Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Mauikj

Reged: 06/08/08

Loc: Maui, Hawaii, USA
Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5761727 - 03/28/13 04:19 AM

Can't wait to see what you think, Johnny....I think you will be impressed!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5762727 - 03/28/13 05:03 PM

Quote:

Spoke to Russ and I'm on the list. I can't wait.

E-mail from Brown says Monday.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5764243 - 03/29/13 11:05 AM

Quote:

Mine shipped today!

Do you know what your order number is? I'm on the list and still waiting (2094).

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: mich_al]
      #5765580 - 03/29/13 07:27 PM

I don't know the order number Al. but Russ said he is starting to ship out orders from January/Feb. Some are a little out of order depending on whether a filter switch was ordered or a OC45, etc. All I know is, it should be worth the wait! Although I posted here that I "pulled the trigger" in Februaryy mine was actually ordered a few weeks before that, sometime in the beginning of January...

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5774283 - 04/02/13 10:07 PM

Just got my B27 today but I am packing to go to TX for a week so I don't think I'll have a chance to check it out until I get back.

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

#5775375 - 04/03/13 11:45 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Spoke to Russ and I'm on the list. I can't wait.

E-mail from Brown says Monday.

Got mine and a preliminary report using my APM 6" F8 triplet.

The Good:

1. Wonderfully made, love the rubber coating.
2. Light weight, much appreciated
3. Wonderful coatings
4. Cool collimation feature
5. Deeper collet allows eyepieces with longer barrels to sit flush with top.
6. Best for last, very sharp, no tint differences between R/L.

Not so good:
1. Requires ~ 10mm more backfocus due to collimation feature. Bad for my APM 152 F8, can't get to focus sans OCS with power switch attached.
2. Speaking of the power switch, arms are very stiff and when using sans OCS with refractors, barlow side has annoying "glow" at focus. Older version switches do not. Glow eliminated with OCS so new switch can only be used with OCS, a limitation.
3. Two inch nose piece on new switch is longer than old one and with OCS attached, entire viewer sticks up out of diagonal ~10mm. Not good.

So, a mixed impression so far. More later.

Jeff

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5776959 - 04/04/13 02:26 AM

Jeff - I believe the PowerSwitch is not designed to be used without the OCS - it requires the OCS to work. The OCS narrows the light cone so it can feed properly through the PowerSwitch lenses.

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

#5777191 - 04/04/13 09:01 AM

Well, the older version works just fine in the barlow mode on either binoviewer (can't, of course, use the reduction mode), which is expected and the newer switch behaves the same (the surrounding glow)in the Denk II as well. Also, I used it the way anyone with a SCT would use it, sans OCS. I've not tried it yet in my SCTs or Maks. However, there is a physical difference between the older and new version in the barlow element of the switch with that of the newer version having a much larger diameter.

My refractors are all "bino-friendly" and all, save the APM 6" F8, can swallow the extra 10mm of backfocus but that does limit my eyepiece selection considerable and, to me, represents a loss in capability and flexibility of the product with those scopes.

When I get the time, I'll contact Russ about this.

Jeff

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5778953 - 04/05/13 03:27 AM

Ah sorry thanks, I forgot once again the SCT does not need the OCS - but I was told that the OCS was required in my scopes. Good luck with it, I can't wait to try mine out. It's amazingly light weight for one thing.

axle01
sage

Reged: 01/26/13

Loc: Townsville Nth Qld Australia
      #5789696 - 04/10/13 07:33 AM

Just ordered mine for my UO 130 refractor, now I need to know what EP's to get,,,,any thoughts,,,,,I have to wear glasses.

Alan

Kent10
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/08/12

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: axle01]
      #5805200 - 04/17/13 06:39 PM

Hi Johnny:

I am wondering if you have had a chance to try out your new Binotron. I am anxious to hear how you think they compare to your Mark V.

Thanks!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Kent10]
      #5805359 - 04/17/13 07:58 PM

No I haven't Kent, the weather just cleared up today though. Hopefully I'll get a chance here by the weekend anyway.

Mike Harvey
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 03/01/04

Loc: Orlando, FL.
      #5805964 - 04/18/13 12:46 AM

While it's difficult to quantify the amount of (or the reason for) the increase, I've noted that DSO's do appear brighter through the Binotron than with the Denk II.
Last weekend, this was especially noticeable while observing the "Ghost of Jupiter" nebula with the 28" Starstructure. There doesn't seem to be as much "light loss".
I'm guessing that the difference has to do with the combination of the Binotron's larger clear aperture, better coatings and the new Denk 45mm OCS.
WhatEVER it is...the bar has, once again,been raised a bit!

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Kent10]
      #5814098 - 04/21/13 09:27 PM

OK I had a chance to try out the B27's last night in my 14.5" dob here in LA. Seeing conditions were pretty good, the Moon was nice and sharp up to a little over 200X. Saturn was average, I could only squeeze out a little over 150X before the image started breaking down, but there were occasional nice moments where I got a sharp view at around 200X.

My initial impression is these binoviewers are a big WOW, awesome, I think I LOVE them. Nice big bright clear sharp images with excellent contrast - I was also using the new ultimate aperture OCS-A45. Very light weight and very easy to use, the ergonomics are a cut above anything I have used before. I achieved focus at all three power settings with no adjustments to my focuser or truss tubes (but this does require a 3" drawtube). The individual diopters especially are simply fantastic. I would liken them in use to a zoom eyepiece, where the ability to dial in the image to the nth degree is a true game changer. The "set it and forget it" diopters of the Mark Vs are fine up to a point, but that does not account for tiny incremental differences between eyepiece pairs - and even the focus of my eyes themselves seem to change a tiny bit over the course of a session. The B27 diopters are perfect, just the right amount of fine focus where even 1/8 of a turn makes a slight noticeable difference. They are very fluid and the whole setup is pretty intuitive. Another great feature is the eypieces do not rotate when fine focusing which would allow for the use of batwing-style eyecups.

With my Leica Zoom I am able to dial in the perfect magnification for seeing conditions and it makes a major difference especially when viewing planets. The B27s are similar in that the simplicity of the fine focus diopters allow me to capture the absolute best focus to the nth degree, on the fly - even while looking with both eyes, I can easily adjust one side or the other and see the sharp snap into perfect focus. I had a pair of Denk IIs before and I realized how much I missed this feature, and how important it is. As I found my eyes themselves change focus very slightly throughout the evening whether from temperature changes or blood pressure or who knows what. The B27s are still for the most part "set it and forget it" but I change out eyepieces a lot and I found the individual diopters made a big difference. No matter how perfect a pair of eyepieces is made, there are still tiny differences in length between individual eyepieces that can effect the focus of the pair together. And while the eyes can accomodate to a certain extent to fine differences in focus, there is much less strain when the focus is perfect. My initial session with these binoviewers lasted well over three hours before I took a break, and seemed like only minutes because of the extreme level of comfort I experienced.

I did have an issue with my KK orthos, the barrels are about 1/3" longer then all my other eyepieces except the Nagler 13T6s, and the longer barrel knocked the eyepieces out of collimation. The instructions do make this clear that if a barrel is too long or adjusted too deeply the collimation mechanism can be nudged slightly out of alignment. So I got to learn how to collimate the B27s right away and it was easy and worked well, I was able to do it while viewing Saturn in the dark. There is a slight learning curve but again, everything is very intuitive. You simply loosen the silver collimation ring a bit and you can nudge the eyepieces up and down and back and forth in a flat plane, and you line up the target at the top and side edges. The top edge alignment is critical and the side edge you actually want a little difference for a 3D effect. It was not hard and will get super easy after a few times. The only other issue I had was the B27s were delivered with the IP adjustment too loose. This was a very simple fix, just remove the little cover and adjust with a spanner, no setscrews or anything else to worry about. I didn't have a spanner but with two small screwdrivers the adjustment was very easy and made in seconds. As for the longer barrels of the KKs I added some o-rings to parfocalize them and now they work fine. All my other eyepieces worked fine even the new 18mm Hutech HCs.

Overall I give this an A+, everything seems to be absolutely first rate quality and after a slight learning curve they are very simple to use. I did not have a chance to compare them to my MkVs yet but optically they were fantastic, contrast was breathtaking and I felt like I saw more detail on the Moon than I have ever seen before, the detail in the craters in particular was simply astonishing and I attribute a lot of this to the individual diopter fine focus and of course the 1/8 wave+ prisms with beautiful coatings. Overall an excellent job by Russ and co. at Denkmeier, kudos for a beautiful all-American made binoviewer!

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
      #5814387 - 04/21/13 11:14 PM

Quote:

The only other issue I had was the B27s were delivered with the IP adjustment too loose. This was a very simple fix, just remove the little cover and adjust with a spanner, no setscrews or anything else to worry about. I didn't have a spanner but with two small screwdrivers the adjustment was very easy and made in seconds.

Mine have the same problem, they steadily close while I'm viewing. How does the little cap come off? Is it the cap that says 'Denkmeier' in the middle on top?

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: mich_al]
      #5814392 - 04/21/13 11:19 PM

Yes, the little cap on the back (eyepiece) side. I just unscrewed mine with my fingers Al. The adjustment only required about 1/8 turn. You could probably do it with a dime.

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #5814486 - 04/22/13 12:43 AM

Quote:

With my Leica Zoom I am able to dial in the perfect magnification for seeing conditions ...

So are you getting a second one ?

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Daud]
      #5814528 - 04/22/13 01:30 AM

No I won't be using the Leica ASPH for the binos, I don't like too much weight or length added to my binoviewers, I prefer orthos. Last night I used the 24 Pans, 32 and 24 Brandons, 25 KKs, 16 ZAO-IIs and 18 KKs and HCs. Best view was provided with the 24 Brandons.

I cannot tell you how lucky and pleased I am to have the B27s with excellent orthos, and then the Leica Zoom for mono viewing which I also use with and without a Zeiss Abbe 2X barlow. Other than my 31T5 and occasionally my 13E this is all that I feel I need.

Daud
sage

Reged: 08/05/06

Loc: AZ, Scottsdale
      #5814538 - 04/22/13 01:42 AM

Hmm, 24 Pans, 24 Brandons, 16 ZAO-IIs..
Binotron here in couple days, how the Brandons bested Pans or ZAOs ?

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Daud]
      #5814542 - 04/22/13 01:44 AM

The ZAOs were not necessarily bested but they were too much power for conditions last night. I also found once again that the Brandons displayed less scatter on Saturn. The Pans are nice but the Brandons are clearly better on axis and show a darker background and much flatter field. I like the Pans though for DSOs and for giving me the widest possible field. All eyepieces were sharp to the edge in the B27s/OCS-A45.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7922

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics