Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
treaves

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Homerville Launch Facility
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: onwebnow]
      #2949319 - 02/25/09 04:29 PM

Any update on this?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
NyxAither
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/11/07

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: onwebnow]
      #2996420 - 03/21/09 02:46 PM

Wow! This is amazing! I would like it if you posted a link to this in the useful links sections of the imaging and viewing forums unless you already have!

treaves

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: NyxAither]
      #2998400 - 03/22/09 03:00 PM

This isn't specific to this star map, but why is it that people have to bastardize the constellations, turning them into what they are not? Leo does NOT contain that many stars, and adding them in no way makes it look more like a lion.

How sad.

jr_
sage

Reged: 07/28/03

Loc: Valencia, Spain
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: treaves]
      #2999664 - 03/23/09 09:35 AM

IMHO, when the charts are zoomed (as in section C), having the lines plotted helps a lot to relate the charts of one set to the others, helping to appraise better the region we are seeing, and making the navigation trough the charts easier and more intuitive. Without lines, relating the charts to the sky is unnecesairily harder. For me it is of great help, and honestly, I do not want to remove them, neither see the least problem with them. But it is just an opinion.

Edited by jr_ (03/23/09 12:36 PM)

treaves

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: jr_]
      #3001356 - 03/23/09 11:20 PM

No, I'm fine with lines. What I'm not fine is EXTRA/ALTERNATE lines. For example, your lines for Leo, in addition to not being authentic/original, look no more like a lion, and are impossible to point out to someone in the sky.

It's a monstrosity.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: treaves]
      #3001557 - 03/24/09 02:11 AM

Quote:

No, I'm fine with lines. What I'm not fine is EXTRA/ALTERNATE lines. For example, your lines for Leo, in addition to not being authentic/original, look no more like a lion, and are impossible to point out to someone in the sky.

It's a monstrosity.

Hmm.
I've looked at all the constellation drawings, and they resemble the charts I learned from Sky & Tel in the early '60s. It used to be common to connect a lot more dots than they do on contemporary charts because, I believe, most people then could see more stars in the sky.
The extra lines added on these charts are usually, so far as I can see, added to lead one to deep sky objects by star hopping along lines connecting stars, and so would be very useful to a dob owner using, say, a Telrad to find objects.
Plus the extra lines are certainly not obtrusive.
His Leo is very much the way I learned to connect the dots way back when, and the only extra lines I see are the line passing M65/66 and the zig-zag under Regulus, which is more commonly shown as a line connecting Regulus to o Leonis.

On the older maps of my youth, I used to appreciate extra lines connecting stars in the constellations as they helped the eye discriminate where the true constellation boundaries were. Such is the case here. I don't find the extra lines monstrous anywhere, since the basic lines are similar to the common drawings. I miss the complicated renderings of yesteryear. The simplified connect-the-dots patterns used on modern charts seem incomplete, to me.

What I object to is that the lines drawn to identify a star with its Bayer letter seem to be extra lines in the pattern, and THAT is visual pollution.

Edited by Starman1 (03/24/09 02:14 AM)

HfxObserver
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/04

Loc: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Starman1]
      #3037211 - 04/10/09 10:50 PM

Nice charts!

Is there a way to get the panoramic referred to above?

-Chris

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: HfxObserver]
      #3056488 - 04/21/09 04:28 AM

I have just updated all the the links in the main download page:
http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/triatlas.html

There must be no broken links now. You'll find there all files of the five editions, in both Europe and USA page formats (included the two panoramic editions).

Anyway, these are direct links to download the two panoramic editions (56 landscape charts, around 45x30, reaching 9.8 magnitude and showing more objects than Sky Atlas 2000):

(1) In A3 for Europe

http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_A3_1.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_A3_2.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_A3_3.pdf

(2) In Tabloid for USA:

http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_Tabloid_1.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_Tabloid_2.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_Tabloid_3.pdf

Hope that all links are well set. If you detect any problem, please report to me or to Casey. Hope you'll like the panoramic sets!!!

PEterW
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/02/06

Loc: SW London, UK
      #3057633 - 04/21/09 03:44 PM

Excellent news. Well done to everyone involved in this mammoth project! A truly amazing resource.

Thanks

PEterW

star drop
Snowed In

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: PEterW]
      #3090338 - 05/07/09 11:00 AM

Thank you to all involved on this wonderful resource.

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: star drop]
      #3094347 - 05/09/09 11:31 AM

Just so you know, the index for the panorama set is A3 even for Tabloid and the index is also missing chart number references for most of Virgo and spring sky. All along the far right. The charts aren't missing, just the references

I priced printing on tabloid and laminating each chart at around $205 CAN. But they can't spriral bind them at Staples, oh well. Not bad considering "other" atlases that do not go as deep and are not laminated run around the same price.

What I would really love to make is a Closeup of the Virgo Cluster, Pleiades and Orion. I nice acetate overlay with to scale telrad circles and various field of view circles with ones to scale with closeup charts. I wonder how I could make one of those.

okiestarman56
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/10/08

Loc: 36.40'178" N 95.20'087" W
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Magellan]
      #3095405 - 05/09/09 11:43 PM

That would be a nice addition,Also if you bet and acetate overlay i'll take one to.

Clear Skies
Jerry

joner
sage

Reged: 05/01/09

Loc: south east Ireland.
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: okiestarman56]
      #3129012 - 05/26/09 07:31 PM

Thank's for all your work and your free gift to the community jr.

I asked my cousin to print the A-set out for me in work on A3 and it is very clear and easy to read. I'm gonna be really nice to him and ask him to print me out the B-set in the next few wwek's .

Thank's again jr.

joner.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: joner]
      #3129619 - 05/27/09 04:02 AM

Thank you joner, I am more than pleased with your words . I did not print it scaled in A3 so far, but people who have done it tell me that they got great results. I use my copy in A4 format. If it is printed in normal page size (A4/letter), it is very important (I am not sure if most people realise of it) that do NOT print it shrinking to fit to the margins, because the fonts suffer a very dramatic reduction in size. It must be printed with no scaling down. The font size is the most important issue to solve, the rest is quite fine in the current version.

joner
sage

Reged: 05/01/09

Loc: south east Ireland.
      #3129662 - 05/27/09 05:25 AM

Here is a pic of the a full page of the A-set in A3 size sheet,

And a closeup of the same page in the region of Casiopia,

I need some clear sky's now .

The Champion's league final is on tonight and I'le be rootin for Barcelona (I'm a neutral)in honour of jr's map's . I'm gonna bring my cousin out to see the match and be very very nice to him .

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: joner]
      #3130118 - 05/27/09 11:47 AM

Great images, joner!!! I'm sure that the weather will be as fine there as it is here right now (blue sky, no cloud). I just wish that the hellish work time I'm having in the last weeks will finish soon. Hehehe, I am not fan of football, but tonight I will do an exception and will support the Barcelona. Dark and clean skies there!!!

Edited by jr_ (05/27/09 11:48 AM)

mcbbcn

Reged: 03/10/07

Loc: Portland, OR
      #3136275 - 05/30/09 06:16 PM

Hola Jose,

Mi nombre es Miguel Casas, y vivo en Portland, OR. Naci en Barcelona y entendio que siendo de Valencia, no seas fan del Barcelona, pero tambien entiendo porque haces una exception.

Te queria dar la enhorabuena por el maravilloso regalo que has hecho al mundo de la astronomia. Yo soy una astrofotografo amateur y cuando descubri el regalo que le has hechno a la comunidad astronomica, no me lo podia creer.

Te voy an enviar un email por separado tambien!!!

Saludos,

Miguel Casas
Portland, OR

HfxObserver
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/04

Loc: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: mcbbcn]
      #3394822 - 10/17/09 03:37 PM

I believe there is an error on the chart B in the North American Nebula. The Chart shows B352 where I believe it is the location for B353, 352 would be farther North and much larger.

See Barnards Chart;

http://www.library.gatech.edu/Barnard_Project_W/chart/Bar-pt2-cht046_sm.jpg

Great Charts! I use them for most of my observing sessions.

-Chris

astrotrf
Not at all Mundane

Reged: 09/30/07

Loc: Rodeo, NM
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: HfxObserver]
      #3494230 - 12/10/09 02:36 PM

I'm looking, specifically, at chart B9, but the error exists in all of B1 - B9. The arc marking the northern boundary of the constellation Cepheus (running near Polaris) is drawn as a complete circle around the pole on these charts rather than running from about 22h 40m to 09h 00m as it should.

This error was present in the constellation boundaries data file as I received it from the NASA Astronomical Data System. I sent them a correction to this in 1995 -- but obviously, it hasn't caught on everywhere.

You'll also find a *doubled* set of constellation boundary lines between Serpens and Ophiuchus at 18h 32m and +4 degrees (I'm looking at chart B49 now). This error was similarly in the same NASA ADS constellation data set, and I sent them *that* correction as well. Regrettably, I no longer recall which of the two lines was in error.

I can, however, send you my own updated copy of the corrected constellation boundaries data file, if you're interested.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: astrotrf]
      #3856942 - 06/10/10 04:39 AM

Hello,

I am linking the indexes for the A, B and C edition (well, much more: it is a catalogue of the best objects with annotations of the SAC database when possible). It corresponds mainly to the B edition. The data are more or less as follows (this is a single line in the catalogue as an example):

NGC 7831 00 07.3 +32 37 AND GALXY Sb 12.8m 1.5'X0.3' 3820.5 eF,vS,mE,vF*vnr\IC1530\89-4\A1-B26-C126-53

...to decode as:
NAME=NGC 7831
RA=00 07.3
DEC=+32 37
CONSTELATION=AND
TYPE=GALXY
SUBTYPE=Sb
MAGNITUDE=12.8m
SIZE=1.5'X0.3'
POSITION ANGLE=38
SURFACE BRIGHTNESS=20.5
NOTES=eF,vS,mE,vF*vnr
OTHER NAMES=IC1530
URANOMETRIA AND SKY ATLAS 2000 (1st ed)=89-4
TRIATLAS CHARTS=A1-B26-C126-53 <====complementary 11 mag edition)

Not always the lines are like this, but this example is fairly repressentative. I have to say that I did this catalogue for personal usage: I wanted to print it in landscape layout, in two columns with small fonts (that's why some long entries are split in two lines). It is not prepared for satisfying the taste of others (just personal usage), but maybe it can be useful for some of you.

Hope this will be of help. I'm afraid I am too busy in job things to work in the triatlas project, but this is what I use and it is highly practical The catalague is sorted by constellations, and then in two blocks (deep sky objects and double stars) and within this, sorted by RA and DEC. It is around 190 pages with a monospaced font (Monotype 6 points) in word. Since it is plain text, everybody can edit it at his/her own taste.

This is the link:
Text document (ZIP compressed) with the a catalogue and the A-B-C-Z indexes

Enjoy and clear skies

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
2 registered and 4 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45340

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics