Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Stellarfire
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/10/11

Loc: Switzerland
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: RobertED]
      #5593748 - 12/29/12 02:46 AM

Long waiting time is no problem to me, as long as the hot awaited, bubble-mailer shipped atlas will reach me in perfect condition without transport damages like bumped corners and edges.

Stephan

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Stellarfire]
      #5595755 - 12/30/12 09:45 AM

Absolutely!!!

Sarkikos
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/07

Loc: Nyctophobia, Maryland, USA
      #5595846 - 12/30/12 10:32 AM

A good opportunity to cultivate patience.

Mike

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Sarkikos]
      #5596843 - 12/30/12 07:55 PM

Mine came yesterday. I have been thumbing through it when I have time. I really like it and it should be a good guide for while observing. I really like the section he does at the back of all the landing sites (Apollo, Surveyor, etc).

Regarding the padded envelope, my atlas came fine, with no issues.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5596856 - 12/30/12 08:01 PM Attachment (48 downloads)

And here is a picture

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5596911 - 12/30/12 08:43 PM

Was your copy autographed??...Is he signing ALL the copies???? THAT would be very cool!!!

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

#5597251 - 12/31/12 12:48 AM

Quote:

Was your copy autographed??...Is he signing ALL the copies???? THAT would be very cool!!!

I just looked and yes he did sign the title page. I didn't even know he was doing that.

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5597264 - 12/31/12 01:08 AM

Very nice!

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon *DELETED* new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5597624 - 12/31/12 09:55 AM

Post deleted by turtle86

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: turtle86]
      #5597987 - 12/31/12 01:33 PM

Mine finally came today (12/31/2012). There was very slight damage to the outside surface of the 'bubble-mailer', and slight denting on 2 corners (either side of the spiral-bind), but all in all, it's in great shape....AND autographed!!! Thanks Charles!!! Quick gaze...looks like a very cool book!!!!!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
      #5598083 - 12/31/12 02:29 PM

The pictures I've seen from this book (the cover above, and something somewhere else) all seem to have very low lighting conditions; the craters have deep shadows and you can't really see the details inside, that sort of thing. I get the impression of a pretty picture book more than a really useful source of detailed images.
Am I wrong about that? At half the size and the same price as the Cambridge atlas, I'm hesitating about this one. Especially after the Kaguya atlas, which has great imagery but IMO was misrepresented as an atlas. (I'd be upset about that one, if I hadn't gotten it for like $6).

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5598126 - 12/31/12 02:57 PM

Received my copy today (mailed out 27 Dec.). Everything in mint condition! Even Charles's autograph.

Hey, did not realize it but Mr. Woods and I are not far apart--250 miles. Why, that is almost shoutin' distance.

Back to the book. I will have to give it a thorough going over after things calm down on the 2nd January. But I did do the thumb test--you know you put a book in one hand and thumb through it with other hand. Well, you guessed it, the thumb test reveals the book to be a keeper. Rick Woods, when you get yours, you may want to put it in the secret compartment!

Thanks Charles. Your contributions to lunar observing are unparalleled--matchless--peerless. Can I say more?

Sarkikos
Postmaster

#5598226 - 12/31/12 03:44 PM

Rick,

Quote:

The pictures I've seen from this book (the cover above, and something somewhere else) all seem to have very low lighting conditions; the craters have deep shadows and you can't really see the details inside, that sort of thing. I get the impression of a pretty picture book more than a really useful source of detailed images.
Am I wrong about that? At half the size and the same price as the Cambridge atlas, I'm hesitating about this one. Especially after the Kaguya atlas, which has great imagery but IMO was misrepresented as an atlas. (I'd be upset about that one, if I hadn't gotten it for like $6).

I'll have to see for myself how detailed the images are when I receive my copy of 21CAM. But even a lunar atlas that doesn't show extreme detail can be useful, depending on the aperture you're using. I don't always view the Moon through my 10" Dob. In fact, I usually don't. My default lunar scope is a highly grab-n-go 90mm Mak. My next most used scope for the Moon is an 8" f/6 Dob.

About the 21Cam being half the size of the Cambridge: Is that necessarily a bad thing? For field work, I want the smallest atlas that will get the job done. I want to be able to hold that atlas at the eyepiece, turn the pages easily and have everything stay put. No atlas on the table for me. The big books stay in the house.

Mike

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5598304 - 12/31/12 04:25 PM

Quote:

About the 21Cam being half the size of the Cambridge: Is that necessarily a bad thing? For field work, I want the smallest atlas that will get the job done. I want to be able to hold that atlas at the eyepiece, turn the pages easily and have everything stay put. No atlas on the table for me. The big books stay in the house.

No, not a bad thing at all! By far my most useful and used Moon map is the S&T/Rukl fold-out map. But, I only have so many $29.95'ses to spare at any given time (and I have to recover from ordering that S&T topo Moon globe).
The Cambridge atlas seems to be the better first choice, for me. But the 21st Century atlas will be along shortly, I'm sure.

To digress a little: Another really good Moon map is the National Geographic insert from the Feb. 1969 issue. It's very close in scale to the S&T/Rukl chart. It's not quite as detailed, but it's rectified, and shows the far side as well. I got lucky a while back and found that issue, with map, in a thrift shop; I don't think it had ever been unfolded! I unfolded it once to measure it; now I'm going to get a frame (thrift shop again) and hang it in my observatory along with my Nat. Geo. maps of Mars and the Universe (I love those NG maps!)

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

#5598333 - 12/31/12 04:44 PM

Quote:

Rick,

Quote:

I'll have to see for myself how detailed the images are when I receive my copy of 21CAM. But even a lunar atlas that doesn't show extreme detail can be useful, depending on the aperture you're using. I don't always view the Moon through my 10" Dob. In fact, I usually don't. My default lunar scope is a highly grab-n-go 90mm Mak. My next most used scope for the Moon is an 8" f/6 Dob.

Mike

The images are very detailed ans labeled well. There is a wide field pics usually on one page and then close ups of interesting features. Very similar to the pics in the back of the Rukl atlas for the close ups. To me this atlas could be a end all be all for many casual lunar observers.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
      #5598908 - 12/31/12 11:28 PM

I'm very pleased. A lot more detail than I can pull out of my scopes and skies +++ (that includes my poor attempts at imaging) Like the layout and organization, information, size... spiral binding. Makes me want to spend more time on Luna!

RobertED
Post Laureate

Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5599157 - 01/01/13 07:19 AM

My only complaint!!!...and it's probably just 'me'...is that the large page photo of Copernicus (my favorite crater) is cut in half!!!! I, and this is just 'me', mind you, would've liked to have it nicely centered in it's own photo....but, hey , that's cool!!! I love the book!

RobertED
Post Laureate

#5599159 - 01/01/13 07:23 AM Attachment (14 downloads)

Quote:

Quote:

No, not a bad thing at all! By far my most useful and used Moon map is the S&T/Rukl fold-out map. But, I only have so many $29.95'ses to spare at any given time (and I have to recover from ordering that S&T topo Moon globe).
The Cambridge atlas seems to be the better first choice, for me. But the 21st Century atlas will be along shortly, I'm sure.

To digress a little: Another really good Moon map is the National Geographic insert from the Feb. 1969 issue. It's very close in scale to the S&T/Rukl chart. It's not quite as detailed, but it's rectified, and shows the far side as well. I got lucky a while back and found that issue, with map, in a thrift shop; I don't think it had ever been unfolded! I unfolded it once to measure it; now I'm going to get a frame (thrift shop again) and hang it in my observatory along with my Nat. Geo. maps of Mars and the Universe (I love those NG maps!)

Absolutely Rick!!!...the 1969 NatGeo map is fantastic!! I was lucky enough to pick up a reprinted and laminated version at a local bookstore....just love it!!! Of course, I have a couple of copies of the original one as well....AND the amazing original 1973 Mars map!!! Old School rules!!!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5599689 - 01/01/13 02:05 PM

Yep, that bad boy is framed and hanging in my observatory. IMO the best Mars map ever printed - and just so beautiful! I have another, somewhat beat up copy, and I used to have a pristine one (another thrift store score) that I gave to a good friend and fellow Martian.

Starman1
Vendor (EyepiecesEtc.com)

Reged: 06/24/03

Loc: Los Angeles
Re: 21st Century Atlas of the Moon [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5599742 - 01/01/13 02:34 PM

Slightly away from the topic of the Moon book, but germane to planets and Moon observing is the book: "Observing and Photographing the Solar System" by Dobbins, Parker and Capen, 1988 Willmann-Bell publishers.
This is an excellent book and contains one of the best albedo maps of Mars I've ever seen.
I believe it's out of print, but used copies might be available.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9142

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics