Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5814568 - 04/22/13 02:26 AM

It will be interesting how Binotron 27 will performs vs Mark V, that is what many peoples waiting for, but in my opinion, because Mark V have 2mm larger clear aperture, and ZEISS optics, will be slightly better, so we waiting for results

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: denis0007dl]
      #5814576 - 04/22/13 02:36 AM

I wouldn't be so sure Denis. The Mk V is 28mm clear aperture (+1mm) but only 24mm when using a glasspath compensator, which is recommended for best correction. The Zeiss optics are fantastic but I also think the new B27 prisms are fantastic, 1/8 wave+ with beautiful coatings. I could not believe the level of detail I was seeing on the Moon last night, just stunning. Particularly inside the craters, there were levels of contrast that even the MkVs I do not remember providing, the detail was astonishing. One thing I know for sure is the easy individual diopter adjustment on the fly, while viewing, makes the B27s clearly better both ergonomically and optically. I will be first reaching for the B27s first from now on, no doubt, I realized that within the first half hour of use. I also did not mention but they provide a very nice cool neutral tone similar to the MkVs. I can't believe how much cheaper they are than the MkVs especially when you add on the additional cost of the glasspath compensators and newtonian OCS/Barcon ($2000+), the B27s are almost 1/2 the price. And on top of that the B27s weigh considerably less.

denis0007dl
sage

#5814589 - 04/22/13 02:50 AM

Actually Mark V have 2mm more clear aperture, Binotron 27 have 26mm CA, that is what wrote on Denk site, prisms are 27mm, but CA is 26, on Mark V prisms are 30mm, and CA 28mm.
Anyway, it will be interesting to put them on high power test with with same eyepieces on same scope, and of course, test on DSO with marginal seeing.
You have opportunity to do that first, so you are lucky, and we expect detailed review
Best!

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5814599 - 04/22/13 03:18 AM

Ah thanks for the correction Denis! Yes it should be very interesting and fun... I am also interested in how the B27s come to focus on my FS152 w/ FT3545 focuser. I can reach focus at 1X with the MkVs with 1/2" to spare, using the 1.25" T2 prism diagonal - I expect to reach focus at all three B27 PowerxSwitch settings with my 2" Zeiss prism diagonal (OCS attached to the nosepiece) but I cannot be sure until I try.

denis0007dl
sage

#5814618 - 04/22/13 03:58 AM

It will be interesting comapre them without correctors, but problem will be to reach focus on some scopes, that is why I cut my tube, put bigger secondary, install low profile focusser, and I am able to reach focus without GPCs.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5814620 - 04/22/13 04:00 AM

Johnny you're killing me, I have been waiting forever it seems. I got to stay away from here until they finally get shipped.

Eric

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5814658 - 04/22/13 05:11 AM

Hang on Eric, it'll be worth the wait!

Kent10
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 05/08/12

#5815079 - 04/22/13 11:52 AM

Thanks Johnny for the great 1st light report.

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5816472 - 04/22/13 10:21 PM

Quote:

It will be interesting comapre them without correctors, but problem will be to reach focus on some scopes, that is why I cut my tube, put bigger secondary, install low profile focusser, and I am able to reach focus without GPCs.

To reach focus at 1X with my Binotron 27s in my FS152 would require getting a Powerswitch to T2 adapter from Precise Parts, and attaching the B27s directly to my 1.25" Baader/Zeiss prism diagonal a la the Baader Maxbrights, and I think I might get it with 1 or 2mm to spare. It's do-able but I think I'll be pretty happy if I can get the 1.3X using the conventional Denk setup with the OCS screwed into the nose of my 2" prism diagonal.

Hmm, I just "built" the part at precise Parts and it only cost $89. OK I ordered it, should be interesting. I may need to use the little thin Baader rings to make sure I get the correct orientation of the B27s but it's pretty straightforward. There might be clearance issues with the PowerSwitch, I hope I'll be able to get the diagonal seated all the way in... I'll eyeball it later though and see, probly should have done that before ordering...

denis0007dl
sage

#5816743 - 04/23/13 01:57 AM

The only regluar testing will be without any GPCs, and with same scope and eyepieces.
Hope that you will be able to do that

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#5817175 - 04/23/13 10:50 AM

Johhny:

When you get the chance, can you try the binotron out, no OCS, but with the newer power switch attached using the barlow portion of the switch. You should be able to reach focus. It's about a 2.5X barlow effect.

Jeff

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5817328 - 04/23/13 12:10 PM

I'll try it Jeff but as far as I understand, with my dob or refractor, the OCS is required for the PowerSwitch to function properly.

junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
      #5817877 - 04/23/13 04:05 PM

Johnny, Jeff is correct! The Barlow "Slider" essentially acts as an OCS would in creating the needed out focus that's being eaten up by the added optical path of the Binoviewers.
I used this trick on a C6R once when I forgot the OCS at home.

Mike

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: junomike]
      #5818992 - 04/24/13 12:16 AM

Well it doesn't hurt to try... I mean, I believe you Jeff, it certainly should work with the barlow switch, just never tried it before... If we can just get some decent weather here, it's been cold and damp for days.

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: junomike]
      #5819425 - 04/24/13 10:12 AM

Quote:

Johnny, Jeff is correct! The Barlow "Slider" essentially acts as an OCS would in creating the needed out focus that's being eaten up by the added optical path of the Binoviewers.
I used this trick on a C6R once when I forgot the OCS at home.

Mike

Exactly. All of my refractors are "bino-friendly" in that the OTA is short enough to allow me to reach focus using a 2" diagonal but no OCS. The barlow feature of the switch gives about 2.5X and requires about 2.5" or so of focuser travel from the non OCS position. This is very much like the older style single arm power switch, something I wish Russ would bring back (with perhaps a 1.75X) for us with "bino-viewer friendly" refractors. This is also exactly how it's used with SCTs BTW.

The new power switch provided with the binotron has a redesigned barlow element. At least on my sample, it did not work well with my refractors as described above, providing a pronounced glare off axis. I've not tried it yet with my Maks or SCTs. It works just fine with the refractors when I use it with the OCS either in the inlet to the diagonal or, my preference, in the nose of the 2" adapter for the switch (which gives slightly less magnification).

I've been in communication with Russ about this and have sent the switch back to him for evaluation but he's busy with NEAF so it may be sometime before he gets to it. It may be my particular switch or generic but I'm curious and several others have the new binotron assembly so I would appreciate any results others may have using the switch this way with refractors.

Jeff

BTW, I just got the new 2" diagonal with the dovetail feature. This reduces the light path of the diagonal a solid 1.25" or so by removing the 2" eyepiece holder and plugging the binotron and switch directly to the top of the diagonal body. Awesome. But weather is going to be socked in for the next week.

DixonAgee

Reged: 01/09/12

Loc: Northern California
      #5824812 - 04/26/13 04:32 PM

Eric -

You are not alone. I've been patiently waiting since January 18th. Just ordered the wrong extra bits, I guess.

- Bruce

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: DixonAgee]
      #5824938 - 04/26/13 05:23 PM

Jan 15 for me Bruce, with no extra bits, just 'bare bones'.
Thats all I could afford.
Eric

DixonAgee

Reged: 01/09/12

Loc: Northern California
      #5824963 - 04/26/13 05:39 PM

Ouch! You ought to check the status with an email or call.

Clear Skies

- Bruce

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: DixonAgee]
      #5824971 - 04/26/13 05:46 PM

I'm going to give him a couple of weeks to recover from NEAF and then make a polite call.

Eric

johnnyha
Postmaster

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5825640 - 04/27/13 02:55 AM

Jeff - I was able to reach focus with the barlow switch only and no OCS in my FS152, using my 2" Zeiss prism diagonal. The 4.5" drawtube of my FT3545 focuser was almost all the way out. The image looked nice on Saturn in average/below average seeing, and I tried it on the almost full moon and there were absolutely no internal reflections, the image was fantastic - but this was using 40* eyepieces, the 18mm Hutech HC orthos. I did not get a chance to try it with a larger AFOV. I would say the image was actually less than 2X though.

Using the OCS at the recommended position on the front of the diagonal I was only able to get the low and medium power settings, there was actually not enough out-focus to reach the highest power setting - but it was very close. I think if I use a 2" mirror diagonal instead of the 2" prism I may get all three powers to focus w/o an extension. I didn't get a chance to try my 2" AP Maxbright though.

Attaching the OCS to the nosepiece of the binos there was not enough in-focus, I was only able to get the high and medium settings.

The interesting thing was that the OCS in front of the diagonal gave me too much backfocus (or in-focus) - I would require an extension to get the high power, at least with the prism diagonal. It was awful close though.

As I said the seeing was average but I was again impressed with how bright and contrasty the images were with a nice neutral tone. And again these Bino27's are amazingly light and simple to use. I am so glad too they have the easy collimation feature, when properly collimated they are so utterly comfortable to use with absolutely no eye strain. If they ever do get knocked out of collimation again by a long eyepiece barrel or whatever, it's nice to know I can reset them in minutes.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
9 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7752

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics