Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5365425 - 08/12/12 08:45 PM

It was the same when I subscribed to Guitar Player magazine; half the fun was ogling the new gear ads. (Unfortunately, the other half - the actual content - became intolerably trite, and I dropped it).

It was funny; there were a lot of ads displaying fancy new guitars being held by scantily-clad, pretty young girls. This resulted in a lot of outraged letters by female guitarists, who thought this was exploitation.

I once wrote a letter in response, trying to explain that a) pretty girls are good for advertising a product for which the primary demographic is young men; b) there are a lot of professional pretty girls making a living modeling for those ads and not feeling in the least exploited, and who need work just like everyone else; and c) The companies were perfectly welcome to model their guitars with handsome young men; would that still be exploitation?

It was never printed, though.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
amicus sidera
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/14/11

Loc: East of the Sun, West of the M...
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5365441 - 08/12/12 08:58 PM

Good on ya, Rick! I remember when GP started that long slide, and the ads had little to do with it... more a lack of content, IMO. I did prefer the ads in GFPM, which usually had the endorsing artist shown with the instrument, and the content was better.

Anyone remember when certain ads in the astro mags actually had notable amateurs or pros endorsing or seen using a certain brand?

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: amicus sidera]
      #5435486 - 09/23/12 04:11 AM

Here's a great overview of magazines:
http://www.thespacereview.com/article/1119/1

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5436101 - 09/23/12 01:18 PM

Quote:

Personally, I still enjoy sitting in a comfy chair with a good magazine.

Agreed! I subscribe to both Astronomy & S&T; as well as two other magazines for my other hobbies. I thoroughly enjoy reading them, ads and all!

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5436181 - 09/23/12 01:57 PM

i learned a lot about telescopes and such when i was a kid... by reading the ads!

and yes to a comfy chair and print magz!!!

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5436190 - 09/23/12 02:03 PM

I subscribe to both S&T and Astronomy...Astronomy only for the last 2 years. I prefer S&T and will let Astronomy lapse. The former does have some in depth articles while Astronomy seems to cover more with short glib paragraphs or sound bite type sentences directed at those who can't concentrate on a read for more than 15 seconds. This, combined with articles like the one about rock stars who like astronomy in the latest Astronomy, make me think the magazine is a bit too concerned with the ADHD 15 year old set. (Not that there is anything wrong with this group and that we should not try and attract them towards Astronomy, but my own reading tends to be different than what is appropriate to them)
Sue French's observing articles in S&T are worth the price of the magazine alone.
Also a plug for Amateur Astronomy. I like this magazine. http://www.amateurastronomy.com/

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: davidpitre]
      #5438535 - 09/24/12 05:50 PM

I get both S&T and Astronomy!! Twice as much reading FUN each month!!!

AJ
sage

Reged: 01/06/09

Loc: North Carolina
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: RobertED]
      #5444051 - 09/27/12 07:13 PM

I subscribed to both S&T and Astronomy from the mid '80s until a few years ago when they dropped to around 70 pages per issue, half their former size.

Have these magazines bounced back to 100+ pages, yet? If so I'll jump back on-board.

As far as paying for ads, I always liked the ads, even the great Celestron v. Meade SCT War back in the day.

Alvan Clark
sage

Reged: 03/13/10

Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: AJ]
      #5445106 - 09/28/12 12:01 PM

Quote:

Have these magazines bounced back to 100+ pages, yet? If so I'll jump back on-board.

S&T - back cover is 88th page. Astronomy - back cover is 76th page. November issues.

I don't think the size will be increasing. Tony Flanders said something about magazine size somewhere here but don't remember what or where.

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #5445187 - 09/28/12 12:50 PM

We haven't been below 88 pages since the late 90's.

saptharishi

Reged: 06/15/12

Loc: Bangalore, India
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: swalker]
      #5445286 - 09/28/12 02:04 PM

I paid the subscription for 'Astronomy Now' published from UK and received the Oct issue. It is good.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: saptharishi]
      #5445700 - 09/28/12 07:13 PM

Quote:

Astronomy from USA (not sure it is just the American edition of Astronomy Now)
Sky & Telescope from USA

I recommend both of these magazines.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: Alvan Clark]
      #5445710 - 09/28/12 07:25 PM

Quote:

Tony Flanders said something about magazine size somewhere here but don't remember what or where.

What I said is that all for-profit periodicals -- newspapers as well as magazines -- try to maintain a fairly constant ratio between advertising and editorial content. So the less advertising, the thinner the magazine or newspaper.

Advertising appears to have picked up somewhat as the recession has eased, but nobody in the publishing industry expects print advertising to reach pre-internet levels ever again.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

C_Moon
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/23/09

Loc: Beneath the arms of Cassiopeia
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5445939 - 09/28/12 10:15 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Tony Flanders said something about magazine size somewhere here but don't remember what or where.

What I said is that all for-profit periodicals -- newspapers as well as magazines -- try to maintain a fairly constant ratio between advertising and editorial content. So the less advertising, the thinner the magazine or newspaper.

Advertising appears to have picked up somewhat as the recession has eased, but nobody in the publishing industry expects print advertising to reach pre-internet levels ever again.

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

Tony, is it a loser idea to charge more for subscriptions? I wonder how much more you had to charge to have a 2:1 ratio or even 1.5:1. I enjoy S&T now, but I would pay more for more content.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: C_Moon]
      #5446319 - 09/29/12 06:45 AM

Quote:

Tony, is it a loser idea to charge more for subscriptions?

Probably. Cost is the number-one reason people cite for failing to renew their subscriptions.

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
      #5513999 - 11/11/12 05:24 AM

Although the feel of a real book cannot be beaten, with today's e-readers it's great to browse our favorite astro-websites and read electronic versions of articles.
Biggest advantage of an e-reader = carry hundreds of books on a tiny tablet

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: saptharishi]
      #5514789 - 11/11/12 04:57 PM

I subscribe to both Sky and Telescope and Astronomy Magazine. I have done so for more than 20 years.

mich_al
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/10/09

Loc: Rural central lower Michigan ...
Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: GeneT]
      #5515899 - 11/12/12 12:13 PM

Note that Astronomy Technology Today has an online only subscription available (6 issues) for $10 vs $18/yr paper & online. I recently switched mine mid-stream.

Al

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5531293 - 11/20/12 11:18 PM

Quote:

Then those businesses that neglect to advertise in print will miss out on sales to a large, older, and financially more stable demographic that selects products based initially on those ads. Not everyone is addicted to the internet.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: Good Magazine to Subscribe new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5531549 - 11/21/12 05:50 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Then those businesses that neglect to advertise in print will miss out on sales to a large, older, and financially more stable demographic that selects products based initially on those ads.

True enough -- and said demographic is precisely what keeps Sky & Telescope afloat. However, people die out of that demographic but are no longer entering it.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
5 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2873

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics