Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: First try new [Re: kfiscus]
      #5990303 - 07/25/13 09:10 PM

Quote:

Additional suggestion: if the problem is a misalignment of the finder to the main scope, gang up on the problem. Have your wife keep Saturn in the center after you've gotten it there. She will be the tracking mechanism. Obviously, this will take a bit of practice. Just have her keep Saturn in the center of the low-power field for a few minutes. Center it again and have her keep it there while you adjust the red-dot finder to perfection. She has to override any bumps you impart to the scope. After this has been done, switch to the 6mm and repeat. You will have it.

hey there you go, little team work.
Have you also thought of picking up a Telrad maybe? I like using that on my Dob. Also good luck to night, wish it was clear here maybe it will clear out by tonight.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frost55

Reged: 07/22/13

#5990697 - 07/26/13 03:09 AM

Well I did what you guys suggested and it worked great, changed ep a lot faster and let Saturn drift right into view. I did what kfiscus said while I had Saturn in the middle my son adjusted the red dot and now it's dead on. Thanks all

AstroTatDad
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/13

Loc: Los Angeles - San Diego
Re: First try new [Re: Frost55]
      #5990701 - 07/26/13 03:17 AM

Quote:

Well I did what you guys suggested and it worked great, changed ep a lot faster and let Saturn drift right into view. I did what kfiscus said while I had Saturn in the middle my son adjusted the red dot and now it's dead on. Thanks all

Awesome! Did you have time to view anything else this evening?

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5991075 - 07/26/13 11:09 AM

I'd get a RACI or even a straightthru optical finderscope (like the 9X50, or even a 6X50 on a smaller scope)and then align the finder on a fixed object. I find using the red lights on top of radio towers work very well for aligning the finderscope. But any object about a mile away should work.....

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: First try new [Re: AstroTatDad]
      #5991080 - 07/26/13 11:14 AM

Excellent! The skies are full of stuff that will blow you away with your 8". I'd recommend M-13 (Great Globular Cluster in Hercules) and M-27 (famous Dumbell Nebula in Vulpecula- below head of Cygnus the swan). Use your 25mm to find them, then switch to the 6mm. Every star map or software will show these objects and 1000's more your scope can show you.

csrlice12
Postmaster

Reged: 05/22/12

Loc: Denver, CO
      #5991086 - 07/26/13 11:18 AM

M8 (Lagoon Nebula) is also very pretty, one of the skies brightest and best but you will need dark skies to see it well, with an OIII filter....WOW.

Frost55

Re: First try new [Re: csrlice12]
      #5991857 - 07/26/13 07:17 PM

AstroTatDad ,,No I didn't have much time as I work midnights,,only got from 9:30 to 10 during the week,,lol Wheres a good place to order a Zhumell or GSo 2" 2x barlow and ES 100deg 9mm in Canada?

astrophile
sage

Reged: 06/30/13

Loc: Chaise-lounge, 18x50s in hand
Re: First try new [Re: Frost55]
      #5991902 - 07/26/13 08:04 PM

Frost,
1) I'm not Canadian, sorry. But...
2) There are a couple of significant astro brands/manufacturers in Canada I know of--Antares and Kendrick Instruments--but I've not heard of any major Canadian astronomy mail/internet-order places. A couple suggestions:
- Search on 'canada' in this or other CN forums to find some of the Canadian CN'ers, and send a PM to one or more asking where/how they order their stuff.
- Antares has a list of retailers on its website, you might find someone near you there. Or, RASC (Royal Astronomy Society of Canada) has a web page listing Canadian astro stores.
- As for US order sites there are numerous. I have personally dealt successfully with Agena Astro in California, and I know they carry GSO and ES stuff. Hands On Optics on the other coast carries ES and some other peoples' barlows, I know from experience they're very good also.

Good luck and welcome to the boards!

Edited by astrophile (07/26/13 08:14 PM)

Billytk
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/22/12

Loc: Lake Mary, Fl.
Re: First try new [Re: astrophile]
      #5992549 - 07/27/13 07:54 AM

So, how did Saturn look through the 6mm eyepiece???

Frost55

Re: First try new [Re: Billytk]
      #5993117 - 07/27/13 02:24 PM

It looked really good and clear. You could could see good space between the rings.I could see 2 moons,and there was no colour.I got pretty good at getting it with the red dot.But the rest of the sky all I see is stars.Maybe it has to get darker as I have to leave at 10 and it just starts to get dark at 9:30 and of course the night I have off it's 90% cloudy

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 820

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics