Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
stevenwav
sage

Reged: 02/06/12

Loc: New England
Good Heavens!
      #5833969 - 05/01/13 09:54 AM

Picture this: A beautiful TMB 100/800, Mark V bino-viewer, a pair of TV 24 Pans, adjustable chair, clear skies. I can't picture a more pleasant, comfortable and inspiring set up as this for bino-viewing, which I had last night. Just a great evening, scanning the skies.
I would love to hear about what others have put together that best resembles bino-viewing nirvana. And of course, pics would be great!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pinbout
Postmaster

Reged: 02/22/10

Loc: nj
Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: stevenwav]
      #5834036 - 05/01/13 10:33 AM

I just pick up some WO binos, I put them in my 8in dob to look at saturn and... oh my lord, the 3d effect.

now during neaf I looked thru some binos in the solar party and wasn' really feeling it, but last night...did I already say oh my lord.

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
      #5834081 - 05/01/13 10:55 AM

Wow, that must have been a great experience with that set-up in that great scope. Did you have to use additional glass in the path like a barlow ect. to get it to focus?

I'm waiting for the clouds to part to use my new Denk11 I bought at NEAF last week and hope to get the WOW effect:)

Bob

stevenwav
sage

Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: REC]
      #5834105 - 05/01/13 11:08 AM

Hey Bob- Yes, I was using a 1.3x Glaspath corrector. I still had a sensational view of the starfields. The eyecups on the 24 pans are really comfortable so that really helped me spend more time at the lens. Besides the tremendous optics, the comfort of the chair, the ep's and the pleasant outside temp all enhanced the overall experience. I didn't have a good a view of Saturn last night but as the month goes by, I am looking forward spending some quality time with it - along with a pair of 12mm Brandons!

Junn Chavez

Reged: 02/24/09

#5834553 - 05/01/13 02:37 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Here's your scope's cousin, my razor-sharp TMB 105/650 coupled with a Zeiss microscope binoviewer. So far it's the best combo I have looked through; specially when coupled with a Lunt 2" Herschel wedge for solar observation.

Clear skies.

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Reged: 06/01/08

#5834582 - 05/01/13 02:53 PM

Sounds really nice Steven. JFYI the 1.3x is 1.2X when screwed directly into the MarkV's, so even better for widest view. On Saturn I wouldn't recomend the 2.6X GPC, or on anything else for that matter. My 2.6 has an unwanted reflection when placed before or after the prism diagonal, indeed even when used in a Denk2 bino, prooving that the reflection has nothing to do with the amaturish hole cut in the bottom of the right socket of the MarkV's. I don't think the 2.6X should ever have even been released.

Instead I highly recomend the Barcon to get up over 2 times mags with your refractor and MarkV. It is somehow more physically comfortable when viewing then moving the 1.7X(which is actually 1.5X) in towards the main lens by use of extensions and adapters to increase the mags.
You may need to use an extension to reach focus with the Barcon, thereby increasing the overall length of the assembly, a small price to pay IMHO.

Please report back when you have tried out your 100/800, MarkV's and 12mm Brandons barlowed on the Moon. All thoughts of 4 inch and smaller apos having no value with binos would be obliterated by anyone viewing through your setup. Expect 300X with no image breakdown and barely dimming. Comfortable dimming even. All in a very portable package!

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: Moonglum]
      #5834608 - 05/01/13 03:06 PM

Quote:

I don't think the 2.6X should ever have even been released.

What? My 2.6x GPC works absolutely flawlessly in my Maxbright.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

stevenwav
sage

Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: Junn Chavez]
      #5834611 - 05/01/13 03:07 PM

Sweeeeet!!!

Moonglum
professor emeritus

#5834630 - 05/01/13 03:15 PM

Also note that if you wish to add a bit of warm tone for viewing of Saturn and Jupiter(obviously not at 300X!) to your ultimate in cool tone combination, the TV plossls will not vignette when the Barcon is used at the length privided by it own extension. It will slightly vignette the TV plossls if you screw the Barcon directly into the 2 inch bayonet of the diagonal however...

stevenwav
sage

#5834632 - 05/01/13 03:15 PM

Hey Moon - I have the Barcon and will definitely try that set up. I also have the 2.6x glaspath so I can do a comparo as well. I'll up the ante on the moon view by doing another comparison between the 12mm Brandons and a pair of 12mm Claves! That is going to be something. The last time I did something like this, I compared a set of ZAOII 16mm's with a pair of CZJ 16mm's. Guess what came out on top that night?

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5834645 - 05/01/13 03:22 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I don't think the 2.6X should ever have even been released.

What? My 2.6x GPC works absolutely flawlessly in my Maxbright.

I agree wholeheartedly with Thomas - I use my 2.6 all the time with the MarkVs and the view is fantastic. In my setup, the 2.6 screws directly into the Baader diagonal followed by the quick-connect then followed by the Mark V.

R Botero
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/02/09

Loc: Kent, England
      #5834652 - 05/01/13 03:25 PM Attachment (18 downloads)

Solar heaven!...

Moonglum
professor emeritus

#5834655 - 05/01/13 03:26 PM

Yeah Thomas, the 2.6x worked OK in my Maxbrights too. In the MarkV's however, fogetta-boudit. Steven can let us know what he thinks. The reflection I see is prominant in daylight, but still present under certain conditions night time.

Moonglum
professor emeritus

#5834666 - 05/01/13 03:31 PM

Hey was there two 2.6X produced? One for MarkV's and one for Maxbrights? Maybe I am using a Maxbright 2.6X on my MarkV's? -Jeez, I hope so.

johnnyha
Postmaster

Reged: 11/12/06

Loc: Sherman Oaks, CA
      #5834808 - 05/01/13 05:03 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

I took this photo yesterday - Binotron 27s in my FS152 on Berlebach Planet/DM6. Unfortunately it fogged up by the time the sun went down!

Astrojensen
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Bornholm, Denmark
      #5834833 - 05/01/13 05:17 PM

Quote:

Hey was there two 2.6X produced? One for MarkV's and one for Maxbrights? Maybe I am using a Maxbright 2.6X on my MarkV's? -Jeez, I hope so.

The 2.6x GPC should ALWAYS be used in the T-2 DIAGONAL, not in the Mark V binoviewer, unlike the 1.25x GPC and 1.7x GPC units, which can be used in the Mark V bino. ALL the 2.6x GPC's are set up from the factory to be threaded into the T-2 diagonal instead of into the Mark V binoviewer.

You want to use it like this: Notice the orientation:

NOT like this:

This is the usual orientation for the 1.25x and 1.7x GPC in the Mark V, so I can understand your confusion.

Clear skies!
Thomas, Denmark

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: Astrojensen]
      #5835314 - 05/01/13 10:03 PM

I'm not confused. The top photo is the way I have always installed it. And in that top photo direction I have also installed it before the diagonal, also resulting in the pronounced daytime reflection. Same results in both my 80/600 and my 115/805. As I mentioned above I even got the reflection when I put the 2.6x GPC in a Denk2.

Someone else was saying just last week they saw the same reflection in their setup. We assumed it was being caused by the unsightly hole cut in both of our MarkV's right socket.

BCNGreyCat

Reged: 08/06/12

Loc: Virginia, USA
      #5835404 - 05/01/13 11:11 PM Attachment (9 downloads)

Do you mean the rectangle white spot in the eyepiece from the right side of MkV binoviewer?

Moonglum
professor emeritus

Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: BCNGreyCat]
      #5836172 - 05/02/13 12:20 PM

No, it's not that. Although that might be present in my MarkV's too, I've never looked for that.

The reflection I'm talking about is present when my eye is right down taking in the entire fov of a plossl or ortho. It is only on the right side of the bino and is visible in the bottom right of the field of view. It's the shape of a crescent Moon. When I move my eye north of the exit pupil the crescent narrows 'til it vanishes. When my eye is centered over the exit pupil the crescent is present and when I move my eye south under the exit pupil the crescent thickens until I lose the merge.

Doug D.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/23/05

Loc: Virginia
      #5836319 - 05/02/13 01:29 PM Attachment (21 downloads)

Ok, I'll play - how about this simple piece of binoviewer nirvana?

stevenwav
sage

Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: Doug D.]
      #5837118 - 05/02/13 07:50 PM

Ummmmmm....YEAH! Absolutely what we are talkin' about!! Nice!

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5837170 - 05/02/13 08:22 PM Attachment (19 downloads)

I'm blind so I need lot more light...

REC
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/20/10

Loc: NC
Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5837950 - 05/03/13 09:58 AM

Nice looking scope and chair!

stevenwav
sage

Re: Good Heavens! new [Re: Pinbout]
      #5838176 - 05/03/13 11:43 AM

Wow! That is a beautiful design. Is that a 6" or 8" mirror?

Pinbout
Postmaster

#5838516 - 05/03/13 02:40 PM

thanks guys, it's an 8in f6. I have a pair of 8in f3.5's I was planning on making a bino newt but I still need to figure one of them.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1006

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics