Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

General Astronomy >> Beginners Forum

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
drwho41963

Reged: 04/19/14

Loc: Arizona
Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: GOLGO13]
      #6479147 - 04/21/14 01:32 PM

What about Catadioptric Telescopes they are pricy but they look like they do both planets and galaxies. Any feed back on this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/05/05

Loc: St. Louis area
Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: drwho41963]
      #6479207 - 04/21/14 01:58 PM

Quote:

What about Catadioptric Telescopes they are pricy but they look like they do both planets and galaxies. Any feed back on this?

Yep...the 5SE is a Catadioptric scope. They are not too expensive, but are not super cheap either. I believe the 5SE new is $699. They come used around $450ish. Just make sure it has the built in wedge (a little rod on the tripod) that allows you to do better photography (better tracking). Otherwise you could only do some basic imaging. Probably planets and moon but not other items. I will admit that I do not do astro-photography so other than the basics I cannot help much.

drwho41963

#6479231 - 04/21/14 02:10 PM

Thanks for the help I think I will look into the 5SE. I just created a post in the imaging forum so I will run this by them and see everything I will need to connect my camera and go from there. I was going to buy a new laptop but I think I'm going to do this instead.

javven

Reged: 03/16/08

Loc: TX Metro-Mess
      #6479252 - 04/21/14 02:23 PM

A group would be a good thing for you if you can find one. Sometimes you can even piggy-back another astronomer's setup either before or after they're done for the night. At star parties and dark sites they'll often have their setup up all night and there's so much you can learn.

It's easier to go "OK - that setup works to do X... now I take that mount and add in my lens/ccd and... get Y" than it is to try to start with unknowns on your mount, unknowns on your optics and no guidance there in the field when you need it.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: obin robinson]
      #6479376 - 04/21/14 03:31 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quite frankly that's a tough price point for what you are looking for. The taking picture part is what complicates it. It's not a simple endevour in my opinion. I am a visual only guy as I find that type of work frustrating and not worth my time (lots of other people have taken great photos of just about every object).

It's only as tough as you want to make it out to be ...

The $300 price point is completely doable because he already has a camera... and probably has a computer (considering that he's posting on this forum.)

Well, kinda. That camera should work OK for lunar and planetary imaging, but I don't think it will work well for galaxies. Too slow, and the built-in lens won't allow sufficiently low magnifications when shooting through a telescope.

drwho41963

Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: javven]
      #6479396 - 04/21/14 03:41 PM

I'm going to the next star gazing family night at the Challenger Space Center Arizona, Peoria and see if I can get more questions answered. Please continue to give me any information you think can help me. Thanks

drwho41963

Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #6479480 - 04/21/14 04:24 PM

Could I use Orion StarShoot would this work well instead of my camera?

Kevdog
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/11/12

Loc: Desert Hills, AZ
      #6481053 - 04/22/14 11:49 AM

In Phoenix I have seen an LDX75 with 5" refractor go for $400. Good scopes do pop up quite often here.

There's a meade 8" LX10 in flagstaff for $650 with an electric drive. It'd be tough to get it aligned well for pictures, but it does have the wedge with it for $650
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/pho/4399161357.html

Or almost the same in a Celestron for $650 in flagstaff:
http://flagstaff.craigslist.org/for/4427569540.html

There's also an LX10 in Phoenix for $475 but it's missing parts.
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/ele/4409902054.html

So nothing really great atm.

You could do some decent photos just by mounting your camera on a decent tripod/mount. A used CG4 or so. Plus there are often decent refractors on CL that you could later mount on it as well. There was a nice Celestron ED80 for $250 just a couple of weeks ago.

If you're patient and you look, you'll probably find something good around here.

drwho41963

Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: Kevdog]
      #6483722 - 04/23/14 04:08 PM

Thanks for the input. What do you think about the Meade ETX90. I found out that I can add a StarGPS to it for 129.00. Any idea how I can use my canon sx20 is camera on the etx90. I'm think maybe I should go with a web cam but my camera takes really good photos of the moon. It zooms to 80mm and you see the craters. Not really sure yet if I will go with the etx90 because I really would like to see good examples of what you can see through it.

drwho41963

#6483723 - 04/23/14 04:09 PM

Here is an example of a photo of the moon with my SX20 IS

OrdinaryLight
sage

Reged: 11/06/13

Loc: Massachusetts
      #6483860 - 04/23/14 05:09 PM

Quote:

I'm going to the next star gazing family night at the Challenger Space Center Arizona, Peoria and see if I can get more questions answered.

This is a great idea. If you have the opportunity to view through some different kinds of scopes before buying your own you should take advantage of it.

Quote:

What do you think about the Meade ETX90.

My first telescope was an Orion 90mm mak not too different from the ETX90 but without the electronic mount. The scope gives nice sharp views of the moon, is pretty good on bright planets, and can see/detect the brighter Messiers from my light polluted skies. The best part about the scope is the size; it's tiny so it's easy to store and bring along. A larger scope will show more detail on all targets. A 4" refractor is a significant step up. A 5" or 6" reflector or SCT would be too.

Note all the above is for visual use. I don't really image other than the occasional snap shot. Imaging with the ETX90 would be practically limited to moon and planets due to the long focal length. Here's a snap of the moon with my 90mm mak:

orion61

Reged: 10/20/07

Loc: Birthplace James T Kirk
Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: OrdinaryLight]
      #6484466 - 04/23/14 09:56 PM

There is a used NexStar 5 in the Classifieds for under $300.00
That is all you need and more! Plus it had Go-To, and the optics are Razor sharp! I trust George (the seller) absolutely!
It is the orig. NexStar but that isn't all bad.
The main thing I hear people beat them up about is you cannot update the handset. BUT here is what you get..
The mount is built MUCH better than the new SE versions.
I have had both. The motors are so much better you cannot believe till you use one side by side! There is 18,000
Objects, ALL you can see with a 5" plus a lot invisible in a 5".
By the way I kept my 5" and sold the NexStar SE, it was so much sloppier, noisy, and not as stable!
Good Luck

drwho41963

Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: orion61]
      #6485705 - 04/24/14 02:07 PM

Is this the one you gave away?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=440807&gclid=C...

If not can you send me a page like the above on the NexStar 5 please

gdd
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/05

Loc: N Seattle suburb, WA
      #6485770 - 04/24/14 02:43 PM

Get one of the telescopes mentioned above the planets. Just use the SX20 zoom lens for your deep space shots. You will be limited to 15 second exposures with a tracking mount, but if you take lots of them they can be stacked for pictures of the Milky Way and some of the larger and brighter objects.

There is a lady on www.astrobin.com who takes great pictures with a similar camera, the SX40. Do an advanced on that site for SX40 or SX20 to see what has been done. Later you will probably want to upgrade to a DSLR.

Here are some images taken with the SX40, some directly through the zoom lens and others taken afocally through a telescope.

Gale

Edited by gdd (04/24/14 03:06 PM)

drwho41963

Re: Telescope Selection Help new [Re: gdd]
      #6489834 - 04/26/14 01:06 PM

After some research I'm down to the meade rtx90 or the nexstar 5 se. Any comments or suggestions are very welcomed. I have one question what is meant by the f10 is it better if this number is lower or larger?

dham340

Reged: 04/05/14

Loc: Maryland, USA
      #6490005 - 04/26/14 02:27 PM

I just bought an etx 90at. It's was a demo so I got a nice discount from the dealer. From your posts you and I have similar requirements. The etx is a pretty good scope - I went with it over the 5se for a couple of reasons : first, my wife is a birder so it's more dual use than the 5se for that. For eg, add the optional diagonal and it's essentially a 90mm spotting scope also, get the t-adaptor and t-ring for your camera and it's a hell of a telephoto lens. Of course the 5se can do both of those things, but it's not as ready to go out of the box. The second reason was money -$300 for 2.5 inches is a lot.

Don't forget that whatever scope you get you are going to need accessories - I'm finding my list of addons is approaching the cost of the scope!

Couple of things on the etx90 to know : new etx90s are a bit different than many of the ones discussed online- specifically the mount has been changed - there is no hard stop home position, the battery compartment is different, there is no AC adaptor plug (basically the 90 now comes with the 60/70/80 mount). Some of this is good (finding home position) some not so (AC adaptor). Just FYI for your decision.

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

#6490033 - 04/26/14 02:39 PM

Both are good scopes. I think the 5SE is better, but you also pay a bit more for it. I had the previous version of the 5SE (the Nexstar 5i) and it was a great scope.

You may want to keep your eye on the used market. Both are very common scopes and come up on the used market quite a bit.

drwho41963

#6490135 - 04/26/14 03:22 PM

do you mean the use market on this site?

GOLGO13
Carpal Tunnel

#6490149 - 04/26/14 03:28 PM

Couple options. This site's classifieds. Ebay. Astromart (costs a little money to use). Craigslist (depends where you live as to if this is a good idea...I'm a bit cautious on this where I live).

There are neither scope on Astromart right now.

Just a word of caution...it's always a bit of a gamble when buying used...so look for someone who is a quality seller. Has sold a lot of stuff in the past. Etc.

drwho41963

#6490171 - 04/26/14 03:40 PM

is there a lens for the SE that will give me a wider View?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
19 registered and 32 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  WOBentley, kkokkolis, Chuck Hards 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1322

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics