Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)
burb scope
sage

Reged: 04/18/08

Loc: Canton, MI
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Doug Reilly]
      #4022004 - 09/02/10 12:38 PM

Doug - May I have your permission to add that photo (and credit it to you) into my digital copy of BCH, which may or may not ever be distributed by Dover?

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
burb scope
sage

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: burb scope]
      #4022121 - 09/02/10 01:28 PM

The raindrops on the monument are rather poignant.

Doug Reilly
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/08

#4022246 - 09/02/10 02:15 PM

Absolutely. I should have that listed as a creative commons image, but I haven't been keeping up with those settings. You can attribute to Doug Reilly (xenar on flickr)

burb scope
sage

#4022419 - 09/02/10 03:22 PM

Doug - Much appreciated!

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
      #4025901 - 09/04/10 11:01 AM

Thanks for sharing the photo here, Doug!

Edited by Traveler (09/04/10 11:02 AM)

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: mtnmedic]
      #4028641 - 09/05/10 09:06 PM

I'm looking at my hardback volumes now. This great work has helped and inspired me for many years.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
      #4028643 - 09/05/10 09:08 PM

Quote:

I've read what I could find about Burnham's life and like any life it seems to have been a complicated one. Was he wronged? It seems so, at least by some. Was he helped? A lot of people tried? Was he brilliant? I'd say so. Troubled? That too. The outcome was sad. But he is vindicated by the love that pours out in these forums for his work. That, and the proper motion studies he worked tirelessly on for years, are his legacy. It's not a bad one.

No--his legacy is a great one!

Doug Reilly
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/29/08

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: GeneT]
      #4031278 - 09/07/10 09:39 AM

gtown1,
I agree, I was just understating in my last line there.

This is the about the best article I could find on Burnham, it's been posted on CN before but I'll repeat it, it's well worth the read and I think it does his story some justice:

http://cometography.com/biographies/burnhamr.html

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: BobinKy]
      #4034747 - 09/08/10 07:38 PM

A digital index for a published work should be fine so long as you don't reproduce a commercially relevant amount of material from the work. Copying mere chapter titles and creating single-work page references shouldn't be a problem any more than is creating a bibliography referencing portions of a work cited in another work.

However, Burnham's is well organized by constellation, so as long as you know what constellation your target resides in, it's pretty easy to find the text related to that target. I'm not certain a digital index would be all that useful as a result.

Regards,

Jim

jrbarnett
Eyepiece Hooligan

Reged: 02/28/06

Loc: Petaluma, CA
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: bkruschwitz]
      #4034816 - 09/08/10 08:08 PM

The copyright page might not, for example, indicate whether or not the author subsequently assigned the copyright to Dover. Also, it's not uncommon for the publisher to register the copyright in the author's name, but contractually have perpetual, global publishing and adaptation rights to the work.

It's true that the copyright comes into existence in the work at the moment it is fixed in a tangible medium, and with a few exceptions, that copyright is owned initially by the author (the exceptions being creation of a work under a work-for-hire contract or creation by an employee in the course and scope of their employment).

From that point forward, however, the copyright is a property right that can be alienated (sold, encumbered, licensed exclusively, etc.) by the author/owner.

problem is, Dover's agreement with Burnham is a private contract. Only Dover knows exactly what it provided. It might be possible for the estate to obtain a copy of the publishing agreement from Dover, but for you or me to do so would be unlikely.

Lastly, there's a much higher probability that adaptation of the work for one's own, personal use, and not for resale or distribution to others, might constitute a "fair use" of the copyrighted work. The "fair use" doctrine acts as an exception to the copyright owner's rights to limit copying and adaptation of the work.

Regards,

Jim

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#4035227 - 09/08/10 11:28 PM

Doug, thanks so much for sharing this. My wife and I spent a bit of time at Lowell Observatory last fall, and I somehow overlooked this. Very poignant...

Matthew Ota
Hmmm

Reged: 04/30/05

Loc: Los Angeles, California
      #4037069 - 09/09/10 06:43 PM

If your PDF files is legible, I would contact the publisher/copyright holder to see if they would be interested in buying the rights to it and selling it.

However, the most difficult problem would be updating the 1950s era coordinates up to date with the 2000 coordinates.

As for ebooks it is still to early to proclaim that they are better than good old fashioned bound ones. as they need to be standardized first.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #4037197 - 09/09/10 07:48 PM

Quote:

However, the most difficult problem would be updating the 1950s era coordinates up to date with the 2000 coordinates.

Not necessary. The difference between 1950 and 2000 coordinates just isn't that great. The first edition of U2000 has a feature that allows you to pinpoint objects by 1950 coordinates. It's always a very small shift.

deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #4052838 - 09/16/10 07:36 PM

You've done something I've often contemplated. I bought a second copy to go under the knife, as it were. But I changed my mind - because what is really needed is a complete update to this work, one that will have the editor disappear into the long shadow of Burnham, other than to revise coordinates and provide a "living errata" section where double star parameters and the like could be revised. I've thought about this for years and have the time to do this right - who would I talk to at Dover to perhaps get a project underway?

-drl

deSitter
Still in Old School

Reged: 12/09/04

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Matthew Ota]
      #4052858 - 09/16/10 07:48 PM

Quote:

If your PDF files is legible, I would contact the publisher/copyright holder to see if they would be interested in buying the rights to it and selling it.

As for ebooks it is still to early to proclaim that they are better than good old fashioned bound ones. as they need to be standardized first.

Because the Dover edition has superbly sharp printing, simple OCA and automatic conversion should be possible to bulk-update all the coordinates listed.

The differences between "then" and "now" are significant enough to cause issues at the eyepiece - I would like to use my Autostar to locate the faint doubles without having recourse to a computer. Finding a dim double in 1950 coordinates without Hipparcos or Tycho cross-referencing, can be a real task, particularly in a crowded star field.

-drl

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: deSitter]
      #4052988 - 09/16/10 08:45 PM

Quote:

who would I talk to at Dover to perhaps get a project underway?

You need to ask someone at Dover that question.

mtnmedic
Late for dinner

Reged: 11/09/04

Loc: Antelope, Oregon
Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #4059248 - 09/19/10 05:54 PM

wow...all these posts since my last one...no notifications of any. Need to check something...

Daniel Mounsey
Vendor (Woodland Hills)

Reged: 06/12/02

#4067270 - 09/23/10 01:51 AM

This is a thoughtful thread to the greatest works BCH. At one period I did think about supporting the idea of having the book digital and perhaps it should for those who wish to compress it, but when i still think about it, I'd still rather hold the books in my hand and read them as I still do today and have for the past 15 years. I now have four complete sets, two sets hardbound and two sets soft bound. Most heart filled books of astronomy ever produced.

burb scope
sage

Re: Burnham's Celestial Handbook - Digital new [Re: Daniel Mounsey]
      #4067411 - 09/23/10 05:54 AM

I don't think that coordinate conversions are necessary.
If you are reading the .PDF on a computer, then you should be able to change to another screen running a precession program to update the coordinates. Likewise, if you want to see a better photo of M64, change to another screen and web search to your heart's content.
I am still in favor of an unaltered digital copy of the original work.

jedimasterk
sage

Reged: 01/30/06

#4079884 - 09/29/10 02:47 AM

A Kindle edition would be really nice.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 20936

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics