Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home page

Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
operascope
sage

Reged: 09/03/08

Loc: Canada
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: Tony Flanders]
      #5638546 - 01/23/13 10:02 AM

Very good points, Tony. As well, many smaller stores are also fighting the online sales by live events at the stores, everything from author readings and signings to speed dating and wine tasting. The most successful stores today have become more than just places to store books for customers to buy.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hm insulators
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/22/07

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: GDN]
      #5640625 - 01/24/13 12:58 PM

Quote:

Printed books will always be available. Bottom line: they don't need batteries, power cords, or sunlight recharging. And, I can continue to read while the plane is taking off or landing.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

And when you need to "do your thing," it's easier to carry a book into the bathroom instead of a computer.

JayinUT
I'm not Sleepy

Reged: 09/19/08

Loc: Utah
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: hm insulators]
      #5641488 - 01/24/13 09:05 PM

I disagree that printed books will stick around. First, it seems that most who have posted are like me, past 40 to 50 and beyond. The upcoming generation is a tech generation and they go for what they are use to and that is going to be books available online. School books over the next 20 years will move from hard bound books to books online. All of my teacher manuals are online copies right now. As a new generation migrates off of standard books, books are going to evolve and that new generation will be more comfortable with a digital version than with a hard bound book. It's easier to use a tablet to access a book or information than to lug around several textbooks in a backpack or from the library or from a bookstore. For that matter I believe you can see magazines moving to an online format. Look at S&T with their digital format. I have found I much prefer the digital format. For that matter if I could pay a fee by article to download past Sue French Deep Sky articles I want or don't have. Anyway, though not a perfect format right now, in 20 years paper books and magazines will have evolved. Watch for the first digital tablet astronomy magazine to come online when someone young in the hobby catches the vision. I love books, I own many, many books, several thousand but the day of the traditional book's is heading toward a sunset. Soon collectors and enthusiasts will be those who own and pursue books.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: JayinUT]
      #5641648 - 01/24/13 10:24 PM

Quote:

if I could pay a fee by article to download past Sue French Deep Sky articles I want

Just buy her two books, Celestial Sampler & Deep Sky Wonders, they are both copies of past columns.

LivingNDixie
TSP Chowhound

Reged: 04/23/03

Loc: Trussville, AL
      #5641697 - 01/24/13 10:58 PM

Quote:

I disagree that printed books will stick around. First, it seems that most who have posted are like me, past 40 to 50 and beyond. The upcoming generation is a tech generation and they go for what they are use to and that is going to be books available online. School books over the next 20 years will move from hard bound books to books online. All of my teacher manuals are online copies right now. As a new generation migrates off of standard books, books are going to evolve and that new generation will be more comfortable with a digital version than with a hard bound book. It's easier to use a tablet to access a book or information than to lug around several textbooks in a backpack or from the library or from a bookstore. For that matter I believe you can see magazines moving to an online format. Look at S&T with their digital format. I have found I much prefer the digital format. For that matter if I could pay a fee by article to download past Sue French Deep Sky articles I want or don't have. Anyway, though not a perfect format right now, in 20 years paper books and magazines will have evolved. Watch for the first digital tablet astronomy magazine to come online when someone young in the hobby catches the vision. I love books, I own many, many books, several thousand but the day of the traditional book's is heading toward a sunset. Soon collectors and enthusiasts will be those who own and pursue books.

A fully dedicated astronomy magazine available only online. Very interesting. However most people think that anything on the Internet should be free. That could be what hurts it.

CounterWeight
Postmaster

Reged: 10/05/08

Loc: Palo alto, CA.
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5642105 - 01/25/13 08:43 AM

I think it a mistake to assume everyone can afford a computer, connection, printer, etablets and smart phones - c'mon folks... but a bigger mistake in concept to think that all books lend themselvs 'well' to the digital format.

Counter example... my daughter and her friends spend very little time at all on the web and are avid readers of printed books.

I remember hearing this question 15 or so years ago at a party of tech folks, I remeber laughing then, and I still am. Thinking that somehow folks will read books if they are on a 'gadget', I disagree. The sad fact IMO is that too many adults I know are not avid readers, and many don't many books at all. Take away printed books and put everything digital and require the attending gadgets and we'll have an even more ignorant population... that is my prediction. I feel that is not only something to worry about but to work to abate.

There are places where I feel digital makes itself necessary and important and books maybe a good example? It's very unclear to me just who is saving what or benefitting how that something be 'online only' in terms of books. Having it as an option might be good in ways, but 'only' is not an option. Local printing and binding not inexpensive at all if I want something that will be of quality construction and hold up over the years.

Since the invention of the printing press books have done their job nicely. There isn't anything to 'fix' in what a book is. I feel the demise of the brick and mortar stores more a comment on how many do not read books and instead watch the TV or play computer games (many of which are unfortunatly extremely violent and not educational in any way) or watch movies on either. At our local libraries folks are not reading books on computers, they are doing research or browsing and emailing. I'm frustrated that they must spend some of the money on computers instead of their collections, but I do agree it does help those that cannot afford a computer and libraries are a community sevice.

The disappearance of brick and mortar bookstores is more to do with our unending need for convenience, something for nothing mentality, and the unending want / need for 'more' for our own efforts... until it's our job is on the block. It's not just books that have suffered. There is good and bad in the digital revolution.

[qoute]Soon collectors and enthusiasts will be those who own and pursue books.

I think this is and has always been the case. For others it might be wines, or eyepieces or ... and possibly in same way it's not so much what they are but what they can provide outside the delivery medium.

We have several brick and mortar bookstores with walking distance of my home. I often compare the difference in price between them and 'the web' and in reality, including shipping... and cost of a computer, and web connection I save nothing buying over the web. Even it is one or a few dollars more I'll buy the local copy to support the local brick and mortar economy.

Interesting times to be sure. I walk into a store and buy something with $50- bill and I get looked at and so does the $... use plastic and they don't even blink. This is happening on our watch folks. I'm not drinking that kool-aid.

It takes planning and effort to physically go to a bookstore and buy with cash, can't do it at 2am when I can't sleep and difficult to be impulsive or whimsical with discretionary funds that way. If no bookstore... that IMO is a problem

A good topic to revisit in another 15 years?

okieav8rAdministrator
I'd rather be flying!

Reged: 03/01/09

Loc: Oklahoma!
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5642141 - 01/25/13 09:01 AM

Speaking for myself, the older I get, the less tech literate I seem to be. I used to be up on it, but now, not so much. Long live books!

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: okieav8r]
      #5642306 - 01/25/13 10:39 AM

Surely for a very long time as there'll always be a demand for printed (school/university) books...
The digital age will be a period during which mankind lost most of its data (there's more around and not all of it is taken in backup as it should be). Moreover current formats might be unreadable by the next decade...

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: PhilCo126]
      #5642464 - 01/25/13 12:15 PM

Quote:

Surely for a very long time as there'll always be a demand for printed (school/university) books...

It's rash to use the word "surely" when speaking of the future. It's easy to think of technologies that have been wiped out virtually overnight, like phonograph records. And the technology that destroyed them is itself critically endangered.

On the other hand, it's easy to think of technologies that weren't wiped out. Radio took on a smaller role when TV was introduced, but it's still going strong. Bicycles have, if anything, increased in importance.

My hunch is that books are going to be one of the survivors. I would be very surprised if they stopped being printed in large quantities while any of the people reading this is still alive. But I have been surprised before.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

#5642468 - 01/25/13 12:16 PM

Quote:

And when you need to "do your thing," it's easier to carry a book into the bathroom instead of a computer.

Hmm, this opens whole new horizons. Should we be rating laptops on absorbency?

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: CounterWeight]
      #5642472 - 01/25/13 12:20 PM

Quote:

I think it a mistake to assume everyone can afford a computer, connection, printer, etablets and smart phones.

Judging by my experience walking the streets of Boston and New York, almost everybody in the U.S. can afford a smart phone. Even if they have to go hungry or sleep in the streets.

No disagreement with your other points; books do have numerous clear advantages. But price isn't one of them.

blb
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/25/05

Loc: Piedmont NC
      #5642674 - 01/25/13 02:13 PM

Quote:

Speaking for myself, the older I get, the less tech literate I seem to be. I used to be up on it, but now, not so much. Long live books!

I hear you there Rex. I too feel that way so I too say long live the book.

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 03/28/11

#5644374 - 01/26/13 01:06 PM

Quote:

Newspapers are definitely becoming a thing of the past. 24/ CNN news and 24/7 internet news and computer stock updates/trading make newspapers old news. You can almost always get more current/realtime news online (or on cable).

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

#5644379 - 01/26/13 01:10 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Printed books will always be available. Bottom line: they don't need batteries, power cords, or sunlight recharging. And, I can continue to read while the plane is taking off or landing.

Cheers,

Jerry

G.O.Dobek, FRAS

And if your like my girls, you don't need to worry about dropping your iPhone (or nook) into the toilet!

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: LivingNDixie]
      #5644387 - 01/26/13 01:15 PM

Quote:

A fully dedicated astronomy magazine available only online. Very interesting. However most people think that anything on the Internet should be free. That could be what hurts it.

But free for customer means smaller sceens with advertising all around. Eeven cable now has advertising, when we pay for it (and no advertising used to be the initial push for why you would want to pay to watch "free" TV.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: operascope]
      #5644497 - 01/26/13 02:25 PM

Quote:

......Of course, there will still be speciality publishers like William Bell, and perhaps they will expand to fill the need.

The couple that owns W-B are “into their retirement years”. I wonder how much longer they’ll keep it going? I’d bet that this is a small business that would be difficult to sell.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5644533 - 01/26/13 02:44 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Hmm, this opens whole new horizons. Should we be rating laptops on absorbency?

At least 10 years ago I had business reasons to visit at least one IBM facility. The company had installed TV screens in the employee bathrooms…. to show adds for IBM products! Maybe that was to get them back to work faster?

George N
Carpal Tunnel

#5644545 - 01/26/13 02:50 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I think it a mistake to assume everyone can afford a computer, connection, printer, etablets and smart phones.

Judging by my experience walking the streets of Boston and New York, almost everybody in the U.S. can afford a smart phone. Even if they have to go hungry or sleep in the streets.

No disagreement with your other points; books do have numerous clear advantages. But price isn't one of them.

In sub-Saharan Africa, where people make $900/year, a third already have smart phones and iPads are selling like crazy.

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: George N]
      #5644550 - 01/26/13 02:53 PM

....and here's a little "on-line reading", with stats on falling book sales: web page and web page

faackanders2
Carpal Tunnel

Re: How Long Will Printed Books Be Available? new [Re: George N]
      #5645207 - 01/26/13 10:19 PM

Quote:

....and here's a little "on-line reading", with stats on falling book sales: web page and web page

Sad for us who like printed and bound books.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6050

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics