Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
ThomasM
sage

Reged: 04/19/09

Re: 12" Binocular Telescope on Refractors new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5662067 - 02/04/13 04:17 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree, if you don't live under a dark sky a 6" instrument is an excellent choice. I built such an instrument

http://www.cloudynights.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/3720212/page...

with 160 mm f/6.5 oilpaced apo lenses, total weight 11.8 kg. Such an instrument can easily be transported to a dark side and hooked up to a mount. The big advantage compared to a bigger refractor with binoviewer, the large field, with 17 mm Ethos I get 1.6 degree TFOV at 65x maginification.

Thomas

Thomas how much did your 6" bino telescopes cost to make?

Ken

Ken,

I can not give an exact number, it took me almost three years to construct the instrument and I did not count all expenses. All in all, I guess the total costs were about twice as much as that of a high quality comercial 150-160 mm apo refractor.

Thomas

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ThomasM
sage

Re: 12" Binocular Telescope on Refractors new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5662076 - 02/04/13 04:27 PM

Quote:

Glen and Rich,

I never said collimation was IMPOSSIBLE with binoculars at magnifications above 50x, I just stated that it CAN be TRICKY.

There's certainly nothing "dangerous" about that statement whatsoever.

I'm surprised at you two not paying more attention to detail ! :-)

Kenny

just to add one point, the impressive 12" instrument, but also my 160 mm binocular telescope have two knobs (for left/right, up/down each) which allow perfectly overlaying the two images . This mandatory for high magnifiction and very comfortable to use.

Thomas

joe nastasi
Vendor (Parallax Instruments)

Reged: 11/15/06

Re: 12" Binocular Telescope on Refractors new [Re: ThomasM]
      #5662102 - 02/04/13 04:45 PM

Nice project but a near perfect 16"-18" equatorial Newtonian with a high quality binoviewer will outperform it for $490K less.

ThomasM
sage

Re: 12" Binocular Telescope on Refractors new [Re: joe nastasi]
      #5667529 - 02/07/13 05:25 PM

Quote:

Nice project but a near perfect 16"-18" equatorial Newtonian with a high quality binoviewer will outperform it for $490K less.

Assuming that this is correct, why does somebody who can affort it waists so much money?

GamesForOne
sage

Reged: 09/29/09

Loc: Knoxville, TN
      #5667566 - 02/07/13 05:54 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Assuming that this is correct, why does somebody who can affort it waists so much money?

That is quite an assumption. Such a question risks opening the can of worms as to which telescope design puts up a better image. Frankly, my 105mm TMB-designed APO lens with AP diagonal shows an absolutely textbook star image. Observing double stars with it is a joy with good seeing, with or without a binoviewer.

I've yet to observe through a newt that shows such a sharp and perfectly collimated image with such ease and consistency, especially with increasing magnification, and I've used and owned Zambuto mirrors.

Not to mention the fact that you have no central obstruction from a secondary or diffraction spikes...

If I had the money I sure would enjoy that view!

---
Michael Mc

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
      #5667592 - 02/07/13 06:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Because they can...

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
      #5668795 - 02/08/13 11:36 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Without going into the specifics of both instruments or their cost, you need to realize that for a given size exit pupil, the image with a binoviewer is only going to be half as bright as in a binoscope.

So at least on that parameter, take "outperform" with a grain of salt. However there are obviously very many other parameters that come into play in what somebody would call "performance".

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

#5670313 - 02/09/13 08:54 AM

Quote:

Quote:

take any binocular (or optics) ever mentioned on CNs,
someone would think that it was a waste of money,
either too expensive or too cheap for their tastes

we are a diverse group
edj

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: 12" Binocular Telescope on Refractors new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5671227 - 02/09/13 07:06 PM

Quote:

take any binocular (or optics) ever mentioned on CNs,
someone would think that it was a waste of money,
either too expensive or too cheap for their tastes

we are a diverse group
edj

Isn't that the truth, and thankfully so. What works best for one person doesn't necessarily fit the bill for the next. Thanks for that reminder!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
14 registered and 34 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3141

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics