Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
BigC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/29/10

Loc: SE Indiana
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Kevdog]
      #6208253 - 11/21/13 07:48 PM

A 76mm reflector is capable of showing quite a bit if that is all you can afford. Ebay USA often has used ones rather cheap,mine wa $15 plus shipping several years ago. No idea how much or if shipping from USA to India is reasonable.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Arpita]
      #6208373 - 11/21/13 09:08 PM

Would this be too much

http://m.snapdeal.com/product/celestron-powerseeker-114eq-telescope/1178694Would this be too much?

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: BigC]
      #6208404 - 11/21/13 09:24 PM

Celestron 130EQ for Rs 13,965 ?
http://www.ebay.in/itm/Celestron-AstroMaster-130EQ-Telescope-/271321346145?pt...

Now this is a Very Nice scope, and capable of so much more than the ones mentioned in the OP.

If you can handle the additional cost, this would be my choice. - Wish I had one a 10th that good when I started out 55+yrs ago.

Thank you,

-Chuck

hwhall
sage

Reged: 09/22/08

Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6210548 - 11/23/13 12:17 AM

Should they give some consideration to the possible. or eventual, need to collimate a reflector vs a refractor? Collimation seems to get confusing with all the different tools for it. Refractors shouldn't need such tinkering.

I got a 70mm Celestron Powerseeker refractor a few years ago and I wish I had had that good of a scope when I started playing with astronomy in high school. I have that, a 60mm refractor, a 114mm newtonian & a 76mm catadioptric. The 60mm one gets the most use, being light & easy to set up.

From my own limited experience, I think I'd always offer a newcomer a refractor first. But your mileage may vary!

--Wayne

SpooPoker
sage

Reged: 06/04/13

Loc: North Bay CA
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: hwhall]
      #6210597 - 11/23/13 01:19 AM

The most important aspect in astronomy: Ones budget and ones interest.

I do not buy into this idea that a small aperture instrument is nigh on useless. Ideally one would go for a 6" scope but this not being possible, go for what you can afford - and if that is a 70mm refractor, then go for it.

I play around with small scopes most nights, mainly to train myself to see better.

I think even the humble 60mm f/12 - f/15 achromat will surprise anyone that bothers to look through one. I find the Moon and Jupiter revealing many details and the 60mm splits many double stars effortlessly. I would imagine a 70mm refractor or reflector would be in the same ballpark.

Your husband will certainly enjoy the 70mm scope, the Moon is a very obvious target. Jupiter will show at least two bands to a casual observer, more details to an experienced observer. Saturn's rings will be resolved, the Cassini division would be challenge but it is nonetheless feasible for a small instrument. Mercury and Venus will show up in various phases that can be resolved by a 70mm scope. Brighter Nebula and open clusters will be good targets for a 70mm scope. Double stars with angular separation > 2" can be split.

There is plenty to see with a 70mm scope. It will not match up to a C14 or a 16" DOB, but it certainly is not useless. What you get for $100 is hours of enjoyment, that makes the scope a worthwhile purchase for your husband. I hope he enjoys it!

beanerds
sage

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Darwin Australia
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Joe Aguiar]
      #6210801 - 11/23/13 07:28 AM

Good selection Joe , even tho these are way above the budget here they are better options and will keep you happy for years .
My personal choice here would be the 90mm refractor on the AZ3 mount , great scope .
Brian.
Quote:

heres a few link that show better scope altho more than a $100 these can last a lot longer and make his viewing better much better.

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=4384

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=2146

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=2212

http://www.khanscope.com/productdetails.cfm?productID=4389

scopeboy42
sage

Reged: 03/06/06

Loc: Garner, NC USA
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Arpita]
      #6210957 - 11/23/13 09:57 AM

Why not buy a telescope made in India.

See:

http://www.sharpvisionindia.com/prod.htm

Based on online currency converter $100 USD = Rs 6,270.

The Astro View model will be closest to your budget at Rs 6,000 (+500 p/f).

Hope this helps.

Edited by scopeboy42 (11/23/13 11:31 AM)

JustaBoy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/12

Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: scopeboy42]
      #6212259 - 11/23/13 10:02 PM

I think one of those Sharp Vision scopes might keep someone happy for the time it takes to set it up, then...Not so much.

A real waste of money to buy a small aperture reflector like that when for around the same money you can get a refractor.

Please understand that the Obstructed Newtonian design does not scale well to very small apertures - You should consider a 3.5" to 4" Newtonian to be the minimum. - How do I know?...I've owned a 2.5", but more importantly have built many of various sizes. - Just to illuminate the field stop of a very modest 20mm eyepiece, the central obstruction must be an appreciable percentage of the primary's diameter in these very small sizes. - Not good.

I still say this one:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Celestron-AstroMaster-130EQ-Telescope-/271321346145?pt...

Good luck,

-Chuck

SpooPoker
sage

Reged: 06/04/13

Loc: North Bay CA
Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: JustaBoy]
      #6212422 - 11/24/13 12:26 AM

The obstruction of the diagonal is one of the most overemphasized aspects of reflector type telescopes and one that yields itself more to myth than reality. Increasing a diagonal (relative to the primary) does not necessarily translate to a poorer image that is obvious through the eyepiece. To talk of the obstruction creating a large enough amount of shadowing on the primary and interference that would severely affect the quality of the image, one would be looking at obstruction ratio's over 0.4. Few if any companies routinely design telescopes with such a large diagonal relative to the primary mirror. Most of the time, the obstruction ratio for most designs is between 0.15 and 0.3. Both are entirely acceptable, and it would take a keen eyed observer to notice much of a difference. John Isaacs, a long time and prominent visual astronomer here uses predominantly fairly low focal ratio telescopes (and thus with so called large secondaries/diagonals) for all kinds of observations and I have never heard him complain his 12" f/4.5 is throwing up a poor image!

The most important aspect of the secondary size is that it is not too small, i.e. effectively stopping down the telescope aperture. Using some very simple design rules, it is possible to avoid this completely. Too large a diagonal can affect the image contrast and slightly dim the object, a conservative approach aiming to fully illuminate a .5" diameter field nearly always results in a very good all round telescope. Most, if not all, major brands/makers hit the .5" - 1" mark and this nearly always results in an aesthetically pleasing image.

A 3" f/10 Newt can be designed to accommodate a .75" diagonal, yielding an obstruction ratio of 0.25, which is respectable and would compare very well with a 70mm f/10 achromat. The refractor in this case would not give a major improvement in image quality or contrast (a slight improvement noticeable in the eyepiece perhaps to a keen eyed observer, but certainly not major). There is no particular advantage of the newtonian over the achromat, although an achromat could potentially throw up some false color on bright targets.

I personally would go with the 70mm achromat for a beginner scope. It will come on an easy to use ALT AZ mount and will be good to go out of the box.

Arpita

Reged: 11/18/13

Re: Beginners Telescope new [Re: Kevdog]
      #6228956 - 12/02/13 11:50 AM

Hey thank you all for your replies...Atlast I have purchased Celestron Astromaster 70EQ for my husband

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  zjc26138, WOBentley, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1423

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics