Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: Nitrogen filled verses non-nitrogen binos new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5654767 - 01/31/13 05:46 PM

Big respect for that, Kenny. I have a good fraction of my savings invested in North American NG pipes. It's a great industry. I used to have BP as well, before the accident....

Very interesting to read your comments on purging pipe. I imagine those considerations are big-time important before you contemplate putting an acetylene torch to a pipe that had pressurized, flammable substances flowing through it!

Edited by Jarrod (01/31/13 05:50 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
KennyJ
The British Flash

Reged: 04/27/03

Loc: Lancashire UK
Re: Nitrogen filled verses non-nitrogen binos new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5654896 - 01/31/13 07:01 PM

Thank you,Jarrod.

As you implied,it's ONE thing sitting around well crafted tables in plush surroundings,wearing expensive suits,drinking fine coffee from the best china cups,TALKING about a potential problem,but it can be somewhat different out on the front line,freezing private parts off or sweating like a pig,heart beating like a drum,whilst actually putting the theories into practice,knowing that any mistake can literally spell the end of existence for more than just yourself.

Of course,repairing binoculars is not quite such a potential "life and death" profession,but again,there are far fewer people who actually carry out the work professionally than there are who seem to enjoy speculating about it!

Kenny

BillC
on a new path

Reged: 06/04/04

Loc: Lake Stevens, WA, USA
Re: Nitrogen filled verses non-nitrogen binos new [Re: KennyJ]
      #5654916 - 01/31/13 07:13 PM

Everybody put your hands on the computer screen and say Amen!

BillC

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: Nitrogen filled verses non-nitrogen binos new [Re: BillC]
      #5655620 - 02/01/13 06:11 AM

very interesting Kenny

Jon Isaacs
Postmaster

Reged: 06/16/04

Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA
Re: Nitrogen filled verses non-nitrogen binos new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5655894 - 02/01/13 09:25 AM

A few thoughts:

- Bicycle inner tubes are an example of the diffusion of air through butyl rubber. A standard 700C-23 tire pumped to 120psi will lose enough pressure that it will need to be pumped up within a week or so. Bicycle tires are operating at high pressures, with large surface areas, are quite thin and the enclosed volume is relatively small.

- Binoculars are quite a different situation. There is very little pressure differential driving the diffusion, there may be none. I suspect Jarrod is correct, the reason for the purging is to dry the internals of the binoculars, the purpose of the O-Rings is the prevent moisture from entering the binoculars.

In my line of work, when I want something to be really dry, I hook it up to a vacuum pump and pull it down to micron levels...

Jon

Binojunky
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/25/10

Re: Nitrogen filled verses non-nitrogen binos new [Re: Jon Isaacs]
      #5656378 - 02/01/13 01:33 PM

Talking about sealing stuff, a few years back I pulled apart a VW air cooled motor and the cylinder head mated to the cylinder barrels with no gasket of any sort, not sure of the PSI when the piston was a TDC but it worked.DA.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
6 registered and 26 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3748

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics