Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5598509 - 12/31/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

This reminds me of S&T from about 20 years ago. There was a company selling mounts, that in their ad included a picture of a woman in a mini skirt, sitting on their mount. People wrote in and said there was no need for the woman in the ad to sell the mounts, and soon those ads stopped. I see this as the same thing. We would all read an article about the 12" refractor, without that picture. I am not buying it that the picture was included just because she is the guys daughter in law. The picture was sent in to get attention, and published for the same reason.

Oh come on!
Nothing accentuates whatever you're showing off better than a pretty girl. He's showing off his great observatory, and has this pretty daughter to make it look even better and to give it scale. He's undoubtedly very proud and fond of both. Where's the problem? If he just wanted attention, well, it worked very well. He could have had himself in the picture for scale; but isn't this better?

I swear, I've never understood why some people get so incensed about a pretty girl being in a picture.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: rmollise]
      #5598511 - 12/31/12 06:23 PM

I just finished reading the entire issue today-the sub article was my favorite.

edj

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: desertstars]
      #5598514 - 12/31/12 06:26 PM

Quote:

This has got to be the silliest bit of nit-picking I've seen in almost ten years involvement with CN. This thread just jumped the shark for me.

silliest-no

maybe top 10 or top 100, however

edj

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: rmollise]
      #5598539 - 12/31/12 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I enjoyed the article in S&T.
The article I found out of place a few months ago were those ten pages in Astronomy magazine dedicated to a "Rock Star/Astronomer. Wasted space in my opinion, better served with ten pages on Curiousity.

And I am bored with yet another rehash of the Curiosity mission when there can be ten pages on observational astronomy. Which just goes to show, you can't please everybody.

I agree...I totally wouldn't mind seeing stories about some 'local' amateur astronomers, their scopes and viewing techniques, and especially unusual backyard observatories!!!!!

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5598546 - 12/31/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

This reminds me of S&T from about 20 years ago. There was a company selling mounts, that in their ad included a picture of a woman in a mini skirt, sitting on their mount. People wrote in and said there was no need for the woman in the ad to sell the mounts, and soon those ads stopped. I see this as the same thing. We would all read an article about the 12" refractor, without that picture. I am not buying it that the picture was included just because she is the guys daughter in law. The picture was sent in to get attention, and published for the same reason.

Oh come on!
Nothing accentuates whatever you're showing off better than a pretty girl. He's showing off his great observatory, and has this pretty daughter to make it look even better and to give it scale. He's undoubtedly very proud and fond of both. Where's the problem? If he just wanted attention, well, it worked very well. He could have had himself in the picture for scale; but isn't this better?

I swear, I've never understood why some people get so incensed about a pretty girl being in a picture.

I have absolutely NO reason to keep a pretty, miniskirted girl from sitting atop one of my tripods!!!!
I would totally enjoy this!!!!

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5598553 - 12/31/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

I just finished reading the entire issue today-the sub article was my favorite.

edj

It was mine too. I wouldn't want an article like that every month but 3 or 4 times a year is great.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5598615 - 12/31/12 07:21 PM

Quote:

What I have a problem with though is the need to put a picture of some want-a-be reality star model standing next to the refractors on page 68.

For those of you who have forgotten or don't have access to the 1970's S&T's just about every full page ad came with a pretty lady showing her interest in the stars.

Eric

burb scope
sage

Reged: 04/18/08

Loc: Canton, MI
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5598633 - 12/31/12 07:40 PM

I showed that picture to my wife. She said "Who complained about it, some nerd who can't talk to women?" (Yes, we were watching Big Bang Theory at the time.)
We should be congratulating Mr. Noffsinger on his exquisite observatory and collection of instruments. An achievement well worth the page space in S&T. Happy observing, Mr. N. !

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5598739 - 12/31/12 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What I have a problem with though is the need to put a picture of some want-a-be reality star model standing next to the refractors on page 68.

For those of you who have forgotten or don't have access to the 1970's S&T's just about every full page ad came with a pretty lady showing her interest in the stars.

Eric

how many times have we complained about the hobby being old men only

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: new [Re: alancygnusx2]
      #5598974 - 01/01/13 12:36 AM

I love S&T! I've been a subscriber for about two years now. Articles like these just make me want to resubscribe.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5599016 - 01/01/13 01:17 AM

Fulfilling a Lifelong Dream: I did not realize how BIG the scopes were until I turned to the third page of the article and saw the picture of the author's lovely daughter-in-law standing next to the mounts to provide perspective.

Also enjoyed the historical article about the moon and the civil war submarine.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: new [Re: rookie]
      #5599222 - 01/01/13 09:03 AM

reviewing the posts
4-5 to 1 in favor of the sub story

edj

Rich (RLTYS)
Post Laureate

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5599341 - 01/01/13 10:39 AM

I have no problem with the article.

Rich (RLTYS)

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5599698 - 01/01/13 02:12 PM

For me the strangest thing about the issue was after reading the article on video astronomy, I have this strange, unshakable desire for some bourbon, particularly Rebel Yell. And I have no idea why.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5599842 - 01/01/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

reviewing the posts
4-5 to 1 in favor of the sub story

8 to 1 in favor of the daughter-in-law. (That's people, not posts)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5599878 - 01/01/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

This has got to be the silliest bit of nit-picking I've seen in almost ten years involvement with CN. This thread just jumped the shark for me.

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5600535 - 01/01/13 11:27 PM

My first reaction was that I wished that some of that 6 pages was devoted to some telescope making articles....then I got my issue and discovered that Telescope Workshop got 2 pages this month, and there is also a 4 page spread on building observatories. That makes 6 pages, so I have to abandon any misgivings I might have had for the article.

Frankly, there's always stuff that doesn't interest me, and I skip over it. Just as long as there is some stuff I like, I'm happy. I don't have to like all of it.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5601840 - 01/02/13 07:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah what Tom said.......ty Thomas.

meteorite

Reged: 01/28/06

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: droid]
      #5602006 - 01/02/13 09:39 PM

I just read the sub article. I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was off topic. I also enjoyed the Frankenstein article a few issues back and the Titanic article. I love history and the way astronomical events may have played a part in historical events.

Many of my non-astronomy friends don't understand or care about how anything astronomical could possibly affect their lives, or how in the past anything astronomical could have affected their ancestors lives or events shaping the world at large. This article, and others like it, make astronomy more real to non-astronomers. I would welcome more articles like this.

I just spent a few days in Jamestown and Yorktown, Virgina (USA). We all know, don't we, the events at Jamestown in 1607 and Yorktown in 1781. Ironic when you think about the beginning and end of British rule over what was to become the USA, and the locations are only 20 miles apart. I would love to read about how astronomy may have influenced events in those places at at those times. Reading the S&T article makes me want to do research on this.

Of course, I am a bit biased since I live only 2 hours from Charleston, South Carolina, in Savannah, GA, a city itself full of history.

No discipline is an island unto itself. History, art science, archeology, etc. In colleges and universities, majors are separated by departments and courses are separated within departments but all inter-related in some way, on some level. Please S&T, more inter-related articles.

Makes it more human.

-Walt

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic [Re: meteorite]
      #5602174 - 01/02/13 11:34 PM

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
3 registered and 0 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9285

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics