Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)
Rudra

Reged: 07/02/10

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5383063 - 08/23/12 03:55 PM

Rick was kind enough to share the idea of putting binder hole reinforcements on the maps about two years ago and heeding his advice I put them on all the sheets both sides. The activity took me like 3 hours to complete but I can rest assured that I wouldn't be seeing any tear on the binder holes of the maps.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5383155 - 08/23/12 04:55 PM

Quote:

Recieved our copy today. Very well packed, triple boxed with styrafoam blocks surrounding the charts.

A Double Wow!!, from both my Wife and I.

Diffraction limited cup not included.

Excellent packaging job! Thanks for sharing the picture.

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: turtle86]
      #5384848 - 08/24/12 04:10 PM

Has anyone in the US purchased one recently? I've been waiting on delivery for about 3 weeks since purchase.

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5385043 - 08/24/12 06:35 PM

I ordered one on Aug 3rd... The thing said two months, so I figure two months. If there's a glut of orders on account of the going out of print sale, I'll cut 'em some slack and wait longer.

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: bumm]
      #5385363 - 08/24/12 09:59 PM

Great. I'm certainly in no hurry.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5385744 - 08/25/12 03:15 AM

It's worth waiting for.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Scotophobe Maryland, USA
      #5386135 - 08/25/12 11:14 AM

I cancelled my order yesterday. Piotr immediately refunded the money to my PayPal account.

One advantage to having a relatively long time between order and shipment of a product, is that you have the opporunity to reconsider your purchase. I kept asking myself, "Do I really need a large scale printed star atlas?" and "Do I really want a large scale printed star atlas?" The answer was a consistent "No" to the first question, which gradually led to a consistent "No" to the second.

For the last several trips to my dark site, I don't think I've consulted a printed atlas more than once per night. Most of those nights, I never even opened a printed atlas. Now I virtually exclusively use SkySafari Pro on my Android tablet to star hop and to read descriptions of DSO.

The only defect I see in SSP is its lack of naturalistic depictions of dark nebulae. SSP depicts DN as squares of various sizes. Not exacly useful in the field. But the GAS does not show dark nebulae at all. So the GAS would be of no use to me.

On the other hand, SSP "contains over 15.3 million stars from the Hubble Guide Star catalog, plus 740,000 galaxies down to 18th magnitude, and over 580,000 solar system objects - including every comet and asteroid ever discovered." (SSP website) How could any printed atlas hope to compete with that?

About a year ago I purchased the "Cambridge Atlas of Herschel Objects." I didn't think through that purchase very well either. Sure, it contains all the Herschel Objects. But on the charts they are labeled with the antiquated H designations, not the modern NGC numbers! An utterly useless purchase for me. I have never taken the CAHO into the field. Sure, there is an index that gives the equivalent NGC number for all H designations. But why would I want to go through that hastle? (By the way, if a publishing house comes out with a similar atlas which substitutes NGC for H labels, I would still consider buying it.)

OK, folks. Now just because I cancelled my order doesn't mean anyone else has to! If you have an actual need for the GAS or even just "want" it for whatever reason, go for it. We don't all have to follow the same course in this hobby. After all, it is a hobby!

Mike

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5386292 - 08/25/12 01:03 PM

Quote:

I cancelled my order yesterday. Piotr immediately refunded the money to my PayPal account.

Mike, how did you do that ? By Email to Piotr ?

Thanks

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
      #5386302 - 08/25/12 01:08 PM

Well, this demonstrates the "different strokes for different folks" principle. I'd expect the reason for the Great Atlas going out of print is competition from computerized atlases, and I'll admit I've considered going in that direction. However, I've always been comfortable spreading charts out on the living room floor and planning out a starhop with my little FOV circles on acetate... Maybe it's because I'm kinda old. My wife and I both have Kindles, but while hers gets constant use, mine pretty much just sits off the end of the couch while I buy dusty old books. In the event that I DO find the Great Atlas to be an unused white elephant, I think there will eventually be a collectors market for such things. Most likely, large, detailed, printed atlases are becoming a thing of the past.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5386306 - 08/25/12 01:10 PM

Yes, I just sent an email to him. I got a prompt response and refund.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5386311 - 08/25/12 01:13 PM

If I hadn't already gotten accustomed to SSP on my tablet, and saw the clear advantages, I would probably still have the GAS on order, patiently waiting for its arrival. I did think about just putting the GAS together, never using it, and reselling it later to make a profit. But I have a small house that is already full of things that I should sell.

Mike

Mike E.
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/26/10

Loc: Moonstone Observatory
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: bumm]
      #5386441 - 08/25/12 02:29 PM

Quote:

I ordered one on Aug 3rd... The thing said two months, so I figure two months. If there's a glut of orders on account of the going out of print sale, I'll cut 'em some slack and wait longer.

By my invoice number, which is less than 225, I wouldn't think there has been a glut of orders ?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5386497 - 08/25/12 03:13 PM

Quote:

About a year ago I purchased the "Cambridge Atlas of Herschel Objects." I didn't think through that purchase very well either. Sure, it contains all the Herschel Objects. But on the charts they are labeled with the antiquated H designations, not the modern NGC numbers! An utterly useless purchase for me. I have never taken the CAHO into the field. Sure, there is an index that gives the equivalent NGC number for all H designations. But why would I want to go through that hastle?

Mike,

You've mentioned this before. I absolutely can't understand your reasoning on this one. It's an atlas showing Herschel Objects! Of course, that's what is going to be shown on the charts - otherwise, it would be a standard NGC-oriented atlas like all the others. It's meant for finding Herschel Objects. What value would an atlas of Herschel Objects be if it didn't designate them as such? When they became Herschel Objects, there was no NGC. The only conceivable point in such an atlas is finding Herschel Objects - all of which start with "H".
Otherwise, all you need do is print off a list of the Herschel catalog from the web, and use the U2K.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5386569 - 08/25/12 04:01 PM

Rick,

Yes, I realize what you are saying, and I should have known better when I bought the CAHO.

But here is my reasoning: Yes, I want the atlas to show ALL the Herschel Objects, as those 2500 or so objects are a grand list for observers to tackle once they get past the H400, H400 II or Herschel 3. But I do not want the H designations on the chart! They only complicate matters, as they are defunct designations.

It would have been better if only NGC numbers had been used on the charts themselves, or perhaps the H labels beside the NGC numbers, or have the H Objects in a different script BUT labeled by the NGC numbers on the charts. The H designations should have been in an index at the back with their equivalent NGC numbers.

To me these alterations to the CAHO would have made it much more useful as a field atlas. I don't like atlases to be mostly read in the study. I want them to be easy to use, and setup in the most convenient manner for actual use in the field.

Simply put, I want all the Herschel Objects on the charts, but I do not want the Herschel designations on the charts! I've got nothing against the Herschel Objects. I just don't like the outdated Herschel designations.

The bottom line is that I look at the 2500 or so Herschel Objects as an observing list, not a source of antiquarian interest.

Mike

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Mike E.]
      #5386838 - 08/25/12 06:27 PM

Quote:

By my invoice number, which is less than 225, I wouldn't think there has been a glut of orders ?

No, and for the same reason that the MSA went out of print and the SkyGX was never printed: observers - myself included - are going more and more to software atlases.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5387397 - 08/26/12 02:04 AM

Quote:

Simply put, I want all the Herschel Objects on the charts, but I do not want the Herschel designations on the charts! I've got nothing against the Herschel Objects. I just don't like the outdated Herschel designations.

The bottom line is that I look at the 2500 or so Herschel Objects as an observing list, not a source of antiquarian interest.

Well, I understand what you're saying. But, since you already have the atlas, maybe you should get into the Herschel mindset: Forget about the NGC designations completely, and go for them *soley* as Herschel objects. If one is really a killer object, you can look up the NGC number later. But just go native on this one - as though the Herschel numbers were the only ones there were.

I bet you'll enjoy it a lot more if you do that. After all, it's still an observing list, and a rose by any other name...

(In fact, I may have just talked myself into getting a copy...)

Edit: Yep, I just ordered one. At least SOMEbody listens to me!

Edited by Rick Woods (08/26/12 02:39 AM)

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5387953 - 08/26/12 01:11 PM

Rick,

Quote:

Well, I understand what you're saying. But, since you already have the atlas, maybe you should get into the Herschel mindset: Forget about the NGC designations completely, and go for them *soley* as Herschel objects. If one is really a killer object, you can look up the NGC number later. But just go native on this one - as though the Herschel numbers were the only ones there were.

That's not happening. My prime directive when I travel 50 miles to my dark site (a two-hour round trip) is to concentrate on finding and observing objects that I've never seen before, and especially those that I could never see from my red-zone glare-ridden home. (Thanks, scotophobic neighbors! )

Having to go through the extra step of translating back and forth between H numbers and NGC numbers would just slow me down. I see no benefit to that at all. I notice, for instance, that SkySafari Pro does not include the H numbers among its extensive listings of alternative names for DSO. I would need to copy the index at the back of CAHO for a reference. Not very efficient.

Quote:

I bet you'll enjoy it a lot more if you do that. After all, it's still an observing list, and a rose by any other name...

No, I think having to deal with the H numbers as an intermediary between the objects and their modern NGC numbers would be a hastle, would slow down my progress, would detract from my enjoyment.

Quote:

(In fact, I may have just talked myself into getting a copy...)

Lately, I've been talking myself out of further purchases!

I think I'll keep my copy of CAHO. IIRC, I only paid about $35 for it. Hardly worth the effort to sell it.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5389011 - 08/27/12 12:02 AM

Well, I hope you find some way to enjoy it, Mike.
Maybe someday, Herschelmania will hit you, and pow! you'll be all set!

Pollux556
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 12/14/08

#5389257 - 08/27/12 07:13 AM

Quote:

Rick, did you really ordered another one ?

RodgerHouTex
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/02/09

Loc: Houston, Texas, USA
Re: "Great Atlas of the Sky" going out of print new [Re: Pollux556]
      #5389530 - 08/27/12 10:50 AM

You know something that hasn't been mentioned is how limiting digital atlases are. I have Sky Safari Pro on my Itouch and Ipad. Before I got my Ipad it was basically unusable because of the small screen on the Itouch. Same would be true for an Iphone. The Ipad makes it more usable, but if you put it on a Mac, now your carrying around something that weighs as much as a printed star atlas.

Another drawback is the constant zooming in and out and in and out. A printed sky atlas is already at its max resolution. So I just look at that region of the sky and look through my telescope. Very easy.

Maybe when they make an Ipad with a screen that's 11"X17", then I'll consider going all digital. But then again I can't make any notes on it. Darn!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17148

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics