Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoculars

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
hallelujah
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/14/06

Loc: North Star over Colorado
Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: RichD]
      #5699670 - 02/25/13 11:16 AM

When it comes to the very best binoculars some of them are 'rated' very close to one another.

Here's just one example:

http://www.optyczne.pl/ranking_optyczne_pl-ranking_lornetek-10x50.html

Based upon price, which one would you buy?

Stan

Edited by hallelujah (02/25/13 11:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
kcolter
sage

Reged: 06/04/03

Loc: Missouri, USA
Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: ronharper]
      #5699698 - 02/25/13 11:28 AM

Ron's words above really resonate for me. That feeling one gets from a splendid look at the night sky, be it with the 1X7s, a good binocular, or through the telescope goes much higher on my list than most of the "things of Baal." One doesn't have to spend a lot of money (although I have) to experience the feeling. Whitman's phrases, "broad, expanded, broad with the haughty breadth of the universe" and "I am he that walks with the tender and growing night" come to mind. As to the things of Baal, I once had a small college football coach tell me how fortunate I was to have a chance to play "the great game", which he placed third on the list behind watermelon and "that other stuff." I would move the view of a great sky through good optics far ahead of watermelon.

DarkDisplay
sage

Reged: 12/21/10

Loc: Texas
Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: hallelujah]
      #5699720 - 02/25/13 11:43 AM

Personally, if I had the money to buy any of those listed, I'd choose the Nikon AE 10x50 (13th on the list). The rest of the money could be used for gas to travel to dark sky sites.

Best wishes,
Frank

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: DarkDisplay]
      #5699733 - 02/25/13 11:52 AM

Quote:

Personally, if I had the money to buy any of those listed, I'd choose the Nikon AE 10x50 (13th on the list).

It certainly is an outlier compared to its neighbors as you scan down the price column (as is the Fuji). I agree with you - my AE 12x50s arrive today.

Mr. Bill
Postmaster

Reged: 02/09/05

Loc: Northeastern Cal
      #5699734 - 02/25/13 11:52 AM

Quote:

When it comes to the very best binoculars some of them are 'rated' very close to one another.

Here's just one example:

Stan

Uhhhhh....Hummmm....

RichD
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/08/07

Loc: Derbyshire, UK
Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: Mr. Bill]
      #5699869 - 02/25/13 01:39 PM

Stan - I'd still go for the Fuji.

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: RichD]
      #5699889 - 02/25/13 01:54 PM

Quote:

Stan - I'd still go for the Fuji.

Rich,

I think many of us would follow that line of thinking.

Stan

plyscope
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Perth, West Australia
      #5700132 - 02/25/13 04:04 PM

I went for the Docter Nobilem because of the centre focus, but I admit the Fuji is very appealing (for astro only).

George9
sage

Reged: 12/11/04

#5700152 - 02/25/13 04:13 PM

I think there are a couple of hobbies mixed together: visual astronomy, equipment tinkering, and equipment collection, and your decsion for this question will be affected by which of those you enjoy. Coin collectors and stamp collectors rarely use their acquistions for the intended purposes. In astronomy, we get to both collect and use.

I can understand the quest for perfection assuming you stay within your budget, and I can also understand the quest for the best inexpensive binocular, and also just using whatever happens to be around and spending your energy on the sky (in which case you are probably not reading this forum).

George

hfjacinto
I think he's got it!

Reged: 01/12/09

Loc: Land of clouds and LP
Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: George9]
      #5700200 - 02/25/13 04:30 PM

I only have 1 binocular. I own the 15 by 50MM Canon IS binoculars. After looking through the Canon's nothing else compared. They were expensive but I think they are truly worth it. So in my case I went super premiun and am happy I did.

ngc 9999

Reged: 08/13/12

Loc: Sunrise, Fl. 26 degrees N
Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: hfjacinto]
      #5700646 - 02/25/13 09:48 PM

In my case I'd go for the improvement/cost ratio, spending enough to get what I'm after, but not spending too much as to not get a significant improvement.

steve@37n83.9w
sage

Reged: 01/20/11

Loc: Kentucky
      #5700725 - 02/25/13 10:44 PM

Quote:

Here's just one example:

Stan

Stan

Interesting list since it compares one of the most popular configurations (10x50) for astronomy use. Like most binoholics I frequent the allbinos site and find results/findings interesting because it kind of gives you some idea of how various binoculars compare optically and to a certain extent ergonomically although ergonomics are obviously more subjective in nature.

The thing such sites don't give enough credence to in my opinion is mechanical reliability/durability. I understand this quality would be hard to test but to me at least this quality is just as important as the view provided by the binocular. If you took many of the Chinese binoculars that almost do as well optically they would fall well short of the premium binoculars in longevity, especially if subjected to heavy use.

Certainly nothing wrong with buying the better Chinese binoculars.....I just think those who base their purchases on reviews from sites such as allbinos should remember that just because they're rated 90% as good optically it doesn't mean they're 90% as durable as the premium Japanese/European offerings.

Steve

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: steve@37n83.9w]
      #5701315 - 02/26/13 10:07 AM

Quote:

The thing such sites don't give enough credence to in my opinion is mechanical reliability/durability.
I understand this quality would be hard to test but to me at least this quality is just as important as the view provided by the binocular.
If you took many of the Chinese binoculars that almost do as well optically they would fall well short of the premium binoculars in longevity, especially if subjected to heavy use.

Steve

Steve,

Reliability/durability

I have been purchasing/collecting new & used binoculars since 2005.
Some of my used binoculars were manufactured back in the 1970's or 1980's.

Out of all my binoculars only two have been sent back to the distributors/manufacturers repair shop for warranty work.

One was sent back, more than once, because the distributor/manufacturers repair shop screwed it up
when they were working on it and they never corrected their error.
I eventually gave it away to someone in the binocular repair business.

The other one was sent in, under warranty, to tweak the collimation & the right diopter adjustment settings
to manufacturer specifications, to correct a factory error.

I did return two, brand new, Giant Chinese imports to the distributor because of factory Quality Control issues, etc.

Reliability/durability problems are the least of my concerns.

The majority of my issues, with binoculars, have centered around alignment/collimation, mainly associated with
the purchase of 'used' binoculars.
Some of the collimation problems could have been a result of rough shipping and handling.

Stan

steve@37n83.9w
sage

Reged: 01/20/11

Loc: Kentucky
      #5701971 - 02/26/13 04:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The thing such sites don't give enough credence to in my opinion is mechanical reliability/durability.
I understand this quality would be hard to test but to me at least this quality is just as important as the view provided by the binocular.
If you took many of the Chinese binoculars that almost do as well optically they would fall well short of the premium binoculars in longevity, especially if subjected to heavy use.

Steve

Steve,

Reliability/durability

I have been purchasing/collecting new & used binoculars since 2005.
Some of my used binoculars were manufactured back in the 1970's or 1980's.

Out of all my binoculars only two have been sent back to the distributors/manufacturers repair shop for warranty work.

One was sent back, more than once, because the distributor/manufacturers repair shop screwed it up
when they were working on it and they never corrected their error.
I eventually gave it away to someone in the binocular repair business.

The other one was sent in, under warranty, to tweak the collimation & the right diopter adjustment settings
to manufacturer specifications, to correct a factory error.

I did return two, brand new, Giant Chinese imports to the distributor because of factory Quality Control issues, etc.

Reliability/durability problems are the least of my concerns.

The majority of my issues, with binoculars, have centered around alignment/collimation, mainly associated with
the purchase of 'used' binoculars.
Some of the collimation problems could have been a result of rough shipping and handling.

Stan

Stan

Like you I use/collect used binoculars with over twenty used binoculars (mostly Japanese circa 1960-1970s). Most of them just needed a thorough cleaning and when disassembled the workmanship and build quality is self evident. One of these binoculars (9x35 7.3* Nikon J Pat.) is one of the sharpest binoculars (on axis) that I have ever looked through.

I think the durability/reliability of a binocular or its mechanical build quality is very closely related to issues such as collimation. I've found the better built/designed binoculars are much more prone to maintain collimation in the case of an inadvertent drop or deliberate rough handling....and of course it goes without saying that premium binoculars will at least be in collimation before being shipped out to the consumer.

Steve

Jarrod
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/20/13

Loc: SE USA
      #5702289 - 02/26/13 07:05 PM

As old as those good designs are, you'd think the Chinese would be able to copy them better without fear of intellectual property violations (do they have such fears?) as certainly the patents have expired by now.

I've only been at the astro thing for a couple of months and already had bad luck with collimation/alignment on two brand new binoculars, a Pentax 20x60 PCF WPII (somewhat surprising), and a Celestron Skymaster (not surprising). It has made me a bit paranoid.

hallelujah
Post Laureate

#5702299 - 02/26/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

One of these binoculars (9x35 7.3* Nikon J Pat.) is one of the sharpest binoculars (on axis) that I have ever looked through.

Steve

Steve,

I recently purchased two Japanese Nikon Nippon Kogaku K.K. 7x35 Gold Sentinel 9.3* wide field binoculars, late 1980's vintage.
(1986 literature/instruction & specification sheets) One was new and the other one was used.

I spent a little time with both, in my backyard, looking at airplanes, birds, squirrels, trees.
Sharpness was very impressive considering the fact that I was viewing without my eyeglasses,
just to see how they performed.

I had the 'used' 7x35 outside, the other evening, and the moon was very sharp & stars were just a little off because of the astigmatism
in both eyes. (no eyeglasses)

I am very happy and more than satisfied with the performance & build quality of mine. Both were still collimated.

Stan

Edited by hallelujah (02/26/13 07:14 PM)

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: Jarrod]
      #5702315 - 02/26/13 07:22 PM

Quote:

I've only been at the astro thing for a couple of months and already had bad luck with collimation/alignment on two brand new binoculars, a Pentax 20x60 PCF WPII (somewhat surprising), and a Celestron Skymaster (not surprising). It has made me a bit paranoid.

Jarrod,

Just hang in there & keep your fingers crossed.

Misfortune has a way of touching all of us, at one time or another, when it comes to binocular gremlins.

Once you get a good one you will give a sigh of relief and you will be happy that you patiently endured.

Stan

Jawaid I. Abbasi
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 06/19/07

Loc: LEVITTOWN, PA
      #5702353 - 02/26/13 07:50 PM

Stan..... you are 100% correct and very informative.

hallelujah
Post Laureate

Re: Bang for the buck vs premium binocular keeper new [Re: Jawaid I. Abbasi]
      #5702354 - 02/26/13 07:52 PM

Thanks Jawaid.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
      #5702708 - 02/26/13 11:36 PM

"
As old as those good designs are, you'd think the Chinese would be able to copy them better without fear of intellectual property violations (do they have such fears?) as certainly the patents have expired by now."

FWIW the Chinese don't always have to copy exising designs. They will build to the total quality the importer/original buyer is willing to spend on. I have a couple of high quality Chinese built binos, an 8x42 rooie that is excellent and a 7x50 porro built to military specs that is as rugged as almost any bino I have ever seen in this size.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
10 registered and 19 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Knuklhdastrnmr, WOBentley 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4813

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics