Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/14/07

Loc: Bogotá - La Calera / Colombia
Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5508024 - 11/07/12 08:22 AM

No Stephan, I was refering to the whole binocular system with the eps, with a good head like the 501 or 503, I doubt 320g may unbalance it...
The Kowas, I don't know if with the eps or not weights 6.150g, the Docters with the 40x UWA eps (non removable, slightly diferent than the astro eps version that I would like to use in a Kowa) weight 4.850g.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: Andresin150]
      #5508039 - 11/07/12 08:40 AM

And it is of great appeal to me, since at 40x in the Docters I have the same TFOV that at 32X in the Kowas, and sharp to the edge, and because their long eye relief I can take the whole Fov at once...

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
      #5508340 - 11/07/12 01:08 PM

The Docter Aspectem and its optical performance is da bomb, no doubt about it.

But when I had to decide between Docter's straight through and Kowa's 45 degree design, I decided for the second. Never regretted it. Even if the Docter delivers a slightly better edge sharpness, the 45° Kowa is more versatile.

Stephan

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

#5510322 - 11/08/12 05:42 PM

Indeed, observing preferences will always come into play. For me, the 45 deg eps are the clear advantage of the Kowas for astro use, but the huge AFOV, and overall image quality of the Docters added to the fact that I observe a lot in daytime too made me prefer them. (And also because I was able to try them before buying, that was a big plus )

Binomania.it

Reged: 05/20/10

Loc: North Italy
      #5628236 - 01/17/13 02:54 PM Attachment (32 downloads)

Hi to All. Kowa has send to me his new zoom wide eyepiece: KOWA TE-11WZ. This eyepiece is born for the spottingscopes and has a bayonet clamp

It has an apparent field very good. Almost 80 °AFOV at 60X. It has a great flat field.. I asked to Kowa Italy to know me if it's possible to change the attack of this zoom for kowa highlander.
You can find some images here http://www.binomania.it/spottingscope/Kowa_TSN_883_Prominar/new_kowa_TE11WZ.php
Best Regards!
Pier

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: Binomania.it]
      #5628335 - 01/17/13 03:38 PM

Thank you, Piergiovanni, for the update!

According Kowa's Japanese webpage, the new TE-11WZ consists of two low-dispersion glass elements (use Google Translator to read the Japanese text).
It will be interesting to read more about this new zoom eyepiece in the Kowa Highlander (if the adaption becomes possible). And a comparo report between the new zoom eyepiece and the three fixed mag eyepieces would be nice.

Stephan

Binomania.it

#5628416 - 01/17/13 04:27 PM

Hi Stephan, okay. I'll start to do all the tests tomorrow

Sgt
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/17/05

Loc: Under the southern horn of the...
      #5628491 - 01/17/13 05:13 PM

I wonder how this compares to the Leica ASP zoom?

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: Sgt]
      #5628573 - 01/17/13 06:02 PM

Interesting eyepiece: 60-80° AFOV and 2.4x zoom range; 17mm eye relief.

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5628586 - 01/17/13 06:07 PM

Zoom eyepieces in a scope are one thing.

Binoculars could prove a little more taxing!

Kenny

Binomania.it

Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5629295 - 01/18/13 02:57 AM

Hello Kenny, you're right. The binoculars have a big problem with the zoom eyepieces : the collimation.
Anyway I'm pretty calm for two reasons. My exemplar of Kowa Highlander is perfectly collimated
We controlled it with a Zeiss collimator 4X. At 200X has a perfect collimation !
Luca Mazzoleni has not collimated my instrument. The Docter Aspectem 20-50X of my friend Konrad was well collimated. If Kowa would, could, use this zoom on the Highlander series I do not think that they would have problems to collimate the instrument at maximum magnification. Usually there are problems with eyepieces and economic binoculars.
In any way I want to specify that this is an eyepiece created for their series of spottingscopes. I asked kowa Italy if is possible a modification for the highlander series. I am waiting for a response

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51°N 4°E
      #5629306 - 01/18/13 03:19 AM

Pier, do they have a 2" adapter to put this eyepiece in a telescope? I'm really looking forward to hear more about this one.

Binomania.it

Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5629316 - 01/18/13 03:33 AM

Hi Mark. at the moment There is no serial adapter. I just wrote to the manager of Kowa Germany with my first impressions. I collect often the demands of amateurs and i send to companies. I will do this thing also.
As soon as I have a response I will alert you
Kind Regards from Italy and Have a nice week end!
Piergiovanni

Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

#5629321 - 01/18/13 03:43 AM

Having already purchased all three Kowa fixed mag eyepieces for the Highlander, personally, I would prefer to see from Kowa another fixed mag eyepiece in the 70-100x mag range.

Stephan

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
      #5629672 - 01/18/13 10:49 AM

Quote:

Having already purchased all three Kowa fixed mag eyepieces for the Highlander, personally, I would prefer to see from Kowa another fixed mag eyepiece in the 70-100x mag range.

I think that's a reasonable maximum for an 82mm binocular; perhaps unreasonalbe to some...

82x would give a 1mm exit pupil. Less than that just seems to be pushing too hard, IMO.

Those of us with the 100mm Miyauchi Saturns wondered why the factory Miya eyepieces came in 33x, 39x, 55x and then jumped all the way up to 150x! A .66mm exit pupil is pushing these binoculars past their practical limits. The concensus was that 75x and maybe 100x eyepieces at maximum would have been a more useful limit. That range of mag. was never produced except as aftermarket eyepieces by Harry Siebert.

Even in a binocular with "perfect" optics, when you go over 100x, collimation has to be exceedingly precise and eyepiece axial alignment must be spot on as well. I'd expect the user would need individual collimation skills to insure the usefulness of the binocular at that point.

Rich

KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: Rich V.]
      #5629835 - 01/18/13 12:07 PM

Thanks for the extra info,Pier.

Hope you enjoy the weekend!

Kenny

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5629988 - 01/18/13 01:54 PM

Thanks Pier

I would like to have an ep similar to the Docter UWA 12,5mm,
something that would give 36x and more than 2.5 TFOV. Sharp to the edge. I'm not really interested in higher magnifications, just more quality..., althoug a good high magnification ep, say 75-80x seems appealing for terrestrial use...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#5632714 - 01/20/13 07:48 AM

Those of us with the 100mm Miyauchi Saturns wondered why the factory Miya eyepieces came in 33x, 39x, 55x and then jumped all the way up to 150x! A .66mm exit pupil is pushing these binoculars past their practical limits. The concensus was that 75x and maybe 100x eyepieces at maximum would have been a more useful limit. That range of mag. was never produced except as aftermarket eyepieces by Harry Siebert.

Even in a binocular with "perfect" optics, when you go over 100x, collimation has to be exceedingly precise and eyepiece axial alignment must be spot on as well. I'd expect the user would need individual collimation skills to insure the usefulness of the binocular at that point.

Rich

Sorry for the out of subject

On my Saturn III I've done same esperience about magnification:
Tv pl 40mm with some bend of electrical tape on the barrel, give me a marvellous 19x.

Tv pl 32mm after turning the eypices until the green writings, (2/2.5mm) some turns of tape on the non machined parts give me a good 23.5x.

Their own 19.2mm give 39x, the other Miyauchi 25.3 give 30x, the 14mm, gives nice 54x and the 5mm gives good 150x.

Too much space, so I tried some other solutions:
Tv pl 11mm, machined until neally oll the green writins dispare, the barrel must be 3mm longer, after some bend of tape on the unmachined barrel, give good 68x. Unfortunely the narrow field of the plossel after have use the precedings Er66° are quite bit unsatisfaid.

In the opposit so much good are the Naglers 7mm
Machined to have a barrel 5mm longher.
I though easy to do, looking at the long part chromium-plated, but was'nt, durin the turn machining, half of the eypice fall down .
The turner call me very afraid, luckely he did not knew the price of the eypice, I run tu him, and lukely enytings was irreparably, some other turnings, then glue to reconnect the parts
107.5x all the moon in the eypice, the best, that made a Saturn III far long away from every other.
Clear sky
Sergio

PS I tried also to take awey the thread for filter at the Nagler 3/6mm, but it das'nt make the barrel short inaf to reach focus. I'm not temerary inaf to kut more

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Kowa Highlander: New Eyepieces in the Pipeline! new [Re: ]
      #5632980 - 01/20/13 11:04 AM

Hi, Sergio, welcome to CN!

Yes, there is always the option to modify existing eyepieces to fit these binocular telescopes that use proprietary eyepieces. Like you have done for your Miyauchis, others have modified Naglers in a similar fashion to fit the Kowa. You seem to be much more adventurous than most of us!

Thanks for sharing your experience with the Saturns! Here's the work of a gentleman in France who has had good success modifying his Miyauchis to accept other eyepieces. You may find it interesting.

http://www.valeasy.fr/accueil/fiche_technique.php?page=104

http://www.valeasy.fr/accueil/fiche_technique.php?page=91

I'm sure someone could work over a Kowa in similar fashion if they had the machine shop and experience to do such work. It's not for the faint of heart, though.

Rich

Andresin150
Pooh-Bah

#5633340 - 01/20/13 02:33 PM

Tamiyi, you think that the Docter eyepieces are machineable to make them work with the Kowas?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 24 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10634

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics