Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/12/05

Loc: west Ky.
Re: Any other mounts besides a parallelogram? new [Re: SMark]
      #5624028 - 01/15/13 09:06 AM

Please let us know how they work out for you SMark.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
salientbunny

Reged: 06/13/12

Loc: Southeast Georgia, US
Re: Any other mounts besides a parallelogram? new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5624654 - 01/15/13 03:33 PM

Faackanders2, these...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/553830-REG/Manfrotto_143A_143A_Magic_Ar...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=manfrotto+super+clamp&N=0&In...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/823282-REG/BARSKA_AF10546_Binocular_Tri...

Edited by salientbunny (01/15/13 03:37 PM)

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: Any other mounts besides a parallelogram? new [Re: salientbunny]
      #5624756 - 01/15/13 04:30 PM

Here's more:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywo...

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any other mounts besides a parallelogram? new [Re: hallelujah]
      #5624898 - 01/15/13 06:02 PM

Ok, ya'll talked me into it, I just ordered a Manfrotto Magic Arm with camera bracket off of Amazon (still need a clamp)! For less than $100 why the heck not. I'm buying it under the assumption they won't handle the 5+ lbs. of the Garretts, so I'm keeping all the great DYI links everyone provided. They should be perfect for my 10x50's though. I hope the saying is true that, 'It's better to ask for forgiveness than for permission' . Now I gotta look for a chair! Thanks all.....Phil

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5627184 - 01/16/13 10:44 PM

Thank you silent bunny!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5629681 - 01/18/13 10:54 AM

Just ordered it. Thanks for the info.

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

#5630097 - 01/18/13 03:16 PM

Great faackanders! I just received mine today but waiting for the SuperClamp. Put my 10x50's on them just to see how it's going to operate and seems like it's going to work great for those, as it looks to be quite a solid and sturdy piece of hardware. Alas, my 20x80's have developed some sort of white, dime-sized, moldy looking growth in a couple of places inside one of the objectives. I've been holding off sending them in to get cleaned so I can see how they fare on the MagicArm .... Phil

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any other mounts besides a parallelogram? new [Re: wky46]
      #5630222 - 01/18/13 04:30 PM

For my 25x100 binos which got dew inside them, I bought a jar of flower drying pellets and put it is a sealed bag w/ the binos. It took about a month but now binos are dry inside.

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

#5630249 - 01/18/13 04:50 PM

I'll remember that, thanks. Had them near the ocean last year and only recently got them out. Sure hope I didn't wait too long.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
      #5630971 - 01/19/13 01:54 AM

Quote:

Please let us know how they work out for you SMark.

Well, I have to say I really like it. It does take a bit of getting used to with regard to getting the positioning just right and all, but that's pretty much all it is. Once acclimated to the mechanics of it all it's pretty easy to adjust and position everything correctly the fist time. I first tried it with my 16x80 and it worked great.

I will say this though, that heartbeat thang is a bit annoying. I'll try using more cushion behind me and see if that tames things a bit. It becomes a big deal when viewing Jupiter because the planet will obviously bounce with each heartbeat. But when I moved over to M45 and then M42 it didn't seem to be as noticeable.

Though I did find a way to make it go away entirely... I attached my Canon IS binoculars to it instead. I tried all three... The 10x42, the 15x50, and the 18x50 (recently acquired) and in each case it was as steady as staring at a painting on the wall from 5 feet away. Yeah, rock-steady. I could get used to that real fast. Nothing like sitting comfortably in a chair with your head and neck supported and looking at rock-steady views of the heavens...

So I'm really happy with it. It might be fun to build something like a Dobsonian platform of sorts to set the zero gravity chair onto, with a couple handles attached to the base to give a bit of left-to-right movement when needed. Something to think about anyway. Something like that could keep you from ever having to get up and reposition the chair.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
      #5631418 - 01/19/13 11:52 AM

Oh, SMark!
You had to mention how good the Canon 15x50 are on the magic arm...Like I need to spend more money on mounts
Just to repay you in kind , instead of building a Dobsonian base, why don't you get a sun-tracker chair and find a way to mount the magic arm to its frame?
Sun tracker
Marco

wky46
Carpal Tunnel

Re: Any other mounts besides a parallelogram? new [Re: rydberg]
      #5631994 - 01/19/13 06:26 PM

Nice chair Marco. Do you have one? Just wondering about the build quality (of course). I've been thinking about kinda the same concept but simply using a lazy susan bearing, sandwiched between two sheets of plywood and just setting a reclining lawnchair upon that. I'm sure it's been done a bunch but just wondering what size bearing that could handle the load and footprint.

SMark
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/29/11

Loc: Atlanta, GA USA
Re: Any other mounts besides a parallelogram? new [Re: rydberg]
      #5632030 - 01/19/13 07:00 PM

Quote:

Oh, SMark!
You had to mention how good the Canon 15x50 are on the magic arm...Like I need to spend more money on mounts
Just to repay you in kind , instead of building a Dobsonian base, why don't you get a sun-tracker chair and find a way to mount the magic arm to its frame?
Sun tracker
Marco

Heh Heh...

Yeah, the Suntracker should work well with the Magic Arm. I like the zero gravity chair because it does zenith with ease and comfort. Observing at zenith is most difficult with a typical tripod, unless you have 45°/90° setup (which I don't.)

Any time you attach your instrument to the same frame you are sitting in, you will get unwanted movement and vibrations affecting the image to some extent. It's not a whole lot in this case, but the Canon IS makes it zero.

rydberg
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 02/25/04

Loc: Richmond, KY, USA
      #5632368 - 01/19/13 10:39 PM

Hello WKY46:
No, I don't own one. I am always considering it, but I seem never to decide, one way or the other. I read somewhere, IIRC, that the bearings on the base are rated at 250 lb.
I think someone on the forum has it, if you do a search over the last couple of years.

Marco in Richmond, KY.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5639763 - 01/23/13 11:23 PM

Just got my order of:
Manfrotto Magic Arm w/ Camera bracket
Manfrotto 035RL Super Clamp w/Standard Stud(for 25x100 binos)
Barska Binocular Tripod adapter (2ea for smaller binos)
$145.60 free shipping

Below freezing temps and cloudy outside. So I decided to set up inside on my zero gravity chair. Everything set up easy, but the majic arm clamp was harder to do than I expected. It probably would work great with my 9&15x63 Orion Mini Giants (but since I already have a garrett pivoting pistol grip monopod, my main interest was the 25x100s which I have never been able to use at zenith with comfort).

As mentioned above the standard stud was needed for the 25x100 vertical post. The 10lb weight of the binos is too much for horizontal viewing with 25x100s (the ball joint pivot will hold hold position canterlevered out horizontally with such a moment arm. However I am marginally able to look vertical with the 25x100, since I only have to hold up a fraction of the 10 lbs weight above my eyes (and my forehead/face can also support the reduced effective weight (with no risk of getting black eyes like hand holding without any support which I attempted once 2 minutes for the North American one summer ). So I think I will be able to look at the zenith with my 25x100 on a clear night (and then I'll try the easier 9&15x63 and smaller binos. Should be real comfortable for the relatively static "comet of the century". But the Orion paralleogram (which I returned) would probably have worked better for 9&15x63mm and smaller binos.

Gordon Rayner
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/24/07

#5639986 - 01/24/13 03:26 AM

I saw a Magic Arm and Super Clamp holding a DSLR camera at a nature park two days ago.

There seem to be numerous adjustments, which would need to be repeated every time a new target were chosen. One might get lost while re-orienting and re-clamping? Am I missing something?

The Orion P-gram does not have sufficient axes for reclined use. There are many and better self-made multiple axis ( or to which more axes can be straightforwardly added) wood and/or metal p-grams easily found by a search in CN and/or Google.
One might succeed with only a hand drill( perhaps even one of the old "eggbeater" type )and a handsaw or hacksaw, and some sharp handfiles, but a drill press or a stand for a hand drill would be a big help, as would a vise/vice.

Bearings can be bronze sleeve T-shaped, from McMaster-Carr or Reid's ("for your needs"). Scissor cut Teflon washers. They can be square, or octagonal, and/or multiply stacked on a bolt with two fender washers and a nut, then chucked in the drill press or mounted hand drill, and hand filed circular. The Japanese style " multiple hacksaw blade" handheld files are very fast for that operation.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5643544 - 01/25/13 11:02 PM

The Manfrotto Magic Arm comes with two allen wrenches, to tighten up over time as it gets loose. Would tightening them up now make it better for my heavy 25x100 binos; or would it damage or make it wear out quicker.

I tightened my pistol grip monopod with the provided allen wrench with great sucess of preventing/eliminating creeping/shortening of the monopod with the weight of 9 & 15x63mm Orion Minigiant binos. Before tightening they would not stay up but creed down.

But the manfroto system is mor complicated, and the lever to "lock" is very hard and tight already. Before I use the allen wrenches, I would like some experienced user feedback (to prevent damage and/or give me confidence).

Thanks Ken

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5646407 - 01/27/13 04:42 PM

Quote:

The Manfrotto Magic Arm comes with two allen wrenches, to tighten up over time as it gets loose. Would tightening them up now make it better for my heavy 25x100 binos; or would it damage or make it wear out quicker.

I tightened my pistol grip monopod with the provided allen wrench with great sucess of preventing/eliminating creeping/shortening of the monopod with the weight of 9 & 15x63mm Orion Minigiant binos. Before tightening they would not stay up but creed down.

But the manfroto system is mor complicated, and the lever to "lock" is very hard and tight already. Before I use the allen wrenches, I would like some experienced user feedback (to prevent damage and/or give me confidence).

Thanks Ken

Also anybody know how these clamp on the inside. Since I sometimes observe in extreme cold (like this month) is there anthing like rubber or bungee cords inside that may snap in the colde, or is everything , metal (cables or breaks, or metal hinges that can take the cold). Anyone out there use them in below freezing temps? Thanks for any feedback, before I learn by trial and error.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5658070 - 02/02/13 12:45 PM

With below zero farenheight temps I have not tried the Manfrotto Magic Arm outside. Yesterday it even hurt my nose to breathe. Didn't want to risk anything rubber hidden inside breaking.

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
      #5666930 - 02/07/13 11:42 AM Attachment (29 downloads)

Another option....available from Oberwerk.

If you don't care about correct field orientation, this works real good for zenith viewing.

I use binoculars for sweeping Milky Way structure and find this method works great without reclining and obviously there is no neck strain.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 21 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6667

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics