Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: jhubs]
      #5052001 - 02/02/12 04:08 PM

Well if they are mirrors, you better hope you never have a reason to go inside!

Welcome to Cloudy Nights.

Bill

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/07

Loc: Crawley West Sussex UK
      #5052087 - 02/02/12 05:01 PM

Jhubs, no they do use prisms and I have a pair at work that people use for bird spotting at lunch..
Bill you might give people a chance. Sarcasm is not constructive, if this thread annoys or irritates you let us muddle through. I understand your knowledge and experience is vast in comparison to ours but let us voice our opinions.

jhubs

Reged: 01/29/12

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: BillC]
      #5052094 - 02/02/12 05:02 PM

Thanks for the kind welcome Bill!
I would love to learn to clean/service some of the pairs I have picked up over the years but collimation just downright terrifies me! I think listening to you guys here may be what I need to overcome my "phobia". Is there a good book on the subject you could recommend?

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

#5052133 - 02/02/12 05:26 PM

jhubs get a cheap binocular and try. Nothing to loose.

jhubs

Reged: 01/29/12

#5052141 - 02/02/12 05:31 PM

I thought they might have been designed around the old leitz amplivid system ah well! nothing but plain jane Schmidt-pechan then!

BillC
on a new path

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: Simon S]
      #5052261 - 02/02/12 06:51 PM

Quote:

Jhubs, no they do use prisms and I have a pair at work that people use for bird spotting at lunch..
Bill you might give people a chance. Sarcasm is not constructive, if this thread annoys or irritates you let us muddle through. I understand your knowledge and experience is vast in comparison to ours but let us voice our opinions.

Simon:

There is a difference between having fun and being sarcastic. That's why the "curmudgeon" was invented. You have seen VERY few times when I have really been sarcastic.

If I were truly annoyed, I wouldn't be here; most folks KNOW that.

However, if I have offended you with my tongue in cheek ways, I certainly am sorry. I want to save all my sarcasm for nameless people . . . like, say, Marco!

BillC

Pinewood
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/07/04

Loc: 40.77638º N 73.982652 W
Russian 7x35 new [Re: jhubs]
      #5052314 - 02/02/12 07:25 PM

Quote:

Russian binoculars must be one of the best bargains in used optics,I seem to be a bit of a magnet for them! Sometimes you get a hand signed Q.C certificate stuffed in the stinky leather case,nice touch I have pair of the 7x35 roofs that look like a notarem knock off they are unbelievably light and optically great(better than the notarems)I wonder if they use mirrors instead of prisms?

Hello J,

I used one of those, this week, to look at buffleheads in Central Park. They are certainly not extraordinary but are very usable, even without phase coating.
I think that those ubiquitous Chinese binoculars are providing better value and better optics, forcing those older Russian designs off the market.

Clear skies,
Arthur Pinewood

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: Russian 7x35 new [Re: Pinewood]
      #5052325 - 02/02/12 07:33 PM

Quote:

I think that those ubiquitous Chinese binoculars are providing better value and better optics, forcing those older Russian designs off the market.

Arthur Pinewood

I certainly hope not.
Even though I only own one USSR made Tento 20x60 binocular I would not mind having more USSR binos in the future.

Stan

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Russian 7x35 new [Re: hallelujah]
      #5052358 - 02/02/12 07:55 PM

I recently tried to sell a Russian Foton 7x35 roof prism ,never got a sniff, think I was asking $50 and that included shipping, I also have a Russian 20x60, 8x30 monocular, 10x30 Tourist telescope and a nice Galileon 4x36, most of these are pre USSR collapse, some with leather cases, certificates etc, a few yrs back I also had a Tento 7x50,also worth mentioning that the Russians make some very nice mechanical watches of which I own several, also I have a couple of Russian mechanical cockpit clocks, I was in the RAF, cold war era and had a sneeky admiration for the Russians, however I never voiced it at that time for obvious reasons, Dave.

Edited by Binojunky (02/02/12 07:57 PM)

binman
sage

Reged: 09/16/08

Loc: UK
Re: Russian 7x35 new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5052879 - 02/03/12 05:38 AM

Quote:

I recently tried to sell a Russian Foton 7x35 roof prism ,never got a sniff, think I was asking $50 and that included shipping, I also have a Russian 20x60, 8x30 monocular, 10x30 Tourist telescope and a nice Galileon 4x36, most of these are pre USSR collapse, some with leather cases, certificates etc, a few yrs back I also had a Tento 7x50,also worth mentioning that the Russians make some very nice mechanical watches of which I own several, also I have a couple of Russian mechanical cockpit clocks, I was in the RAF, cold war era and had a sneeky admiration for the Russians, however I never voiced it at that time for obvious reasons, Dave.

i wouldnt pay much for them, they are good but with iffy QC and build you take a chance, the charm is getting them so cheap! i probably bought 4 or 5 pairs to get a good set 2 or 3 years ago! i made the mistake of selling them though, but i got very lucky with the set i bought a few days ago. a couple years ago you could pick up russian/ussr made 8x30's for under 10 on the internet auction sights which ment you could buy a few and pick out the best then sell the rest or give them away.
nowadays people want 30 40 or even 65 plus! for a set of 8x30's.
there not as good optically as the carl ziess jena 8x30's but they are tougher
i held out for a badly listed set of 8x30's and paid 10 for them plus a little for postage

FrankKD

Reged: 09/10/08

#5053129 - 02/03/12 09:55 AM

Quote:

Ahh that is you! I wondered. Your on a very slippery slope now!
You need a Audubon or two to become a true Japanese binocular collector though.

I had one of the earlier Audubons Simon. Excellent glass for a variety of obvious reasons. My issue with that particular version though was the eyecup design. I need to completely remove the metal eyecups in order to see the full field of view on most of these models. This particular Audubon had the twist-up metal eyecups and I could not find a way to easily remove them. They found a good home now though with a fellow BF member. I believe his most recent comment on them was something along the lines of "...being buried with them.".

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: FrankKD]
      #5053166 - 02/03/12 10:20 AM

I just sold reluctantly a very nice Japan made earlier one piece bodied Pentax 8x40 porro, lovely binocular with the american style body, the reason?,short eye relief, even with the eyecups folded down I lost most of the view if I left my glasses on, I had bought a couple of years back a Nikon Action Ex in the same size as the Pentax and found it to be the one I reach for when needing a 8x40 glass, Dave.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5053698 - 02/03/12 03:40 PM

Did they have the orange coatings? Later models reverted to normal coatings. I quite like them both but sadly the orange coating models performed better but with a green tinge, although subtle was off putting.

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

#5054596 - 02/04/12 06:36 AM

Mine had the normal coatings with a wide angle view, however like most wide angle models the edge of view got a bit soft, Dave.

alsendk

Reged: 04/23/11

Loc: Denmark
Lieberman & Gortz 21x47 new [Re: Binojunky]
      #5055137 - 02/04/12 01:16 PM

Does anybody know if these binoculars are suitable for stargazing ?
They should be from the fifthies and have some sort of coatings.
Auction ends in 9 minutes :O)

brentwood
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/04/05

Loc: BC Canada
Re: Lieberman & Gortz 21x47 new [Re: alsendk]
      #5055172 - 02/04/12 01:41 PM

I watched the launch of Apollo 11 in 1969 with a borrowed Lieberman & Gortz 35x60. They had the extra benefit of being able to see the launch pad with the left side of the binocular and at the same time, with the right side I was able to see bikini babes on the beach!
Put another way, the collimation error was not measured in degrees, minutes or seconds but in compass directions.
The chance of those being even remotely collimated would be pretty slim.

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

#5055173 - 02/04/12 01:41 PM

Link! Quick!

Simon S
Carpal Tunnel

#5055178 - 02/04/12 01:43 PM

No no good at all!

BillC
on a new path

Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 [Re: jhubs]
      #5055182 - 02/04/12 01:46 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the kind welcome Bill!
I would love to learn to clean/service some of the pairs I have picked up over the years but collimation just downright terrifies me! I think listening to you guys here may be what I need to overcome my "phobia". Is there a good book on the subject you could recommend?

Yes, The Navy's OM3 & 2. There are many devices and techniques. Many, though I refuse to relate them to TRUE collimation, will serve ONE observer JUST FINE.

Send me your real email address, and I will send you more info. < wjc 1111 (at sign) hotmail dot com >

Cheers,

Bill

PS One need not scared at all. 'Just patient, cautious, and willing to learn.

alsendk

Reged: 04/23/11

Loc: Denmark
Re: Simon's B&L Mk 28 [Re: BillC]
      #5055252 - 02/04/12 02:31 PM

No, no good at all.
I was on Ebay.uk, but they really looked quite miserable, and the eye pieces was missing.
I wouldn`t mind look at the bikini girls, but a look at the moon at the same time would make me sick.
I better save my money for a Zeiss 15x50 Simon?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
12 registered and 33 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 51507

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics