Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
choran
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/28/12

Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: macpurity]
      #6097486 - 09/23/13 09:47 PM

Ditto H.A. Rey's "The Stars". Still have it--wasn't that long ago that I bought it! I'm old, but new.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Lancem

Reged: 03/17/11

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: jgraham]
      #6097499 - 09/23/13 09:53 PM

I received my first copy of Nightwatch in 1986. I had Terry sign it at a star party a few years ago. I later purchased the Fourth Edition (2006). I still love the twenty sky charts in Nightwatch.

Gil V
professor emeritus

Reged: 09/09/12

Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: Lancem]
      #6097608 - 09/23/13 10:53 PM

The Sky Observer's Guide - 1971 printing. Yes, I still have it.

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
      #6097645 - 09/23/13 11:14 PM

It isn't really a book, but I still have the "Star Explorer" planisphere I got at the museum in Lincoln Nebraska in 1957. Also, in 1956, LIFE Magazine came out with a book called "The World We Live In." I got the young reader's edition for my birthday and loved it. Still have it. It isn't an astronomy book either, but it has a section on the universe with wonderful illustrations, many by Chesley Bonestell.
Later, in the late 60's when I finally successfully learned the constellations, (with help from my 1957 planisphere,) I picked up the Menzel edition of Peterson's Field Guide. I spent hours and hours looking at those photographic charts in the daytime. I still pull out that book now and then because it has one of the clearest, simplest, sets of moon maps I've ever run across.
Marty

SpaceConqueror3

Reged: 09/19/13

Loc: Phinney Ridge, Seattle, WA
      #6097695 - 09/23/13 11:50 PM

Quote:

Oh yes, one of my prized possessions. Patrick Moore's "The Picture History of Astronomy," 1961.

Me too! But I received the 1973 Second Impressions Edition for Christmas along with an Edmund Scientific 3" Space Conqueror Reflector which I unfortunately no longer have.

Sonomajfk

Reged: 06/30/12

Loc: northern CA, USA
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: SpaceConqueror3]
      #6097703 - 09/23/13 11:55 PM

Norton's Star Atlas was my first "real" astronomy book, and my only set of charts for many years. I have a lot of pencilled notes on comet locations, etc. in its pages. I get it out to look at every now and then. On the other hand, I still read Burnham's regularly; it's still the best, not technically but in its spirit, its poetry, and the way it transmits the author's love of the stars.

esd726
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 09/30/04

Loc: Rochester, IN
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: Sonomajfk]
      #6097741 - 09/24/13 12:30 AM

Not sure if it was the actual FIRST one but both of these were the first with my own money.
"The Light Hearted Astronomer" and Burnhams. Still have both (all 4).

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: mayidunk]
      #6097756 - 09/24/13 12:51 AM

Bob, me too!

I still have my original copy! I bought it as a third grader in one of my elementary school's book fairs. I read and reread and reread it, until, I guess I was starting my teen years.

Some years ago, I let my son take it to school, telling him it was a prized possession of mine and he forgot all about it. So, when I saw a copy on the classroom rack one night during a parent-teacher night, I felt kind of bad, thinking that he left it in school and the teacher unwittingly took it into the class' book collection. I wasn't going to ask for it!

Then, some more years later, it turned up in his room among the rest of his mess! I was delighted when I saw it. The teacher must have had his own copy!

Get a load of the price on the upper right hand corner of the cover- 50¢. Oh, yesteryear!

Quote:

Back when I was about 8 or 9 years old, I had a book entitled, "The Golden Picture Book of Our Sun, and the Worlds Around It," published in the late '50s. It was through reading this book that I learned about telescopes, how the seasons worked, the phases of the Moon, how the Moon and Sun affected the tides, the difference between meteors, meteorites, and asteroids, the names of the planets. It even showed me what a Blink Microscope was, and how it was used by Clyde Tombaugh at the Lowell Observatory to finally detect Pluto. It even explained about the perturbations of Neptune's orbit, and how their observance led him, and others, to start looking for a planet further out! Just about everything about astronomy, and space flight, was covered in that skinny, little book! Unfortunately, it got lost in the ensuing years, but I always kept a fond remembrance of that book.

Fast forward close to 40 years. I was sitting in my Dentist's waiting room, looking through a pile of books that my Dentist had set out for the kids, when I suddenly discovered a copy of that very book sitting in the pile! I asked her if I could have it, and that I would gladly pay her for it. She said that, if I replaced it with another children's book, that I could have it!

And so here it sits on the table, next to my chair. After all of these years, to be able to browse through those pages once again is just amazing! After I post this message, it'll go right back on the shelf in the bookcase, where it will always have a home!

Simply amazing!

hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

#6098225 - 09/24/13 10:59 AM

Quote:

Oh yes, one of my prized possessions. Patrick Moore's "The Picture History of Astronomy," 1961.

I had a 1970s edition of that book for years.

BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: DNTash]
      #6098400 - 09/24/13 12:42 PM

Little Golden Guides "Stars" from the 1970s;it was the only star book at the local "drugstore/newstand/camera shop/moped dealer/chainsaw dealer/CB radio,scanners, and computer store".You get the idea the owner,Mr. Ullrich, tried to meet a lot of smalltown needs?Also got my first binoculars there,a pair of 10x50s which fell apart within a day or to and Mr. Ullrich simply took them back and handed me a 20x50 Selsi which I still have and use 37 years later.Still have the Golden Guide book too.I think they were wonderful little books to get one started ,and there were guides about many other topics. Also bought the Golden Guide to Weather ;real useful in determining which kind of cloud is preventing stargazing.

E_Look
Post Laureate

Reged: 03/06/08

Loc: near New York
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: BigC]
      #6099039 - 09/24/13 06:12 PM

BigC, I've got that one too! It has those star charts in them right? As a little kid, I found that one over my head, but "Our Sun and the World Around It" was more to my level. I devoured "Stars" too, but it just didn't digest as well. Oh, how I loved those books. Oh, and Mr. Ullrich was apparently a fine guy!

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: DNTash]
      #6099098 - 09/24/13 06:40 PM

I don't have a book, but I still have my rotating planisphere from 1978!

Oddly enough, the stars haven't changed since then, so it's still useful!

kfiscus
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/09/12

Loc: Albert Lea, MN, USA
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: Kevdog]
      #6099245 - 09/24/13 08:02 PM

I gave my first book (Peterson's Field Guide) away to a newbie many years ago. I hope it has continued to help curious beginners.

pugliano

Reged: 06/16/11

Loc: Michigan
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: kfiscus]
      #6099259 - 09/24/13 08:11 PM

Yep, The Light Hearted Astronomer. Still have it and love it.

kevint1
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/19/11

Loc: West Michigan
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: pugliano]
      #6099399 - 09/24/13 09:51 PM

Yes, I still have it. It's called "A Primer For Stargazers", by Henry Neely. My Dad gave it to me for Christmas when I was 12 or 13. I learned the constellations with it pretty easily.

Dwight J
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/14/09

Loc: Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: pugliano]
      #6099401 - 09/24/13 09:52 PM

H A Rey's *The Stars* was my first and it is still intact with the star map inside the book covef. It was my only chart for years.

azure1961p
Postmaster

Reged: 01/17/09

Loc: USA
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: Gil V]
      #6099410 - 09/24/13 09:57 PM

Quote:

The Sky Observer's Guide - 1971 printing. Yes, I still have it.

Oh my gosh - I read that prior to Miirdens book in 1974. I recall the great illustrations, particularly what Archimedes looks like when its magnified to much for the aperture. I LOVED that small book.

Oh my what find memories. I think I picked up Muirdens book a month or two later.

Pete

Feidb
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/09/09

Loc: Nevada
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: azure1961p]
      #6099459 - 09/24/13 10:37 PM

I'm home now and the book is The Telescope and the World Of Astronomy by Marvin F. Riemer. Green cover hardback. Well-worn but still in one piece. Came with the Sears refractor, Christmas 1966.

Chris Greene
professor emeritus

Reged: 12/04/05

Loc: Dark Sky, Idaho
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: Feidb]
      #6099479 - 09/24/13 10:53 PM

Actually, I do! All About the STARS by Anne Terry White from 1954. My grandparents subscribed us to the All About books and I still have a few from the early 60's.

I also have my original Menzel Field Guide like the OP and that's the book that really taught me the night sky. In college, in 1977, my astronomy professor used George Abell's Realm of the Universe and it's the only college text book I saved.

Illinois
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/18/06

Loc: near Dixon, Illinois USA
Re: Your First Astronomy Book: Still Have It? new [Re: Chris Greene]
      #6099865 - 09/25/13 07:46 AM

I still have 3 books from late 70's and early 80's. All about Telescopes by Sam Brown, A field guide to the Stars and Planets by Donald H. Menzel, and The Messier Album by John H. Mallas. I bought about 2 astronomy books per year since 1975.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
13 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1273

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics