Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: C2012 K5 (LINEAR) new [Re: ronharper]
      #5604021 - 01/04/13 02:41 AM

I spent about a half hour observing from 1:45 to 2:15 EST from my suburban location with my 10x70 and my 16x80, and I failed to see it with the 10x70. However, using averted vision with the 16x80 I did find it already past X Aur. Very faint but an obvious elongated fan-like shape. Difficult to see with direct vision, unfortunately. I thought of going back and getting my 25x100 but the moon was already becoming a problem so I just went in. May try it tomorrow. M36, M37 & M38 showed well in both binoculars, but especially in the 16x80.

I actually used both binoculars hand-held from my reclined anti-gravity chair. The 16x80 would work better like that if I had some higher elbow rests. I may just have to make myself a set of those...

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: C2012 K5 (LINEAR) new [Re: SMark]
      #5604176 - 01/04/13 07:23 AM Attachment (25 downloads)

nabbed it again tonight -i was surprised how much the comet had moved away from M36 from my previous obs last night, i thought initially i couldn't see t but it as sitting at the top of my fov (towards my Sth)

i would have to say it is more distinctive tonight as a comet, the coma easily visible outline wise, the nucleus appeared definitively tonight whereas a last night i as using averted & giving my best guess of where it was
sketch attached, instrument 25x100
bright star at top of view is X/Chi Aurigae

Edited by daniel_h (01/04/13 07:24 AM)

Mike Lynch
sage

Reged: 04/07/06

Re: C2012 K5 (LINEAR) new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5604205 - 01/04/13 07:57 AM

Tried LINEAR last night (Jan. 3) with my 20x80's in my suburban back yard. Saw M36 with no problem, but couldn't see the comet. Better location (away from lights) likely would have made a difference!

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

ngc 9999

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N
Re: Success! new [Re: Mark9473]
      #5604395 - 01/04/13 09:40 AM

Does Stellarium shows the right position?

Riddick
journeyman

Reged: 08/05/12

Re: Success! new [Re: ngc 9999]
      #5604632 - 01/04/13 11:52 AM

Quote:

Does Stellarium shows the right position?

Yes, press F2 (configuration), click on Plug-ins, Solar System Editor, check the box Load at startup and then click on configure. Click on the tab Solar System and then click again on Import orbital elements in MPC format.
Select type: comet, select source: a list of objects from the internet: MPC's list of observable comets. Finally click on Get orbital elements.

Seems more complicated than it is, once inside stellarium it's very easy.

To quickly locate the comet I usually press F3 and type C/2012 K5. It goes directly to it.

Another great two Plug-ins in Stellarium to star hopping through binoculars are angle measure and ocular view. I've located many elusive objects with these.

Edited by Riddick (01/04/13 11:55 AM)

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Success! new [Re: Riddick]
      #5605063 - 01/04/13 03:49 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

Chart attached is for tonight. Cloudy here and likely the rest of the week but good luck.

Rich V.
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/02/05

Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada, USA
Re: Success! new [Re: John_G]
      #5605133 - 01/04/13 04:18 PM

Last night was a wash out for me; the comet was very near Chi Aur (mag 4.71) but the glare it and the three other stars in that area prevented me from seeing the comet in 16x70s. Transparency was worse than the other night; even the bright OCs in the area looked washed out.

It was hard on the neck as well; I ended up tilting my tripod back on two legs to make it less painful. Too cold to setup more gear for an easier shot on my neck.

If this comet was more spectacular, I'd feel better about braving the elements! It's certainly no Comet Machholz; that was a proper winter comet!

Rich

daniel_h
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/08/08

Loc: VIC, Australia
Re: Success! new [Re: Rich V.]
      #5605212 - 01/04/13 04:58 PM

For Mike & ngc999 the comet wasn't so near M36 last night as some charts predicted, but was closer to Taurus

Rich opposite conditions for me, most of my state reached close to 105F yesterday, & it was stinking hot all night...the comet is also close o my northern horizon, no neck craning necessary, but slightly higher would be better. (the Aur clusters never get high enough for me to be at their best)

Hopefully it will still be good next Tuesday, I am going to 1700+ M for a mountain top outreach night

John_G
sage

Reged: 01/18/10

Re: Success! new [Re: daniel_h]
      #5605343 - 01/04/13 06:30 PM

With my 12x50s, I didn't see the nucleus but the coma was quite noticeable. Faint and fuzzy but visible, especially with averted vision. My 4th comet since 2009.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
Re: Success! new [Re: John_G]
      #5605778 - 01/04/13 11:36 PM

I was able to see it in Richmond KY, on December 3rd around 10:15 PM (UTC-5), but only with averted vision. Did not see a bright core, so probably I was seeing the tail. The sketch by Daniel seem to depict what I was seeing (if I look at his sketch by rotating my head 90 degrees left). My FOV was bigger as I saw the comet with my Canon 15x50 (I found it with these) and then I saw it again with my Fujinon 16x70. By the way, stars have much more "punch" in the 16x70. Looks like my eyes still open beyond 4.3 mm.
Marco

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/14/06

Re: Success! new [Re: rydberg]
      #5605816 - 01/05/13 12:12 AM

My view tonight agrees with Daniel's last report, although with a 15x60 I couldn't see it as well as his sketch. NE to SW elongation is now evident, with the SW end concentrated. A dim star at the end of the "tail" combined with a not very transparent night left me feeling unfulfilled. Oops, shouldn't get too emotional here, try to think of those who haven't seen it at all.
Ron

Man in a Tub
Postmaster

Reged: 10/28/08

Loc: Fogpatch, CA
Re: Success! new [Re: ronharper]
      #5606043 - 01/05/13 05:35 AM

With the Fujinon 10x50 FMT-SX on the Garrett 2000 monopod, I pulled off a very brief view of the comet. It was dim and roundish with a ninth magnitude star to the left. Time was approximately 02:00 PST (UTC-8). The observation occurred just as large strands of wispy clouds, harbingers of the next rainstorm, were sweeping in.

Notable for this session, C/2012 K5 (Linear), Ceres and Beta Tau formed a nearly perfect equilateral triangle (about 2° on each side).

Mike Lynch
sage

Reged: 04/07/06

Re: Success! new [Re: rydberg]
      #5607223 - 01/05/13 08:09 PM

Just a few counties northwest of Rydberg, in Frankfort, Ky., I finally managed to see LINEAR with my 80mm f/6.6 scope last night. Best view was with a 9mm Expanse eyepiece. 80 mm binocs just couldn't make it visible.

Had to keep El Nath out of the field of view to see the comet. It was little more than a slight brightening of the background darkness. Little shape was visible.

Mike Lynch
Frankfort KY USA

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Success! new [Re: Mike Lynch]
      #5607617 - 01/06/13 12:25 AM

Tonight, my view was free of interfering stars. The comet has faded a lot, and now although appearing larger than M1 is harder to see. The 15x60 showed only an amorphous glow. In my 6" Newt at 30x, I could see a head and a short tail. Look fast or forget about it!
Ron

radiotowers

Reged: 01/08/13

Loc: Louisa, VA
      #5611882 - 01/08/13 12:39 PM

Should I be able to find this comet using an 80mm refractor (specifically, an ETX-80)? Would assume so based on the types of binoculars people are reporting seeing it with, but didn't have any luck finding it last night. Although admittedly I didn't spend much time on it.

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
Re: Success! new [Re: radiotowers]
      #5612285 - 01/08/13 04:41 PM Attachment (10 downloads)

Give it a look tonight....first clear day in a while.

Will try to recover with 6 inch f/5 and Binoviewers...hey, its binocular viewing if not binoculars.

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Success! new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5612978 - 01/09/13 12:13 AM

Tonight I found the comet pretty easily with 10x56. I kept thinking I saw a vague brightening inside, and 15x60 confirmed this impression. The way it had been dimming the last few days, this surprised me. I looked at other things for a while, and when I returned to the comet, it had moved clear of the brightening. So, almost fooled by a star. Now I realized that the star had falsely reinforced the view. Standing alone, the comet was much dimmer. It is now smaller than M1, and considerably harder to see.
Ron

ronharper
Carpal Tunnel

#5615322 - 01/10/13 11:30 AM

Last night conditions were pretty good, but I failed to find the comet with a 15x60. I searched probably 10 minutes nonstop, and more scattered over an hour long session.

Lately I've noticed a difficulty that never bothered me much before. A very dim star will appear not as a point of light but as a small blur. Arduous averted vision may or may not reveal a tendency of light to momentarily concentrate within the blur. A search for a dim extended, but small, object is likely to be inconclusive--at the threshold of visibility, you can't be sure you're not looking at a star.

That might be "Deep Sky 101", but I'm newly impressed by it. Comets are sort of an exception. Last night, my only candidate for the comet failed to move--not good! It was fun anyhow. Exciting even. Can somebody explain that?
Ron

Special Ed
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/03

Loc: Greenbrier Co., WV 38N, 80W
      #5623521 - 01/14/13 10:07 PM

Hi,

Good to see so many binocular comet observations. This was a good one and you will seldom see one with so rapid a movement.

I looked for it the evening of the 12th (13th UT) with my 12x36 IS II's but was unable to detect it. I had a good chart from Skyhound and was looking at the right spot. Transparency was poor which was a contributing factor but it may have faded enough so that it is beyond the reach of those binoculars.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 29 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4782

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics