Speciality Forums >> Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
rmollise
Postmaster

Reged: 07/06/07

Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: Tom Polakis]
      #6143548 - 10/17/13 07:10 PM

Quote:

Does anybody in this discussion know Ken Fulton personally? I always wondered what became of him. I think he was located in Texas, but that's about all I know. Did he belong to clubs in the area?

I read his book when it was first published, and had some good laughs at his take on the Celestron-Meade rivalry, among other subjects.

Tom

I've corresponded with him in fairly recent times. If I recall, he is still interested in astronomy, just not the astronomy writing business, and didn't seem interested in updating/revising his book. Which is a shame. The book is mostly still very, very readable. I did find his "Acme telescope company trope" a little irritating--then and now. If you are talking about Celestron and Meade, just say "Celestron and Meade" for frak's sake. HOWEVER, it is still a classic.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Astrosetz
professor emeritus

Reged: 10/05/03

Loc: Wisconsin
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: rmollise]
      #6144018 - 10/18/13 12:03 AM

The descriptions of the "telescope wars" ads were priceless. Gotta watch out for that photon splatter!

Michael Rapp
Post Laureate

Reged: 04/27/04

Loc: Dickinson, TX
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: Astrosetz]
      #6144442 - 10/18/13 08:59 AM

It is one of my favorite parts of the book. Indeed, it made my look at some promotional material I've been drooling over recently and made me pause, "hey, these guys are trying to sell me something here. You know, Ken's right....I don't know a thing about coatings....and I'm all giddy that one manufacturer has 40 layers of coating instead of 30." Much truth in his book.

What is also interesting is that while he parodies the ads to great effect, he is also extremely fair to the companies. His analogy of ads as bait is spot on; moreover, his discussion of small companies and delivery time promises later on in the book is very pragmatic.

GeneT
Ely Kid

Reged: 11/07/08

Loc: South Texas
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: Michael Rapp]
      #6163685 - 10/28/13 11:36 PM

It is a great, fun book. I'm with you. I don't like astronomy programs where you work through a lot of objects on a list. That is a goal oriented approach. I like the free wheeling approach.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: GeneT]
      #6163798 - 10/29/13 12:38 AM

I've had a copy sitting around for years. A non-astronomer co-worker came across it while helping out at a neighbor's yard sale, and picked it up for me. Sounds like I should dig it out and give it a read.

Rich (RLTYS)
Postmaster

Reged: 12/18/04

Loc: New York (Long Island)
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: desertstars]
      #6164164 - 10/29/13 09:01 AM

Please, read this excellent book.

Rich (RLTYS)

Mark F

Reged: 08/05/07

Loc: Texas
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: starbux]
      #6180280 - 11/07/13 01:08 AM

I read that book when it first came out. I thought it was a great book, and kept the hobby of amateur astronomy "real." I still have my copy, I need to read it again.

desertstars

Reged: 11/05/03

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: Rich (RLTYS)]
      #6181516 - 11/07/13 05:27 PM

Quote:

Please, read this excellent book.

Rich (RLTYS)

It's been removed from the middle of a stack and placed on top of a stack. When I'm finished with Sheehan's Planets & Perception...

Unknownastron
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/05

Loc: CatsEye Observatory,Rural Sout...
Re: The Light-Hearted Astronomer new [Re: desertstars]
      #6204983 - 11/20/13 12:26 AM

I need to find my copy and re-read it. I loved it, I thought it gave the pragmatic ideas everyone in this hobby needs, especially people just starting out. I think the already mentioned chapter "The Universe is a Harsh Mistress" is my favorite. It very clearly and compellingly puts forth the argument that skill, at anything, cannot be bought. When I have done public talks I always explain that getting an expensive telescope will not allow you to see everything you want to any more than an expensive guitar will allow you to play like Eric Clapton or the same brand of golf clubs Tiger Woods uses will allow you to play as well.
I recommend this book highly.
Clear skies and clean glass,
Mike

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
1 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Geo557, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1613

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics