Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

Reged: 11/25/08

Loc: CA
New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic
      #5594874 - 12/29/12 06:38 PM

I just received the Feb 2013 sky and tel. The front editorial and one of the main articles is centered on the history of one confederate submarine.

I have no argument that civil war history is interesting and worthy of study. It really doesn't have a place as a major piece in an astronomy magazine. There are plenty of periodicals which deal with the history of that period. Its not like there is a shortage of topics to cover in the field of telescopes and astronomy.

I have been subscribing to Sky and tel for years and hope to continue doing so. If the editor continues to use sky and tel as a vehicle for expressing his interest in the civil war, I won't be renewing.

Sky and tel needs to return to its roots, their older magazines are much more on target.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: alancygnusx2]
      #5595331 - 12/29/12 11:35 PM

I think you might need to re-read the article. It is about the Moon and tides playing major roles in the successful attack and disappearance of the Confederate submarine CSS Hunley. They have done similar articles on the way the sky was related to various historical events for many decades, so this is no surprise (and is still on-topic). Clear skies to you.

davidpitre
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/05

Loc: Central Texas
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: David Knisely]
      #5595432 - 12/30/12 01:00 AM

I ,myself, have not been so big on these "gee wiz" "where was the moon on such and such event?" articles.

alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

#5595499 - 12/30/12 02:44 AM

Quote:

I think you might need to re-read the article. It is about the Moon and tides playing major roles in the successful attack and disappearance of the Confederate submarine CSS Hunley. They have done similar articles on the way the sky was related to various historical events for many decades, so this is no surprise (and is still on-topic). Clear skies to you.

The focus and writing in the article primarily relates to historical events, so I will respectfully disagree with the idea that this article is on-topic.

Here on CN, in any thread related to astronomy, posts going on in great length about a confederate submarine would quickly be cut off by the moderator. We are lucky we have good moderators here on CN. Of note they are dedicated amateurs and not paid professional editors, and yet they have shown and would show better editorial sense.

Sky and tel comes out only 12 times a year, and each issue is not lenghty. Devoting 6 pages is way too much to this historical topic primarily because it means an important topic directly related to astronomy gets pushed out.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 04/18/11

#5595624 - 12/30/12 07:00 AM

Quote:

So? The weather, moon, tides, etc were a BIG factor in the Normandy invasion. This has been the case in countless battles and events in history and is already common knowledge. Night travel in the desert was also based on such things, and well-documented. Big deal, these are trivialities. Are we becoming so self-serving that going to start looking at every historical event and try to insert/impose our hobby in ways that come across not only to the general public, but also many of ourselves, as trivial, arrogant, and blowing our own horn over things that don't matter?

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: simpleisbetter]
      #5595776 - 12/30/12 09:57 AM

Let's try posing as one of those grouping questions...

Sky | Telescope | Sunken Submarine

which one doesn't belong?

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#5595930 - 12/30/12 11:19 AM

Quote:

I just received the Feb 2013 sky and tel. The front editorial and one of the main articles is centered on the history of one confederate submarine.

I have no argument that civil war history is interesting and worthy of study. It really doesn't have a place as a major piece in an astronomy magazine. There are plenty of periodicals which deal with the history of that period. Its not like there is a shortage of topics to cover in the field of telescopes and astronomy.

I have been subscribing to Sky and tel for years and hope to continue doing so. If the editor continues to use sky and tel as a vehicle for expressing his interest in the civil war, I won't be renewing.

Sky and tel needs to return to its roots, their older magazines are much more on target.

I assume you didn't actually read the article, since this fine piece is indeed intimately linked to astronomy.

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5595933 - 12/30/12 11:21 AM

Quote:

Let's try posing as one of those grouping questions...

Sky | Telescope | Sunken Submarine

which one doesn't belong?

That's easy: "None of the above."

This is an ecellent piece, does have to do with astronomy--though it may not be the sort of article you like to read--and I believe will go down as a Sky and Telescope classic.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/07

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: rmollise]
      #5596030 - 12/30/12 12:11 PM

I read and enjoyed Stevenson's article on "The Moon and the Mystery of the Hunley" in Sky and Telescope (February 2013). This article is well researched and well written. Astronomy is not just about observing or photographing--there is a practical side that can be quite valuable. Furthermore, we are currently in the sesquicentennial anniversary (150 years) of the American Civil War. Finally, many amateur astronomers are also civil war hobbyists and re-enactors. I would like to see more practical astronomy articles in the magazines.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: BobinKy]
      #5596117 - 12/30/12 12:55 PM

I haven't read this one yet, but those they've published in the past have been very well done. They've never seemed out of place to me.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: desertstars]
      #5596371 - 12/30/12 03:28 PM

Yeah; this is not by far the first time someone has submitted an article on a non-astronomy topic, but in which astronomical factors played a large, possibly deciding part. It's just a way to show how astronomical events have greater range and influence than one might imagine.

Let's rephrase the multiple choice as an equation:
Wartime Attack + Bright Moon = Sunken Submarine.

And I have to say - it's pretty awesome that the Confederates had a submarine! Those good ol' Southern boys have always been a pretty sharp lot; probably why Mission Control is in Houston, and rockets are launched from Florida!

Edit: I really do know how to spell "Houston"!

Edited by Rick Woods (12/30/12 04:22 PM)

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #5596436 - 12/30/12 04:01 PM

Quote:

Yeah; this is not by far the first time someone has submitted an article on a non-astronomy topic, but in which astronomical factors played a large, possibly deciding part. It's just a way to show how astronomical events have greater range and influence than one might imagine.

Let's rephrase the multiple choice as an equation:
Wartime Attack + Bright Moon = Sunken Submarine.

And I have to say - it's pretty awesome that the Confederates had a submarine! Those good ol' Southern boys have always been a pretty sharp lot; probably why Mission Control is in Housten, and rockets are launched from Florida!

There is a replica at Battleship Park in Mobile, which Miss Dorothy and I visited not long ago. We marveled that anyone could be so brave, even in the final defense of our country, to go down in that little thing!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5596471 - 12/30/12 04:19 PM

Quote:

There is a replica at Battleship Park in Mobile, which Miss Dorothy and I visited not long ago. We marveled that anyone could be so brave, even in the final defense of our country, to go down in that little thing!

Seriously - 110% juevos!

David Knisely
Postmaster

Reged: 04/19/04

Loc: southeastern Nebraska
      #5596519 - 12/30/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

So? The weather, moon, tides, etc were a BIG factor in the Normandy invasion. This has been the case in countless battles and events in history and is already common knowledge. Night travel in the desert was also based on such things, and well-documented. Big deal, these are trivialities. Are we becoming so self-serving that going to start looking at every historical event and try to insert/impose our hobby in ways that come across not only to the general public, but also many of ourselves, as trivial, arrogant, and blowing our own horn over things that don't matter?

It isn't "arrogance". What may be trivial to you may not be exactly trivial to others, as the interest of readers varies widely. This type of article goes way back to the almost-yearly, "star of Bethlehem" type articles that were prevalent a number of decades ago. I am a little surprised at the negative reaction to this article. To me, it was kind of a, "That's nice", article and then I go on to reading the rest of the issue, as it is only a single article out of many others. I have little objection to letting in an article now and then that refers to how the sky sometimes plays a role in historical events. It isn't overwhelmingly interesting to me (and I don't spend a lot of time reading some of these pieces), but it definitely also isn't "off topic" either. Sky and Tel plays to the full spectrum of readers (and many of them are not amateur astronomers). If you want pure astronomy, try subscribing to Ap.J and slogging through all that. If you want to influence what the magazine covers, you might consider writing your own article and submitting it to Sky Publishing (they are always on the look-out for interesting potential articles). I have done so twice and (to my ever lasting surprise) got published both times. Otherwise, if you don't like an article, then you don't have to read it. For a magazine with a little "balance", Sky and Telescope can be a halfway decent one to read. Clear skies to you.

MikeBOKC
Post Laureate

Reged: 05/10/10

Loc: Oklahoma City, OK
      #5596738 - 12/30/12 06:57 PM

Just got the February issue today and I enjoyed the article; of course I am a lifelong Civil War buff and a collateral descendant of Stonewall Jackson, but still . . . there are 90 pages in the February issue counting covers, and this article only took six of them. I think it is dumb that most daily newspapers run astrology columns, but I still read the rest of it. Can't please everyone . . .

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: MikeBOKC]
      #5596755 - 12/30/12 07:05 PM

I enjoyed reading the article and thought it was well written. I didn't mind that it was in the issue and would agree it did have some "astronomy" merit... Tony

edwincjones
Close Enough

Reged: 04/10/04

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5596768 - 12/30/12 07:11 PM

from S&T's viewpoint
-I doubt many will cancel
-but some may subscribe due to the article
I have no issue pro or con with this*

edj

*but have not read the issue yet

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: CelestronDaddy]
      #5596774 - 12/30/12 07:17 PM

I enjoyed the article, and I am definitely not a Civil War buff. I too found it nice balance to the usual stuff. 'Course my mother was an officer in the Daughters of the Confederacy, so may have been biased...

Dark skies.

Jack

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5596838 - 12/30/12 07:52 PM

Quote:

from S&T's viewpoint
-I doubt many will cancel
-but some may subscribe due to the article
I have no issue pro or con with this*

edj

*but have not read the issue yet

OK
read the article
maybe a little off topic
but I enjoyed it

edj

opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
      #5597179 - 12/30/12 11:52 PM

I enjoyed the article in S&T.
The article I found out of place a few months ago were those ten pages in Astronomy magazine dedicated to a "Rock Star/Astronomer. Wasted space in my opinion, better served with ten pages on Curiousity.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 04/05/11

Loc: Hamilton, ON,Canada
      #5597231 - 12/31/12 12:29 AM

I enjoy these off-topic but astronomy related articles. There was one recently(cant remember AST or S&T) on the USS Indianapolis,a truly horrific event. The effect of the moon on its visibility turns out to have had a major impact on the subsequent events.

Eric

rmollise
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: opticsguy]
      #5597647 - 12/31/12 10:10 AM

Quote:

The article I found out of place a few months ago were those ten pages in Astronomy magazine dedicated to a "Rock Star/Astronomer. Wasted space in my opinion, better served with ten pages on Curiousity.

And I am bored with yet another rehash of the Curiosity mission when there can be ten pages on observational astronomy. Which just goes to show, you can't please everybody.

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5597688 - 12/31/12 10:30 AM

Quote:

Quote:

And I am bored with yet another rehash of the Curiosity mission when there can be ten pages on observational astronomy. Which just goes to show, you can't please everybody.

alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

#5597811 - 12/31/12 11:47 AM

Every magazine has a mission statement. You can read sky and tel's mission statement here:

Mission statement

Related to the mission statement, this article does not fit in.

Edited by alancygnusx2 (12/31/12 11:55 AM)

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5597841 - 12/31/12 11:57 AM

history is important
it tells us how we got here
what mistakes were made
we owe much to sailors of old who studied the skies

I see this as no different from the history of an observatory or important astronomer of the past

edj

burb scope
sage

Reged: 04/18/08

Loc: Canton, MI
      #5597866 - 12/31/12 12:16 PM

I am OK with that type of article because I am interested in both military history and astronomy. Lucky me, but I can see how folks might want less of that sort of thing in their favorite astro mag. Perhaps S&T should consider an expanded section on their website for subjects "related to" but not necessarily purely astronomical. More website traffic = more advertising revenue, right?

alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

#5597867 - 12/31/12 12:16 PM

I agree that history is important. I have well over 100 books on the history of astronomy in my library, none of them have a deviation as great as this 6 page article on a confederate sub.

alancygnusx2
professor emeritus

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: burb scope]
      #5597875 - 12/31/12 12:19 PM

Quote:

I am OK with that type of article because I am interested in both military history and astronomy. Lucky me, but I can see how folks might want less of that sort of thing in their favorite astro mag. Perhaps S&T should consider an expanded section on their website for subjects "related to" but not necessarily purely astronomical. More website traffic = more advertising revenue, right?

Thank you, thats a superb idea.

Tom Polakis
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 12/20/04

Loc: Tempe, Arizona
      #5597968 - 12/31/12 01:26 PM

As you have seen from this thread, astronomy is multi-faceted.

I wonder if the editor-in-chief of the other astronomy magazine read the S&T piece. He is one of the country's foremost authorities on the Civil War.

Tom

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #5598007 - 12/31/12 01:42 PM

my guess is CN members are only a small % of S&T readers
THE is
-did the article help/hurt circulation?

edj

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
      #5598100 - 12/31/12 02:38 PM

edj- too early to tell yet, but these types of astro-sleuthing articles usually sell quite well and attracts more mainstream media attention. Plus they are a good read.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: swalker]
      #5598114 - 12/31/12 02:49 PM

Hey - you guys have been doing it right for ***80 Years*** now (congratulations!); I suspect it'll turn out to be the right thing. Certainly the reception here seems generally positive.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
      #5598138 - 12/31/12 03:03 PM

I just read the article on the sub and enjoyed it... What I have a problem with though is the need to put a picture of some want-a-be reality star model standing next to the refractors on page 68. Save that junk for car magazines, just post a picture of the refractors, there is no need for a person to stand next to the scopes for "scale", we all know how big the scope is.

burb scope
sage

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: helpwanted]
      #5598151 - 12/31/12 03:09 PM

Sorry, but I enjoyed that article / picture too !

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: burb scope]
      #5598213 - 12/31/12 03:38 PM

Sure, she is pretty, but doesn't belong in S&T, just for the sake of bringing attention to the article.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

#5598285 - 12/31/12 04:13 PM

Well...

RE: Fulfilling a lifelong dream (Edward B. Noffsinger, p. 66-69).

The person in the photo on page 68 is the author's daughter-in-law. (Read the caption below the photo!).

And Ed's photo appears on page 67.

Home observatories are not just about equipment and buildings. They are about people who build home observatories and their families.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5598311 - 12/31/12 04:28 PM

Quote:

Sure, she is pretty, but doesn't belong in S&T, just for the sake of bringing attention to the article.

Oh, yes she does!

helpwanted
Post Laureate

#5598331 - 12/31/12 04:43 PM

This reminds me of S&T from about 20 years ago. There was a company selling mounts, that in their ad included a picture of a woman in a mini skirt, sitting on their mount. People wrote in and said there was no need for the woman in the ad to sell the mounts, and soon those ads stopped. I see this as the same thing. We would all read an article about the 12" refractor, without that picture. I am not buying it that the picture was included just because she is the guys daughter in law. The picture was sent in to get attention, and published for the same reason.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
      #5598339 - 12/31/12 04:49 PM

This has got to be the silliest bit of nit-picking I've seen in almost ten years involvement with CN. This thread just jumped the shark for me.

rmollise
Postmaster

#5598379 - 12/31/12 05:06 PM

Ya think?

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5598509 - 12/31/12 06:23 PM

Quote:

This reminds me of S&T from about 20 years ago. There was a company selling mounts, that in their ad included a picture of a woman in a mini skirt, sitting on their mount. People wrote in and said there was no need for the woman in the ad to sell the mounts, and soon those ads stopped. I see this as the same thing. We would all read an article about the 12" refractor, without that picture. I am not buying it that the picture was included just because she is the guys daughter in law. The picture was sent in to get attention, and published for the same reason.

Oh come on!
Nothing accentuates whatever you're showing off better than a pretty girl. He's showing off his great observatory, and has this pretty daughter to make it look even better and to give it scale. He's undoubtedly very proud and fond of both. Where's the problem? If he just wanted attention, well, it worked very well. He could have had himself in the picture for scale; but isn't this better?

I swear, I've never understood why some people get so incensed about a pretty girl being in a picture.

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5598511 - 12/31/12 06:23 PM

I just finished reading the entire issue today-the sub article was my favorite.

edj

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5598514 - 12/31/12 06:26 PM

Quote:

This has got to be the silliest bit of nit-picking I've seen in almost ten years involvement with CN. This thread just jumped the shark for me.

silliest-no

maybe top 10 or top 100, however

edj

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5598539 - 12/31/12 06:39 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I agree...I totally wouldn't mind seeing stories about some 'local' amateur astronomers, their scopes and viewing techniques, and especially unusual backyard observatories!!!!!

RobertED
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/11/03

Loc: Smithfield, RI
      #5598546 - 12/31/12 06:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh come on!
Nothing accentuates whatever you're showing off better than a pretty girl. He's showing off his great observatory, and has this pretty daughter to make it look even better and to give it scale. He's undoubtedly very proud and fond of both. Where's the problem? If he just wanted attention, well, it worked very well. He could have had himself in the picture for scale; but isn't this better?

I swear, I've never understood why some people get so incensed about a pretty girl being in a picture.

I have absolutely NO reason to keep a pretty, miniskirted girl from sitting atop one of my tripods!!!!
I would totally enjoy this!!!!

Darren Bly
sage

Reged: 07/24/06

Loc: Bakersfield, Ca
      #5598553 - 12/31/12 06:44 PM

Quote:

I just finished reading the entire issue today-the sub article was my favorite.

edj

It was mine too. I wouldn't want an article like that every month but 3 or 4 times a year is great.

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

#5598615 - 12/31/12 07:21 PM

Quote:

What I have a problem with though is the need to put a picture of some want-a-be reality star model standing next to the refractors on page 68.

For those of you who have forgotten or don't have access to the 1970's S&T's just about every full page ad came with a pretty lady showing her interest in the stars.

Eric

burb scope
sage

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: beatlejuice]
      #5598633 - 12/31/12 07:40 PM

I showed that picture to my wife. She said "Who complained about it, some nerd who can't talk to women?" (Yes, we were watching Big Bang Theory at the time.)
We should be congratulating Mr. Noffsinger on his exquisite observatory and collection of instruments. An achievement well worth the page space in S&T. Happy observing, Mr. N. !

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5598739 - 12/31/12 08:57 PM

Quote:

Quote:

What I have a problem with though is the need to put a picture of some want-a-be reality star model standing next to the refractors on page 68.

For those of you who have forgotten or don't have access to the 1970's S&T's just about every full page ad came with a pretty lady showing her interest in the stars.

Eric

how many times have we complained about the hobby being old men only

smallscopefanLeo
sage

Reged: 01/23/11

Re: new [Re: alancygnusx2]
      #5598974 - 01/01/13 12:36 AM

I love S&T! I've been a subscriber for about two years now. Articles like these just make me want to resubscribe.

rookie
Good Night Nurse

Reged: 01/14/06

Loc: St. Petersburg, FL
Re: new [Re: smallscopefanLeo]
      #5599016 - 01/01/13 01:17 AM

Fulfilling a Lifelong Dream: I did not realize how BIG the scopes were until I turned to the third page of the article and saw the picture of the author's lovely daughter-in-law standing next to the mounts to provide perspective.

Also enjoyed the historical article about the moon and the civil war submarine.

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: new [Re: rookie]
      #5599222 - 01/01/13 09:03 AM

reviewing the posts
4-5 to 1 in favor of the sub story

edj

Rich (RLTYS)
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5599341 - 01/01/13 10:39 AM

I have no problem with the article.

Rich (RLTYS)

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #5599698 - 01/01/13 02:12 PM

For me the strangest thing about the issue was after reading the article on video astronomy, I have this strange, unshakable desire for some bourbon, particularly Rebel Yell. And I have no idea why.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: new [Re: edwincjones]
      #5599842 - 01/01/13 03:36 PM

Quote:

reviewing the posts
4-5 to 1 in favor of the sub story

8 to 1 in favor of the daughter-in-law. (That's people, not posts)

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5599878 - 01/01/13 03:58 PM

Quote:

operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5600535 - 01/01/13 11:27 PM

My first reaction was that I wished that some of that 6 pages was devoted to some telescope making articles....then I got my issue and discovered that Telescope Workshop got 2 pages this month, and there is also a 4 page spread on building observatories. That makes 6 pages, so I have to abandon any misgivings I might have had for the article.

Frankly, there's always stuff that doesn't interest me, and I skip over it. Just as long as there is some stuff I like, I'm happy. I don't have to like all of it.

droid
rocketman

Reged: 08/29/04

Loc: Conneaut, Ohio
      #5601840 - 01/02/13 07:51 PM

Quote:

Yeah what Tom said.......ty Thomas.

meteorite

Reged: 01/28/06

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: droid]
      #5602006 - 01/02/13 09:39 PM

I just read the sub article. I enjoyed it. I didn't think it was off topic. I also enjoyed the Frankenstein article a few issues back and the Titanic article. I love history and the way astronomical events may have played a part in historical events.

Many of my non-astronomy friends don't understand or care about how anything astronomical could possibly affect their lives, or how in the past anything astronomical could have affected their ancestors lives or events shaping the world at large. This article, and others like it, make astronomy more real to non-astronomers. I would welcome more articles like this.

I just spent a few days in Jamestown and Yorktown, Virgina (USA). We all know, don't we, the events at Jamestown in 1607 and Yorktown in 1781. Ironic when you think about the beginning and end of British rule over what was to become the USA, and the locations are only 20 miles apart. I would love to read about how astronomy may have influenced events in those places at at those times. Reading the S&T article makes me want to do research on this.

Of course, I am a bit biased since I live only 2 hours from Charleston, South Carolina, in Savannah, GA, a city itself full of history.

No discipline is an island unto itself. History, art science, archeology, etc. In colleges and universities, majors are separated by departments and courses are separated within departments but all inter-related in some way, on some level. Please S&T, more inter-related articles.

Makes it more human.

-Walt

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: meteorite]
      #5602174 - 01/02/13 11:34 PM

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: meteorite]
      #5602247 - 01/03/13 12:52 AM

Quote:

Please S&T, more inter-related articles.

And more cute daughters-in-law, whenever you can work it in.

turtle86
Pooh-Bah Everywhere Else

Reged: 10/09/06

#5604382 - 01/04/13 09:32 AM

Quote:

Oh come on!

+1

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: turtle86]
      #5605278 - 01/04/13 05:43 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Oh come on!

+1

we will never expand the hobby as long as the magazines show only us old, fat, white men

edj

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Reged: 10/21/09

Loc: Arizona, USA
      #5606861 - 01/05/13 03:50 PM

I'm not currently a subscriber to S&T but have been in the past. I switched to Astronomy a few years ago and am happy where I am.

After reading this thread I went to Barnes & Noble today, just to check out this controversial issue.

My comments:

1) I thought the Civil War sub story was very interesting and definitely had it's place in the magazine.

2) The astronomer's daughter-in-law that was in the one observatory image was in perfectly good taste. She was elegantly dressed and gave proper scale to the picture. I could see an issue if she was in a tube top and hot pants, but come on! Would you people that complained about this photo rather have an old white guy in the picture?

Anyway, I'm late to this party, but I had to add my two cents.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: rockethead26]
      #5606888 - 01/05/13 04:07 PM

The bottom line seems to be that S&T put it all together perfectly, as usual.

(I can just imagine what the author of the observatory article would think of all this ruckus about him putting his daughter in a picture!)

Ira
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 08/22/10

Loc: Mitzpe Ramon, Israel
      #5609277 - 01/06/13 09:38 PM

There was another one on the sinking of the Titanic having to do with the moon and tides not long ago. As I recall that generated a bit of heat, too.

/Ira

Traveler
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 08/19/07

Loc: The Netherlands
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: Ira]
      #5609606 - 01/07/13 02:23 AM

I enjoyed the "Civil War" article. Because i am not an American, some historical background information related with astronomy is ok.

The Secrets of the Nothern Lights i enjoyed even more. Great indepth article. Also nice that the subject is split up in two parts. The next month will be discribing Aurora photography.

To me,the Telescope Workshop series (Gary) is almost always a little to compressed. I think it would be nice if this series getting a more dominant role in the magazine.

rtomw77
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 10/06/04

Loc: Deer Valley, AZ
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: Traveler]
      #5609651 - 01/07/13 05:29 AM

This thread reminds me of the name of one of Shakespeare's plays - Much Ado about Nothing.

I enjoy the historical articles, and the observatory article in question is fine by me.

Each issue of S&T (or Astronomy or any magazine) has an article or two about something that I am not interested in, but there are plenty of other articles on things that I do enjoy.

Just my two cents.

Tom

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: rtomw77]
      #5609700 - 01/07/13 07:39 AM

Quote:

This thread reminds me of the name of one of Shakespeare's plays - Much Ado about Nothing.

Just my two cents.

Tom

my 2 cents-many of our threads fit into this grouping

edj

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
      #5609921 - 01/07/13 10:47 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Just my two cents.

Tom

my 2 cents-many of our threads fit into this grouping

edj

Another part of an old saying; "You can't please all the people all the time".

As far as the young lady (a relative) in the observatory photo; would it have been mentioned, if she had been a handsome young man? Double standard here!

S&T is an excellent magazine, and always has interesting articles that reach out to many.

Jay_Bird
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 01/04/06

Loc: USA
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: csa/montana]
      #5611766 - 01/08/13 11:17 AM

I think the criticism reflects a too-narrow view of S&T.

I've subscribed for about 20 non-consecutive years total and read library issues back to 1960's when I discovered S&T in the 1970's. By the time I've thoroughly read all the feature articles not tied to a monthly sky calendar, each modern issue provides about 2-3 months of entertainment over hours of spare time, and some of the most enjoyable articles are the unexpected topics.

I like most of the articles about tides or moonlight, vs. Tarawa or Caesar in Britain or the Indianapolis or Mary Shelley's inspiration for Frankenstein. I especially liked the description several years ago of the Hawaiian astronomy center with a garden scaled and planted to represent the Milky Way. Some recent cosmology articles were very good. I miss E.C. Krupp's column as much as I miss gleanings for ATMs or Walter Scott Houston. To my personal, broader concept of astronomy, none of these were off topic.

S&T tries to cover all aspects of the hobby and usually succeeds. There are more narrowly focused, or more popularized, publications that don't get my subscription in favor of S&T.

I could make similar complaints about the pages in almost every issue describing new equipment far beyond my interest, but like the occasional historical article, the articles that I care about less are just a few pages out of many in each issue.

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: Jay_Bird]
      #5611808 - 01/08/13 11:52 AM

Jay Bird...

Very fascinating post.

edwincjones
Close Enough

#5612497 - 01/08/13 06:46 PM

hard to believe this is the 72 post on this thread

edj

bumm
sage

Reged: 01/07/11

Loc: Iowa
      #5614607 - 01/09/13 10:23 PM

Put me down as another who enjoyed the Hunley article. The astronomical conditions of the night are an interesting addition to a fascinating historical event. (Almost as fun as Dixon's gold coin. )
As far as the pretty lady on Pg.68, imagine the complaints if they'd used a haggard old codger like myself...

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: bumm]
      #5615278 - 01/10/13 11:11 AM

I thought the observatory article was the clunker of the issue. It came off as a puff piece and it didn't tell me anything. Had the editor pushed for a story about building the observatory OR using the unique scopes in it I think the article would have been good. Instead both of those topics were covered and with the space allowed neither was given the space to be developed. The picture of the girl only took space away for more words. As for how she was dressed, well I thought it was a little out of place for S&T, but she was dressed in reasonable taste.

As for the rest of the magazine, I thought it was outstanding all around. The article by Ken White was outstanding.

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5615353 - 01/10/13 11:49 AM

But, without that picture (that included the young lady), we wouldn't have gotten that killer shot of those two big, awesome refractor setups!

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
      #5615578 - 01/10/13 01:48 PM

Call me biased, but I'm partial to the video article by uncle Rod...

BobinKy
Post Laureate

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: swalker]
      #5615699 - 01/10/13 03:04 PM

According to EDJ, our official counter, we are now up to 76 posts in this thread! This is intellectual post Number 77!

beatlejuice
Pooh-Bah

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5615919 - 01/10/13 05:23 PM

Quote:

I thought the observatory article was the clunker of the issue.

I won't argue one way or another on that, but looking at that setup (scopes only)gave me the drools.

Quote:

The picture of the girl only took space away for more words.

Ya a mannequin would have worked just as well.

Eric

rockethead26
Post Laureate

#5615935 - 01/10/13 05:40 PM

Quote:

Ya a mannequin would have worked just as well.

Eric

Mannequins are harder to come by than daughters-in-law.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: Traveler]
      #5620548 - 01/13/13 11:18 AM

Quote:

To me,the Telescope Workshop series (Gary) is almost always a little to compressed. I think it would be nice if this series getting a more dominant role in the magazine.

Total agreement.

As far as the issue of the young lady in the photograph a simple meter stick could have sufficed.

Back OT:

Having a lot of time under the stars and with the military and having visited the Hunley "in person" I was thoroughly pleased with the article!

(gues my bias shows )

rockethead26
Post Laureate

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5620784 - 01/13/13 01:18 PM

Quote:

As far as the issue of the young lady in the photograph a simple meter stick could have sufficed.

How boring, not to mention, hard to see

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5620891 - 01/13/13 02:14 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Yes. This is a warning sign, Starstuff! Get help before it's too late!

simpleisbetter
Carpal Tunnel

#5621050 - 01/13/13 03:19 PM

If the advertisers were restricted to yardsticks for scale, we would've never had all those nice Celestron ads over the years...

Rick Woods
Postmaster

#5621392 - 01/13/13 06:27 PM

Not to mention how weird it would be if the guy's daughter-in-law was a yardstick...

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
      #5621737 - 01/13/13 09:33 PM

The photo was tastefully done. I have no issue with it, and can't for the life of me see why anyone else would.

StarStuff1
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/01/07

Loc: South of the Mason-Dixon Line
      #5622180 - 01/14/13 06:51 AM

My point, exactly!

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: StarStuff1]
      #5622723 - 01/14/13 01:49 PM

Good grief, can we shut this thread down now??

mountain monk
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/06/09

Loc: Grand Teton National Park
      #5623023 - 01/14/13 04:32 PM

Second, second, second!!!

Dark skies.

Jack

edwincjones
Close Enough

Re: New S + T for Feb 2013 goes off topic new [Re: mountain monk]
      #5623295 - 01/14/13 07:41 PM

I agree-shut it down,
please

edj

BobinKy
Post Laureate

#5623368 - 01/14/13 08:31 PM

Me too.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #5624132 - 01/15/13 10:26 AM

Done....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 9362

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics