Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
freemanpa
journeyman

Reged: 06/16/10

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Jeff Smith]
      #3939289 - 07/23/10 11:22 AM

The pictures posted in message #3936128 are of my equipment (EdgeHD 11" and Canon 50D DSLR) and it's also my shot of NGC6992. I've had limited time out in non-foggy Ohio skies but I was happy with that shot. It was taken the same evening as when the picture of the setup was also taken.

The only reason the flat was not applied was simply that I forgot it until after I had switched to f/10 for a comparison shot. Jeff did ask me to apply a flat that I got through nearly-identical setup the following weekend, which I did, and it did a nice job of eliminating the lighter center. I am at work now or I would post that shot, if I can remember after getting home I will do so. Jeff does have that shot now also.

Overall, I have been quite happy with the image quality using Optec's FR. Next up is to try the same thing all over again using their TCF-Si focuser, which is being delivered today!

Here's hoping the Ohio skies cooperate over the next few weeks...

-- Pat Freeman

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bowmoreman
Clear enough skies

Reged: 09/11/06

Loc: Bolton, MA
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: freemanpa]
      #3939345 - 07/23/10 11:57 AM

Hey Pat, welcome to CN and thanks for sharing your information with us.

Looking forward to having you as another active participant!

clear enough skies

Jeff Smith
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/06/10

Loc: Chicago
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Bowmoreman]
      #3939755 - 07/23/10 03:17 PM

Thanks for chiming in Pat. When I chatted with Jeff at Optec, I was unclear if the focal reducer you used in those pictures was a production model or if you were testing it out for Optec. Either way, Jeff seems excited about your particular setup and it's results so far. I hope you don't mind me posting those pictures of your setup and your shot of NGC6992. They inspiring for those of us that hate imaging in f/10 and waiting for a focal reducer solution for the Edge HD's.

Jeff Smith
professor emeritus

#3939762 - 07/23/10 03:19 PM

It looks like OPT is selling the Lepus FR now and they also claim that it works with the Edge HD series and the Meade ACF series. http://www.optcorp.com/product.aspx?pid=105-172-173-15316

Nocturnal
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 09/14/05

Loc: CT, USA
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: bradisback]
      #3939841 - 07/23/10 03:56 PM

Optec is here at MWAIC in Chicago so I'll ask them about this and report back.

freemanpa
journeyman

#3941847 - 07/24/10 04:47 PM Attachment (277 downloads)

Hi Jeff, no worries at all for posting those shots...I sent them to Jeff at Optec for his use anyway. I must say I was a bit surprised to see them here on CN, though.

Anyway, as promised, here is the same shot of NGC6992 with a flat-field applied from the week after the original shot.

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #3941892 - 07/24/10 05:12 PM

Pat,
That is a beautiful shot of the Veil. Looks like Optec/Lepus beat Celestron to the punch here. Thanks to you and Jeff I have just figured out where my next $260 is going!! Astrophotography...the hobby that just keeps on taking!!

Thanks for sharing and welcome to Cloudy Nights!

nemo129
Post Laureate

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: nemo129]
      #3941920 - 07/24/10 05:26 PM

One thing I just noticed on the OPT website was the only DSLR adapter they sell for the Optec Lepus 0.62x Reducer is for Canon cameras right now. I hope they do not leave out the other brands of DSLR on the market. I realize this is a new product, so maybe those adapters will be coming. SOmething to keep in mind if you have a Nikon, Sony or other brand DSLR.

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #3941987 - 07/24/10 06:05 PM

Kirk

I am not sure the camera adapter is specific for each camera...my thoughts on this would hold true specifically for the T-Ring, not the adapter....Hmmmm??? I will have to call OPT on this one.

Jeff Smith
professor emeritus

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: ewave]
      #3942051 - 07/24/10 06:44 PM

There is an adapter for each camera made by Optec. They are $60.00 each if memory serves me. The combination of the focal reducer, adapter and spacing will provide the needed reduction according to Jeff at Optec.

nemo129
Post Laureate

#3942161 - 07/24/10 07:58 PM

Sean,
Good idea to call. I just trolled through the 3 pages of camera adapters they link to on the FR page. link Lots of SBIG adapters and other CCD's but none specific to any other brand of DSLR except the Canon. Maybe the Canon one is just general enough for any DSLR...I am not sure if the adapter has a t-ring on it. Maybe Pat can chime in since he has one and there are no pictures on the OPT site yet. I have a Canon, so I am not worried. I just remebered that you have a Nikon and Donnie has a Sony.

Jerry Hyman
sage

Reged: 03/29/07

Loc: Mesa, Arizona
      #3942218 - 07/24/10 08:37 PM

What do you folks think about this FR for visual? Would most eyepieces come to focus?

~jerry

freemanpa
journeyman

#3942225 - 07/24/10 08:39 PM

Actually, I have two adapters. One is specifically for the Canon. The other is specific to my SBIG ST8300M CCD camera with filter wheel, but it just has a T-thread on one end because that's how the ST8300M is attached. These adapters have barrels with specific lengths that are joined to the camera adapters (Canon bayonet or T-thread). I just checked and even the Canon adapter is simply a barrel of specific length with a T-thread on it, onto which a standard Canon bayonet T-adapter is attached. I would suggest working with Jeff at Optec to get a Nikon adapter. It's probably about as simple as determining the needed length of the barrel, since Nikon probably needs to be a few mm different in length since the Nikon and Canon focal planes are probably slightly different, which I seem to remember is the case. Or, if they are close enough, just buy the Canon and replace the T-adapter on it with the Nikon version.

nemo129
Post Laureate

#3942365 - 07/24/10 10:29 PM

Pat,
Thanks for the info. I am sure it will help out the interested parties here. The suggestion to speak directly to Optec regarding specific configurations is good advice.

ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #3942885 - 07/25/10 08:22 AM

Thanks guys.....I will call them Monday...just seems to me there is a standard male thread that screws into the female t-ring of each camera, that's all....spacing should not be an issue, unless we are talking about the spacing of the FR to the sensor ....I was also told by Celestron that the 5.25" recommended flange to sensor distance does have some wiggle room to about a quarter of an inch for fine results.

Can anyone post a picture of this Canon adapter?

Edited by ewave (07/25/10 08:43 AM)

Jeff Smith
professor emeritus

#3942935 - 07/25/10 09:03 AM

Quote:

Can anyone post a picture of this Canon adapter?

Look on page one of this thread.

freemanpa
journeyman

#3942940 - 07/25/10 09:08 AM

Hi Sean, the first picture in message #3936128 shows this adapter, installed on my EdgeHD 11". More specifically, it's inserted into an Astro-Physics rear-cell adapter...if using a electric focuser, that Optec adapter would insert into the focuser instead. The Optec adapter does indeed establish the distance from the FR to the sensor. The FR is inserted into the end of the Optec adapter closest to the telescope...you can see one of the set screws that holds it into the Optec adapter in message #3936128, on the end closest to the Astro-Physics piece. The camera end is simply a T-thread with a standard Canon T-adapter attached. You can see the edge of that T-adapter at the camera end in the picture.

-- Pat Freeman

PatHolland
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 10/11/09

Loc: Clever, Missouri
      #3962938 - 08/04/10 02:59 AM

I've just ordered one for my ACF scope. Although the Meade .63 focal reducer does work fine with the ACF, there is a bit of "stretched star" activity on the edges of my images when the Meade reducer is used. I'll test it as soon as it is received and I'll post images and a quick review.

Jeff Smith
professor emeritus

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer [Re: PatHolland]
      #3967935 - 08/06/10 04:00 PM

I just got mine in the mail from Optec .

elwaine
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 06/18/06

Loc: Jupiter
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer [Re: Jeff Smith]
      #3970170 - 08/07/10 10:54 PM

Pat,

Quite a nice image of the Veil. But I have a question regarding the use of flat field correction in the Edge HD series.

Without dividing the image by the flat, there is quite a striking central light zone, as you yourself mentioned. Celestron advertises the Edge series as having an "...optical system [which] was designed to reduce more than just off-axis star coma, but also to give an astrograph quality flat focal plane all the way to the edge of the field of view."

In fact, there is an image of a galaxy at the bottom of the page on this Celestron site that shows a uniform exposure across the entire frame and no central light zone. It does not appear to have been flat field corrected (see the two dust donuts to the left of the galaxy core when you zoom in to enlarge the image).

So, if the field is flat, I'm thinking that the striking central light zone in your first image is caused by the FR. Is that correct? If it is, do all FRs cause such non-uniform fields of illumination?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
23 registered and 22 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50376

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics