Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5240352 - 05/26/12 09:09 AM

Quote:

So if yours have diopters... are you sure it's only 3 elements?

I don't know how many elements they have. Have I said something about that? I can't remember! That's not to say that I haven't!

All I know is that they perform as if there wasn't anything in there at all, except a magical window into space itself.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5240362 - 05/26/12 09:16 AM

You haven't actually said "3 elements" but Scott99 and Stephan refer to 3 elements. I know there is a 3 element version but I would imagine it doesn't have a diopter.

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
      #5240399 - 05/26/12 09:56 AM

Quote:

You haven't actually said "3 elements" but Scott99 and Stephan refer to 3 elements. I know there is a 3 element version but I would imagine it doesn't have a diopter.

I thought the APM ones were the same optics regardless of whether they focus or not, but there's no way to confirm it for these old ones. Some of them might be a different design.

Nice report Thomas! sounds like some good planetary seeing. Mars is getting so small and close to the horizon it's just about over this time I'm afraid.

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
      #5240823 - 05/26/12 02:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So if yours have diopters... are you sure it's only 3 elements?

I don't know how many elements they have. Have I said something about that? I can't remember! That's not to say that I haven't!

All I know is that they perform as if there wasn't anything in there at all, except a magical window into space itself.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

This discussion desperately needs some pictures

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Scott99]
      #5240849 - 05/26/12 03:07 PM

Quote:

I thought the APM ones were the same optics regardless of whether they focus or not, but there's no way to confirm it for these old ones. Some of them might be a different design.

There are definitely different designs. I don't know the number of elements in mine, but I do think they *might* be a four-element, three-group 1-2-1 König variant, kept to 50° AFOV. This would explain the very good correction and the huge eye lens. I can't say for sure, since the lenses are so phenomenally well polished and coated that I can't see them inside the housing (!!!) when looking from the field stop side, but I can try to count the visible recesses inside the housing, where there might be a lens... I seem to be able to count three such recesses. The field stop is 22mm wide, while the eye lens is 30mm wide!

I honestly can't see the glass. It's an unreal feeling. There's a row of tiny and faint reflection, seemingly floating in mid air, otherwise there's nothing the eye can see. Truly remarkable.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

tomcody
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/06/08

Loc: Titusville, Florida
      #5240898 - 05/26/12 03:42 PM

I believe in another thread ( taking apart an Ethos or Delos I think?) someone used a small green laser shined into the eyepiece to reveal the different lenses.
Rex

Edited by tomcody (05/26/12 03:45 PM)

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: tomcody]
      #5240937 - 05/26/12 04:06 PM

Quote:

someone used a small green laser shined into the eyepiece to reveal the different lenses.

Excellent idea! I tried just that a minute ago and my wild guess about the König 1-2-1 design was correct!! It *may* also be a 1-3-1 design, I can't say for sure. I can't see how many lenses the internal element consists of, but it's pretty thick.

To the impatient: I am unable to upload photos right now. I have tried several times and get error messages all the time. File size is 131 and 150 kb, so that's not it. I think it's a temporary CN server error.

Deprecated: Function ereg_replace() is deprecated in /usr/www/users/cloudyweb/photopost/pp-inc.php on line 1067

is all I get.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Tamiji Homma
Post Laureate

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: California, USA
      #5241226 - 05/26/12 07:58 PM

Quote:

I think that the diopter adjustment is more like fine helical focuser mechanism. The photo below is Zeiss/TMB 25mm 3 element eyepiece. As Thomas describes, it is very fine eyepiece. My best lunar, Jupiter observation was with this eyepiece, Baader 4x FFC and MarkV binoviewer.

Here is photo, left side is max plus diopter, right is max minus:

Left max plus, right center:

It has beautiful coatings, eye guard off. OK, I need to clean

Tammy

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Tamiji Homma]
      #5241687 - 05/27/12 02:57 AM

Hi Tammy

Beautiful eyepieces. Here are some pictures of mine. I was finally successful in uploading the pictures.

Here's a picture of them in the Baader Maxbright. Notice the large eyelenses. Verrry comfortable. No pinhole peeping here, no.

Here the modular construction is shown, with the rightmost eyepiece fully assembled and the leftmost with 1.25" barrel and adjustable eyeguard removed. The 1.25" barrel attaches to the housing with a finely machined threaded collar. The white thing on the housing is a locking mechanism for the diopter adjustment. The gray button on the eyeguard is a click-stop locking mechanism for adjusting the height of the eyeguard. I find the eyeguards to be too tall, even in the lowest setting and prefer to observe without them. I am currently looking for something with which to replace them.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5241691 - 05/27/12 03:00 AM

Thanks for the photos! Oh OK, so is the diopter just moving the entire lens assembly up and down inside the housing? I guess it could still be 3 elements...

suburbanskies
sage

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New Jersey, USA
      #5241895 - 05/27/12 09:42 AM

It appears to be the same as these Zeiss eps, marketed as 27mm eps by BW Optik:

Zeiss advertisement from BW Optik

Scott99
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/07

Loc: New England
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: suburbanskies]
      #5242063 - 05/27/12 11:34 AM

Quote:

Zeiss advertisement from BW Optik

cool! I love the action shot of the medical guy in the background. These ep's are a great way to get top-quality Zeiss optics for less money than the hyped-up ZAO & ZAOII. I would love to try the Zeiss 10mm micro eyepiece too.

Here is another good resource for tracking down micro eyepieces:

http://spectraservices2.com/UEYEZEISS.html

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5242132 - 05/27/12 12:22 PM

Quote:

They are the same. Look how close my guess was as to what the design looked like!

But if they're marked 10x, then why 27mm focal length? Does Zeiss use a non-standard focal length on some of their microscopes? I'll try to compare them with my 25mm UO's and my 28mm orthos.

http://www.bw-optik.de/katalog/bilder/zeiss_oberknochen.jpg

I like their description. It matches my own experience perfectly. I had a suspicion that they were something special, but that they were this special, I had no idea.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #5242176 - 05/27/12 12:47 PM

OK, Thomas perhaps they are fine polish but are they also multicoated for astro observing?

suburbanskies
sage

#5242189 - 05/27/12 12:56 PM

I really have no idea why BW Optik calls them 27mm eps. I wonder if Erik's 27mm is the same?

In any event, my pair is the same as Patrick's. I purchased them second hand from a friendly German astronomer and they are my favorite. I wish there were other Zeiss microscope eyepieces just as good (and of reasonable price) but I have had no luck so far. I recently tried a pair of the current Zeiss 16mm eps and they were not of the same performance level. But that is another story....

Aren't you glad you decided to buy these

Mark

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: ewave]
      #5242284 - 05/27/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

OK, Thomas perhaps they are fine polish but are they also multicoated for astro observing?

Are you kidding me? I can't even see the glass in there!

No, seriously, I can see a few dust specks and a few reflections from my livingroom lamp, seemingly floating in midair, but I can't see the glass surface of the field lens. The coatings are that good. I can see the eye lens a little better, but that is because of the dust it inevitably collects and the fact that it lies closer to open air and can be harsher illuminated.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5242293 - 05/27/12 02:00 PM

Quote:

Aren't you glad you decided to buy these

Very much so! Best eyepieces I've ever seen (in case anyone should still be in doubt...) and a real eyeopener to me. I honestly didn't think eyepieces could get this good.

The downside is that I am now on a lifelong quest to find equal eyepieces of different focal lengths. There were a pair of 16mm Zeiss eyepieces in a different booth at ATT, but they were pretty beat up and very dirty. I didn't buy them, despite a favorable price, as I was running out of Euros.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

#5242520 - 05/27/12 04:43 PM

Quote:

While the same, they are definitely not 27mm, but 25mm, as they should be, if they are 10x microscope eyepieces. I tried to use one in the left diopter on my Baader Maxbright and a 25mm UO in the right diopter. Images were so close to identical, I could get an unproblematic merge. I could observe the image for any amount of time with no stress. There was no detectable size difference whatsoever. The only drastic difference between the images was the size of the AFOV, which was drastically larger in the Zeiss, appearing about 40% - 50% larger, though perhaps being not quite so much larger, yet definitely larger than the UO.

Only on close scrutiny did the Zeiss show a slightly sharper, cleaner image. It was subtle, but it was real. The full effect only shows up when you binoview with them.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Edited by Astrojensen (05/27/12 04:45 PM)

suburbanskies
sage

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5242588 - 05/27/12 05:37 PM

Quote:

While the same, they are definitely not 27mm, but 25mm, as they should be, if they are 10x microscope eyepieces...

Only on close scrutiny did the Zeiss show a slightly sharper, cleaner image. It was subtle, but it was real. The full effect only shows up when you binoview with them.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Interesting result. Good to know in case I get the itch to buy a backup pair of 25mm's I don't really need

I had a similar feeling after comparing my Zeiss 25mm's versus an inexpensive 25mm Plossl. A real difference to my eyes after some comparisons but probably many casual astronomers would not notice unless asked to look carefully...

Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5242652 - 05/27/12 06:24 PM

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for uploading your pictures! Glad it finally worked out.

As I suspected already from your description, these are the same eyepieces as my Zeiss. As others already mentioned here, they are 27mm focal length eyepieces, made for medical surgery.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15059

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics