Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
alsendk

Reged: 04/23/11

Loc: Denmark
Auction in Switzerland new [Re: alsendk]
      #5055262 - 02/04/12 02:41 PM

There is an auction site in Switzerland, called: RICARDO:CH
they have quite many german and swiss binoculars for auction there.
I just bought a Kern/Leica armee 8x30 there.
You just need to sigh up, and a entrance code will be sent to your residence,and you are free to go.

Am I making a fool of myself? you know about this place already? :O
If so, forgive me

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: alsendk]
      #5055299 - 02/04/12 03:08 PM

I would go for a maximum of 10X in a 50 mm objective. Read up about exit pupil sizes. Try a Jenoptem 10x50 as a good start to 50mm binoculars in the classic range. Look for a t3m coated version.

alsendk

Steiner 15x80 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5055334 - 02/04/12 03:32 PM

Thank you for your valuable information Simon, but can I please ask you one more?
tomorrow on Ebay.de
there will be a Steiner marine fernglas 15x80 for sale at 11:25:38 sunday
could this be useful for astronomy on lower level also?

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Steiner 15x80 new [Re: alsendk]
      #5055351 - 02/04/12 03:45 PM

I cant really coment as I do not know this binocular. A good 15x50 would be great though but a tripod would be needed.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: jhubs]
      #5055390 - 02/04/12 04:06 PM

Have you read the very long, locked, then unlocked, then again locked , thread about this topic which developed last year? It must have set a record for thread length. I contributed a lot to it and to its sequels and predecessors, including a low-cost projection laser aligner for binoculars.

You should wish to make the optical axes of each barrel parallel to each other and to the hinge axis. In this condition, the optical axes will be parallel to each other at any interpupillary distance (IPD). If the optical axes are parallel at one IPD, presumably set by you at your personal IPD, without being parallel to the hinge , then they are parallel at only that IPD. This has been called "conditional alignment".

So-called "collimation" has several meanings, depending upon the context. For binoculars, it would be better to call it unconditional alignment, or 3-way parallelism, or 3-axis parallelism, because:

Collimation of a monocular Newtonian telescope, or a monocular refractor or a catadioptric such as a Cass. or a Schmidt-Cass. has been made possible by the Cheshire eyepiece, the sight tube, and recent laser collimators. Here, collimation means proper alignment of the components of the monocular instrument.

Has anyone heard of attempts to collimate the components of one side of a binocular, before conditionally, or unconditionally ( so called "collimating") aligning that barrel to the other barrel?

If a 2-hinge Porro II instrument such as the Nikon 20 x 120,or similar WW II Japanese military binoculars, or the Fuji 25 x 150 or 15 x 80, or some of the straight view Kowa 20 x 120, or the prewar Zeiss mounted binocular telescopes, or the postwar DDR Zeiss Jena versions, or the Chinese copies/near copies have been disassembled in the prism region without retention of the (hopefully) factory correct position of the prisms , it is a good idea to attempt to collimate the affected barrel within itself,and to its own IPD change bearing axis, before attempting alignment of that telescope to its mate on the other side of the body.

A long reach comparator , such as the JTII rhomboidal or something similar,with or without an attached auxiliary telescope, to peek round the prism drum and body anywhere in a large angular swing , even 360 deg., is a big help in attaining an approximation to alignment of one barrel to its own rotating IPD change axis. At the same time, an attempt should be made to keep that telescope optically collimated. One thus gets an idea of the problems confronting the designers, production personnel, the factory assemblers, and ,one hopes, repair people who may eventually have a role in the life of a binocular telescope , be it single hinge bearing, or double hinge bearing.

Once a monocular half of a binocular telescope has been collimated, it is a very difficult mechanical/opto-mechanical proposition to attempt to exactly align the optical axis of a similarly collimated scope to the first one, without departing from collimation within one or both of the telescopes .

Therefore, it is a misnomer to call 3- axis alignment of a binocular "collimation". Though the collimation departures within each telescope may be small in the very best grade of binocular instruments, a departure from collimation within one or both telescopes of the binocular, even if one or both were originally collimated, is inevitably a result of 3-axis parallelism achievement. The difference may or may not be negligible.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5055415 - 02/04/12 04:18 PM

Wow! Thanks Gorgon, I understood some of that!

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: Steiner 15x80 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5055431 - 02/04/12 04:41 PM

Quote:

I cant really comment as I do not know this binocular.

Simon,

Here's one of the Steiner 15x80's sold in the USA.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/50495-USA/Steiner_415_15x80_Military_Binocular.html

Stan

alsendk

Re: Steiner 15x80 new [Re: hallelujah]
      #5057033 - 02/05/12 02:56 PM

I didn`t get the Sreiner 15x80 on Ebay.de.
The guy selling the bin had another cover up identity, who popped up the price to extremes.
is this legal?
I think it`s unfair business

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Steiner 15x80 new [Re: alsendk]
      #5057074 - 02/05/12 03:26 PM

It happens. No it's not legal but you need to prove the same person is upping the bids and then inform ebay.
I would not discuss it further on CN as moderators may well intervene.
Look for another pair Alan, I know how you feel though.

jhubs

Reged: 01/29/12

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: Gordon Rayner]
      #5057296 - 02/05/12 05:57 PM

Thanks Gordon. I found the thread on the mk.V collimator and gave it a quick scan,what has always confused me about alignment/collimation has been aligning the optical axis with the mechanical axis, now it makes sense.Good stuff!

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Steiner 15x80 new [Re: hallelujah]
      #5058199 - 02/06/12 10:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

I cant really comment as I do not know this binocular.

Simon,

Here's one of the Steiner 15x80's sold in the USA.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/50495-USA/Steiner_415_15x80_Military_Binocular.html

Stan

I tried a Steiner 15 x 80 during daylight and it was a good performer, but the guy who had it reckoned that it didn't show much more than a Fuji 16 x 70 at night. The Steiner was difficult to hand-hold due to the fattish barrels and length/weight. I eventually bought the Fuji and haven't been disappointed.

planetmalc
sage

Reged: 10/21/09

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Richard McC]
      #5058212 - 02/06/12 11:06 AM

Quote:

After almost two thousand posts to the old "Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussions" thread it is time to start a new one before the forum software has a heart attack!

To kick things off here are a couple of pictures of my Swift Audubon 804ED (8.5x44). Not a vintage binocular (mine was manufactured in 1996) but a Swift collector might call it a classic. Very sharp on axis and a decently wide field of view (~8.2) too.

Richard McC, I used my Audubon ED 8.5 x 44's this weekend and noticed that the right-hand top-plate is slightly different to yours: where yours says 'SWIFT', mine has the same red 'ED' logo that's lower down on yours, and 'SWIFT' is nowhere to be seen (it only appears on the left-hand top-plate). Everything else is the same. My serial number is 940466.

Yours fast becoming a Swift geek,

Malc

Edited by planetmalc (02/06/12 11:09 AM)

Richard McC
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/31/04

Loc: Australia
Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: planetmalc]
      #5059750 - 02/07/12 05:24 AM

Malc, I've seen pictures of other Swift 804ED binoculars with markings like yours, s.g., in this PDF from the "Historical Review of Swift 804 Audubon Binoculars" thread on BirdForum. I believe the differences are purely cosmetic.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Richard McC]
      #5063993 - 02/09/12 03:11 PM

Just found this Nikon on ebay, looks like a Pentax Marine / B&L M3! Never seen this model before, a baby tropical maybe?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/very-rare-NIKON-BINOCULARS-6x30-IF-NIPPON-KOGAKU-1959-MUSEUM-QUALITY-CASE-/150738392549?pt=Binocular&hash=item2318b555e5

jhubs

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: Simon S]
      #5064074 - 02/09/12 03:57 PM

That looks sweet simon 8.5 degrees from a 6x30,nice! if its as good as the tropical it could be the best 6x30 ever made. I have never seen one before and if I had the spare funds I would be all over it! Go on buy it. so I don't have to.

FrankL
sage

Reged: 07/30/09

Loc: Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada
      #5064081 - 02/09/12 04:04 PM

Quote:

Just found this Nikon on ebay, looks like a Pentax Marine / B&L M3! Never seen this model before, a baby tropical maybe?

I think it was called the Tenyu (which may mean "tropical in Japanese). Just as Nikon's early 7X50 Tropical build is very like the Mk 28's I've heard this one's like the WWII Universal Mk XXXIII 6X30.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) new [Re: FrankL]
      #5064118 - 02/09/12 04:33 PM

Very interesting. It does look like the Nikon models such as these are a copy of those m# binoculars as did Pentax.

jhubs

#5064156 - 02/09/12 05:07 PM

I think the pentax marine series were manufactured by Katsuma Kogaku Kikai ,it would be interesting to find out if these nikons have a jb/je code. The seller states a manufacturing date of 1959 so I guess it might not have one, but then again I am not sure if nikon ever outsourced binocular manufacturing like pentax did/does my guess is the nikon predates the pentax but I am sure someone on here will know for sure.

jhubs

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: FrankL]
      #5064219 - 02/09/12 05:55 PM

Here are some nice nikko/nippon kogaku binoculars.

http://akiroom.com/redbook-e/kenkyukai10b/kenkyukai201010.html

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Vintage and Classic Binoculars discussion (Part 2) [Re: jhubs]
      #5065421 - 02/10/12 12:57 PM

Jhubs, if I had the money I would be very tempted.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 18 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 54437

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics