Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
junomike
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/07/09

Loc: Ontario
Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: johnnyha]
      #5825928 - 04/27/13 09:27 AM

Quote:

The interesting thing was that the OCS in front of the diagonal gave me too much backfocus (or in-focus) - I would require an extension to get the high power, at least with the prism diagonal. It was awful close though.

I went through this as well, but with the EarthWin system on my AT111EDT. Same Issue though, not enough out travel in the "Barlow" position. If I used an extension (on the eyepiece side), the the Reducer mode didn't have enough in travel to reach focus.

What eventually worked for me was the use the OCS in the Diagonal, but placed into a 2" extension and then into the scope. With that configuration all three magnifications worked.

Mike

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/30/06

#5826330 - 04/27/13 01:31 PM

Excellent Johnny.

At his request, I sent my new powerswitch back to Russ for evaluation. He just dropped me a note saying sure enough there was a problem with the barlow lens being cocked a tiny bit in its holder. He fixed it, tested it and sent it back already. Should have it on Monday. That's real customer service!

I'm really happy with the binotron. Can't wait to try out my new dovetail diagonal.

I bet you can get to all three positions using the AP diagonal.

Jeff

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: Jeff B]
      #5827803 - 04/28/13 06:56 AM

Russ is amazingly quick with the repairs! Glad you got that sorted out Jeff. Yep I'm real happy with my B27 so far, what a gorgeous piece of kit all around.

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5834825 - 05/01/13 05:13 PM Attachment (55 downloads)

Here's a photo of the B27's by the way...

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5834829 - 05/01/13 05:14 PM Attachment (45 downloads)

And what the heck one more...

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5837516 - 05/03/13 12:15 AM

Well I got a chance to try out the B27s with the Maxbright diagonal and as any mathlete could have guessed, I was unable to achieve focus at highest power and in fact barely got it at middle power. I got it wrong - I need more backfocus. [EDIT: I actually meant LESS backfocus, or more out-travel]. So I'll order part SR from Russ which is the OCS he makes for the Maxbright diagonal to use with refractors, to achieve focus at all three powers of the Powerswitch.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/20/10

#5837669 - 05/03/13 05:28 AM

I would think that those collimating collars are eating up back focus

Nice though to be able to focus each ep on the fly though those collars look really high needing more back focus again

Thoughts Johnny?

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

Re: DENK "BINOTRON" - FIRST LIGHT new [Re: HowardK]
      #5837928 - 05/03/13 09:46 AM

Yes, the collimating collars do add about 12mm to the light path and gave me a problem using the Binotron sans OCS with one of my bino-friendly refractors.

My solution was Russ's new diagonal with the circular dovetail that lets you attach the viewer directly to the top of the diagonal body. It "gives back" or shortens the diagonal light path about 30-35MM.

I'll post pictures shortly.

Johnny, PM me as I've a spare SR.

Jeff

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5838270 - 05/03/13 12:26 PM

Quote:

I would think that those collimating collars are eating up back focus

Nice though to be able to focus each ep on the fly though those collars look really high needing more back focus again

Thoughts Johnny?

When using the OCS/Powerswitch combination with my refractor I actually have a little too much out-focus, so I don't see the collimating collars as an issue. Plus you need a certain amount of length to the eyepiece holders anyway so the barrels can clear the prisms, I think the actual collimating mechanism isn't adding much if anything to the overall length.

As I noted earlier though, if the barrels are really long like my KK orthos and 13T6s then they will need to be parfocalized a bit shorter so as not to interfere with the collimating mechanism.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5838276 - 05/03/13 12:29 PM

Yes ...the dovetail connector is a lifesaver...but too difficult with mine to loosen and rotate the position of the binos...so i had PRECISE PARTS make a T2 male connector on a dovetail connector ....... with a BAADER T2 bayonet attached...means the dovetail stays put in my DENK POWERSWITCH and i just loosen the bayonet thumbscrew to rotate the binos

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5846470 - 05/07/13 07:48 PM

Received my "Part SR" from Jeff B today in excellent condition, AND got my T2 connecter from Precise Parts which would allow me to connect my 1.25" Baader/Zeiss T2 Prism directly to the B27s a la the MkV for 1X viewing with my FS152.

And of course we have rain in the forecast!

denis0007dl
sage

Reged: 04/17/12

Loc: Croatia
      #5846729 - 05/07/13 10:02 PM

Quote:

Received my "Part SR" from Jeff B today in excellent condition, AND got my T2 connecter from Precise Parts which would allow me to connect my 1.25" Baader/Zeiss T2 Prism directly to the B27s a la the MkV for 1X viewing with my FS152.

And of course we have rain in the forecast!

We hope clear night soon

Jeff B
Carpal Tunnel

#5846772 - 05/07/13 10:26 PM

Quote:

Yes ...the dovetail connector is a lifesaver...but too difficult with mine to loosen and rotate the position of the binos...so i had PRECISE PARTS make a T2 male connector on a dovetail connector ....... with a BAADER T2 bayonet attached...means the dovetail stays put in my DENK POWERSWITCH and i just loosen the bayonet thumbscrew to rotate the binos

Can you post pictures of this assembly?

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5847905 - 05/08/13 02:30 PM Attachment (24 downloads)

Aha! I just realized the T2-07 change ring/dovetail, will attach to my new Precise Parts adapter and allow my Denk27s to not only be attached directly to my Baader/Zeiss T2 prism diagonal, but also to rotate just like the MkVs. Sweet. Here is the Precise Parts Adapter, which is B27/Denk on one side and T2 female on the other...

johnnyha
Postmaster

#5847932 - 05/08/13 02:49 PM Attachment (25 downloads)

...and here is the adapter with the T2-07 change ring/dovetail. This will screw onto the nose of the B27's with or without the PowerXSwitch and allow me to attach the 1.25" prism diagonal (or 1.7X Newtonian Corrector) directly to the B27s a la the MkV's.

I will probably use this sparingly if at all though as I'm not really excited about removing and attaching the PowerSwitch too often. But it does give me the capability to reach 1X in my refractor and to use the MkV prism diagonal.

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5848200 - 05/08/13 04:53 PM

Gotta love Ashley at precise arts

HowardK
Pooh-Bah

#5848201 - 05/08/13 04:54 PM

PRECISE PARTS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 7 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 7748

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics