with a 50mm scope, a pair of binoculars is probably a better choice.

In terms of portability, the mount is the important factor.

I have owned several scopes with tabletop mounts. In concept they seem nice but in practice, I have always found them awkward to use. The table has to be very solid and then it's always getting in the way of a comfortable viewing position.

I think the ST-80 on an EQ-1 used in the alt-az mode is a good solution. I had an Celestron ST-80 on an EQ-1 which I gave to a friend, it was reasonable rig.

A solid photo tripod is also viable, I use my ST-80 on a Bogen 3040. Bogen class photo tripods are nice because they are designed to setup quickly and are robust. New, they are expensive but used they can be quite cheap...

(My ST-80 on the Bogen. It has been modified with a 2 inch focuser)

Jon

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
      #5834099 - 05/01/13 11:04 AM

You'll get much less false color and abilty to use higher magnification with a 90mm Mak.

Orion sells one and of course Meade and Bushnell have their Mak and Mount.

AMeade DSX-90 (may not be availavable new?) is not that heavy and show up on ebay used for $150-$200

Or mount a 90 or 100mm Mak on a manual tripod .

But for anything more than snapshots of the Moon you need some kind of tracking.

Visual only will be less frustrating .
I have viewed Saturn as a small but sharp object in a Meade DSX-90.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: BigC]
      #5834116 - 05/01/13 11:13 AM

Quote:

You'll get much less false color and abilty to use higher magnification with a 90mm Mak.

The Mak will be better at the higher magnifications on planets and double stars.

The downside is that it has a relatively narrow field of view which makes finding objects more difficult. The ST-80 is basically a super finder, with a 32mm Plossl, it provides a 4 degree TFoV. By comparison, the 90mm Mak has a maximum possible field of view of about 1.25 degrees and finding objects is more problematic.

Jon

Widespread
professor emeritus

Reged: 05/11/11

Loc: Bowling Green, Kentucky
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: BigC]
      #5834124 - 05/01/13 11:16 AM

A Bogen tripod with a fluid head would indeed work well.

As Jon says, the mount affects portability the most, which is why I suggested the AZ-4 as the lightest mount I know of that has slo-mo controls.

But OP only mentions EQ mounts, so maybe he's not interested in altaz. Which is absolutely fine, except it belies the statement that portability is top priority (as it would be for me, were I to take a scope on a bus).

Kevdog
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Widespread]
      #5834160 - 05/01/13 11:35 AM

Why not either an ETX80 or ETX90?

http://store.meade.com/telescopes/etx/etx-80at-tc-bb-achromatic-refractor-wit...

http://store.meade.com/telescopes/etx/etx-90-maksutov-cassegrain-portable-obs...

They come up used around here all the time for a lot less money and they're called "backpack" scopes for a reason. The 2 above come with a purpose built backpack to carry it in.

RussL
Music Maker

#5834165 - 05/01/13 11:37 AM

Just for clarification, what I call my "ST80" is in fact a Celestron Wide View 80, but it is EXACTLY the same scope with different paint and stickers, and made by Synta just like Orion's ST80.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: RussL]
      #5834216 - 05/01/13 12:06 PM

ST80 on a Porta II - Starguy has another demo unit on sale.

http://www.mrstarguy.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idproduct=434

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #5834320 - 05/01/13 12:48 PM

Quote:

Will a camera tripod be appropriate to view Saturn? Will I have to keep adjusting, causing a lot of vibrations?

The ST80 is a poor planetary scope. It just isn't capable of decent enough magnification.

At its best, Saturn will be a small bright dot with a ring. Jupiter is a slightly bigger bright dot with a couple dark bands, if you are lucky.

It's an OK wide field refractor, that gives false color on bright objects. No more, no less.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
      #5834370 - 05/01/13 01:13 PM

Quote:

The model I am looking at is equipped with an EQ 1 tripod.

I have a few questions to you:

1. I read the tripod is wobbly. Do you know if it wobbles? If it does, what EQ tripod prevents the wobbling? You can make changes or modifications to "tighten up" a small, weak tripod. I did it with my first 60mm EQ-1 scope. The best mod is to replace the legs with something heavier, or perhaps a fixed non-adjustable leg. The EQ-1's that I have used would be fine for visual viewing with a Short Tube 80.

2. If I have to add weight to the tripod, how much would I need? I have to account for that before I head to the bus. I would try to tighten the tripod first by using screws, grommets, wedges, etc to tweak out all the loose connections & pivot points. It just takes a little tweaking.

3. Does a cheap digital camera ($100) will give me pretty much the same quality image than a $600? Forget imaging with this setup. Just enjoy it visually.

4. What filter should I buy right away? Moon filter? When you can afford it, this is the only filter I would recommend:http://www.adorama.com/AA2458370.html?gclid=CO-P-Nyx9bYCFeU5QgodI2MAsg

5. Is it realistic to consider long exposure astrophotography? I'm thinking of galaxies, nebulae. No

I have a little experience with a Short Tube 90, and can say that it was a very nice, lightweight achromat that provided excellent wide-field views. It fell a little short on planets, but we didn't have a Fringe Killer type filter.

SteveG
Post Laureate

Reged: 09/27/06

Loc: Seattle, WA
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: SteveG]
      #5834399 - 05/01/13 01:23 PM

This scope from another post might be worth looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestron-PowerSeeker-80EQ-Refractor-Telescope-Packag...

It has the same EQ-1 mount, but includes a small drive motor. You would need to beef-up the legs on this, and the supplied eyepieces are of poor quality, but the scope is probably better optically.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: BSJ]
      #5834546 - 05/01/13 02:34 PM

Quote:

The ST80 is a poor planetary scope. It just isn't capable of decent enough magnification.

At its best, Saturn will be a small bright dot with a ring. Jupiter is a slightly bigger bright dot with a couple dark bands, if you are lucky.

Hey, the ST80 is far from optimal as a planetary scope, but it's nowhere near as bad as you're implying. At 100X, Saturn will be a lovely disk with crisp rings, and you have a good shot at seeing the Cassini Division if you work at it.

Jupiter's two main bands are blindingly obvious, and you should be able to see considerable additional detail.

If your ST80 isn't doing this, something is wrong. Either it has defective optics or (more likely) you're using a defective star diagonal.

BSJ
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Grand Isle, VT
      #5834661 - 05/01/13 03:29 PM

No there's nothing wrong with my 2" diagonal, or the 2" Crayford focuser I put on it too. Couldn't stand getting greaseon me everytime I used it!

Disc or dot with a ring. Same difference. Cassini division? Not in the North East at 100x.

Detail on Jupiter? If two bands are what you call detail, I guess I stand underwhelmed.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/01/08

Loc: Upstate NY
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: tedbnh]
      #5834847 - 05/01/13 05:23 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

You can spend $30K on a mount and another $12K on a camera and make lousy photos. Or you can get a used ST80, an $80 used CG-3 and a DSLR and do something like this:

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Geo.]
      #5834868 - 05/01/13 05:37 PM

Now that's what I want to do. Use my ST-80 and motorized CG4 to get pics like this for screensavers. What camera were you using?

jezz

Reged: 02/25/12

Loc: Utah
      #5834904 - 05/01/13 05:53 PM

George - EXCELLENT

Gert K A
sage

Reged: 07/16/12

Loc: Copenhagen, Denmark
      #5834953 - 05/01/13 06:20 PM

@ George

Wow! stunning

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/15/12

Loc: SE Ma.
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5835022 - 05/01/13 07:02 PM

wow, love it. I want to do that too...lol. just need the ST,mount and DSLR.

stevenf
sage

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Vancouver, BC
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: SteveG]
      #5835167 - 05/01/13 08:31 PM

Quote:

This scope from another post might be worth looking at:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Celestron-PowerSeeker-80EQ-Refractor-Telescope-Packag...

That does look like a pretty nice deal, thanks for the heads up.

I use an ST80 with an EQ1 often and have no problems with it. The mount handles it fine. As for photography, I've never tried this yet, but I've seen some pretty decent results from just mounting an SLR to a motorized EQ1 for some wide field milky way shots. Seems like a cheap and easy way to get your feet wet in astrophotography to me (but again, I have no real idea what I'm talking about here! )

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice *DELETED* new [Re: stevenf]
      #5835583 - 05/02/13 02:04 AM

Post deleted by Astrohat

Astrohat

#5835642 - 05/02/13 03:56 AM

Actually, there are a few interesting post I had not seen before. So I hold off my decision.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5835697 - 05/02/13 06:50 AM

What camera did you use to get such great photos?

Astrohat

#5836203 - 05/02/13 12:36 PM

Quote:

A Bogen tripod with a fluid head would indeed work well.

As Jon says, the mount affects portability the most, which is why I suggested the AZ-4 as the lightest mount I know of that has slo-mo controls.

But OP only mentions EQ mounts, so maybe he's not interested in altaz. Which is absolutely fine, except it belies the statement that portability is top priority (as it would be for me, were I to take a scope on a bus).

Widespread, I decided to put your claim to test. I put 16 pounds of object (the scope and the EQ1 in a gym bag, and walked around with it in the street. Much heavier than I thought! In fact, not realistic. Add to this the weight of my laptop, webcam, camera and other astronomy accessories. I have to rethink the project. I think I have to determine how many pounds I can reasonably carry around. It will be key in choosing the tripod.

Astrohat

#5836212 - 05/02/13 12:40 PM

I am going to a specialized astronomy store here in Toronto tomorrow to look at different tripods, and ask advice. I will tell the employee the portability limitations I'm facing.

Kfrank
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/08

Loc: Northern Colorado
      #5836271 - 05/02/13 01:12 PM

If 16 lbs is too heavy for you to haul around, you'll need to rethink your entire premise. There's really no way you'll be able to transport a scope, mount,tripod AND laptop, camera and other stuff and get anywhere close to that limit.

For instance, an Orion ST80 weighs in at about 4 lbs. Add a decent eyepiece and a star diagonal and you'll be up to about 5 lbs. A Universal Astronomics DwarfStar mount will add another 2 lbs and you're left with choosing a tripod. If you want to go ultralight with a full sized tripod, it can be done, but you'll sacrifice stability. A tabletop tripod is possible but then you'll need a stable surface to put it on at your destination.

In Short, if you want to keep the weight below say, 15 lbs, you'll be looking at a lightweight tripod that may end up being flimsy, and a smallish scope and mount with very little, if anything, in the way of accessories. Forget taking pictures.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: James Cunningham]
      #5836279 - 05/02/13 01:13 PM

Quote:

What camera did you use to get such great photos?

Canon 550d, on a "*BLEEP*" Meade DS2000 Alt/Az, 12 to 15 subs at ISO 1600, exposed fot 15 or 20 seconds, stacked in Deep Sky Stacker.

Astrohat

#5836308 - 05/02/13 01:26 PM

Ken, this project is pretty much killed. what I'll do this week is look for a place where proper for astronomy and that a table. This way, I can do away with the tripod altogether.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5836321 - 05/02/13 01:30 PM

Quote:

I put 16 pounds of object (the scope and the EQ1 in a gym bag, and walked around with it in the street. Much heavier than I thought! In fact, not realistic.

Possibly not -- nor would you be happy trying to balance all this on your nose.

You're using the wrong container! Carrying 16 pounds in a good daypack with a hipbelt is a piece of cake. In fact, I routinely hike 20 miles a day over exceedingly steep, rough trails with twice that much weight.

Astrohat

#5836714 - 05/02/13 04:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I put 16 pounds of object (the scope and the EQ1 in a gym bag, and walked around with it in the street. Much heavier than I thought! In fact, not realistic.

Possibly not -- nor would you be happy trying to balance all this on your nose.

You're using the wrong container! Carrying 16 pounds in a good daypack with a hipbelt is a piece of cake. In fact, I routinely hike 20 miles a day over exceedingly steep, rough trails with twice that much weight.

Good point!

I am going to a friend on Monday, if the sky is clear. I will try her Meade 70mm refractor which sits on an alt-az tripod. That will give me a chance to get a good feeling of that kind of tripod.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5837028 - 05/02/13 07:05 PM

Give the 70mm and alt/az a try like you said. Check here Orion alt/az for Alt/az mounts for under $200. The AZ-4 Micro Motion looks good and goes for 150. I think something like this is the way to go. Any EQ mount will be more in weight due to the mount and counter weight. The ST80 is light and small, and so is the AZ-4. It won't take much room in the car when you go camping and will set up quick. For at home a nice Don (6 or8") will be good.

wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5837199 - 05/02/13 08:42 PM

How about this one with free shipping and a ra motor included.
http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-powerseeker-80eq-telescope-package-2104...
Not quite a short tube but will have less color...and cheap, with warranty. wc

Edited by wcstarguy (05/02/13 08:43 PM)

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5837234 - 05/02/13 09:06 PM

Quote:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/celestron-powerseeker-80eq-telescope-package-2104...

A few thoughts:

- An 80mm F/11.3 like the Powerseeker 80 will be perform better at high magnifications and have less false color, it will also have a much narrower maximum possible field of view, the ST-80 is capable of a 4 degree TFoV, nearly that of a typical binocular, the PowerSeeker 80 is capable of a 1.7 degree TFoV.

- The EQ-2 mount looks more like the CG-2 mount which is actually the EQ-1 mount. In any event it is undersized for a scope that is nearly 3 feet long.

- The Powerseekers ship normally with an undersized correct image diagonal and two element Huygen's eyepieces with a 30 degree AFoV. The widest field of view will be with the H-20 and about 2/3 of a degree, somewhat bigger than the moon. That will make finding objects difficult.

Like many entry level refractors, the telescope itself is quite decent, the mount and eyepieces are seriously compromised.

Jon

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: wcstarguy]
      #5837262 - 05/02/13 09:15 PM

Quote:

Now that I will probably use a much lighter weight, this model is back on the list. It all boils down to the total weight.

What do you mean by less color?

wcstarguy

Reged: 12/04/08

#5837296 - 05/02/13 09:28 PM

I just went through the thread again and noticed this scope was already suggested. Someone with more expertise will explain false color better than I, but basically the longer focal length scope tends to focus the primary colors (red, green, blue)more accurately, thus you see less chromatic aberration, or false color on bright objects, like the moon, planets or bright stars. This color shows itself usually as a violet or purple ring around the object. This color bothers some folks but others can manage to ignore it altogether. Jon is right about this scope being under mounted on the eq1 mount...but I'm still thinking of getting one of these, more to use the scope on another (alt-az) mount I have while using the eq1 mount for a camera platform or with my c90 mak...wc

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5837317 - 05/02/13 09:47 PM

Quote:

Now that I will probably use a much lighter weight, this model is back on the list. It all boils down to the total weight.

What do you mean by less color?

I am not sure what you mean by a much lighter weight... "tripod." Is that what you meant? This scope will be about 36 inches long and requires a real mount, it cannot be used with a table top tripod..

Color: Both these scopes are "achromatic" refractors. An achromat uses two pieces of glass that are matched in order to address the problem of "chromatic aberration", sometimes called false color or color fringing. False color shows itself as a purple haze around a bright object, a star or planet and it affects the clarity of the view.

A shorter focal length increases the amount of false color, viewing Jupiter with the ST-80, the purple haze will be a problem. With the Powerseeker 80 with it's F/11 focal ratio, it will be visible but much reduced.

Refractors which are free of chromatic aberration use exotic synthetic fluorite glass and are quite expensive.. The Orion ED-80 has been around now for about 10 years, when it hit the market at $500, no one could quite believe it was for real. It uses the best synthetic fluorite, FPL-53...

Jon

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5837608 - 05/03/13 02:57 AM

Good news! I've found a nice place for astronomy. I took my bike tonight and headed North after I realized that starting just across the street, it is a much less populated area, so in theory, a less light polluted area. I was right. Just 10 minutes from where I live, there is a City park where there is no light at all. I could hardly the ground in front of me when I was walking, so I had to be careful. There are some street lights in the street after you pass the park, but it is not that bad.

So that would be my sky watching spot, unless the cops come over and tell me that I cannot stay there at night. I think I will call the City just to verify. With that newly found location, portability is no longer a problem in choosing a telescope and tripod. I have a bicycle rack to put my equipment on. Depending on the City park policies, I am ready to upgrade to a 90mm or 102mm model. Even if they say it is forbidden, there was never anybody walking in the park. I will try to stay as invisible as possible.

Edited by Astrohat (05/03/13 02:58 AM)

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5837703 - 05/03/13 06:59 AM

Quote:

Good news! I've found a nice place for astronomy. I took my bike tonight and headed North after I realized that starting just across the street, it is a much less populated area, so in theory, a less light polluted area. I was right. Just 10 minutes from where I live, there is a City park where there is no light at all. I could hardly the ground in front of me when I was walking, so I had to be careful. There are some street lights in the street after you pass the park, but it is not that bad.

So that would be my sky watching spot, unless the cops come over and tell me that I cannot stay there at night. I think I will call the City just to verify. With that newly found location, portability is no longer a problem in choosing a telescope and tripod. I have a bicycle rack to put my equipment on. Depending on the City park policies, I am ready to upgrade to a 90mm or 102mm model. Even if they say it is forbidden, there was never anybody walking in the park. I will try to stay as invisible as possible.

Sounds good. I often bicycle to my local park with my 70-mm refractor and a photo tripod, and occasionally bicycle with my 100-mm f/6 refractor. Note, however, that it's one of the lightest 100-mm refractors around, and even so it's distinctly undermounted on my 3021 Bogen tripod. The optical tube goes in my backpack (to save it from jostling), and the tripod goes on my luggage carrier.

One of the keys to lightweight astronomy is to observe from a sitting position. That way, you can use a smaller tripod, and regardless of the tripod it will be much stabler.

If you're comfortable sitting on the ground, that's great. Otherwise, the bulk and weight of a 3-legged aluminum camping stool or a folding "hunter's seat" is very small, and is amply recouped by the saving in the weight of the tripod.

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5837797 - 05/03/13 08:32 AM

They do make carts for bikes. Similar to the ones that bikers use to tow their babies in, and scopes are our "babies", right??

Astrohat

#5838509 - 05/03/13 02:37 PM

There is a bench in the park, so I won't even need to bring a chair. I can put my laptop on it as well.

Astrohat

#5838515 - 05/03/13 02:40 PM

I am creating a new thread because the Orion 80mm is no longer a candidate. Let's upgrade to a 90mm or 102mm!!

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Reged: 06/25/10

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5839093 - 05/03/13 09:26 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

You just need reliable tracking and excellent polar alignment (which is a pickle in your situation), the ST80 is a FANTASTIC scope for 100 bucks. You have to learn to deal with the purple fringing though...

Canon XS on St80 58 exposures at 1 minute, piggybacked on Meade LX 3, old heavy fork mount with Right Ascension drive, very well polar aligned.

Gert K A
sage

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: shawnhar]
      #5839101 - 05/03/13 09:31 PM

Shawn that is painfully beautiful

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Gert K A]
      #5839114 - 05/03/13 09:39 PM

Quote:

Shawn that is painfully beautiful

Indeed! +!

Just goes to show that with many things it's not so much the equipment, it's the driver.

A favorite saying of a motorcycle track day organizer I know is, "Don't get frustrated when a guy on a slower bike passes you."

shawnhar
Post Laureate

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: Paco_Grande]
      #5839149 - 05/03/13 09:56 PM Attachment (14 downloads)

Thanks, but it's also a LOT of work, that's like 16 hours of processing with help from guys in the imaging forum.
With a scope like the ST80, for imaging, you have to work a lot harder to get results that are not as good as those high dollar apos, but it sure can be fun! I just want to make sure it's understood you can go a long way with a lowly st80 if you are willing to put the effort into it.
Planets will never be good, but large deep space object? You bet!

Astrohat

#5839372 - 05/04/13 12:07 AM

Just fantastic! Do you have a photo of the same area, but taken with your Meade?

Astrohat

#5839377 - 05/04/13 12:08 AM

So the mount is the #1 factor for beautiful deep-sky pictures.

Astrohat

#5839393 - 05/04/13 12:20 AM

In case anyone is interested after viewing those beautiful photos... I tried to order the Celestron Astromaster 90 AZ on Amazon, and this is what I get. I am in Canada.

About Shipping Restrictions

Buyers outside the U.S. cannot purchase the following types of items from sellers: video games, toy and baby items, electronics, cameras and photo items, tools and hardware, kitchenware and housewares, sporting goods and outdoor equipment, software, and computers.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5839896 - 05/04/13 11:01 AM

wow what fantastic images. I am always in awe of you guys in the AP forum and those awesome images you take.

That sucks with the restrictions to Canada. I have had a thing for the ST80 for about six months now...lol, maybe one day I will get one just for the wide fov with those ST80's and also that they are small/short and won't have to go down on my knees when viewing at times.

shawnhar
Post Laureate

#5839930 - 05/04/13 11:26 AM

Quote:

Yes yes and yes!
You have to have tracking, reliable tracking and really good polar alignment, one little mistake and the exposure is ruined. Just getting polar aligned good enough for a 30 second shot would take me an hour. I did a lot of 30 second exposures in the beginning and could only keep half of them due to streaky stars.
I think in your situation I would try for a mount with a motor, and use just the camera and lens, at 200mm or less the polar alignment and tracking is much easier, the errors don't show as much. At 50mm, you can expose for 30 seconds on a rock with only a little streaking.
You should look up "barn door tracker", you can make it yourself and use your camera and lenses, would fit in a backpack, and uses a 9v battery, (or even cranks by hand!) if you have access to some tools.
That sucks that Canada is cut off from trade like that... I would keep an eye in the classifieds here and see what the shipping would be from an individual.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5839940 - 05/04/13 11:36 AM

Quote:

No. The mount is #2.

#1 is the person behind the lens.

REC
Post Laureate

#5839947 - 05/04/13 11:38 AM

That's amazing fro a $100 scope! Great picture:)

Bob

obin robinson
Carpal Tunnel

#5840061 - 05/04/13 12:37 PM

Quote:

Pretty much. Other than the seeing conditions and proper set up. You will get better results with a $100 scope on a $1,500 mount than a $1,500 scope on a $100 mount.

obin

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5840208 - 05/04/13 02:31 PM

Quote:

You just need reliable tracking and excellent polar alignment (which is a pickle in your situation), the ST80 is a FANTASTIC scope for 100 bucks. You have to learn to deal with the purple fringing though...

I am assuming you used image processing to deal with the purple fringing? Do you have examples of the raw images?

Those are very nice photos.

Jon

shawnhar
Post Laureate

#5840449 - 05/04/13 05:08 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Thanks Jon, I use StarTools software, it has a function called "finge killer" you can zoom in on a star and click the individual purple pixels and presto! the purple goes away.
Here is an "almost" raw, this is the output file of 163 exposusures stacked in Deep Sky Stacker, stretched a little bit to brighten, nothing done to the stars.

Geo.
Carpal Tunnel

#5840491 - 05/04/13 05:37 PM

Quote:

In case anyone is interested after viewing those beautiful photos... I tried to order the Celestron Astromaster 90 AZ on Amazon, and this is what I get. I am in Canada.

About Shipping Restrictions

Buyers outside the U.S. cannot purchase the following types of items from sellers: video games, toy and baby items, electronics, cameras and photo items, tools and hardware, kitchenware and housewares, sporting goods and outdoor equipment, software, and computers.

Some of this is due to exclusive distributorships, hassles over warranty claims, dealing with customs brokers and the VAT, etc. If you wish to invade the US, I for one wouldn't object. Well, from the number of Canadian owned boats I see on Lake Champlain, you already have.

Otherwise, buying used from the lower 48 is an option. Although, the postage has gone waaay up in the last couple of months. I used to be able to send a couple of pounds for a few bucks. Now pretty much anything is $10. I had to quote $150 to ship a ASCG-5 a couple hundred miles to Ottawa by post when I can ship the item to the border and have it held for pick up for $35.

Edited by Geo. (05/04/13 05:44 PM)

Astrohat

#5840863 - 05/04/13 10:32 PM

I have finally located the place where knowledgeable, hopefully helpful as well, are meeting up in Toronto. They should expect me soon. I will talk to them before buying any telescope accessories.

James Cunningham
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/07/10

Loc: Maryland
      #5840876 - 05/04/13 10:47 PM

Where can I find this StarTools software? I only found some software for backing up or portioning your computer

Astrohat

#5840901 - 05/04/13 11:12 PM

I am ready to have my mind blown away with a 74-inch telescope in Richmond Hill, close to Toronto.

http://www.theddo.ca/ScheduleTickets/WhatsHappening/tabid/56/Default.aspx

"The David Dunlap Observatory is Canada's largest optical telescope with a primary mirror measuring more than 1.88 metres (74 inches) in diameter."

"You'll be able to look through the 74” telescope and check out the view through smaller amateur telescopes out on the lawn"

shawnhar
Post Laureate

#5841413 - 05/05/13 10:33 AM

Quote:

Where can I find this StarTools software? I only found some software for backing up or portioning your computer

http://startools.org/drupal/
You can download and use all of the features without purchase, you just can't save the resulting file.

Astrohat, that is one HUGE telescope!

Astrohat

#5842053 - 05/05/13 05:15 PM

I just placed my order for the Celestron Astromaster 90AZ from a local store. They will order it from Celestron, something I am not allowed to do. $290 including taxes. I should receive within 2 weeks. I am visiting a friend on Mondya to try her Meade AZ70mm. It will give me a good hand-on. Hopefully, I can borrow it off her until I get my telescope. My friend never used her telescope. It is probably in the original box, untouched.

newtoskies
Pooh-Bah

#5842263 - 05/05/13 07:05 PM

The Orin 90mm was my choice before getting the XLT102. Still looking at the ST80 for wide views of clusters, especially come winter.

Astrohat

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: newtoskies]
      #5844911 - 05/07/13 05:00 AM

While I'm waiting for my telescope to arrive, I'm learning the names of the most visible stars and the constellation they're part of. I have just learnt to locate Polaris, which is useful when I look for an sky object that is, for example at 150 Azimuth.

At this time, only Saturn and Neptune are visible... The Moon is absent. Must be a sad time for those who mostly do lunar and planet observation.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

#5844928 - 05/07/13 05:37 AM

Quote:

While I'm waiting for my telescope to arrive, I'm learning the names of the most visible stars and the constellation they're part of. I have just learnt to locate Polaris, which is useful when I look for an sky object that is, for example at 150 Azimuth.

At this time, only Saturn and Neptune are visible... The Moon is absent. Must be a sad time for those who mostly do lunar and planet observation.

Learning the sky is a good thing to do while waiting for your scope...

I believe most amateur astronomers are generalists, omnivores, they observe whatever is available. In general, the moon messes with observing the deep sky so the most active period for most amateurs is around the new moon when the skies are dark for nearly the entire night.

Jon

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5844930 - 05/07/13 05:38 AM

Quote:

At this time, only Saturn and Neptune are visible...

Jupiter's still well above the horizon at sunset. And it's bright enough so that it shows good detail in bright twilight.

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5845410 - 05/07/13 12:10 PM

Long thread about a short tube.

Gert K A
sage

#5845432 - 05/07/13 12:24 PM

A short pun about a long thread

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5848549 - 05/08/13 07:39 PM

Here's a great video on modding the ST80 (how it comes apart/goes back together and suggestions on flocking/matte painting the tube and adjusting the focuser....and, believe it or not, how to collimate it with a laser and with a Cheshire!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ylb7xnc_03U&feature=fvwp&NR=1

Paco_Grande
Carpal Tunnel

#5848789 - 05/08/13 09:30 PM

Good find with the videos. Love the tats!

kraberus

Reged: 04/27/13

Loc: Spokane, WA
      #5849108 - 05/08/13 11:48 PM

Incidently, my newly arrived ST80A came with the dew shield interior already painted a nice matte black. I guess someone at Orion has been paying attention?

Been loving it so far.

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Re: Orion 80mm ShortTube advice new [Re: kraberus]
      #5849434 - 05/09/13 08:22 AM

Quote:

Incidently, my newly arrived ST80A came with the dew shield interior already painted a nice matte black. I guess someone at Orion has been paying attention?

Been loving it so far.

My ST-80 is an older one but it's dew shield was painted a nice flat black.

Jon

csrlice12
Postmaster

#5849439 - 05/09/13 08:24 AM

I think the video was more pressing flocking or painting the OTA tube and the inside of the focuser tube. Although flocking/painting the dew shield wouldn't hurt either.

REC
Post Laureate

#5849602 - 05/09/13 09:31 AM

Nice video and they have others that are helpful as well.

Thanks for posting!

Bob

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2441

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics