Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Daniel Guzas
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/20/10

Loc: Bethlehem NH/ Boston MA
Re: Ok here we go again. Low power eyepiece advice new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5536215 - 11/23/12 08:27 PM

Quote:

24mm 68 deg AFOV are the widest 1.25" eyepieces.
Dual power switch (and 1x focal reducer swith) would be next best investment (and give lowest 1x power pushing your eyepieces to their normal limit).
Multipurpose OCS (and 1x power reducer) would provide wider views (and wider TFOV (beyond eyepiece limit and reduce effective aperture at <1x with "1x" focal reducer).

Enjoy your new eyepieces when they arrive.

Where do I find the 1x power reducer switch? Do they have these on the denk website? I haven't seen this listed.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: Ok here we go again. Low power eyepiece advice new [Re: Daniel Guzas]
      #5537549 - 11/24/12 05:08 PM

They are listed in the denk assesories, and look either like the single power switch (or paying extra for the dual reducer/mulpiplier power switch). I mostly use the reducer and open side of the power switch, but I do enjoy cycling though all 9 powers with both dual power switches. The 1x reducer power switch screws in front the the normal power switch, and I always keep the system screwed on together, and just uses powerswithces if viewing for a short time (and or swap OCSs or eyepieces if viewing for a longer time).

For details contact Russ at Denkmeier. Russ used to have a document for both 1x reducer switch and 45mm clear aperture Multipurpose OCS, but took these off his site.

thesubwaypusher
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 07/08/04

Loc: New York City
Re: Ok here we go again. Low power eyepiece advice new [Re: Mike B]
      #5538122 - 11/25/12 12:44 AM

Quote:

Good point, Chris. And the corollary point is the focus on aperture. Considering LESS aperture is generally NOT the trend in these forums but i have to relate a stunning revelation i had a while back:

I was enjoying a new-to-me StellarView F80 achromat 'fractor, billed as a "finderscope", which i actually USED as a quick-peek scope on a photo-tripod. It was a 300mm FL, so F3.75... not a "planetary" arrangement by ANY stretch of the imagination, yet was delightful on deepsky! Light as the proverbial feather, too, tho strictly "mono".

One time i took this F80 out to an observing site deep in a CSC "blue" zone. These were seriously dark skies! Imagine my shock to see the "Flame Nebula" in Orion (NGC 2024) clearly & distinctly in this li'l 'fractor!... a nebula generally VERY dim & obscure even in aperture from suburban skies.

So Chris's suggestion is an excellent one... if one were willing to BV such a scope from truly dark skies. Now, mounting such a scope with the huge weight of a BVer off the tail end might pose a challenge... and the li'l Tak would view sharp to the edge, whereas a less expensive 3-4" achromat might not be so pretty.... all the way to the edges, anyway.

So here, again, are more trade-offs to consider.

Wide + Deep + Sharp + Affordable...
-pick any three.

Thanks Mike:

I have a Stellarvue F50 on my 12" LX200 and one on my Edge HD11" and I love them. I have the mounting tube somewhere for the purposes of doing what you did under really dark skies, but I just can't get to them. The convenience of these tiny scopes is outrageous and one can have a lot of fun with it as long as he does not expect miracles.

Thanks, Chris

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557, Joe C 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1958

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics