Return to the Cloudy Nights Telescope Reviews home pageAstronomics discounts for Cloudy Nights members
· Get a Cloudy Nights T-Shirt · Submit a Review / Article

Click here if you are having trouble logging into the forums

Privacy Policy | Please read our Terms of Service | Signup and Troubleshooting FAQ | Problems? PM a Red or a Green Gu… uh, User

Equipment Discussions >> Cats & Casses

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | (show all)
Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: BlueGrass]
      #5196613 - 04/29/12 01:54 PM

If it was the same all the way around I would not worry at all. Some preload would keep the worm in contact with the worm gear. Would take up the backlash without having to move weights to maitain east heavy. If it is not bearing preload but poor machining, bad bearings, or poorly designed clutch that is another matter. The proof in the pudding will be PE numbers and how well it performs.

I think the only real probelm is meade did not anticipate 3rd party otas not being factory aligned as drop in. They say that won't make a difference anyway.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Alph
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 11/23/06

Loc: Melmac
      #5196615 - 04/29/12 01:56 PM

Quote:

The stiffness in balancing reminds me of the Mach1. While not as stiff as your video shows for the 800, AP basically says don't worry too much about it. Get it in the ballpark and the Mach1 will track fine. And for AP mounts, that 'fine' translates to extremely well

Hmm? That comes as a surprise too me. So what AP says is east heavy, west heavy, or just well balanced does not matter at all - interesting. Nevertheless I think there is something amiss here with the LX800. The threaded shaft supposed to help to fine balance the mount. Meade, my head is spinning.

Whichwayisnorth
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 07/04/11

Loc: Southern California
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Stew57]
      #5196629 - 04/29/12 02:01 PM

Quote:

How is the DEC axis?

Same as RA axis.

BlueGrass
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 07/25/09

Loc: Wasatch Front, UT
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Alph]
      #5196669 - 04/29/12 02:26 PM

... Of course, the more accurate the balance the better the performance. Their point being balance doesn't have to be 100% accurate for the mount to perform well...

North: The amount of CW shift your video shows before there is axis movement does seem excessive. I don't see how you can get the balance in the ballpark much less accurate? Hopefully Meade can give you some answers or adjustments to be made.

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: sphelps]
      #5196671 - 04/29/12 02:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the update. One thing I noticed is that you might want to put a rubber bumper on the starlock counterweight so it doesn't scratch up your tripod head if it gets away from you and swings down all the way like in the video. It does seem as though the factory has the clutch preset a little stiff. This might be so it doesn't get away from you and hit the tripod head.

Looking at the video, looks like a bad design especially the starlock counter weight. It is going to take lot more iterations for Meade to get lot of things right; and lot more unknowns yet to be discovered. Hard stops could be an option but that has its own disadvantages!

Peter in Reno
Postmaster

Reged: 07/15/08

Loc: Reno, NV
      #5196674 - 04/29/12 02:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The stiffness in balancing reminds me of the Mach1. While not as stiff as your video shows for the 800, AP basically says don't worry too much about it. Get it in the ballpark and the Mach1 will track fine. And for AP mounts, that 'fine' translates to extremely well

Hmm? That comes as a surprise too me. So what AP says is east heavy, west heavy, or just well balanced does not matter at all - interesting. Nevertheless I think there is something amiss here with the LX800. The threaded shaft supposed to help to fine balance the mount. Meade, my head is spinning.

Astro-Physics specifically said that it's perfectly normal and was designed that the mount may feel tight even with the clutches loose. Their mounts use very high torque Swiss servo motors and they are so strong that they can easily handle mis-balanced setup.

Peter

mmalik
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/13/12

Loc: USA
      #5196699 - 04/29/12 02:43 PM

Quote:

Given the play, threaded shaft doesn't seem like good idea in retrospect. That might explain why AP and the likes didn't go with that. Not having locking/tightening mechanism on CWs is another issue.

WadeH237
Pooh-Bah

Reged: 02/24/07

Loc: Snohomish, WA
      #5196731 - 04/29/12 03:02 PM

I just watched the video and noticed that the declination axis is not at 90 degrees during the balance test.

If the declination axis is not perfectly in balance (and it looks to me like it might be heavy on the mirror end), it would be normal to see the behavior where one side falls easier than the other.

How does the RA balance behave when the declination axis is at 90 degrees?

Steven
sage

Reged: 01/06/04

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: WadeH237]
      #5196782 - 04/29/12 03:39 PM

I believe the clutch stiffness is a safety design. You achieve good balance when you can easily turn it "in the center". i.e. use your palm to turn on the center axis. Not at the end of the CW shaft or the OTA.

Steven

mclewis1
Thread Killer

Reged: 02/25/06

Loc: New Brunswick, Canada
Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: Steven]
      #5196815 - 04/29/12 03:55 PM

A simple fix for the loose CW issue would be a large thin nut on the CW shaft that would lock the CW in place unless it's loosened. You could probably even just hand tighten it to provide the necessary locking force against the CW.

Steven
sage

Re: Meade's new LX800... new [Re: mclewis1]
      #5196824 - 04/29/12 04:00 PM

Or cut 1/2" long of PVC pipe of correct diameter as spacer. Will need two CW to works by compressing the spacer to remove play.

Steven

Stew57
Carpal Tunnel

Reged: 05/03/09

Loc: Silsbee Texas
      #5196837 - 04/29/12 04:11 PM

I was thinkng more along the lines of a plastic ring about the diameter of the weight afixed to the weight. The weights are not the real problem to me. Being to physically align a 3rd party ota to the starlock system is important to me. It looks like an oversight to me but maybe Meade will have a good explanation for why this is unimportant.

Griffin!
sage

Reged: 09/12/10

#5196847 - 04/29/12 04:17 PM

As far as the alignment with 3rd party OTAs goes, i'm almost certain the mount is designed to work with whatever OTA you want.

What Meade probably needs to do is look back over the manual and add an addendum with clearer directions on how to do that.

Steven
sage

#5196867 - 04/29/12 04:27 PM

Quote:

... Being to physically align a 3rd party ota to the starlock system is important to me...

I though a few posts back this issue is resolved. Meade suggested "a one star alignment"?

Steven

nemo129
Post Laureate

Reged: 01/03/10

Loc: WMass
      #5197023 - 04/29/12 06:13 PM

Hi All,
Well this has been a long and glorious thread. It started on 09/15/11! Over 570 replies and over 33,000 views! Lots of speculation, good advice and information. Now that the product(s) are in the hands of several folks, the moderator staff thinks it is time that threads regarding the actual "hands on" user experience take over from here. I would ask that any mount related topics go over to Mounts forum. There is a small LX800 thread there already, but actual owners/potential owners and anyone else with a vested interest in the topic should feel free to create their own thread to address their particular experiences and or questions. Threads regarding the OTA's should of course should be created here in Cats & Casses. This thread will be locked, but will remain available for reference.

As always please direct any comments or concerns to the moderators or admins.

Thanks for your understanding.

Edit: The moderator staff decided that since this was such an information filled thread that we would make it a sticky until further notice.

Edited by nemo129 (04/30/12 06:05 PM)

Pages: << 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | (show all)

Extra information
16 registered and 25 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Cotts, Starman27, kkokkolis 

Print Thread

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 56187

Jump to

CN Forums Home

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics