Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
weezy
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 02/13/04

Loc: East of the sun-west of the mo...
S&T
      #6134494 - 10/13/13 08:39 AM

Decided I no longer want the magazine, tried the online version, but I don't have the computer requirements and it's a pain to get to the PDF.

I just realized, there is no place on the S&T site to delete your membership! If anyone knows how to delete, I'd appreciate it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: S&T new [Re: weezy]
      #6134680 - 10/13/13 10:24 AM

Why do you need to delete your "membership"? FWIW, I find the digital editons freaking ROCK, even on my low-powered netbook.

Edited by rmollise (10/13/13 10:26 AM)

Rick Woods
Postmaster

Reged: 01/27/05

Loc: Inner Solar System
Re: S&T new [Re: rmollise]
      #6135039 - 10/13/13 01:37 PM

Call them.

ianatcn
sage

Reged: 05/26/10

Loc: Hampshire, UK
Re: S&T new [Re: Rick Woods]
      #6136373 - 10/14/13 07:21 AM

I will never dispense with the printed copies but as Uncle Rod pointed out you get an HD tablet and the digital images are astounding in their quality. Since I purchased my tablet computer I have enjoyed reading the two in tandem. Plus when I travel I have access to all the back issues as well. I am coming up to 40 years of subscribing to Sky & Telescope and have to say that in those decades it has only ever improved!

weezy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: S&T new [Re: ianatcn]
      #6136484 - 10/14/13 09:14 AM

Mostly advertising, articles I'm not interested in, and a desire to see them fix any statistics they are using about membership.

I am keeping the issues of that beginner mag. What's up * here is a lot better and more interesting.

I've tossed all the S&T and Astronomy mags in the garbage. Have no room for them and no one around here wants them.

I can only get the digital editions as PDF and it's a pain. I'm not changing my computer habits for Zinio. I didn't want the app.

I have most of the Android apps and have no need for the sky charts any more.

Edited by weezy (10/14/13 09:22 AM)

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
      #6136578 - 10/14/13 10:23 AM

One subscribes to a magazine, it's not a club with membership. You need to call us to cancel your subscription; the number is on our website.

Edited by okieav8r (10/14/13 12:20 PM)

opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
Re: S&T new [Re: swalker]
      #6136761 - 10/14/13 11:52 AM

I greatly greatly appreciate Sky and Tel and been subscribing since I was 16 years old. Now at 64, only got 2 mores years to be a 50 year subscriber. Surrounding myself with a lifetime of astro friends, magazines, atlas's, starparties and chasing eclipses has given a great opportunity to explore life, the world and our universe. We are really in the best of times and places.

Thanks Sky & Tel for your inspiration!!!

rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

#6136825 - 10/14/13 12:19 PM

Quote:

Mostly advertising

You are wrong from the get-go, alas.

csa/montana
Den Mama

Reged: 05/14/05

Loc: montana
Re: S&T new [Re: rmollise]
      #6137008 - 10/14/13 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Mostly advertising

You are wrong from the get-go, alas.

Agreed. I also enjoy what advertising there is! After a couple of years of not subscribing to S&T, I just re-subscribed and am anxious to start getting this great magazine once again!

One other note; when I was previously subscribing, I had a problem & called them. The staff went over & beyond any expectations in helping me, and was so friendly & helpful!

Mark9473
Postmaster

Reged: 07/21/05

Loc: 51N 4E
Re: S&T new [Re: csa/montana]
      #6137528 - 10/14/13 05:30 PM

Alas, the subscription staff from yesteryear has moved on to greener pastures, so it seems. Upon trying to renew my order end of last year, the order failed three times in a row and they didn't even bother to alert me something was wrong with the online order I placed - despite getting a confirmation e-mail every time.

In the end my subscription lapsed. I now have a digital subscription but it's just not the same.

helpwanted
Post Laureate

Reged: 07/04/07

Loc: Phoenix, AZ
Re: S&T new [Re: Mark9473]
      #6137915 - 10/14/13 09:42 PM

When I was a kid, I learned a lot about telescopes, eyepieces, and everything else... By reading the ads!

weezy
Carpal Tunnel

Re: S&T new [Re: helpwanted]
      #6138498 - 10/15/13 08:19 AM

There is a membership account on S&T website for a forum.You CAN'T delete it.

I can still read ads online. I am not interested in astrophotography or physics, how to see stuff with large scopes as I don't have one, nor do I want one. The only thing of interest was the binocular forum.

There's a 60mm club on Yahoo that is more informative.

swalker
Imaging Editor - Sky & Telescope

Reged: 01/22/07

Loc: 42.9225°N, 71.2242°W
      #6138800 - 10/15/13 11:08 AM

Well that's different, but its not like it charges you to be a member of a forum.

Tony Flanders
Postmaster

Reged: 05/18/06

Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA
      #6138903 - 10/15/13 12:09 PM

Quote:

There is a membership account on S&T website for a forum.

Aha! Now I know what you're talking about -- web registration. It's what allows you to comment on articles and use our Interactive Observing Tools. Otherwise, our website looks just the same to registrants and non-registrants.

Web registration is completely independent of subscribing to the magazine, either in print or online. And of course it's free.

Indeed, although you can change all the settings for your web registration, you can't delete it. That's a bug -- it ought to be possible. But since web registration has no negative consequences, few people ever complain.

Anyway, you can ask the web master (mistress?) to delete your web registration by e-mail to help&skyandtelescope.com. Or you can send a PM through Cloudy Nights or an e-mail to me at tflanders@skyandtelescope.com. (I used to be webmaster.)

Tony Flanders
Associate Editor, Sky & Telescope

George N
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/19/06

Loc: Binghamton & Indian Lake NY
      #6141048 - 10/16/13 02:36 PM

Quote:

I've tossed all the S&T and Astronomy mags in the garbage. Have no room for them and no one around here wants them.

I've found that the folks at the local nursing homes are quite happy to get any old magazines that they can, since the residents do not have enough money to subscribe to any.

ErixAdministrator
Toad Lily

Reged: 12/25/04

Loc: Texas, USA
Re: S&T new [Re: George N]
      #6141448 - 10/16/13 06:12 PM

Quote:

Quote:

I've found that the folks at the local nursing homes are quite happy to get any old magazines that they can, since the residents do not have enough money to subscribe to any.

I also donated a lot of my old magazines to the local library in the past. They always seemed happy to receive them.

PhilCo126
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/14/05

Loc: coastline of Belgium
Re: S&T new [Re: Erix]
      #6142234 - 10/17/13 02:41 AM

S&T is great but I would like to see more articles on professional observatories and/or observatories with historic telescopes...

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: S&T new [Re: helpwanted]
      #6145637 - 10/18/13 09:23 PM

Quote:

When I was a kid, I learned a lot about telescopes, eyepieces, and everything else... By reading the ads!

It's the only magazine in which I even notice the ads!

opticsguy
sage

Reged: 02/02/09

Loc: Washington State
Re: S&T new [Re: desertstars]
      #6146560 - 10/19/13 12:01 PM

I think Sky & Tel magazine is great no matter what they publish. I often review back issues, 2, 5, 10 years ago and always stunned by the information that I had forgotten. All the articles on observing are still true today and a great resource.

A positive attitude with positive energy will keep your enthusiasm in this or any hobby quite high. If you find your enthusiasm low, it is certainly not the fault of any magazine.

I am reviewing a past article about blackholes and making a short list of objects to view in the night sky.

Thank you Sky & Tel!!!!

CelestronDaddy
scholastic sledgehammer

Reged: 08/22/09

Re: S&T new [Re: opticsguy]
      #6146698 - 10/19/13 01:21 PM

+1 I enjoy reading it every month

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
4 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1496

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics