Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)
sfastroman
journeyman

Reged: 10/31/09

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: sfastroman]
      #5011291 - 01/10/12 08:38 PM

OMG! Ask and ye shall receive...

Celestron EdgeHD .7x focal reducer

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ewave
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 05/16/09

Loc: northwest NJ
      #5011294 - 01/10/12 08:41 PM

It looks like the R&D for these is gonna cost the consumer. Ka ching $$.
It might make more sense to invest that money in a Starizona Hyperstar kit and shoot at F2

gosavich

Reged: 12/22/08

Loc: Tempe, Arizona, USA
      #5011337 - 01/10/12 09:12 PM

Quote:

•Maintains similar flat-field performance as native Edge HD optical design

-gotta love the subjective word "similar" in one of the quick overview bullet points. Good luck to anyone who purchases one. We will all be anxious to view the results.

Patrick
Postmaster

Reged: 05/16/03

Loc: Franklin, Ohio
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: gosavich]
      #5011395 - 01/10/12 10:04 PM

$600...Wow. No wonder it's taken them so long to come out with one. C must have really backed themselves into a corner with the Edge design if that's what they're having to do to get a reducer out on the market.

Patrick

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Reged: 11/06/08

Loc: Türkiye - Istanbul and Marmar...
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Patrick]
      #5011633 - 01/11/12 01:12 AM Attachment (141 downloads)

I am glad that I have invested time and money into developing a method to use Astro-Physics CCDT67 reducer with my C11 Edge. It works beautifully and I won't be buying the Celestron reducer. I don't see any advantage of it over my setup with CCDT67.

Expect AP and Optec prices to go up in the meantime

By the way, when I wanted to download the product manual of 94240, attached is what I've got: 94241 reducer lense for C11 Edge! The file name and the contents differ.

sfastroman
journeyman

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: bilgebay]
      #5012204 - 01/11/12 12:55 PM

I noticed the wrong product manual issue you mentioned as well. It looks like Celestron just posted the info asap without reviewing it first. The descriptive text is a bit ambiguous as well. Regarding the backfocus when using the reducer: If it is true that the backfocus remains exactly the same, that will be a huge plus for me. I need all of that distance with my imaging train.

Edited by sfastroman (01/11/12 07:40 PM)

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
      #5012221 - 01/11/12 01:05 PM

Quote:

If it is true that the backfocus remains exactly the same, that will be a huge issue for me. I need all of that distance with my imaging train.

Are you saying that the F/10 back focus is already too short for your imaging equipment? 133mm for C-8 EdgeHD or 146mm (if you remove the 3.25"-to-SCT adapter) for 9.25" or larger EdgeHD are already quite long, even longer than F/6.3 focal reducer (105mm) for regular SCT.

Peter

sfastroman
journeyman

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #5012515 - 01/11/12 04:29 PM

Hi Peter,

My imaging train consists of a Starlight XPress SXV-AO-LF adaptive optics unit with the integrated off-axis guider connected to my SBIG ST-10XME with an integrated filter-wheel. I had Precise Parts manufacture connecting parts to come to a total length of 146 mm to the imaging chip. I could attach the imaging train as-is to the EdgeHD14, but at f/11, the exposure length is pretty long and imaging of galaxies and nebulae with my camera is difficult at best. Using any of the other focual reducers that will work with the EdgeHD brings the optimum back-focus length down to 105mm (or so). It's impossible to configure my imaging train to that length. So, if the Celestron claim that the optimum focal length remains at 146 mm while using their reducer is correct, I should be good to go. We'll have to see about that though.

Cheers, Glenn

Edited by sfastroman (01/11/12 07:54 PM)

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
      #5012532 - 01/11/12 04:39 PM

Quote:

If it is true that the backfocus remains exactly the same, that will be a huge issue for me. I need all of that distance with my imaging train.

Ok, then it looks like you need to fix your grammar a bit because it looks like you said it's going to be a huge issue if the spacers are the same for F/10 or with F/7 focal reducer. Do you mean to say something like "this will be a huge plus"?

Do you have an EdgeHD C-14 or regular C-14? The new focal reducer won't work with regular C-14.

Peter

Edited by Peter in Reno (01/11/12 04:41 PM)

sfastroman
journeyman

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Peter in Reno]
      #5012799 - 01/11/12 08:07 PM

Thanks Peter and sorry for the confusion. I corrected that text in my previous posts. I do own an EdgeHD14.

Cheers, Glenn

Edited by sfastroman (01/11/12 08:09 PM)

OneDaveT
sage

Reged: 10/24/11

Loc: IL, USA
      #5013048 - 01/11/12 10:47 PM

I'm guessing it's an initial price. As in, new product to market for a new line of scopes. C's marketing guys don't want to short themselves by pricing less than what customers are willing to pay. Instead, squeeze the first movers who are dying to get their hands on an FR for EdgeHD. It certainly leaves room for big discounts at the next harvest moon sale.... which perhaps may become a permasale. It wouldn't be the first time such a rollout happened.

Meanwhile, I'll stick with my almost 5 stop reducing hyperstar, and try to come with some reason why I need a $600 1 stop FR.

sfastroman
journeyman

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: OneDaveT]
      #5014109 - 01/12/12 03:38 PM

I have a Hyperstar lens for my EdgeHD14 too. It does a great job for most wide-field objects. For most galaxies, I need much more resolution that I'm able to get using the Hyperstar lens with my camera. I'm hoping that the reducer will allow me to do just that. Also, I'm not able to use my Adaptive Optics unit with the Hyperstar lens. It would create too much of a central obstruction.

Skyshooter
professor emeritus

Reged: 04/07/08

Loc: S. Utah, U.S.A.
      #5018643 - 01/15/12 10:58 AM

This price is quite disturbing. I feel sorry for all those HD buyers that were given the impression that the FR would be coming "soon", had to wait years and then SURPRISE! Wow, I'm sure it will be pretty nice. If not it's gonna cause a commotion!

Cheers!
Ed

vdb
sage

Reged: 12/08/09

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Skyshooter]
      #5044043 - 01/29/12 11:52 AM

600$ if it is for a full frame camera it's a bargain if not ... then it doesn't make sense ... spot size is something I would like to learn ... why can't they just post quntifying info?

Rick R.
journeyman

Reged: 12/05/11

Loc: center of known universe
Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: vdb]
      #5046996 - 01/30/12 11:08 PM

Ok I know this is probably a total nube question, but why wouldn't the Denkmeyer power switch diagonal not work with the HD scopes? I was about to invest in one, but I have a new CPC9.25 Edge Hd scope and am now concerned about this diagonal's usefulness as a focal reducer. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated, especially from anyone who may have used this combo.

BTW, the views with the scope are very crisp and with 2" eyepieces one certainly gets that walking in space feel!

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Rick R.]
      #5047277 - 01/31/12 05:50 AM

Who said that ? Mine was working perfectly until I sold it. Now I have an Earthwin power/filter switch and I am not aware of any problems with that too.

Rick R.
journeyman

#5047399 - 01/31/12 08:05 AM

Quote:

Who said that ? Mine was working perfectly until I sold it. Now I have an Earthwin power/filter switch and I am not aware of any problems with that too.

Why the switch to the Earthwin, the filter aspect? Looks like they both use the WO mirror assembly. The question was posted not because someone said they would not work, but merely the concerns in this thread about focal reducers with EdgeHD scopes. I am very interested in acquiring one of those diagonals.

bilgebay
Post Laureate

Re: Edge HD Focal Reducer new [Re: Rick R.]
      #5047424 - 01/31/12 08:31 AM

Well the Denk I had was only for SCTs. Recently I acquired some refractors and needed to upgrade. Earthwin had a very good package for a very good price at NEAF last year.

The concerns here are related to the photographic use of the reducers and has nothing to do with the P/F switch diagonals.

The only issue you can have is some vignetting with wide field eyepieces. I have used 21mm Ethos in single eyepiece mode and the vignetting didn't bother me. Also 24mm Pans are ok for me in Bino mode.

alrosm
professor emeritus

Reged: 07/27/10

#5048516 - 01/31/12 06:14 PM

$600
Expensive when you see the price of the fastar lens for the same scope ($1345)

Rick R.
journeyman

#5048903 - 01/31/12 10:08 PM

Quote:

Well the Denk I had was only for SCTs. Recently I acquired some refractors and needed to upgrade. Earthwin had a very good package for a very good price at NEAF last year.

The concerns here are related to the photographic use of the reducers and has nothing to do with the P/F switch diagonals.

The only issue you can have is some vignetting with wide field eyepieces. I have used 21mm Ethos in single eyepiece mode and the vignetting didn't bother me. Also 24mm Pans are ok for me in Bino mode.

Thanx so much! am pulling the trigger on aquiring one soon.

OBTW did you catch the Werner X phenom on the lunar surface yesterday as the terminator line was in the right spot? Very transparent conditions here.

Pages: << 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 16 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 50380

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics