Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Binoviewers

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Eddgie
Postmaster

Reged: 02/01/06

Re: had a go at solar with my WO,s new [Re: DaveJ]
      #6100748 - 09/25/13 04:07 PM

The problem with the Baader Solar Wedge is that you can buy a complete Ha Telescope for less.

Coronado PST is only $699 vs $750 for the Baader wedge.

Not saying that the Baader is not perhaps the best for white light, but at the price, most people are going to get solar film and call it good.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Messyone
sage

Reged: 05/02/12

Loc: Down Under
Re: had a go at solar with my WO,s new [Re: Eddgie]
      #6101075 - 09/25/13 06:51 PM

Quote:

I know this may sound funny, but if you have not tired using very low power, you should try it.

I find that the large facula around the limb seem to show up much better with lower powers. It is harder to see the granularity with low power, but everything else looks much better.

I did use my ES 40mm 68º eyepiece and the sun was a beautiful white orb in the FOV. There were lots of clouds around so it was a short session. Next time hopefully.
Matt

Rinaldo
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/28/04

Loc: Lawng-eye-lind - New York, USA
Re: had a go at solar with my WO,s new [Re: Messyone]
      #6101559 - 09/25/13 11:54 PM

The primary reason I bought a binoviewer is solar. I find that I see the surface detail much better with it. The reduction in eyestrain and clarity from eye floaters is a major plus!

Eddgie
Postmaster

Re: had a go at solar with my WO,s new [Re: Rinaldo]
      #6101855 - 09/26/13 08:58 AM

I had reported on this a few months ago. I have done solar observing on and off over the last 10 or 12 years, but never really felt Like I was getting a great view.

I had received a new glass solar filter as a gift, but just did not have all the big desire to use it.

But when I did use it with the C5 in the binoviewers, I was immediatly captivated. The best solar I had ever done with the C5.

And I got into the habit of taking my scope out just about every day for a quick look!!!

I credit the Binoviewer as a major contributor to my new passion for solar.

Let my filter slide off of the scope yesterday and it broke so I think I will try a Baader filter to replace it.

Messyone
sage

#6124051 - 10/08/13 02:39 AM

At long last got to spend a couple of hours with bino's, Baader film and the Sun.
I take back my last post saying it was not as wow as the moon. It is.
Tried RKE 28's and Agena Astro 20mm SWA's, with and without the OCS. Is it possible to see Solar filaments/ loops in white light? Wasn't sure but above a sunspot near the edge was one...maybe.
To be sure bino's are it, I put in my XW 10mm and....pretty dull compared to the 20mm pair. XW's are great eyepieces so I presume if I put in a pair of 20mm XW's or 19mm Panoptics the view would be better than the 20mm SWA's????
All in all a terrific way to spend a few hours.
Matt

DaveJ
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/07/05

Loc: NE Ohio
      #6124293 - 10/08/13 08:25 AM

Quote:

Is it possible to see Solar filaments/ loops in white light? Wasn't sure but above a sunspot near the edge was one...maybe.

Sorry, Matt, no. To see filaments/loops/prominences requires an H-a (hydrogen-alpha) setup. Start saving now because once you've seen them, you'll want a setup of your own. It happened to me and others, as well.

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6124394 - 10/08/13 09:16 AM

Quote:

take back my last post saying it was not as wow as the moon. It is.

That is what I was trying to express earlier. I have tried to love white light solar for 12 or 14 years and nevery really enjoyed it that much.

The first time I looked at the sun in white light with the binoviewers though, it was fantastic. There was just so much detail there, and the facula was just so much easier to see.

I recenly broke my solar filter, but before that happened, I was observing the sun three for four times a week.

My Polaris mount is on loan, but when I get it back, I will get a new filter and get back into the habit.

It is amazing though how great the sun looks when binoviewing.

Messyone
sage

#6125269 - 10/08/13 03:51 PM

Thanks Dave, my imagination must have been working overtime. H-a...scope, got me thinking....and Eddgie I can see now why you are going totally bino.
A Baddder MkV a couple of GPC's or a Binotron with powerswitch and a couple of pairs of eyepieces could be all one could want....
Matt

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6125309 - 10/08/13 04:05 PM

My age may have something to do with it, but lately I just can't seem to get the same sharpness with monovision.

The move from the C14 to the 12" dob was driven in part by the ability to get a wide true field while binoviewing.

By this I mean that I could have gone to a 14" dob, but even though it would have been f/4.5, it is still longer than the 12".

At some point you have to make a compromise and my compromise was to take a bit less aperture for the wider true field I could get with binoviewers.

I miss the aperture on Globulars, but there are so many nice large clusters that now fit into the BV field that I felt it was a good tradeoff.

I have been looking at Solar wedges. The Baader is just to darned expensive.

The Lunt 1.25" wedge is only $220, but it does not take T2.

I was getting ready to buy another solar filter (Astrozap baader) but decided I would write to Lunt and ask them if they would not consider selling their 1.25" diagonal with a T2 top rather than a 1.25" eyepiece holder.

All of us binoviewer types with Maxbrights, Televue, or Mark V have to start asking vendors to offer a T2 thread option!!!

A6Q6
sage

Reged: 05/31/11

Loc: Stroudsburg,Pa,U.S.A
Re: had a go at solar with my WO,s new [Re: darren8se]
      #6135436 - 10/13/13 05:21 PM Attachment (5 downloads)

I have an Orion glass filter, 6" that I got for my Quantum 6. It would never focus . Reduced to 5" it works great on my C5 with Orion Bino's

Edited by A6Q6 (10/13/13 05:28 PM)

Eddgie
Postmaster

#6136517 - 10/14/13 09:40 AM

A followup.

I contacted lunt to see if they had an optoin to allow T2 connection.

No. None planned.

Also, there is a filter in the eyepiece holder.

I am almost all bino now, and my atitude is very quickly becoming "If it does not work with T2, I don't want it."

I have two Mark Vs and I want to be able to move them back and forth and also the refractor won't reach focus without a GPC if I have to use an eyepeice holder and a 1.25" nose and I don't have any more room to cut the tube.

So, Lunt is out for me.

Baader is to big for me.. Loose to much apeture with the additional light path.

So I am going to just be happy with the Astrozap Baader film filter. I am sure there is a bit of gain with the wedge, but I am just not intresed in jumping though hoops to utilize it (putting in GPC, cutting tube, reducing apeture more than I have to, etc).

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TG, Geo557 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1445

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics