Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)
jr_
sage

Reged: 07/28/03

Loc: Valencia, Spain
3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky atlas
      #1603303 - 05/14/07 08:15 AM

A downloadable PDF sky atlas reaching 13 mag in three sections - first proof

I like sky atlases and cartography. In the last years, I have bought (and used!) most of the published atlases. However, I have not found the “perfect atlas” yet (probably, there is no ideal single atlas). Some years ago, I thought that the C section of the Herald-Bobroff atlas was just perfect (large scale, showing faint stars), but I have changed my mind. Sometimes it is not precise enough, in others there are too many objects and the codes are often skipped because I prefer using a book to pick up the DSO to see at the telescope (I mean, a book gathering tables of DSO data), instead of decoding complex symbols. I wanted much more stars.

Thus, two months ago I began to plan my own atlas. It is a set of three atlases (A,B and C maps), which I would like to share (free, or course!!!) with everybody as PDF files. I am now linking the intermediate atlas: an 11 magnitude star atlas. It is unrefined, with overlapped labels and objects, but nevertheless a very nice work. I hope you will like it, but note that it is my “first iteration”, not the final charts. I wanted constellation lines plotted, double stars like in Herald-Bobroff atlas, conventional symbols, neighbouring charts, optional color printouts, etc. This is a small portion of one of the B-charts.

My idea was to generate three complete atlases with my program CNebulaX (because of the amount of work, fully computer-generated: with no supervision o post-edition). This means that there will be problems with overlapping, and the fonts must be small but well readable. This weekend I finished the software and now I am able to generate (in a few minutes!) any customised atlas I wish, with index charts and numbers indicating the neighbouring and zoomed charts (B chart numbers in A charts, and C numbers in B charts); everything is automated. What I will show is just the first complete set, to discuss and improve it, but fully functional. I have tried it this weekend to catch Leo and Virgo galaxies, and it is really great.

The Atlas is indeed a three sections atlas, like the Herald-Bobroff one. The first one (A-section) is a set 25 A4 charts showing stars up to 9 magnitude, with 50º maps. The second one (B-section, linked below) is a set of 90 charts up to 11 magnitude, with 23º charts. Finally, the third section (C) includes 661 charts (8º each) up to 13 magnitude, far much more powerful than the Millennium Atlas, listing for instance all known planetary nebulae and open clusters, galaxies up to 16 magnitude, double stars up to 12.5 magnitude, etc. The fonts, I must say, are readable but VERY SMALL. For me is OK. Minor objects close to the threshold and printed with a very minute font, that can be read but the idea is use the next sections. Perhaps I will remove the labels in the “next iteration”. I have tried bigger fonts but I prefer more objects with smaller fonts.

The chart number is at the lower right area (large outline font). There are nine points sampling the nearest neighbouring B-charts, indicated with a smaller outline font in the borders (the corners and in the middle sides). Finally, you will see smaller outline numbers indicating the charts in the C section (just like in the Herald Bobroff or Uranometria 2nd. edition).

The 90 charts are in LARGE PDF files (=save them to disk before opening). If you want a good output, print them with no shriking at 600 DPI (I generated my own charts sending them directly to the printer for a best quality, and PDF charts are not so perfect):

Section B - charts 1 to 30

Section B - charts 31 to 60

Section B - charts 61 to 90

This is a four charts index chart:

Index charts for the B section (4 charts)

And here there are two sample charts taken from the 13 magnitude atlas (C-section) to give an idea. This section is still to refine, to eliminate duplicated entries. The problem is where to store it, because the PDFs will be VERY HUGE (700 Mb):

Sample chart of section C: chart 223 (the Hyades)

Sample chart of section C: chart 279 (M 15 area, Pegasus)

My idea is binding the charts making a book, with two-side charts. I want to print all the stuff before summer holidays; at least, I hope so...

I will link the A section probably tomorrow. The A section includes a selection of the best deep sky objects and it is very handy to plan quick deep sky sessions. The corresponding maps in the B section are overlaid on each chart. Quite comfortable to use, I think.

This is the way I generate the charts:

Double stars are labelled with a double magnitude/distance code. For instance 1C indicates a disproportion in magnitudes between main and secondary stars of 1.0 to 1.9 magnitudes, and C: 1.5 to 5 arcsec separation (A=<0.5", B=0.5-1.5", C=1.5"-5", D=5"-15", E=15-60", F=>60"). The remaining kind of objects are labelled with standard names.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
mister_wavey

Reged: 09/11/05

Loc: Abergavenny, Wales, UK
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: jr_]
      #1604001 - 05/14/07 02:56 PM

wow!

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: mister_wavey]
      #1604152 - 05/14/07 04:26 PM

The PDF file for the A set (25 charts up to 9.0 mag, 50º height) is stored in the following link:

Section A - 25 charts up to 9.0 mag with pointers to the B section

The index charts for the A section is:

Section A - 4 charts showing the distribution of the A charts

Again, print the maps with no shrinking at 600 dpi. In the previous message you will find the links for the B section (11 mag).

Finally, the distribution maps for the C charts are here:

Section C - 4 charts showing the distribution of the C charts

Edited by jr_ (05/15/07 08:43 AM)

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
      #1605520 - 05/15/07 10:13 AM

Excellent start. Referring to the C Atlas (my preference because of scale):
1) For readability, the page numbers should be outside the chart area, even if it means shrinking the amount of chart area per page.
2) The labels should be of uniform size. This may result in even more overlap of labels than in your samples. For the charts to be readable in the field, the overlap of labels needs to be controlled. If it is, the charts become usable.
3) Many of your design goals are excellent. You have some real potential, here. Here is a link to what was going to be the best atlas ever printed:
http://www.skygx.com/
But it looks like it will never go to press, now, so you can step right in. You should note the design goals and see if any of them make sense for you. Also look at their sample pages.
4) I printed an atlas from Megastar 5.x a while back, with 6 degrees per page, and the scale was excellent for the display of DSOs, but quite unwieldy in the field. Your scale would be better. Be sure there is slight overlap from chart to chart, and be certain the atlas contains ALL the star clusters in Archinal & Hynes book "Star Clusters" (Willmann-Bell).

Nice start.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Starman1]
      #1605873 - 05/15/07 12:57 PM

Hi Don,

The true core of the project is the C section. The A and B sections are good atlases by themselves (especially the B one), but what I originally wanted is the big 13 mag. Section (C). I have already printed (and stored in a plastic sheet folder) the A and B sections so that I can use them as my new main atlas, and I hope to print the C section in two weeks to have it bound as book before summer holidays. Fortunately, most of the hard work (in programming terms) is already done; my last problem is to check the databases to finally use and perhaps compile a common mixed database.

There is a small problem with the quality of PDF with regard to the direct CNebulaX printouts. What is printed from the PDF is slightly smaller and has a slightly less quality than direct printouts, but quite good nevertheless.

I know the SkyGX charts, but honestly, I want to have a more compact atlas. The SkyGX prototype charts leave too empty space and this means more charts (=more heavy and expensive): each map occupies less than 40% of the paper, leaving empty space and duplicating unnecessarily symbols and extra-growing the size of the atlas. I want to have as much power (stars, deep sky objects and map scale) as possible, but not a too heavy/bulky atlas, so that it be useful in the observing sessions.

Are you sure you prefer less chart area to put the neighboring labels out of the map? I wanted to have the labels of the charts of the next zoom level in the middle of the charts so that be easy to move to the next set. The side labels can be printed out of the map; that is no problem. I can check the look of the maps. Or I can print empty areas surrounding the numbers to make them easier to read. I can prepare sample charts to show and decide.

There is a quite good (=generous) overlapping area between charts, I think that there is no problem in that sense. Is very easy to navigate between charts and sections. I have prepared three new one-chart indexes, easier to use than the current ones; I will link them tomorrow.

I have not printed –still- all objects I want in the final charts; I have set some restrictions that I still have to revise. For instance, Pease 1 is not printed in the sample C chart within M15 because I set to reject all planetary nebulae with less than 1 arcsec and this nebula has no size data in the current database. But my intention is to be comprehensive (except in the case of galaxies).

To me, the main problem is the minor fonts, and overlaps. The usual Arial Narrow font is good to me, but threshold objects are labelled one point smaller and thus become too small. Well, this is a first proof,as I mentioned: time to discuss and improve…

Edited by jr_ (05/15/07 04:23 PM)

Glassthrower
Vendor - Galactic Stone & Ironworks

Reged: 04/07/05

Loc: Oort Cloud 9
      #1606311 - 05/15/07 04:55 PM

Awesome work Jose. Now I have to go out and buy another ink cartridge for my printer!

The Mag-11 atlas is exactly the "depth" I need for my small scope.

Nice job and thanks for sharing!

Regards and clear skies,

MikeG

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Glassthrower]
      #1607256 - 05/16/07 01:29 AM

Hi MikeG,

The 11 mag atlas is quite close to the ideal atlas for field use. When I use other atlases (typically 9 mag atlases such as Uranometria or Herald-Bobroff), I frequently miss some more faint stars to locate exactly the object. This is the reason to go beyond this limit in the B-atlas.

I was using it last saturday night to spot galaxies in the Coma-Leo-Virgo area. I was looking for 12.5 to 13.5 mag objects with my 150 mm refractor (the night was good but far from exceptional), and in all cases, even for quite threshold targets, the atlas gave me enough reference points to locate them very easily. I was really satisfied with the performance: it was better than I originally thought. My initial idea was completing the hard searches with the 5800 minimaps (as I usually do), but with the new atlas was not necessary, except in one instance, just to confirm it. So the success percentage as "standard-alone" atlas was really good.

The only point is to get a printer able to reproduce the charts with the same accuracy I have got in the direct printouts. In a 600 dpi laser printer the charts are excellent. Larger resolution gives perhaps too thin stars.

I have also generated some proof color maps with a laser color printer. Color maps are even nicer (overlapping is less problematic), have a look to this:

chart B-23 in color (proof color combination)

...although obviously I am planning a B/W set.

IMPORTANT - I have replaced the A-charts with a new set with a 5º grid (instead of 1º grid) and smaller stars. The first set was too crowded and the charts are now more readable. Have look and tell me the impressions. I hope you will like it. At least I think that now is closer to how I like. Up to the moment, the changes to implement seem to be more clear (outer?) adjacent chart indicators and font sizes.

Edited by jr_ (05/16/07 04:43 AM)

Senpai

Reged: 10/20/06

Loc: Russia, Chuvashian republic
      #1607392 - 05/16/07 05:50 AM

Hi, Jose!
Very interesting! Is it possible to share the color version of the B-atlas? With slightly more dimer coordinate greed.
I think, the B-atlas is all I need with my 4-6-8" newtonians.
By the Way! I know how to share the C-version without the huge hosting. Divide the C-Atlas into 50mb fragments and share each 2 sequent fragments for a week or less. You can share all the atlas in 1 or 2 months.
After that we can put the fragments on the other different servers (acounts) and publish there the links.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Senpai]
      #1607439 - 05/16/07 07:10 AM

Hi Senpai,

Yes, naturally, I can prepare it. Tell me the color set you would like. I have not tested the current colors in the night, but I am sure that the red should be absent (except -perhaps- a dark red for dimming the grid keeping a soft visibility). The best would be that you suggested a color set (RGB values would be OK); the categories to be defined are in the picture included in the first message. Then I would generate a proof and if it is OK, the whole set of charts. I can generate the color version immediately, no problem.

I need a way to send (or share) the whole color files. I have all my website nearly full, and the colours set could mean 100 Mb, which I do not own.

I will start to generate C-charts probably next week.

Edited by jr_ (05/16/07 07:54 AM)

PEterW
professor emeritus

Reged: 01/02/06

Loc: SW London, UK
      #1607494 - 05/16/07 08:07 AM

Genius. Clouds in the UK, so not had a chance to play with them. this project gives you something for each category of user from binoculars to big dobsonians. Also as you pront it yourself, you only need to take the parts you need into the field, reducing bulk.
The only issue I had was the overlapping of the labels in crowded fields, but this has already been mentioned. Some form of HB 'visibility index' might be useful, but probably not easy to implement?!

Will the wonders never cease! All the best

PEterW

Arbacia
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/18/07

Loc: Madrid, Spain
      #1607505 - 05/16/07 08:12 AM

Hi Jr_ very nice work indeed!

Don't use red. Use a couple of greens as they will appear greysh under red light (like the Norton's star Atlas). You can also use blues. Use as few colors as possible and the grid as dim as possible.

Saludos,

Patricio

PEterW
professor emeritus

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: PEterW]
      #1607506 - 05/16/07 08:13 AM

You need more storage space! Maybe put the files in the 'internet archive', archive.org so they have a good chance of maintaining their presence in cyberspace. With colour you can make the small map numbers more obvious. Maybe you could lightly colour shade the milky way in (the single contour line looks a bit like a constellation line at the moment). Colour looks like the way it'll end up finally.

Cheers

PEterW

Arbacia
Pooh-Bah

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Arbacia]
      #1607513 - 05/16/07 08:19 AM

what about sharing the file in emule?

jr_
sage

#1608069 - 05/16/07 12:54 PM

(PEterW) Good to have news from you again!!! I sent you an email a week ago with the first proofs (once finished successfully the promotion), but I didn't get any answer up to now. I think that the 11 mag atlas is an excellent starting point, and the 13 mag atlas, perhaps the definite answer for almost any deep sky object. Comprehensive, powerful, comfortable and completely free.

The B linear scale is similar to sky atlas 2000, but in more convenient A4 pages. I use the A and B sets as main atlas. It is small and easy to carry, there is no need to separate them: even if you use binoculars, sometimes you will want faint stars to catch the object, I am sure. My idea for the A section was offering a selection of the best objects for quick observing sessions. It is the same as when I use the Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas: it shows too few stars, but the object selection is quite good. I wanted a good slection, but more power.

I have dumped the charts in a laser printer and stored the charts in a folder with plastic sheets to protect them. My idea is bind the C section in a single volume. I do not think that the visibility indexes should be included in the maps, but in the accompanying tables.

(Arbacia) I will place the color C-charts in emule, good idea. If anybody could share his/her copy in that way, it can be of help to others. I have nearly exhausted my web space, and I have not finished to place all the stuff. I can replace the monochrom versions by the colour ones, but I have no place to store both of them.

I will prepare some colour charts to discuss and decide. This will be the best. Orange color for the grid was still visible in the dark but not disturbing. What colors and categories would you prefer?

Edited by jr_ (05/16/07 01:19 PM)

Starman1

#1608146 - 05/16/07 01:52 PM

After further thought, I have some comments:
The scale of the Mag.13 charts (C) is excellent, but the number of stars is unnecessarily large. This scale of chart with stars only to Mag.11 would be fine--less cluttered, and easier to use to search for DSOs. Also, in areas with lots of galaxies, the stars wouldn't make the galaxy designations as hard to read.
But you will definitely have to address label overlap. In areas with galaxy clusters, the charts will simply be unreadable.
Frankly, I'd stick to Black and White, because while making designations in color helps the visibility of the charts in daytime use, it actually hurts the ease of use in the field. I've used color atlases in the field at night, and far prefer B&W for ease of reading under red light.
In essence, a Uranometria 2000.0 atlas with stars to Mag.11 would be a formidable atlas for big scope users. You've got the scale, and the information (I hope your NGC data comes from the NGCIC.org and the star cluster info from Archinal & Hynes "Star Clusters"--otherwise, you will have hundreds of coordinate errors). Work on the labels, and the charts could be the ultimate printed atlas.
I created a sample chart of the M1 area at 8 degrees per page with stars to Mag.11. It's REALLY crowded in the Milky Way at this scale.

Senpai

#1608278 - 05/16/07 03:09 PM

Hi, Jose!

IMHO, the coordinat grid is realy mast be as dim as it possible, may be, gray.
Also I think, the constellation borders (dashed) also mast be dim, may be, also light gray? Constellation figures and names - light green.
Big nebulas are blue - is normal.
Milky way - light blue (or dashed blue).
Galaxies, smll nebulas, open and globular clusters must be black contured.
So, it is normal to colorise all the additional info, and leave in b/w the main objects of the map - stars, DSO-s, and labels for good visibility in the field.
The colors must be "clear" - red, blue, green, and black and the dashed/dimed variants of the main 4 colors (light green, light red, light blue, gray) to maximise the resolution and the quality of the prints. Color combinations will make the objects more diffuse, not sharp.
Yes, red color is not good for the night observation!

PEterW
professor emeritus

#1608348 - 05/16/07 03:38 PM

JOse, sorry for the delay in replying. Lots on at work, moving buildings, moved flat and baby son is getting more of a handful. Great bit of work, you keep excelling yourself! I see this post is now a sticky... congrats! I wonder if CloudyNights could host the final version? My broadband supplier selectively blocks Peer-2-peer traffic, but someone ought to share it to help speed up distribution.

Would you say the A section is a 'binocular atlas'? Another suggestion would be to label very large objects with a 'label on a stick' like the double-stars, so it is easy to see what label the large object has.

The more people we can get to make suggestions, the better the final product.

All the best

PEter

Arbacia
Pooh-Bah

#1608574 - 05/16/07 05:24 PM

No red color!!!! (neither orange or mauve)
under the red light will be "white" as the background white paper. Just use a red marker and test your writing under the red light.

keep colors scheme as simple as possible, under red lights "todos los gatos son pardos" (Spanish proverb, a translation should said something like "All cats are grey in the dark" menings that no one will notice)

PEterW
professor emeritus

#1609490 - 05/17/07 03:48 AM

I think that colour done well would be very useful. jr tests his schemes in the field, so they should work. the different colours in the dark allow different levels of grey to be seen, rather than having to just print it grey in the first place. So we get a functional chart at night and one that is clearer and easier to use in the daytime.

Thanks

PEter

jr_
sage

#1610186 - 05/17/07 02:25 PM

Hi everybody,

I am sorry for the delay. I have been trying several color setups and making some corrections. I have generated a set of charts for section A in color. This is the link of the new set:

Section A in color / 300dpi

I have to replace the driver to get 600 dpi color maps. I resampled them but they are still less accurate than the older charts. I didn't print the new chart set, just seeing the look on the screen (the old set is in the web still).

(Arbacia and Senpai) The grid is grayish now and I have avoided red colors as you have suggested (although I am not imaginative enough to design a good color set, I am afraid); only a deep red but with blue/green components has been used in galaxies. I can modify the colours as you prefer. Just tell me your preferences.I have used in the field only the BW set with extraordinary results. The best color set (=the appropriate color combination for night observing) for color charts is unknown still for me. I can make the proofs you want, no problem. Senpai, I personally prefer use the red color in the desktop, but during the night it will make the object invisible.

I tried my (about 10) sample colour charts in the darkness. The orange grid was barely visible with a LED flashlight, and my conclussion was that I need to design very carefully the colors before proceeding; so I went to the BW charts and delayed the color matter to next proofs. Printing in color makes the use in night conditions much harder. A good color combination is absolutely essential.

What I have linked is just a proof, but will require a good color printer to get a neat vector representation. I printed several charts in an HP Color LaserJet 2605 and the results were fantastic, but I cannot use that printer for reproducing 660 charts!!!. My final C charts (I mean my personal set) will be BW, but I can distribute colour charts, what you prefer.

In my opinion, colour outputs are nice for consulting at the desktop, but I the BW printouts are more functional in the field and cheaper to reproduce. But there is no problem in making colour outputs (except the web space to store the files).

I have thought a procedure to move the labels (not the best one, I am sure), although I still have to think about it. This will require some weekends of work, I am afraid, because the objects should be drawn with a completely different system.

About storage, I can share the files from my desktop PC with emule. I use to work with a notebook, so there is no problem in leaving the files in the desktop PC (no interference in my work), although this is a temporary solution. I am not using emule, but I can. I would consider any alternative we could find. My intention is to help, and any solution is welcome.

(Peter) For me, the whole A and B section is a binocular atlas. The A section shows only the brightest objects ( I can even restrict more the selection conditions). So it is just to know the best to see in a quick way. The B charts are the "horse of battle", the most useful for general purpose. And the C charts, gives the power we need to tackle really hard objects. Most of time I think that the B charts will me enough.

I would like to print the Milky Way in soft blue as in the Sky Atlas 2000. Or even better: getting a more accurate isolines set. Well, another good idea to add...

(Starman) I have tried 11 to 13 magnitude charts. At 8º, the 13 charts are excellent for galaxy fields, but too cluttered for Milky Way fields. And the 11, insuffcient for GX fields but quite OK for MW fields. I prefer having reference stars, as much as possible. I think that the best solution is adapt the magnitude to the charts making a small survey before printing each chart. But perhaps this solution is not ideal for everybody (mag will vary according to the chart).

I am planning to replace the labels surveying the surroundings, as mentioned before, but it is quite hard to design something giving response to the infinite variety of overlapping situations that can happen in the plots. It not easy at all, and my solution probably will be only partial. I cannot revise manually the charts, that would be just unfeasible. Well, we will see.

I coincide with you on my preference on BW charts.

The C set is using the NGC and IC data from the NGC/IC project; the database for this section is a new one (=less than six months old), and I included the revised cataloges by the NGC/IC project. However, I am not so sure about the A and B section because the database is a mixed one coming from an older source created during the NGC revision process. It certainly includes identity corrections, but surely not all of them. Note also that A and B charts includes not all the NGC and IC, and identity corrections are less probable for bright objects. The C charts are completely correct in that sense, and I can replace NGC or IC data by the NGC project in the next proof. My database system is flexible and allow modifications easily.

I will prepare testing maps of the C set to discuss on the number of stars.

Edited by jr_ (05/17/07 06:38 PM)

Senpai

#1610673 - 05/17/07 07:08 PM

This is my variant of the color scheme:

Clusters - RGB 0,100,50
Galaxies - RGB 100,0,25
Nebulas, Milky Way - RGB 0, 50 100
Constellation borders, names - RGB 60,90,60
Coordinat Grid - 40% black, or RGB 60,60,60
Stars, star labels - 100% Black
Variable stars, doubles labels and markers - RGB 100,50,0

The sample map (hypotetical) in printer colors

Or to switch the colors of clusters and variables:

Your opinion?
Who can test the schemes on the color prints and the red light? I hope, the schemes must be readable.

Mark Smedley

Reged: 03/02/05

Loc: Cape Town, South Africa
      #1611269 - 05/18/07 02:54 AM

Hi Jose

The charts are looking very good for a first iteration.

I must agree that the chart numbers must be printed on the outside of the chart. The other thing I have noticed is that the RA printout is too cluttered on the A section charts, I would only print them out every 30m at the very most.

I will have a go at converting the milky way outlines again now that I have more time on my hands as my rainy season has started again.

As for distributing the files the easiest is probably something like rapidshare.com, but you will have to limit the files to a maximum of 100mb at a time. The best thing is that it is free.

Mark

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #1611526 - 05/18/07 09:15 AM

Quote:

This is my variant of the color scheme:

Clusters - RGB 0,100,50
Galaxies - RGB 100,0,25
Nebulas, Milky Way - RGB 0, 50 100
Constellation borders, names - RGB 60,90,60
Coordinat Grid - 40% black, or RGB 60,60,60
Stars, star labels - 100% Black
Variable stars, doubles labels and markers - RGB 100,50,0

In my opinion, using any shade of red or orange for something that you want to be visible at night on a star chart is asking for trouble. That's especially true for labels. Even if it looks OK to you by red flashlight, it may not to somebody else. Remember that different printers print colors differently!

At Sky & Telescope, we use a red ellipse with a black outline for galaxies. By red flashlight, the red interior disappears completely -- which is fine, because the black outline still shows well.

Senpai

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #1611548 - 05/18/07 09:34 AM

Yes! I know!
That's why I use the combination of colors (not shades of red). Galaxies - RGB 100,0,25 - is R and B combination.
Yes, it would be better to use black outlines and color fills, but, as I think, it is imposible or hard to implement in 3Atals.
Newertheless, it is just a offer, and needs some test. May be, more blue in color
Galaxies - RGB 100,0,50? and also
Clusters RGB 0,70,50,
Constellations lines RGB 80,95,80,

jr_
sage

#1611609 - 05/18/07 10:25 AM

Senpai,

I have placed a sample map with the colour set you have suggested. It is here:

Chart B12 - Color set suggested by Senpai

Yesterday evening I printed some sample charts in a color laser printer and they look really nice, although I cannot think in printing 660+90+25 maps in that way!!! Perhaps the set of 90+25, but not the 661 C-maps.

I agree with Tony Flanders on the use of colours. It could be good use them to fill the objects, but with a black outline. That was the way I would like the colour maps. Also, the colours look different depending on the printer.

How about surrounding the neighbouring charts labels with white arrows (circles or whatever),instead of moving them out? I think that lossing scale is a pity. You should consider that the overlapping area is generous: the unmber never cover uncovered areas in other charts. I'd rather place small empty areas to increase readibility: out of the numbers there is quite room to print details. This is my proposal:

neighbouring charts in black circles (smaller numbers)

(Mark) Nice to see you again!!! I am not sure, but yesterday I was replacing repeatedly the A set, making proofs changing the grid size and star size. Get the last one I placed: the final grid is 2º size. In my opinion, 10 m is quite good for equatorial A-charts, and 5m for B-charts:

Full A-charts set, 1.1 release - B/W, 2º grid, star size changed

The coverage is similar to the B set because the scale is 3 times larger, so it does not produce the impression of being so crowded. I'd like thin grids covering the maps because I use them to plot other objects (comets, asteroids, etc), and a comprehensive grid makes life easier.

I think that I will be able to generate C-files in two weeks. This weekend I have a compromise I cannot dedicate time, but from next Thursday I will start to deal with all the problems everybody has told me.

Edited by jr_ (05/18/07 01:21 PM)

Senpai

#1611947 - 05/18/07 01:41 PM

Hi, Jose! Thanks fot the sample map. I'l try to print and test it.
Some words about the neighbouring charts in black circles. May be, it would be better a gray background of the circles, or gray arrows-forms, or only contures of circels/arrows?
Yes, the map is more easily readable now.

jr_
sage

#1616642 - 05/21/07 07:39 AM

I still had time to dedicate some hours this weekend to design the C-maps. I made some proofs changing the detail level and I think that the C-maps will be great; the stellar magnitude will reach 12.75 mag better than 13.00 (too crowded in the Milky Way fields)

Galaxies will be plotted up to magnitude 15.5 instead of 16.0. Galaxies will be taken only from PGC, but NGC names from NGC/IC project are prevalent. All known (I hope) planetary nebulae and star clusters will be included. Bright and dark nebulae however will requiere some cropping because of duplications and overcrowding at 8º scale. I think that the C-maps scale is perfect for field work.

I still have a lot of work to do, rebuilding databases. The last corrections to NGC and IC are quite troublesome because of duplications with other catalogues. I have the Hynes' Star Clusters book that Starman1 suggested, but I have not the data in electronic format so I cannot include it. I will get the latest releases of catalogues before proceeding. I will be out for the next three days. All ideas are welcome.

Senpai, I will change the number background to gray so that they keep the visibility, making them less prominent. I reduced the size a bit with regard to the sample copy linked last friday and the result are now more suitable to me,but gray will be better. Now I am starting to think in the C-charts, that I want to print (at least a first release) before June 1st. I have asked for a new toner...

I used the A- and B-charts last weekend, this time in Milky Way fields (Vulpecula) and they work really well; you feel less lost with them.

jr_
sage

#1720496 - 07/16/07 02:10 PM

It has taken more time than expected, but I have finally printed (currently, it is being bound) the full version of the "triatlas". It is a single-volume book with around 400 pages (two-sides), with the A, B and C sections altogether. The A and B charts (release 1.0) can be grabbed from the links indicated in this thread. I have extended the web space, and have found room to place most of the C charts (630 charts: there are only 31 left because I have no more web space). For getting them, this is the link:

http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/section_c/

I must tell that, although imperfect, it is an extraordinary help for deep sky observers. I have corrected some problems but not the label overlaps yet. To give an idea, this is the M31 field:

About the contents of C-maps:

- It consists of 661 charts 10.5º x 8º in PDF files
- 1º = 2.5 cm (quite good scale; do not shrink the charts to print them!!)
- It shows stars up to 12.6 magnitude, quite good for the map scale, preserving a constant value in the whole atlas
- It shows galaxies up to 15.5 magnitude from PGC (unlabelled from mag. 15 to avoid cluttering), so there are around 37,000 galaxies plotted.
- It includes the revised version of NGC and IC (from the NGC/IC project), removing discarded objects
- ...1200 planetary nebulae
- ...1800 open clusters, and all globular clusters
- ...SH-2, RCW and other catalogues for bright nebulae (no LBN because of cluttering and repetitions): 900 objects
- ...LDN / Barnard for dark nebulae (1850 objects)
- ...Double stars whose main star is brighter than 11th magnitude (35,000 double stars)
- ...Variable stars whose maximum reaches the 12.5 magnitude (29,000 variable stars)
- ...There are some quasars (up to 16.5 mag) and galaxy clusters (all Hickson's and some Abell's)

I know it is not perfect. Sometimes one has to learn to reach compromise solutions, renouncing to changes that would imply stopping projects many months. I wanted my book before summer, and this is the best I could do up to the moment. I will consider other changes, but I do not know when, so this is what I can offer by now. I will not be able to solve other problems because I have job tasks to do in the next months. Thus, if somebody wants to grab the files, get them.

I hope that, in spite of the problems, many people will find this chart set useful. That was all my intention.

Pd. Wait a couple of days to download the whole set because I have enhanced some deep sky objects symbols

Edited by jr_ (07/16/07 02:15 PM)

rvr
journeyman

Reged: 03/27/06

Loc: Canary Islands, Spain
      #1730182 - 07/21/07 10:15 AM

José: Felicidades! I've downloaded all the charts and all I can say it's a fantastic tool for the observer!

My 2 cents are: (sub)marks for R.A. and Dec to make easier locating an object (i.e. a comet); and the name of the constellation inside its boundaries.

Senpai

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: rvr]
      #1730564 - 07/21/07 02:10 PM

Jose, excelent job!
Exactly to observation season!
Thank You so much!

jr_
sage

#1733459 - 07/23/07 05:18 AM

Hi rvr and Senpai!!!

This weekend I generated new A, B and C sets, and I have replaced (as I promised) the old charts by the new ones.

The A-charts include now outline numbers giving the center of the corresponding B (large outlines) and C (small outlines) charts. This makes the navigation very comfortable. So now the A-charts are the indexes to the B and C charts (the B-charts also include the center of the contained C-charts). I have also corrected some problems in the C set, incorporating some missed labels, removing some repetitions, changing symbols and adding some quasars and radiosources. For me now it is complete and can work perfectly well (with all the unsolved problems still remaining). Fainter stars are now slightly more differenciated, keeping as dots the faintest ones.

I have removed HyperLEDA and GSC from my web, so I have found space to store everything. The 661 charts of the C section are available to download: enjoy them with my best will!!!

C-SET (MAIN SET): 22 PDF files with 661 charts up to 12.6 mag

The links for the B-set (INTERMEDIATE SET), reaching 11 mag stars:

B -SET: charts 1 to 30

B -SET: charts 31 to 60

B -SET: charts 61 to 90

...and the links for the A-set (INDEX SET):

A-SET: 25 charts to 9 mag and main deep sky objects, with pointers to B- and C-maps

I will add constellation names near the boundaries in the next revision and tic marks in the axes to increase reading accuracy. I apologize for the problems still remaining: the work to do is so immense that I am overwhelmed. I hope that this atlas will be of good help, at least to some people.

Edited by jr_ (07/23/07 08:11 AM)

Senpai

#1733531 - 07/23/07 07:30 AM

Hi! Thanks, Jose!
Very good news!

PEterW
professor emeritus

#1733671 - 07/23/07 09:31 AM

Could you also put together a brief extra document that gives a key to symbols, a brief intruction to the atlas, a scale for the different sections and the magnitude scale as well. Otherwise I think you have excelled yourself, I hope that we can all publicise its existance to make sure that amateurs get the most from it.

Thanks

PEterW

macpurity

Reged: 10/24/04

Loc: Quad Cities, Iowa, USA
      #1733820 - 07/23/07 11:19 AM

After having downloaded everything just yesterday, now I'm doing it again! Not complaining, very happy to have such a great resource!

For fun, based on the earlier version of José's atlas, I made a side-by-side comparison of what is mapped in Uranometria (2nd ed.), The Millennium Atlas, and José's PDF atlas. I chose the region around Sheliak (beta Lyrae). It is amazing the detail that José's atlas brings out.

Click here to see the comparison.

Thanks José - its a terrific job!

MacP

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: macpurity]
      #1733872 - 07/23/07 11:45 AM

Peter,

Yes, I am preparing a one-chart key map for each series with the legend and the respective chart arrangement. I think that I could link them next week, likely on Monday. I am also preparing links from my website and a more formal presentation of this project. I am not satisfied with some problems, particularly overlaps and some object repeatitions (general and specific catalogues), but this is left to be solved in a future new release. Now is time to enjoy the maps... summer time...

macpurity,

Very nice and clear comparison. During the design of the TriAtlas, I had always in my mind the Millennium charts. I like the MSA, but have always found it with few deep sky objects for the scale and stars, and of course too bulky. I have never dare to bring mine to the field (not only by the weight, but also to avoid damaging it). The good of PDF maps is that we can replace charts easily, and there is no problem in mark them or print apart the ones we need. Now I am leaving to get my bound copy: one volume (only one book) with the three sections altogether. I hope that it be useful to everybody!!!

(Pd) I have just linked the files in a more organised way in a page within my website, and also in the Deep Sky Tools webpage

Edited by jr_ (07/25/07 04:24 AM)

Rumba

Reged: 09/08/04

Loc: Spain
      #1740793 - 07/26/07 04:11 PM

JR,

You've done another fine and useful job and I'm not sure if everybody in these forums is aware of all the amazing things that you're doing for amateur astronomy. Thank you!

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Rumba]
      #1741823 - 07/27/07 05:48 AM

Rumba,

Thanks a lot for your words. In the CN forums there are people with extremely different ideas, interests and tastes; so there will always be somebody who will take profit of it. I only intend to contribute to enjoy astronomy, as everybody here, and I am happy if I feel to be of some help.

Edited by jr_ (07/27/07 05:49 AM)

jr_
sage

#1821319 - 09/05/07 05:03 AM Attachment (254 downloads)

Hi everybody,

To complete the information, here there is a couple of pictures showing how I have prepared the two printed copies I am using. First, the three sections (A, B and C maps) in a single volume book. It has around 400 pages and fits perfectly in my accessory box:

Edited by jr_ (09/05/07 05:15 AM)

jr_
sage

#1821327 - 09/05/07 05:14 AM Attachment (201 downloads)

...and this is the A and B sections only ("field atlas"), with the pages protected in a plastic folder. I was using the atlas during all the summer with three diferent telescopes and the performance was really extraordinary. I could find very threshold objects more easily than ever before. I generally use the "field atlas" because it is dew protected, flexible and very comfortable to use, and the C section when I am looking hard objects and need more accuracy to spot them, or objects not printed in B maps because they did not fullfill the plotting conditions (less known open clusters, very small planetary nebulae or M31 globular clusters). With these new charts, I have enjoyed some of the best deep sky nights that I remember in all my life (in spite of the problems still remaining). By the way, I have problems preparing the indexes (it is hard to edit the files owing to their size), but I hope linking them soon.

Edited by jr_ (09/05/07 05:22 AM)

Philip Levine
professor emeritus

Reged: 03/22/07

Loc: near Boston, MA
      #1825136 - 09/06/07 10:27 PM

Jose,
Thanks for your wonderful charts, and all your hard work. I have enjoyed your CNebulaX program, and now you have made available your very detailed charts in PDF format.
A wonderful contribution to the astronomy community.
Phil

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Philip Levine]
      #1825609 - 09/07/07 07:29 AM

Thanks a lot, Phil. Have a look (next week) to the CNebulaX webpages. I am linking the first big update in nearly one year. The changes affect especially to the predictions comets and asteroids (now highly accurate and including all types of orbits, and there is a matter of evolution explorer quite useful). The printing system has been changed; the printed charts are now very similar to the TriAtlas maps (other changes: slideshow help, five-levels Milky Way, ephemeredes maker, highlighted Herschel 400+Messier+Dyer objects, coordinates at the frames, more data accessible through the clipboard, etc). I hope you will like it.

Edited by jr_ (09/07/07 07:31 AM)

R.bak

Reged: 04/13/07

Loc: Russian
      #1831833 - 09/10/07 08:45 AM

Good news, Jose! CNebulaX is very good program and I to wait impatiently new version.
Roman.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: R.bak]
      #1831867 - 09/10/07 09:16 AM

Hi R.Bak,

I am still finishing some features. I am having some busy days and I need some more time to finish everything. However, if you (or anybody) want to download and try a temporary update (1.7.1), grab it from here:

CNebulaX - provisional update 1.7.1

It still has some unfished features. Uncompress all the files preserving the folder structure replacing all the repeated files. I hope you will like it

Senpai

#1836177 - 09/12/07 08:45 AM

Thank You, Jose!
Very good news!

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 01/26/06

Loc: Enfield, NS Canada
      #1859419 - 09/23/07 12:54 AM

If I was to take these to Kinkos or Staples, what would I tell them to print, what sizes, paper stock.

My printer is not the greatest.

Also, the book you had made, can that be purchased?

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Magellan]
      #1860686 - 09/23/07 05:31 PM Attachment (219 downloads)

Jeff D (Magellan),

The maps are vector-based and can be printed in any page size without losses in resolution, selecting that paper size in printer properties, and scaling the maps to fit the page in the print dialog. My maps are printed in A4, which is the most usual European paper size (29.7x21cm). But in larger paper sizes, the maps would look better. Have a look to the screenshot, which corresponds to letter-size paper. Selecting "fit to margins", the charts will be resized to fill that paper size.

I printed my maps in a home printer (HP LaserJet 1022). I am providing the files, but I am afraid I cannot make prints for others because I have no infrastructure. Perhaps I could make a program to generate the charts sending them direcly to the printer, which would guarantee optimal printouts quality, but this would be after Christmas. Now I can't do it (job reasons).

Edited by jr_ (09/23/07 05:37 PM)

Marcin

Reged: 06/05/07

#1864103 - 09/25/07 07:31 AM

Jose any luck with index files ? I'm looking forward to it to put everything together before binding.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Marcin]
      #1866464 - 09/26/07 03:15 AM

Hi Marcin,

The problem with the indexes is that they are so large that I cannot edit them to add legends, frames, etc. I have tried it with CorelDraw and Adobe Illustrator, and I can't. But, anyway, here you have the raw PDF files I have prepared:

Raw index file to section A (pdf)

Raw index file to section B (pdf)

Raw index file to section C (pdf)

However, since A section includes indexes to B and C maps, I think that they are not too necessary. I prepared them before including the complete indexes in A maps. I hope they will help.

BTW, I use a small trick. Just think in section A as if it were the Sky Atlas 2000. The A maps are more or less similar, so the charts are more or less close. For instance if we wanted the Aquila area, the S2000 maps should be 16 (years of practice makes S2000 charts very familiar to everybody). So the A maps should be close to 16 (it actually is the A15). Once there, we have indications of all contained B and C maps.

Edited by jr_ (09/26/07 03:24 AM)

macpurity

Reged: 10/24/04

Loc: Quad Cities, Iowa, USA
      #2332631 - 04/16/08 10:59 PM

Another fantastic job, Jose. I loved the first edition and this is an excellent improvement.

For fun, I layered a 1 degree by 1 degree part of your atlas (of M23, don't ask me why) over a corresponding Digital Sky Survey (DSS) image. The level of detail in your atlas is phenomenal. My 120mm refractor will never capture this kind of detail, but I also stare at the DSS images and I am grateful to have a good guide, like your atlas, to explore with.

Here's a link to the overlay - prepare your eyes!

http://www.pbase.com/macpurity/image/95741623

Thanks for the contribution, Jose.

MacP

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: macpurity]
      #2333806 - 04/17/08 01:17 PM

macpurity

I have made some overlays of maps and pictures, but always with CNebulaX (never with the TriAtlas). I knew that the accuracy was good, but I had not seen a really objective proof like this so far (only intuition and evaluation of the plot conditions). Thanks for showing it!!!! M23 is only 27' in diameter, and the stars overlay perfectly on it. Ahhh, I cannot resist... Why M23?

I take advantage of this message to tell you that I have the B-chartset of the TriAtlas second edition in USA paper (8x15") ready. It was more easy than I expected. I hope to make it available in very few time. The European edition (A4 paper size) can be grabbed from the Triatlas project download page (PDF files of A, B and C sets, and respective keycharts)

Edited by jr_ (04/17/08 01:26 PM)

macastronomer

Reged: 04/27/05

Loc: Rochester, MN
      #2558700 - 08/04/08 12:59 AM

Using the C set for Herschel objects and found a few inconsistencies in the bold type.

These should be bold:

Not sure if 5866B should be bold but I think so.

and a strange one, 3226 is only partially bold.

I've used this for a bit, searching out the Herschel 400 and the chart works very well. Good job. Now, if anybody knows of a way to protect the pages from dew without spending a bundle or making it 6" thick

o1d_dude
o1der than dirt

Reged: 10/03/07

Loc: The Wolfpack
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: macastronomer]
      #2558833 - 08/04/08 04:05 AM

Great idea to sticky this thread!

Nothing like having direct input with the author of these wonderful star charts.

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: o1d_dude]
      #2571861 - 08/10/08 11:01 AM

is that the panoramic set I have been waiting for??? I like sky atlas field or deluxe size, is it very similar?

macastronomer

Reged: 04/27/05

Loc: Rochester, MN
      #2573608 - 08/11/08 01:35 AM Attachment (249 downloads)

Went through the trouble of making a table for the Herschel 400 objects cross referencing which map they are on.

Tom TAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: macastronomer]
      #2663148 - 09/25/08 06:36 PM

Uh, anybody got current links??

Starman1

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Tom T]
      #2663206 - 09/25/08 07:20 PM

Tom:
http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/triatlas.html

Tom TAdministrator

Reged: 02/26/02

#2663247 - 09/25/08 07:47 PM

Thanks Don. This looks perfect for my class.

BCB
Undercover Saboteur

Reged: 11/24/03

Loc: Look over your shoulder
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Tom T]
      #2663505 - 09/25/08 10:40 PM

T, have you ever taken a glance at the Mag 7 charts? Might be good too..

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: BCB]
      #2663986 - 09/26/08 07:43 AM

Hi everybody,

I was in holidays and have had a quite busy come back to work. These are the links for the temporary (still in progress) panoramic edition. I still have to discuss with Casey Skelton, but I have printed a copy and I think it is a quite good starting point. The fonts are too small. Anyway, just to show you the current state and give the chance to give suggestions to enhance it (and copy/print whoever want it), here they are: 31 new maps in both A3 and tabloid paper size. When it be finally ready, it will be fairly equivalent to Sky Atlas 2000, but much deeper, and probably double number of charts. Enjoy...

http://cgi.unk.edu/triatlas/proof/A3_proof1.pdf

http://cgi.unk.edu/triatlas/proof/tabloid_proof1.pdf

Edited by jr_ (09/26/08 07:51 AM)

Casey

Reged: 07/17/08

Loc: Noblesville, IN, USA
      #2685317 - 10/07/08 12:46 PM

Hello all!!

FYI-I am a "newbie" to this group but I have been working with Jose on the TriAtlas and CNebulaX projects. I just wanted to let you all know that things are in full swing for the next release of the TriAtlas. We have listened to your concerns, needs and wants and are incorporating many into to next release. Not everyone can be satisfied but you will have to admit that the TriAtlas is the most in-depth atlas you will ever use and it is FREE!! One of the major concerns that is being addressed is the amount of information(clutter) on some of the charts. This will be addressed by dividing those charts into 2 and sometimes even four individual charts. All of the information will still be there but in a "zoomed in" mode. The fonts have also been a concern and this is being looked at and some changes have been made.

Our main concern with the charts is that we keep the integrity of them and that all of the information given is legible and accurate. As always, any and all concerns posted by the group are looked at and if the concern can be implemented without taking away from the original purpose of the charts it will be done.

The release date of the next set has not been established but when it is everyone here will be the first to know.

Clear Skies to you all!!!

Casey

Happy Birthday RobFriedman

Reged: 12/25/05

Loc: Long Island, NY
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Casey]
      #2695231 - 10/12/08 06:17 PM

just to make a small note on JR's page
the maps are INCREDIBLE!!!!!!

second.. the Triatlas _USA-A index isnt correct. The USa maps correspond to the Triatlas A index (or close enough
the USA is still in landscape maps so it only shows 13 maps, while the euro one shows all 25.
sorry just want to help... it (and his software) are utterly amazing!!!!
I just found my favorite maps!!!

Casey

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: RobFriedman]
      #2695289 - 10/12/08 06:57 PM

Rob,

The Index for the "A" charts seems to be incorrect as you have noted. I will pass this on to Jose and get it fixed for the next release.

Yes, these maps are incredible and we are happy you like them.

Clear Skies!!
Casey

Casey

#2698538 - 10/14/08 12:44 PM

There is an algorithm issue in the code that is affecting the "A" chart index and it is being looked into and corrected.

st3ve

Reged: 08/15/08

Loc: san jose, california
      #2715916 - 10/24/08 11:40 AM

I suppose that I should just print the old version if I can't wait, but... Will there be a new set of Z charts in the next month or so? I've enjoyed the A and B set that I printed; I think the Z set might be even more fun.
What a wonderful gift to the community these charts are!
steve

Casey

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: st3ve]
      #2718156 - 10/25/08 08:41 PM

Steve,

Jose and I have a meeting tentatively scheduled for tomorrow to go over our progress. It looks like the panoramic set will be the first to be released and then work on the A, B, C and Z charts begin. Most of the work will be done with the exception of a few minor adjustments. Jose has been very busy at the University and his time there is at a premium now. He should be in full swing again by the end of next week with work on the charts as he is very keen on getting this accomplished.

Emanuele
Lord of the Ring

Reged: 11/19/03

Loc: Brescia-Italy, and Iowa-US
      #2719143 - 10/26/08 03:18 PM

Casey,

first of all I'd like to say thank you for this superb project!
Fantastic!!

I found that the A1 chart on the A-set is missing the constellation names overlay! Just a little head-up if you please could correct that.

EDIT: Uh...hold on, I see that atlas Z1 does not have that as well, so maybe it is supposed to be like that? sorry my ignorance on the subject...

st3ve

Reged: 08/15/08

Loc: san jose, california
      #2763940 - 11/21/08 10:11 PM

Hey, isn't the index to the A charts fixed now in "letter" format?
Thanks; I was about to print another copy using the A4 index, but it's too cluttered.
The A one works now!
steve

Casey

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: st3ve]
      #2769300 - 11/25/08 08:22 AM

Hello everyone!!

FYI- We are getting very close to the release of the updated charts and let me tell you what, they look GOOD!!

If things go as planned (fingers crossed) you should have the new charts before Christmas.

Clear Skies!!
Casey

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

#2793610 - 12/08/08 11:30 AM

Panoramic as well?

jr_
sage

#2850864 - 01/08/09 03:41 AM

Just for the discussion, here it is the first trial panoramic set (in A3 by now), with 56 charts in three PDF files. The final charts will be sorted by decreasing RA, there will be zoom charts for several regions (i.e., Sagittarius center, Virgo cluster, etc), and the objects will be slightly threshold up or down in some charts. There is also a companion catalogue listing all the objects in each chart, including double stars. Casey and me still have to solve some details and want a color set too with filled outlined objects. Have a look. We thought have solved most of the problems, and the charts still keep a high limiting magnitude and a quite huge collection of DSO. These are the links:

http://cgi.unk.edu/triatlas/proof/temp3/TRIATLAS_A3_1.pdf
http://cgi.unk.edu/triatlas/proof/temp3/TRIATLAS_A3_2.pdf
http://cgi.unk.edu/triatlas/proof/temp3/TRIATLAS_A3_3.pdf

Edited by jr_ (01/08/09 05:08 AM)

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

#2863875 - 01/14/09 08:54 AM

They look really nice. I can't wait to laminate and bound it

When do you expect them to be finished, bar any delays that is

treaves

Reged: 01/27/09

Loc: Homerville Launch Facility
      #2929820 - 02/15/09 07:12 PM

Just an FYI: all of the US Letter size links from the http://www.uv.es/jrtorres/triatlas.html are down. Seems like an configured Xserv.

treaves

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: treaves]
      #2929823 - 02/15/09 07:13 PM

Ah; same machine that jr has for the A3 panoramic too. So they aren't available either.

Coen

Reged: 08/11/08

#2929844 - 02/15/09 07:30 PM

I believe NGC 2257 (border of Dor & Pic) has the wrong size (it is more like 3' not 30')

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: Coen]
      #2930595 - 02/16/09 08:47 AM

hello,

Sorry for the links. I have half of the triatlas files stored in my own webspace (the A4/A3 editions), whereas the letter/tabloid editions were stored in a space that was kindly donated for file sharing. That has been working during more than a year. Unfortunately, I discovered recently that all the files in the USA ftp site were deleted without warning me, and it seems that I have no access to the ftp site to reload them.

I am afraid that I have no more webspace, I have all my webspace exhausted with the CNebulaX and the TriAtlas A4/A3 files. If somebody could lend space for file sharing, I will reload them; I have no solution by now.

onwebnow
journeyman

Reged: 07/18/07

#2930647 - 02/16/09 09:26 AM

Hello,

You can find the tri atlas 2nd ed. on my website: http://pixelsetphotons.com/index.php/Cartes-Stellaires/Voir-categorie.html

JR_: if you i can host the trial panoramic too. Send me a mail or PM if you are intersted and i willl give you an ftp account to upload them

best regards

Thierry

treaves

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: onwebnow]
      #2930819 - 02/16/09 11:10 AM

onwebnow: the metric paper sizes are still available; it's the US sizes that are now gone (and I was looking for).

onwebnow
journeyman

#2931000 - 02/16/09 12:39 PM

oops, sorry but if jr_ is ok i can host this too

jr_
sage

#2934450 - 02/18/09 04:13 AM

Thank you for the kind offer. Naturally, I accept with the most pleasure. I will reload the letter/tabloid editions as soon as I have access to the ftp site (and the panoramic edition too, that Casey and me are finishing). I would like to have more web space in my own server but I have not: all the space I own is already dedicated to store these files (and CNebulaX) for sharing them with everybody.

The size for NGC 2257 is wrong in the database, indeed; it is an error coming from the databases I used to build the CNebulaX. It is a much smaller globular cluster. Thank you for the info!!! I will correct it.

onwebnow
journeyman

#2936591 - 02/19/09 03:21 AM

Hello,

I have just sent the FTP account to Jose.
Until the files will upload, i will post here the acces to the tri atlas

Thierry

treaves

#2949319 - 02/25/09 04:29 PM

Any update on this?

NyxAither
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 09/11/07

#2996420 - 03/21/09 02:46 PM

Wow! This is amazing! I would like it if you posted a link to this in the useful links sections of the imaging and viewing forums unless you already have!

treaves

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: NyxAither]
      #2998400 - 03/22/09 03:00 PM

This isn't specific to this star map, but why is it that people have to bastardize the constellations, turning them into what they are not? Leo does NOT contain that many stars, and adding them in no way makes it look more like a lion.

How sad.

jr_
sage

#2999664 - 03/23/09 09:35 AM

IMHO, when the charts are zoomed (as in section C), having the lines plotted helps a lot to relate the charts of one set to the others, helping to appraise better the region we are seeing, and making the navigation trough the charts easier and more intuitive. Without lines, relating the charts to the sky is unnecesairily harder. For me it is of great help, and honestly, I do not want to remove them, neither see the least problem with them. But it is just an opinion.

Edited by jr_ (03/23/09 12:36 PM)

treaves

#3001356 - 03/23/09 11:20 PM

No, I'm fine with lines. What I'm not fine is EXTRA/ALTERNATE lines. For example, your lines for Leo, in addition to not being authentic/original, look no more like a lion, and are impossible to point out to someone in the sky.

It's a monstrosity.

Starman1

#3001557 - 03/24/09 02:11 AM

Quote:

No, I'm fine with lines. What I'm not fine is EXTRA/ALTERNATE lines. For example, your lines for Leo, in addition to not being authentic/original, look no more like a lion, and are impossible to point out to someone in the sky.

It's a monstrosity.

Hmm.
I've looked at all the constellation drawings, and they resemble the charts I learned from Sky & Tel in the early '60s. It used to be common to connect a lot more dots than they do on contemporary charts because, I believe, most people then could see more stars in the sky.
The extra lines added on these charts are usually, so far as I can see, added to lead one to deep sky objects by star hopping along lines connecting stars, and so would be very useful to a dob owner using, say, a Telrad to find objects.
Plus the extra lines are certainly not obtrusive.
His Leo is very much the way I learned to connect the dots way back when, and the only extra lines I see are the line passing M65/66 and the zig-zag under Regulus, which is more commonly shown as a line connecting Regulus to o Leonis.

On the older maps of my youth, I used to appreciate extra lines connecting stars in the constellations as they helped the eye discriminate where the true constellation boundaries were. Such is the case here. I don't find the extra lines monstrous anywhere, since the basic lines are similar to the common drawings. I miss the complicated renderings of yesteryear. The simplified connect-the-dots patterns used on modern charts seem incomplete, to me.

What I object to is that the lines drawn to identify a star with its Bayer letter seem to be extra lines in the pattern, and THAT is visual pollution.

Edited by Starman1 (03/24/09 02:14 AM)

HfxObserver
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/04

Loc: Regina, SK, Canada
      #3037211 - 04/10/09 10:50 PM

Nice charts!

Is there a way to get the panoramic referred to above?

-Chris

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: HfxObserver]
      #3056488 - 04/21/09 04:28 AM

I have just updated all the the links in the main download page:

There must be no broken links now. You'll find there all files of the five editions, in both Europe and USA page formats (included the two panoramic editions).

Anyway, these are direct links to download the two panoramic editions (56 landscape charts, around 45x30º, reaching 9.8 magnitude and showing more objects than Sky Atlas 2000):

(1) In A3 for Europe

http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_A3_1.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_A3_2.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_A3_3.pdf

(2) In Tabloid for USA:

http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_Tabloid_1.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_Tabloid_2.pdf
http://pixelsetphotons.com/triatlas/PROOF/Panoramic_Tabloid_3.pdf

Hope that all links are well set. If you detect any problem, please report to me or to Casey. Hope you'll like the panoramic sets!!!

PEterW
professor emeritus

#3057633 - 04/21/09 03:44 PM

Excellent news. Well done to everyone involved in this mammoth project! A truly amazing resource.

Thanks

PEterW

star drop
contra contrail

Reged: 02/02/08

Loc: Snow Plop, WNY
      #3090338 - 05/07/09 11:00 AM

Thank you to all involved on this wonderful resource.

Magellan
Pooh-Bah

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: star drop]
      #3094347 - 05/09/09 11:31 AM

Just so you know, the index for the panorama set is A3 even for Tabloid and the index is also missing chart number references for most of Virgo and spring sky. All along the far right. The charts aren't missing, just the references

I priced printing on tabloid and laminating each chart at around $205 CAN. But they can't spriral bind them at Staples, oh well. Not bad considering "other" atlases that do not go as deep and are not laminated run around the same price.

What I would really love to make is a Closeup of the Virgo Cluster, Pleiades and Orion. I nice acetate overlay with to scale telrad circles and various field of view circles with ones to scale with closeup charts. I wonder how I could make one of those.

okiestarman56
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 04/10/08

Loc: 36.40'10.30"N 96.20'04.90" W
      #3095405 - 05/09/09 11:43 PM

That would be a nice addition,Also if you bet and acetate overlay i'll take one to.

Clear Skies
Jerry

joner
sage

Reged: 05/01/09

Loc: south east Ireland.
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: okiestarman56]
      #3129012 - 05/26/09 07:31 PM

Thank's for all your work and your free gift to the community jr.

I asked my cousin to print the A-set out for me in work on A3 and it is very clear and easy to read. I'm gonna be really nice to him and ask him to print me out the B-set in the next few wwek's .

Thank's again jr.

joner.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: joner]
      #3129619 - 05/27/09 04:02 AM

Thank you joner, I am more than pleased with your words . I did not print it scaled in A3 so far, but people who have done it tell me that they got great results. I use my copy in A4 format. If it is printed in normal page size (A4/letter), it is very important (I am not sure if most people realise of it) that do NOT print it shrinking to fit to the margins, because the fonts suffer a very dramatic reduction in size. It must be printed with no scaling down. The font size is the most important issue to solve, the rest is quite fine in the current version.

joner
sage

Reged: 05/01/09

Loc: south east Ireland.
      #3129662 - 05/27/09 05:25 AM

Here is a pic of the a full page of the A-set in A3 size sheet,

And a closeup of the same page in the region of Casiopia,

I need some clear sky's now .

The Champion's league final is on tonight and I'le be rootin for Barcelona (I'm a neutral)in honour of jr's map's . I'm gonna bring my cousin out to see the match and be very very nice to him .

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: joner]
      #3130118 - 05/27/09 11:47 AM

Great images, joner!!! I'm sure that the weather will be as fine there as it is here right now (blue sky, no cloud). I just wish that the hellish work time I'm having in the last weeks will finish soon. Hehehe, I am not fan of football, but tonight I will do an exception and will support the Barcelona. Dark and clean skies there!!!

Edited by jr_ (05/27/09 11:48 AM)

mcbbcn

Reged: 03/10/07

Loc: Portland, OR
      #3136275 - 05/30/09 06:16 PM

Hola Jose,

Mi nombre es Miguel Casas, y vivo en Portland, OR. Naci en Barcelona y entendio que siendo de Valencia, no seas fan del Barcelona, pero tambien entiendo porque haces una exception.

Te queria dar la enhorabuena por el maravilloso regalo que has hecho al mundo de la astronomia. Yo soy una astrofotografo amateur y cuando descubri el regalo que le has hechno a la comunidad astronomica, no me lo podia creer.

Te voy an enviar un email por separado tambien!!!

Saludos,

Miguel Casas
Portland, OR

HfxObserver
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 11/12/04

Loc: Regina, SK, Canada
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: mcbbcn]
      #3394822 - 10/17/09 03:37 PM

I believe there is an error on the chart B in the North American Nebula. The Chart shows B352 where I believe it is the location for B353, 352 would be farther North and much larger.

See Barnards Chart;

http://www.library.gatech.edu/Barnard_Project_W/chart/Bar-pt2-cht046_sm.jpg

Great Charts! I use them for most of my observing sessions.

-Chris

astrotrf
Not at all Mundane

Reged: 09/30/07

Loc: Rodeo, NM
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: HfxObserver]
      #3494230 - 12/10/09 02:36 PM

I'm looking, specifically, at chart B9, but the error exists in all of B1 - B9. The arc marking the northern boundary of the constellation Cepheus (running near Polaris) is drawn as a complete circle around the pole on these charts rather than running from about 22h 40m to 09h 00m as it should.

This error was present in the constellation boundaries data file as I received it from the NASA Astronomical Data System. I sent them a correction to this in 1995 -- but obviously, it hasn't caught on everywhere.

You'll also find a *doubled* set of constellation boundary lines between Serpens and Ophiuchus at 18h 32m and +4 degrees (I'm looking at chart B49 now). This error was similarly in the same NASA ADS constellation data set, and I sent them *that* correction as well. Regrettably, I no longer recall which of the two lines was in error.

I can, however, send you my own updated copy of the corrected constellation boundaries data file, if you're interested.

jr_
sage

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: astrotrf]
      #3856942 - 06/10/10 04:39 AM

Hello,

I am linking the indexes for the A, B and C edition (well, much more: it is a catalogue of the best objects with annotations of the SAC database when possible). It corresponds mainly to the B edition. The data are more or less as follows (this is a single line in the catalogue as an example):

NGC 7831 00 07.3 +32 37 AND GALXY Sb 12.8m 1.5'X0.3' 38º20.5 eF,vS,mE,vF*vnr\IC1530\89-4\A1-B26-C126-53

...to decode as:
NAME=NGC 7831
RA=00 07.3
DEC=+32 37
CONSTELATION=AND
TYPE=GALXY
SUBTYPE=Sb
MAGNITUDE=12.8m
SIZE=1.5'X0.3'
POSITION ANGLE=38º
SURFACE BRIGHTNESS=20.5
NOTES=eF,vS,mE,vF*vnr
OTHER NAMES=IC1530
URANOMETRIA AND SKY ATLAS 2000 (1st ed)=89-4
TRIATLAS CHARTS=A1-B26-C126-53 <====complementary 11 mag edition)

Not always the lines are like this, but this example is fairly repressentative. I have to say that I did this catalogue for personal usage: I wanted to print it in landscape layout, in two columns with small fonts (that's why some long entries are split in two lines). It is not prepared for satisfying the taste of others (just personal usage), but maybe it can be useful for some of you.

Hope this will be of help. I'm afraid I am too busy in job things to work in the triatlas project, but this is what I use and it is highly practical The catalague is sorted by constellations, and then in two blocks (deep sky objects and double stars) and within this, sorted by RA and DEC. It is around 190 pages with a monospaced font (Monotype 6 points) in word. Since it is plain text, everybody can edit it at his/her own taste.

This is the link:
Text document (ZIP compressed) with the a catalogue and the A-B-C-Z indexes

Enjoy and clear skies

Manousos

Reged: 06/11/08

Loc: Crete-Hellas
      #3951107 - 07/29/10 07:56 AM

Hello and congratulation for you hard work for making such a good chart. I've printed all sets in A4 paper and I use B-C in my observing sessions. This chart is a good alternative for someone who cannon afford the commercially available charts.

The A-set is ok. Although in B-C and C-set some regions are very dense and overlap with labels (especially in the Milky-way regions and in Galaxy clusters). So in these regions its very hard to read.

How to solve this problem?
Do you think if I print the pages in A3 paper would be eliminate this problem;
I would also prefer in galaxy clusters to have a close up page such as Uranometria. Is it possible to make these closeups with CnebulaX and how I make pdf vector export;

nunciusaustralis
sage

Reged: 09/25/09

Loc: Rio de janeiro, Brazil
      #4005620 - 08/25/10 03:11 PM

I cant acess your atlas . The link is Broken or inexistent.
I Will like to have your atlas.
Great job.

Edited by desertstars (08/25/10 04:35 PM)

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: nunciusaustralis]
      #4005802 - 08/25/10 04:41 PM

Use the link in his signature line.

marques

Reged: 03/03/08

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: desertstars]
      #4358558 - 02/02/11 04:15 PM

Hi!
I´ve been using this magnificent, and free, atlases for a few years. I use mainly the A set for finding not so dificult things or closing in in tricky ones, and the B or B-C to find them.
But I have a question, to see if someone can help me. I wanted to do a transparent template with circles for the telrad, the finder and/or eyepieces, but I don´t know what´s the scale of the atlases, or if the scale is constant in all the charts.
Any idea?

clatot

Reged: 05/29/11

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky atlas new [Re: jr_]
      #4610660 - 05/30/11 10:04 AM

super atlas for astroamateur...

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky atlas new [Re: jr_]
      #5057376 - 02/05/12 07:09 PM

I am unable to get the links to work?

Starman1

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky atlas new [Re: faackanders2]
      #5057402 - 02/05/12 07:27 PM

try this:

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky atlas new [Re: Starman1]
      #5057784 - 02/06/12 12:52 AM

Quote:

try this:

Thanks! This one works!

Ken A.

winterspace

Reged: 10/15/07

#5366931 - 08/13/12 05:22 PM

Hello Jose A:

Referring to the Intermediate Set B / C with 218 Detailed charts, which is great for collection, I wondered if it would be possible to do in vision mirror, prism diagonal telescope, would be perfect for refractors and catadioptricos.

Do not know if I could perform them myself from CnebulaX, might try it with the parameters of that series but with inverted vision horizontally.

thanks and regards

Luis

pjglad
sage

Reged: 01/29/11

Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: winterspace]
      #5762311 - 03/28/13 12:28 PM

Legend Question:

1) ASSOC ?
2) CL+NB ?

Thanks!

rinalmj
sage

Reged: 11/23/09

Loc: Saxonburg, PA
Re: 3Atlas (PDF) project:: 9, 11 and 13 mag sky at new [Re: pjglad]
      #5762528 - 03/28/13 02:48 PM

Does anyone have a way of sharing the intermediate sets? They're currently not available through the website.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 45934

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics