Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Erik Bakker
Post Laureate

Reged: 08/10/06

Loc: The Netherlands, Europe
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: PJ Anway]
      #5941962 - 06/26/13 06:52 PM

The Diascopes I am talking about and own are the 16.7 and 12.8 mm eyepieces with an AFOV of 69 degrees. The 16.7 is NLA new, the 12.8 is still in production for use in the Zeiss Victory Diascope spotters.

The 25 mm's, which I also have, are stunners in their own way, but with an AFOV of around 52 degrees. These are older Zeiss microscope eyepieces. They work very well in a bino, as they were designed to do.

Hope this clarifies.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: Erik Bakker]
      #5942285 - 06/26/13 10:58 PM

I have the 12.8 mm and 25-6 mm zoom Diascopes, both of which are still available with Zeiss adapters. The 12.8 mm is remarkable. The zoom is very nice also, but as all zooms are, a bit of a compromise. You can only optimize a zoom for one focal length and all the other focal lengths will be compromises. But the zoom range is unbelievable. 1/4 inch to 1 inch with the twist of the barrel. Very nice.

chrisg
sage

Reged: 02/15/09

Re: Best 25mm eyepieces ever! new [Re: RodgerHouTex]
      #5943131 - 06/27/13 01:36 PM

Quote:

I bought one for $500 with the APM adapter a year and a half ago and they really are junk. No better than some $50 eyepieces I have. As bright as the field is, I doubt they are even coated. Lots of field curvature. And yes they are the E-PL version. Stock number is 44 42 32.

Interesting...seems like there's a lot of variation among the eyepieces..
All the Zeiss micro eyepieces I've had obvious AR coating, and the E-PL's were clearly flatter field than my PL's. I've been scanning the auctions on that big auction site and there really does seem to be lots of variations..
None have been quite as well made as the Diascope eyepieces though!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 15060

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics